Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

I'm not a contractor but he's been doing this stuff longer than I've been alive, probably longer than you've been alive. So I'll take him at his word. Like I said though, fiberoptics and such are out of his realm of knowledge so I was just trying to gather some info.

I like the idea of shielded phone lines, but is there any reason TO or NOT TO run them fiber optic as well (Can you?)

You mean run the phone lines using fiber optic cables? Do you know how fiber optic cables work? I'll assume you do, but I just want to make sure because the way I'm reading it, it doesn't really make sense to me. Also, no, there won't be interference with the fiber optic cables, I don't believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

So, I kind of need help, pronto.

I was vacuuming today, and a breaker tripped. So, I go to the panel, and find three tripped breakers, one double pole breaker, one single pole, and another single pole with a test button (AFCI, GFCI?). Everything seems to have power except two rooms which are on the same circuit according to the incorrectly labeled notes on the panel cover (which is lying on the ground...) The breaker that it says handles those two rooms isn't tripped, but I flipped that one off and on anyway, just in case. I also turned the three tripped breakers back on, and power wasn't restored to the circuit. I switched them back off then, since I really don't know where they go and I'm not keen on burning my house down.

I tried turning them back on about thirty minutes later, in case they needed to cool down. It still didn't work, and I turned them back off again. I read it might help to turn the main breaker off for five minutes, and then try again. I'll probably give that a shot, but does anyone have better ideas?

I don't believe there is a panel or anything for the two rooms. The outlets aren't GFCI and I don't believe there are any outlets between the rooms and the panel that are GFCI either.

I'm pretty drat broke right now, so I hope to not need an electrician. This is probably my landlord's responsibility, but I rent from an independent landlord who is a friend of mine, who is also kind of broke and not really available to come check this out.

EDIT: I've checked, it doesn't seem like there's any GFCI on that branch. There is a subpanel in the addition but it doesn't seem to handle that branch either (the only part of this wiring that makes sense!).

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 24, 2011