Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!

spouse posted:

Some things that happen to you will change you quite a bit, even if they're seemingly minor or small at the time. I've had that in other events in my life and I dwell on them a lot.

Now this was a small scuffle with physics instead of a stay in the hospital or worse, and sure, I'll miss those jeans, but I am not all PTSD'd. I'll definitely be staying the gently caress away from roundabouts for a while where I can, and use this as a tool to learn. Thanks as always for the posting Slavvy, you've been a big help in my riding on here :)

Glad you got out of that one with only scrapes!

I haven't had to go through this (knock on wood), so someone feel free to back me up/shoot me down, but I *think* another driver can still be at fault if they do something that makes you take sudden evasive action, even if no contact actually occurs. Good to have a camera to back up your story in a situation like that. Maybe also a good idea to add some aux lights if driving home at 9 is going to be a regular thing.

Definitely practise those roundabouts! I find the worst thing is that the surface is very unpredictable. If it's one you do daily, it could be perfect for weeks, you get in the habit of taking it fast and then it rains, or a truck with an unsecured load comes through, and suddenly it's full of poo poo again. I hate the loving things, don't get me started, but it's not like I can avoid them in the UK. When I was getting ready for my road test, I drove up to Swindon and spent 3 hours at this magical place:

Five roundabouts combine into one. Like voltron, if voltron were a lovely traffic pattern.

a cute sea otter fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

a cute sea otter posted:

I haven't had to go through this (knock on wood), so someone feel free to back me up/shoot me down, but I *think* another driver can still be at fault if they do something that makes you take sudden evasive action, even if no contact actually occurs. Good to have a camera to back up your story in a situation like that. Maybe also a good idea to add some aux lights if driving home at 9 is going to be a regular thing.

Definitely practise those roundabouts! I find the worst thing is that the surface is very unpredictable. If it's one you do daily, it could be perfect for weeks, you get in the habit of taking it fast and then it rains, or a truck with an unsecured load comes through, and suddenly it's full of poo poo again. I hate the loving things, don't get me started, but it's not like I can avoid them in the UK. When I was getting ready for my road test, I drove up to Swindon and spent 3 hours at this magical place:

Five roundabouts combine into one. Like voltron, if voltron were a lovely traffic pattern.

Who the hell thought that this was good idea. How do people not drive in the wrong direction and kill each other every twenty minutes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that looks like something I would make in Cities: Skylines

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I mean it sorta works? It's got reasonably good markings for a roundabout at least, so you just follow the arrows and give way to the right when there's a line. Just all the usual roundabout problems, times five. It backs up heavily with bad traffic, it's easy to overlook turning motorcycles or make other common traffic mistakes like jumping lanes. I suspect it makes a mess out of GPS directions, but regular commuters probably don't give it a second thought. FWIW, there are lots of articles about how 'proud' the city is that there have 'only' been 14 deaths there in 25 years. There are probably better ways to do what it does.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That's actually really clear to read/navigate to someone who uses roundabouts regularly.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream
the number of people who stop and make sure you're okay when you're sitting on the side of the road with a motorcycle is actually really heartwarming. not quite enough to make up for the fact that i ate poo poo turning left from a stop sign and broke my bike, but p good.

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

Shimrod posted:

That's actually really clear to read/navigate to someone who uses roundabouts regularly.

Not really the problem. There are multiple ways through it and not a lot of distance to change lanes between the individual minis, so entitled-feeling locals (dread white vans, looking at you) can and will pull twice the usual roundabout lane-cutting and general bullshit when it starts getting crowded.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Snapped my collar bone last December due to black ice on a roundabout. Took me ages to shake the 'oh god the front wheels going to wash out' feeling my dumb brain kept on doing after I was able to start riding again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Ow, my balls!" he thought, slamming into the back of a Grand Cherokee.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Old or new GC? I'm trying to set the scene

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Chris Knight posted:

"Ow, my balls!" he thought, slamming into the back of a Grand Cherokee.

I hit a large jump on a little bike today and kicked down from third to second because I was bogging down on approach except I was actually in second which caused me to decelerate like a mad man and case my nuts on my gas tank

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
An email from the insurance company arrives!

quote:

We have received a copy of your appraisal and your vehicle is considered to be a total loss.
Welp. :rip: ye olde Bandit.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Got in my second wreck of the summer. Met my wife at the grocery store and parked my bike up against her car's back bumper because the lot was full. We did our shopping, then loaded kids and groceries into the car. I said "Bye! Love you! Don't run over me! haha!" She said "haha". Then I put on my helmet, climbed onto the bike and she ran over me.

Ok maybe not "run over" but she hit me with enough force to bend the kickstand and press it deep into the asphalt.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Lmao that's gold

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sever.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

MonkeyHate posted:

Got in my second wreck of the summer. Met my wife at the grocery store and parked my bike up against her car's back bumper because the lot was full. We did our shopping, then loaded kids and groceries into the car. I said "Bye! Love you! Don't run over me! haha!" She said "haha". Then I put on my helmet, climbed onto the bike and she ran over me.

Ok maybe not "run over" but she hit me with enough force to bend the kickstand and press it deep into the asphalt.

You might wanna get your kids to taste test all your food.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Might want to just abort them and start over fresh

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Chris Knight posted:

An email from the insurance company arrives!

Welp. :rip: ye olde Bandit.

That's two Bandits down, Progessive wrote mine off in April.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Skreemer posted:

That's two Bandits down, Progessive wrote mine off in April.

Let's call it three. The cost to repair mine (or get it diagnosed) is more than it's worth, so I put it in the scrap pile today.

Anyone need any parts from an '01?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

a cute sea otter posted:

The gently caress, that's a hellacious contraption

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

So back in '12 after got out I made the mistake to go to the store, and for the first time I didn't wear gear.

Anyway, it's about 2230 and I come up on a blind turn at a hill. Two deer in the road a bit before this. Not wanting to go into the blind lane, and there's a ditch with an elevated entrance to a field on the right. Tried to go around on the right, deer followed the headlight and then stopped right in front of me. Tucked in and said gently caress just in time to have fun. I was a dumbass for no gear except gloves/helmet. loving stupid. Anyway, more to the story, I was under the bike after I hit. Luckily my backpack and skin had enough friction to stop me and let the bike go on. Four cars passed me as I waved for help, just stared at me. Dude stopped and called help on his cell, cops came out, dude cop I went to high school was there and looked at me like I was a ghost. Thought at least I took the deer out, but nope, they had to put it down. Couldn't get the meat or antlers, laid up for 13 weeks in a medicated haze. Scrubbing the road out of road rash is something I don't advise. Bad Dr on call decided I didn't need any surgery on me hosed up ankle you could see into our the foot that was the same. Lost a good amount of blood, didn't even see it on the road. Anyway, ankle necrotized and I got a skin graft. Doctor ripped the staples out, good times.

Don't be me. Ride safe and don't get complacent.

:nms:

:nms:

Almost ate poo poo the other day, but it was a semi that decided to try to pass a lane of cars on the on ramp. Came into the left lane on us, I jumped off of the shoulder and hit a deep pothole on the way back to the road. It was sprinkling and the tires didn't bite real well for a second before I recovered. poo poo was not pleasant, but at least it was only a close call. The guy is a local driver, and you have to watch out for his bullshit. Didn't realize who it was til I was on the intestate.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Today I hosed up. Traded bikes with my buddy, riding his girlfriends first bike, an ex250. We down the mountain, and none of the roads looked bad, and then we went up. Near the top, I misread a yellow patch of animal feed as a stain in the road (there is a yellow paint spill on that mountain). It was not paint, and I lowsided hard the second I hit it. As I was heading towards oncoming traffic I dove into the pavement to try and roll and slow down.

I slowed down, but every part of my body below the waist that wasn't covered by forma adventure lows is now made of pain. My A* mesh pants wore into the knee armor, and saved my knee, but that took quite a hit. The AFX helmet took the brunt of the hit and slid on it's face for a bit, and is unbroken. My head is fine so I'll buy another one of those. My jacket arm needs a patch.

This is his EX250:

Of course every mountain oval office in the region came up to give me a lecture about how I was "weaving through cars like puzzle pieces" (that wasn't me, but another group of riders) and how they "knew i was going to crash" and how they had made their sons sell their motorcycles. Like literally as men were helping me up of the road, they were shouting this at me. Cunts.

The thing that hurts most is I gave him my beloved DR650. Signed the title over tonight. His insurance won't cover the bike, and it's the only right thing to do. It's all fun and games to get out here and play around in the twisties but it was my responsibility to see debris in the road. It's my responsibility to replace the learner bike I just trashed. At least I know it's going to a good home, and I salvaged the friendship.

Not a very good day out riding, though.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 24, 2017

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i think you're competing with chiche for first place in murdered bieks

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
That sucks. Good job not dying.

Is the ninja leaking oil and is the frame bent?

Why won’t insurance cover it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

1) sorry you went down in what looks like a lovely situation on the road and are (mostly) ok.

2) Nice work making it right and putting friendship over bikes, only one of which is easily replaceable.

E: did you hit that Honda CRV or is that a randomly dented car stopping. To help?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 24, 2017

tjones
May 13, 2005
Without knowing or really caring what the specifics are: good on you for doing whatever it took to make sure the situation was resolved to both the satisfaction of you and your friend. Most people wouldn't have done that. You are a good dude.

Also glad you made it out OK.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Glad to hear you're ok and it sounds like the gear did its job.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
gently caress! Good on you for making it right. Do you still have the 690?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

poo poo that sucks. Glad you're okish.
Very honorable of you. There are tons of DRs out there, fortunately. I hope your friends remember you for doing them right.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Best thing is that you're walking away from that. It's just a DR650, even if it was your DR650. Hell, it's almost cheap DR650 season if that's any consolation.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How bad was the damage to the CRV? They must've ran over it at a decent speed, never seen a fuel tank come off like that before, very alarming.

Should've given him the 690, gonna miss that DR :sigh:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Glad you're ok. Good on you for giving your friend the DR.

Did the bike hit the car in the other lane?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Any crash you walk away from is a good crash, and you didn't lose a friend in the process. Sucks, buddy, but this will be a great story in a couple years. Try and focus on getting there instead of beating yourself up, as it looks like the road already did enough of that to ya :(

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for supporting my decision. I expected to be told it was stupid, even though I'm confident in my choice. Plus, I'm really sure that it's the learner bike they needed all along, and it's really going to bring joy.

I still have the 690, though the throttle being sensitive and not being able to have a top case makes it a very poor option for school commutes. I have my eye out for either another purple DR, a grom, or a Kymco Spade to fill my slow bike void in the stable. Probably the later two.

builds character posted:

That sucks. Good job not dying.

Is the ninja leaking oil and is the frame bent?

Why won’t insurance cover it?

Engine seemed fine, and we almost got it to turn over for giggles. The frame is bent up really badly, and the EX250 doesn't have a very resiliant frame to begin with.

He didn't have comprehensive on such a cheap beater bike, which I should have asked about before riding it. Lesson learned, though I don't think I'll be riding anyone elses bike again for a long long time.

Slavvy posted:

How bad was the damage to the CRV? They must've ran over it at a decent speed, never seen a fuel tank come off like that before, very alarming.

Should've given him the 690, gonna miss that DR :sigh:

Oh yeah it slid into the front quarter, and flattened the tire. Didn't do much other damage, I don't think. I felt just awful for inconveniencing that driver like that.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 24, 2017

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Well, I've got one. :saddowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WhZapAsmc

The audio sucks because I wasn't obsessive enough about reformatting the SD for my sad old GoPro.

My Shoei GT-Air kept it downright comfy when I smacked my head into the road. My Alpinestars whateverthefuck jacket that I bought when I was about 80 pounds heavier hosed me over and my shoulder is in a couple separate pieces now. I was just wearing Nautica poo poo jeans instead of real pants for riding, but it's almost like I didn't move at all, because they only have a light mark on the knee. I just dove straight into the ground and came to a halt.

I have no idea what happened. Clearly, I made a terrible error and crashed myself, but I don't know what specific thing I did. My right hand was off the bar, so I can't have smashed the brake.

The bike looks OK. All the cases, the frame, the swingarm, and the forks look fine. It's just the cheap poo poo that got smashed up and ground down.

I guess I'll just have to be extra cautious on that stretch of road for some reason? I'm not 100% sure what I should be modifying about my riding habits to avoid suddenly hurtling to Earth for no discernable reason.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm phone posting so I could only see the video on a tiny screen without audio so take it with a grain of salt:

The violent maneuver with the bars just before you went down: was that you doing it on purpose, upsetting the bike and causing the crash or was it a reaction to something else and already part of the accident?

Alternatively: Mechanical failure of some kind? Bearing seized?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Frosty- posted:

Well, I've got one. :saddowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WhZapAsmc

The audio sucks because I wasn't obsessive enough about reformatting the SD for my sad old GoPro.

My Shoei GT-Air kept it downright comfy when I smacked my head into the road. My Alpinestars whateverthefuck jacket that I bought when I was about 80 pounds heavier hosed me over and my shoulder is in a couple separate pieces now. I was just wearing Nautica poo poo jeans instead of real pants for riding, but it's almost like I didn't move at all, because they only have a light mark on the knee. I just dove straight into the ground and came to a halt.

I have no idea what happened. Clearly, I made a terrible error and crashed myself, but I don't know what specific thing I did. My right hand was off the bar, so I can't have smashed the brake.

The bike looks OK. All the cases, the frame, the swingarm, and the forks look fine. It's just the cheap poo poo that got smashed up and ground down.

I guess I'll just have to be extra cautious on that stretch of road for some reason? I'm not 100% sure what I should be modifying about my riding habits to avoid suddenly hurtling to Earth for no discernable reason.

Glad you're ok. Bike damage looks pretty minimal, a new pedal and you'll be right to go.

Are you sure your right hand wasn't on the bars? That sudden twist of the bars and the screech sound really suggest a lock up of the front. Did you maybe put your hand back on the bars when the car in front was breaking and accidentally hit the lever? The rear wouldn't do much to you at the speed you were going, but check the tyre and see if it has a skid mark in the middle, maybe you put your foot on the rear pedal when you were fiddling around and lock up.

I'd be sure it wasn't a pilot error before blaming mechanicals, and if you're sure it wasn't you I'd have a really close look at the front end, though I don't know what would cause that to happen (bearings seizing would mean the front wheel wouldn't spin any more presumably?).

I'd have a very thorough look at the front end of the bike.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 29, 2017

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
you panicked for no reason and grabbed a hold of your front brake when you saw the guy in front lightly braking because you were off in la la land looking at something off to the right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Set your youtube playback speed to 0.25x and watch the right mirror. Just at the moment the crash starts -- before the bars have started to turn -- the mirror image jumps in a way that looks for all the world like a quick front-end dive, which would only be caused by sudden application of the front brake. It sure looks like what happens when you suddenly lose the front wheel.

Locking the rear would just make the bike fishtail. It wouldn't knock you on your rear end instantly like that.

I suspect Razzled is right, and you just don't remember grabbing the lever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Frosty- posted:

I don't know what specific thing I did. My right hand was off the bar

Hmm... think maybe these are related?

Agreed with razzled too, my best guess is you had your hand off the bar, hit a bump or something causing the slight wobble, and without realizing it instinctively grabbed the brakes and locked up.

• Locked thread