Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magical Ponies
Jun 21, 2005

She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable.
In our living room, we have a ceiling fan/light fixture controlled by one switch. So, a single pole setup. The dimmer switch has always controlled only the light and the fan could be turned on by pull chain on the fixture. Recently, (the house was built in '88) the dimmer switch stopped working. The light would still work, but the switch was stuck and not easily fixable. We decided to replace it, got the stuff, and gave it a shot. The new dimmer switch (single pole, too) has two black wires and a green wire coming from it. The old switch has one black wire and one red wire coming from it. I followed the instructions on the new switch and when I turned it on, only the ceiling fan came on. The light wouldn't turn on at all. I thought it was funny since I had no idea the fan was even wired to be controlled from that wall switch.

I drew the wall and switch setup since this situation has baffled the 3 people I know who know anything about electrical stuff, including the person who wired our fan/light fixture.

There are two thin wires I left out and the white wires were not connected to anything on the original switch (just each other), so I left those alone. I used the red wire as the ground since it was used as the ground on the original switch. Someone I asked about this suggested I switch the black wires around to see if there was a configuration of them that worked. I tried that and either nothing would turn on or just the fan again. Right now, all of the black wires are connected (pigtailed, there aren't screw connections on the new or the old switch) and the fan is no longer controlled by the dimmer switch (didn't seem like a good idea) but can be turned on by pull chain. The light will not work at all.

So, either I connected something wrong, the light is just broken, or my house was wired by Urkel.

There's also a 3-way switch in another room we wanted to replace, but after this mess, I'm thinking getting someone else to do it would be awesome. With that setup, there's two dimmers upstairs and a switch that controls one of those dimmers downstairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU