Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Carth Dookie posted:

The violent maneuver with the bars just before you went down: was that you doing it on purpose, upsetting the bike and causing the crash or was it a reaction to something else and already part of the accident?
I don't think so. The crash was happening for a little bit before I realized what was going on. I remember feeling stupid for not doing anything to stop it from happening, instead of doing something to cause it.

quote:

Alternatively: Mechanical failure of some kind? Bearing seized?
No, the bike doesn't seem to have any mechanical problem not caused by the crash. I'm not a mechanic and I only did give it a cursory, external look, but it rolls when we push it so I assume the wheel bearings have been perfect all along.

Barnsy posted:

Are you sure your right hand wasn't on the bars? That sudden twist of the bars and the screech sound really suggest a lock up of the front. Did you maybe put your hand back on the bars when the car in front was breaking and accidentally hit the lever? The rear wouldn't do much to you at the speed you were going, but check the tyre and see if it has a skid mark in the middle, maybe you put your foot on the rear pedal when you were fiddling around and lock up.
I don't think I can claim to be 100% sure that my hand wasn't on the bars, but when I crashed I was reaching to poke my pocket to check if I had my wallet with me. The whole time I've been thinking it must be related to that distraction. If I did just smash the front brake that would be pretty weird since I've never done that before, and I have a lot more miles on another bike with way more intense brakes than this thing. My habit is to be gentle.

quote:

I'd be sure it wasn't a pilot error before blaming mechanicals, and if you're sure it wasn't you I'd have a really close look at the front end, though I don't know what would cause that to happen (bearings seizing would mean the front wheel wouldn't spin any more presumably?).

I'd have a very thorough look at the front end of the bike.
I'll make sure everything gets examined just in case, but there's no way this is a mechanical failure. It happens right after I take my hand off the bar, and I'm distracted wondering if I have all my poo poo with me. I did it.

Razzled posted:

you panicked for no reason and grabbed a hold of your front brake when you saw the guy in front lightly braking because you were off in la la land looking at something off to the right
Maybe? I'm not really prone to panicked action at the controls. The few previous times something strange has happened, like the front end slipping a tiny bit over an oily spot in the rain, I've pretty much just not reacted at all, and it's always been over before I move a muscle. I don't think I panicked about the car up ahead, though. A lot of people who watch the video point to that car, but I just wasn't even aware of him in that way. He was far enough ahead, and I wasn't even going his way anymore. When I was looking over it's 'cause I wanted to pull off in that area so I could get off and make sure I had everything with me.

Sagebrush posted:

Set your youtube playback speed to 0.25x and watch the right mirror. Just at the moment the crash starts -- before the bars have started to turn -- the mirror image jumps in a way that looks for all the world like a quick front-end dive, which would only be caused by sudden application of the front brake. It sure looks like what happens when you suddenly lose the front wheel.

Locking the rear would just make the bike fishtail. It wouldn't knock you on your rear end instantly like that.
I was thinking it might be possible that I just dumbly kicked down a gear without thinking or using the clutch, but I've done that at least once before and I don't think it locked the rear up. And like you said that wouldn't cause the same crash anyway.

quote:

I suspect Razzled is right, and you just don't remember grabbing the lever.
It's just that I have a very specific memory of feeling very foolish for not having both hands at the controls when poo poo got weird. You can even see my hand come off the bar in the video. I mean I guess I just reached back for it and clamped the brake super hard because that's the only explanation, but I don't even know why I would have. Certainly not the car up ahead.

I was definitely tired. At work we've been doing pretty much ten hours a day, 7 days a week for close to two months. On top of that I got a new bicycle and I've been commuting to work on that thing, and I had just ridden it home maybe an hour earlier. So I would have definitely been tired and slow, and I was distracted by the idea that I'd forgotten something, but I really specifically remember decelerating with my hand completely off the brake and throttle, with intent to gently get off the road for a minute.

It's irritating to me because I have to assume I crushed the brake for the first time in tens of thousands of miles, without any real stimulus to prompt it (I swear I was just not aware of that car ahead in anything like a way that would make me panic brake at <34 mph). I just have to watch myself overall a lot more closely, and probably just skip driving myself around until the bicycle doesn't tire me out so much.

I just have this strong emotional feeling that whatever I did I did with my left side, even though the only intelligent read is that it's the right hand. I should have just pointed my camera so I could see the bars. I thought the angle where we can see mostly what's ahead of me was more "interesting" or something, and now I can't see where my hands went.

VVVV The road was pretty clear. There was some gravel, but I don't think it was the kind of thing that would kick my wheel around. No potholes. VVVV

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Pothole with one hand on the left bar janked the front wheel weird and dumped you off cause you didn't have two hands to absorb the shock properly?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've had two washouts like that in my time, with the same sort of wait-what's-BLAM suddenness that comes with losing the front end, and they were caused by

1) hitting a playing-card-sized piece of flat plastic (material like a laundry detergent bottle) lying in the road while leaned over in a turn
2) braking hard, on the edge of wheel lock, and hitting a patch of gravely sand that I hadn't noticed

If you weren't turning and you weren't braking, there isn't any reason for the front wheel to suddenly lose traction like that. I ran over an aluminum ladder once at 50 miles an hour, straight line and constant speed, and the bike barely even wobbled.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

Pothole with one hand on the left bar janked the front wheel weird and dumped you off cause you didn't have two hands to absorb the shock properly?

Surface looked really flat.

There was some gravel, so it might be a combination of you mashing the brakes wihtout thinking and some gravel. More the former than the latter.

Frosty- posted:

I don't think so. The crash was happening for a little bit before I realized what was going on. I remember feeling stupid for not doing anything to stop it from happening, instead of doing something to cause it.
No, the bike doesn't seem to have any mechanical problem not caused by the crash. I'm not a mechanic and I only did give it a cursory, external look, but it rolls when we push it so I assume the wheel bearings have been perfect all along.
I don't think I can claim to be 100% sure that my hand wasn't on the bars, but when I crashed I was reaching to poke my pocket to check if I had my wallet with me. The whole time I've been thinking it must be related to that distraction. If I did just smash the front brake that would be pretty weird since I've never done that before, and I have a lot more miles on another bike with way more intense brakes than this thing. My habit is to be gentle.
I'll make sure everything gets examined just in case, but there's no way this is a mechanical failure. It happens right after I take my hand off the bar, and I'm distracted wondering if I have all my poo poo with me. I did it.
Maybe? I'm not really prone to panicked action at the controls. The few previous times something strange has happened, like the front end slipping a tiny bit over an oily spot in the rain, I've pretty much just not reacted at all, and it's always been over before I move a muscle. I don't think I panicked about the car up ahead, though. A lot of people who watch the video point to that car, but I just wasn't even aware of him in that way. He was far enough ahead, and I wasn't even going his way anymore. When I was looking over it's 'cause I wanted to pull off in that area so I could get off and make sure I had everything with me.
I was thinking it might be possible that I just dumbly kicked down a gear without thinking or using the clutch, but I've done that at least once before and I don't think it locked the rear up. And like you said that wouldn't cause the same crash anyway.
It's just that I have a very specific memory of feeling very foolish for not having both hands at the controls when poo poo got weird. You can even see my hand come off the bar in the video. I mean I guess I just reached back for it and clamped the brake super hard because that's the only explanation, but I don't even know why I would have. Certainly not the car up ahead.

I was definitely tired. At work we've been doing pretty much ten hours a day, 7 days a week for close to two months. On top of that I got a new bicycle and I've been commuting to work on that thing, and I had just ridden it home maybe an hour earlier. So I would have definitely been tired and slow, and I was distracted by the idea that I'd forgotten something, but I really specifically remember decelerating with my hand completely off the brake and throttle, with intent to gently get off the road for a minute.

It's irritating to me because I have to assume I crushed the brake for the first time in tens of thousands of miles, without any real stimulus to prompt it (I swear I was just not aware of that car ahead in anything like a way that would make me panic brake at <34 mph). I just have to watch myself overall a lot more closely, and probably just skip driving myself around until the bicycle doesn't tire me out so much.

I just have this strong emotional feeling that whatever I did I did with my left side, even though the only intelligent read is that it's the right hand. I should have just pointed my camera so I could see the bars. I thought the angle where we can see mostly what's ahead of me was more "interesting" or something, and now I can't see where my hands went.

VVVV The road was pretty clear. There was some gravel, but I don't think it was the kind of thing that would kick my wheel around. No potholes. VVVV

Honestly fatigue is a killer on bikes. I will avoid riding if I haven't had a good sleep/overtired because you do stupid poo poo that you wouldn't otherwise do.

Hate to say it, but ABS would have probably saved you here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You were fatigued, do you cover the brake? I've had really unfortunate brain farts while very tired where I'll not actually do things in the right order. If your fingers were curled around the brake and you, I dunno, forgot to let go of it before pulling your hand off the bar, I could see that happening. Otherwise, no idea. Looks like a locked front wheel to me, only really possible like that with large steering input and lots of brake or something.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Is it possible that the front brake was dragging slightly, heating up the brake fluid eventually causing the front wheel to lock up? I've heard that can happen with overfull brake fluid reservoirs.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
It almost sounds like tires squealing too, which again would be the front looking at how it went down.
If you're sleep deprived or chronically tired, you're basically drunk. Same effect (I ride all the time, even if I'm working daily 16 hour shifts). Going to be hard to evaluate why you crashed because of that, but at least you're ok and bonus your bike took the hit really well!

How bad is your shoulder? What has to be done with that? Holy poo poo follow through with your physical therapy if you did any kind of damage. I was kind of lax with mine and I already just kind of feel generally in pain 24/7.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pun pundit posted:

Is it possible that the front brake was dragging slightly, heating up the brake fluid eventually causing the front wheel to lock up? I've heard that can happen with overfull brake fluid reservoirs.

That seems extraordinarily unlikely, and it wouldn't happen instantaneously anyway.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Sagebrush posted:

That seems extraordinarily unlikely, and it wouldn't happen instantaneously anyway.

Didn't one of our Aussie members in QLD have this happen, causing him to eat poo poo without warning? His nick escapes me right at this moment. I think he was on a Kawasaki.

Not to say that it's still not incredibly unlikely.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Didn't one of our Aussie members in QLD have this happen, causing him to eat poo poo without warning? His nick escapes me right at this moment. I think he was on a Kawasaki.

I'm not Australian, I just say "oval office" a lot.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've watched it again with sound and on a proper screen and yeah tend to agree with others in that you got a little off balance going one handed, and then accidentally grabbed a bit of front brake when you suddenly put your right hand back on the bars and ate poo poo for your trouble.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Sagebrush posted:

1) hitting a playing-card-sized piece of flat plastic (material like a laundry detergent bottle) lying in the road while leaned over in a turn
2) braking hard, on the edge of wheel lock, and hitting a patch of gravely sand that I hadn't noticed
Geez, those both sound really scary. I'm pretty glad I goofed up doing something mundane and boring instead of while trying to have fun.

quote:

If you weren't turning and you weren't braking, there isn't any reason for the front wheel to suddenly lose traction like that. I ran over an aluminum ladder once at 50 miles an hour, straight line and constant speed, and the bike barely even wobbled.
Yeah, I've never gone over anything as substantial as a ladder, but over the years I've grown pretty confident that unless I'm genuinely leaned over the bike just isn't going to care what it rolls over.

Z3n posted:

You were fatigued, do you cover the brake? I've had really unfortunate brain farts while very tired where I'll not actually do things in the right order. If your fingers were curled around the brake and you, I dunno, forgot to let go of it before pulling your hand off the bar, I could see that happening. Otherwise, no idea. Looks like a locked front wheel to me, only really possible like that with large steering input and lots of brake or something.
I definitely don't cover the levers when I ride. I must have reached for the bar and gripped the brake hard without ever realizing it, because I thought for sure my hand was still touching my leg.

Barnsy posted:

Honestly fatigue is a killer on bikes. I will avoid riding if I haven't had a good sleep/overtired because you do stupid poo poo that you wouldn't otherwise do.
I never understood just how seriously true this was until now. I didn't even think of myself as fatigued until I hit the ground, when I started trying to explain to myself how I just achieved such an absurd thing. I looked back over the day and realized I'd been making mistakes and forgetting things the whole time.

quote:

Hate to say it, but ABS would have probably saved you here.
Ugh, I know. I should have just bought the ABS model, but at the time I was thinking I've already gone so far on a CBR600RR with no ABS and never had a problem. Arrogant. It'll be OK, though; the FZ's brakes are actually really easy to use, so as long as I'm more careful/mindful than I just was I think it's not likely to happen again.

pun pundit posted:

I don't think so. I've only had the bike for about 950 miles, so the brake system hasn't been messed with since it left the factory. And in the time I've owned it, I've gone a lot farther and a lot faster than that without any brake trouble. I'm pretty confident that the bike is mechanically exactly as it should be, even though I wish I could just blame the dumb machine.

Revvik posted:

It almost sounds like tires squealing too, which again would be the front looking at how it went down.
Definitely my tires. There's a very short little tire mark in the road there, now.

quote:

If you're sleep deprived or chronically tired, you're basically drunk. Same effect (I ride all the time, even if I'm working daily 16 hour shifts). Going to be hard to evaluate why you crashed because of that, but at least you're ok and bonus your bike took the hit really well!
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked that the bike took it like a champ. The 07s have that really prominent frame feature at the top where it attaches to the engine. I've seen photos of that all ground down and gross, but mine escaped that fate, miraculously.

quote:

How bad is your shoulder? What has to be done with that? Holy poo poo follow through with your physical therapy if you did any kind of damage. I was kind of lax with mine and I already just kind of feel generally in pain 24/7.
They tell me I have a grade 3 AC joint separation. So far I've been given a sling. The ambulance people asked me to rate my pain 1-10 and I said 3. The orthopedist asked me if I was in pain and I said no. Everyone is astounded. I got a prescription for some muscle relaxers and some 500mg naproxen tablets, but I didn't fill them. I wear the sling all the time and I ice the shoulder.

I don't think it's going to heal well. The whole post-crash experience has been infinitely worse than actually crashing. Everyone involved has either actively hosed me over or just been too wrapped up in their idea of what's good and helpful to actually be good and helpful. I got bullied into the ambulance ride to the ER, the fucker who called the police can rot in Hell for eternity and the piece of poo poo cop who gave me a written warning for "failure to drive right" took my AAA card and then didn't involve them, so I had to pay a $200 tow fee. The place it got towed to is a whole other lovely story.

I can't see how the sling is protecting my injury or aiding in healing. They were very concerned about my painless foot fracture and got me a giant boot. My insanely painful and disturbing rib injury that literally klunks around and moves and poo poo is of no interest to anyone. They want to see me again on Monday. I'm just going to cooperate and expect a disappointing result.

It's funny because I'm not really worked up about the crash. I feel fine with bikes and I don't have any kind of fear that I didn't have before. I'm not even really bothered by the injuries except when I sneeze, but the fallout from the crash, all this interaction with the system, it's very discouraging. I love my bikes, and they're definitely my primary form of transportation, but it's almost not worth continuing to ride simply because of how dreadful everyone around me has made my life since I crashed.

Carth Dookie posted:

I've watched it again with sound and on a proper screen and yeah tend to agree with others in that you got a little off balance going one handed, and then accidentally grabbed a bit of front brake when you suddenly put your right hand back on the bars and ate poo poo for your trouble.
Isn't it bizarre that I'd even end up unbalanced?

I'm really not that bad at this. I try to emphasize precision and smoothness, and generally ride with intent to compensate for what I know I can't do, or suspect others might do. I did hear someone say once that around 25,000-30,000 miles people get an invincibility mentality and start to gently caress up. I guess that's me. :gibs:

Something I've learned from this is the importance of wearing gear that fits. My helmet and my gloves worked perfectly. My jacket did very little, and I know it's because I bought it when I was 303 pounds and kept wearing it at 215. If I hadn't been lazy or cheap or whatever, and wore a jacket that fit properly, I might not have had such a severe shoulder injury. Same for my shoes. I wasn't wearing my boots because I didn't want to scratch the bike. :downs:

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 29, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Rib injuries are always painful and there's little or nothing to be done for them while they heal beyond taking NSAIDs (the naproxen) or other painkillers and doing your best to avoid aggravating it. Even if you broke your ribs they'd likely tell you to suck it up unless it was puncturing something, and then you'd be looking at surgery.

The sling is keeping you from moving the AC joint as much as possible so it can actually heal. Same for the boot on your foot. Even if it's painless now, on the off chance you manage to dislocate that fracture somehow you aren't going to be happy. Foot injuries take loving FOREVER to heal and they often don't get back to 100%.

When the shoulder separation heals up a bit you'll likely be recommended physical therapy.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Frosty- posted:

Isn't it bizarre that I'd even end up unbalanced?

Not really. You said you were fiddling with your right pocket just before the accident which could mean your weight was shifted which might be why you drifted a little to the right in the first place, then grabbed the brake while off balance and boom.

quote:

Something I've learned from this is the importance of wearing gear that fits. My helmet and my gloves worked perfectly. My jacket did very little, and I know it's because I bought it when I was 303 pounds and kept wearing it at 215. If I hadn't been lazy or cheap or whatever, and wore a jacket that fit properly, I might not have had such a severe shoulder injury. Same for my shoes. I wasn't wearing my boots because I didn't want to scratch the bike. :downs:

Maybe, maybe not. The jacket is good for reducing the risk of road rash but no amount of body armor is going to save you if you bodyslam the pavement like that. You should still deffo wear stuff that fits though because if it rides up during a slide and exposes skin then well...

Also wear your boots dickhead.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Chichevache posted:

I'm not Australian, I just say "oval office" a lot.

Haha, I remember now, it was Shimrod.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah that video looks and sounds like it just has to be a front wheel lockup, and if it was free after the accident, I think it pretty much has to be rider error grabbing the brake. Can't figure another explanation for that sequence of events.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

You keep mentioning your habits of being smooth for ever and ever and always reacting properly, etc etc, which is commendable -- but just because you're doing it right for your entire riding career doesn't mean there is no chance for a slipup.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Maybe god just hates him?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah that video looks and sounds like it just has to be a front wheel lockup, and if it was free after the accident, I think it pretty much has to be rider error grabbing the brake. Can't figure another explanation for that sequence of events.

M42 posted:

You keep mentioning your habits of being smooth for ever and ever and always reacting properly, etc etc, which is commendable -- but just because you're doing it right for your entire riding career doesn't mean there is no chance for a slipup.
I guess I'm mostly just flabbergasted at the circumstances.

Chichevache posted:

Maybe god just hates him?
No way, dagg, if God hated me my heart would have exploded while I was trying to smash my fat rear end up the hill to my driveway on the bicycle the day before. I think God is just nonplussed with me.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Given the mechanism of injury to cause an AC separation, I doubt any jacket would do you much good. Perhaps an airbag suit would provide enough padding, but the normal armor in jackets definitely won't. You got forced into the ambulance probably because you smashed your head - I've done similar things as a ski patroller. If there is any way I can convince someone to go straight to the ER when they've hit their head I do it. The cop was just being lazy and fulfilling his role as a revenue generator, unfortunate reality in America today.

AC separations are a really lovely injury, if you've got a really severe one figure they will recommend surgery - that will suck.

I think it's pretty clear you hit the front brake. Make sure you're mentally fresh enough to ride. Riding tired is definitely very dangerous.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Sorry you grabbed a handful of front brake and went down. Glad it’s not even more serious and the bike is ok.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

poo poo happens

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yeah that was me. Wasn't dragging pads directly but defective aftermarket lever pivot not drilled correctly causing m/c to put a little pressure on constantly. Would heat up and locked on me seemingly randomly.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Shimrod posted:

Yeah that was me. Wasn't dragging pads directly but defective aftermarket lever pivot not drilled correctly causing m/c to put a little pressure on constantly. Would heat up and locked on me seemingly randomly.

Ah yes, that was it!

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

I went to the doctor and got a phone snap of the cool X-ray:

Doc says it should heal fine and I won't have diminished range of movement or anything, but it might look a little funny compared to my other shoulder. I'm just going to go easy on it and keep wearing the sling until I have zero discomfort.

Insurance guy came and looked at the bike and they already deposited $500 in my bank account, so I guess they've estimated the damage at right about $1000, which isn't too bad. This process is kind of stupid, though, since it hasn't been to a shop yet, so there's like some weird supplemental procedure for getting more money in case it costs more. I'm not thrilled about it, because I was hoping to not involve the seriously shady and neglectful dealership where I bought it, at all.

I'm super glad I went for the $500 deductible instead of $1000. Would have been stupid to save pennies on payments only to get jack for actually crashing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Frosty- posted:

I went to the doctor and got a phone snap of the cool X-ray:

Doc says it should heal fine and I won't have diminished range of movement or anything, but it might look a little funny compared to my other shoulder. I'm just going to go easy on it and keep wearing the sling until I have zero discomfort.
Check with your PT but that's not been the best plan for me in the past. Using it is better, just don't go past a certain threshold of strain/weight/exercise with it. Otherwise your muscles get weak and it takes even longer to heal.

But the point being that discomfort isn't necessarily a bad thing

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Oh, OK, that's good advice. I always kind of go dumb when I'm faced with a situation like speaking to a doctor, and the questions about what's appropriate don't enter my mind until a day later. I was thinking that any pain or stress was an indicator that I was going beyond the reasonable range and preventing things from settling back where they should go, but I guess I'll try to go without the sling as much as possible until it actually starts to bother me.

It's remarkable how little it actually hurts, though. I keep forgetting to take anything, which is dumb because I bet the anti-inflammatory properties of the pills are more important than the pain-killing.

I just hope that by the next time I see the doctor I'm basically functional again. I would desperately like to go back to work.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
You can see your hand release the throttle and brake cleanly in the video, then you shunt forward a bit and the crash starts.
I would bet in shifting your weight to check your pocket you dabbed the rear brake and when your weight got thrown forward you only had one hand on the bars, turning the front hard with the rear locked so down you went.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Frosty- posted:

Oh, OK, that's good advice. I always kind of go dumb when I'm faced with a situation like speaking to a doctor, and the questions about what's appropriate don't enter my mind until a day later. I was thinking that any pain or stress was an indicator that I was going beyond the reasonable range and preventing things from settling back where they should go, but I guess I'll try to go without the sling as much as possible until it actually starts to bother me.

It's remarkable how little it actually hurts, though. I keep forgetting to take anything, which is dumb because I bet the anti-inflammatory properties of the pills are more important than the pain-killing.

I just hope that by the next time I see the doctor I'm basically functional again. I would desperately like to go back to work.

I mean I'm not saying ditch the sling, just don't expect it to get back to 100 percent sittings in a sling doing nothing. You probably should take it easy at first but later you should use it up to that point where it hurts. I dunno I'm just a dummy ob the internet, were you referred to a physical therapist? Go with what they say

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

echomadman posted:

You can see your hand release the throttle and brake cleanly in the video, then you shunt forward a bit and the crash starts.
I would bet in shifting your weight to check your pocket you dabbed the rear brake and when your weight got thrown forward you only had one hand on the bars, turning the front hard with the rear locked so down you went.
Ultimately, I don't think I'll ever know for sure what really happened. The best I can do is assume I hamfisted the brakes in general, double-down on taking care with that poo poo, and learn to focus better. Don't ride fatigued, don't get cocky and start loving around with my pockets while I'm on the road, all that basic stuff.

nsaP posted:

I mean I'm not saying ditch the sling, just don't expect it to get back to 100 percent sittings in a sling doing nothing. You probably should take it easy at first but later you should use it up to that point where it hurts. I dunno I'm just a dummy ob the internet, were you referred to a physical therapist? Go with what they say
What you said is a lot like what the doctor said, really. He said I don't *need* the sling; I was just being very precautionary about it. But now I think I'll try to go for a while each day without it, not lifting anything heavy or moving my arm in any dramatic way (lifting over my head is still reasonably painful and disconcerting), and then revert to the sling when it starts to get annoying.

I'm really thrilled with how quickly I feel like I'm healing. The night after the crash I couldn't even get out of bed on my own without things klunking around in my chest and all kinds of pain. Now I'm pretty good to go, except for the arm, but even that is still OK for a few things, like at least holding my coffee in the morning.

Considering how much that level of carelessness could potentially have cost me at basically any other time during that ride or another, I'm feeling fairly relieved that neither the bike nor I got that badly injured. That ambulance bill, though :monocle:

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Frosty- posted:

I was thinking that any pain or stress was an indicator that I was going beyond the reasonable range and preventing things from settling back where they should go, but I guess I'll try to go without the sling as much as possible until it actually starts to bother me.

Work with the physio. You get a stiff shoulder if you don't do enough movement, but overdo it and you'll hold back the healing process.

I pop out on this thread to effortpost about goon injuries whenever I see them and I haven't had a negative reaction yet, so if you don't mind Frosty, I'll try to effortpost about your xray. If people agree that I shouldn't do this thing, I will definitely cut that poo poo right out.

So with Frosty- and CA's permission, lets talk a little :science:

These are your shoulder bones:

So firstly, an anatomy lecture.
Strictly speaking, your overall shoulder joint is made up of three bones that produce all of the movement that you get at what a person might reasonably call a shoulder. The humerus has a big, mostly cartilage covered ball that sits in the socket which is a part of the shoulder blade and gives the bulk of the movement as a ball and socket joint. The shoulder blade (scapula) is attached to the collar bone (clavicle) by a tough but still flexible joint. It connects the scapula from a little projection called the acromion to the clavicle, abbreviated as the AC joint.

The collarbone itself is also mobile from where it attaches to the sternum, and the movement of the collarbone is useful because it lets your reorient your shoulder socket in relation to your chest.

What these animations also demonstrate well is that the entire complex of the arm has only one bony attachment to the chest through the collar bone, and the AC joint is the point where the rest of the arm loads up through the collarbone.

Keep in mind though that, under the skin there are plenty of muscles and other attachments that bypass the forces away from the AC joint itself, so it isn't exactly the single lynchpin preventing the whole arm from falling off.

a healthy AC joint looks like this on an xray - everything lines up and all is well.

Frosty-'s xray shows the collarbone lifting up a little bit which often is caused by taking a spill and landing hard on the elbow, loading up the AC joint and making a small tear in the AC joint. With the AC joint not being able to take some of the load of the arm through the collarbone, the shoulder blade can sag relative to the collarbone.

When it's all said and done, in most ways the AC joint can be injured, with rest and physiotherapy the joint usually heals up and it resumes its job of taking load through the end of the collar bone, but its not uncommon to heal in a slightly sagged position which in practical terms usually just means you look asymmetrical, as long as the tissue heals up, the shoulder essentially returns to normal function.

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 9, 2017

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Trambopaline posted:

Work with the physio.
I sincerely doubt I will ever see one. The only people who have even mentioned such a thing are here in this thread. None of the medical professionals I've been seeing have wanted to speak to me for more than about five minutes, and none have spoken of PT at all.

What they have done is billed me for quite a bit of money, and spent most of their words on managing my expectations of recovery.

quote:

When it's all said and done, in most ways the AC joint can be injured, with rest and physiotherapy the joint usually heals up and it resumes its job of taking load through the end of the collar bone, but its not uncommon to heal in a slightly sagged position which in practical terms usually just means you look asymmetrical, as long as the tissue heals up, the shoulder essentially returns to normal function.
While I'm very glad that the likelihood of returning to normal function is so high, and I'm definitely trying to move my arm around as much as possible, as often as possible – hopefully without aggravating anything – I'm not really thrilled at the prospect of being permanently deformed, however minor that may be.

Is there anything I can do to get the absolute minimum sag? I want my bones to go back to their original positions. I'm not really an exemplary male specimen, and I've been working very hard for a while now to change that situation. I've made pretty excellent progress, but I feel like this injury is a rather disappointing setback.

I think I mentioned it already: The crash didn't really hurt all that bad, the bike didn't get that damaged, and I don't feel all hosed up and anxious about riding. I'm fine with all of that. What is insanely frustrating, however, is everything that has followed. If I can only get to talk to a doctor after a week and a half and then only speak to him for three minutes about how I shouldn't expect for my skeleton to heal straight, that's pretty discouraging overall.

I'm sitting here adding up the bike payments and insurance cost and seeing S-Class Benz money, wondering why I make such bad decisions.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Scars are cool, just own the new shape of your shoulder. If nothing else it's an interesting story.

Edit: not saying you shouldn't make sure it heals right, just don't worry about what it looks like in the end

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 9, 2017

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

hot sauce posted:

Scars are cool, just own the new shape of your shoulder. If nothing else it's an interesting story.

Edit: not saying you shouldn't make sure it heals right, just don't worry about what it looks like in the end

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Frosty- posted:

I sincerely doubt I will ever see one. The only people who have even mentioned such a thing are here in this thread. None of the medical professionals I've been seeing have wanted to speak to me for more than about five minutes, and none have spoken of PT at all.

What they have done is billed me for quite a bit of money, and spent most of their words on managing my expectations of recovery.
While I'm very glad that the likelihood of returning to normal function is so high, and I'm definitely trying to move my arm around as much as possible, as often as possible – hopefully without aggravating anything – I'm not really thrilled at the prospect of being permanently deformed, however minor that may be.

Is there anything I can do to get the absolute minimum sag? I want my bones to go back to their original positions. I'm not really an exemplary male specimen, and I've been working very hard for a while now to change that situation. I've made pretty excellent progress, but I feel like this injury is a rather disappointing setback.

I think I mentioned it already: The crash didn't really hurt all that bad, the bike didn't get that damaged, and I don't feel all hosed up and anxious about riding. I'm fine with all of that. What is insanely frustrating, however, is everything that has followed. If I can only get to talk to a doctor after a week and a half and then only speak to him for three minutes about how I shouldn't expect for my skeleton to heal straight, that's pretty discouraging overall.

I'm sitting here adding up the bike payments and insurance cost and seeing S-Class Benz money, wondering why I make such bad decisions.

I mean this as a friendly adult giving you advice and not as a jerk on the internet. You need to learn to talk to doctors. They are professionals, but also service providers. If you want physical therapy, tell them. If it’s not fixed, or something hurts or you need further attention, tell them. Have expectations and don’t let them blow you off.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Frosty- posted:

not really, apart from not doing too much heavy lifting while you're still recovering.

This picture is a moderate example of it, for what it's worth, you're going to be asymmetrical but you have to go looking for it to find it and in terms of strength and function it will be pretty negligable.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Trambopaline posted:

not really, apart from not doing too much heavy lifting while you're still recovering.

This picture is a moderate example of it, for what it's worth, you're going to be asymmetrical but you have to go looking for it to find it and in terms of strength and function it will be pretty negligable.

Don't doxx me.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

builds character posted:

I mean this as a friendly adult giving you advice and not as a jerk on the internet. You need to learn to talk to doctors.
You're certainly not wrong. I have very little social throttle control; either I'm very friendly and compliant, or we're fighting. I never really got the hang of being assertive without being offensive. I'll try to practice doing more than smiling and nodding when I get back to the doc on the 19th, I guess.

Trambopaline posted:

not really, apart from not doing too much heavy lifting while you're still recovering... for what it's worth, you're going to be asymmetrical but you have to go looking for it to find it and in terms of strength and function it will be pretty negligable.
That's a lot less prominent than I was imagining. I guess I'm still pretty poofed up, because I have a huge bump in my shoulder. I've been really good about not loving with it, though. I can move my arm all around like a normal person again, and it only hurts a very small amount. I haven't tried to lift anything heavier than my cat.

Here's a stupid question that might not really belong here, but I'm asking anyway: Am I entitled to the labor cost to repair the bike even if I don't have it done by a shop? The insurance company already deposited some money into my account, and if I add my deductible to that amount it really doesn't look like anything but parts cost. I've scheduled to bring the bike to the dealership where I bought it on Tuesday, and I'm supposed to tell them to do their own estimate and let the insurance know in case there's a disparity so the amount can be supplemented, if necessary. I was hoping they might be able to include labor in their estimate so I could receive that amount, but I don't want to actually have them do the work (I had them put tires on my Ninjette and they reversed my rear brake pads, and they've returned other bikes to friends of mine in various states of partial reassembly).

I was kind of hoping I could spin the crash into losing only a small amount of money, and possibly getting one or two nicer accessories than what it came with, but I don't want to be a fraud jerk. Or is it just more complicated, and it all depends on which state you're in and who the insurance provider is, and all that?

In any case I'm totally getting that SC-Project exhaust. I have to reward myself for my regrettable failures, somehow.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have that exact thing with my shoulder from a car crash when I was a kid and I am the only person who has ever noticed. I've never once had a woman recite entire scenes from the hunchback of Notre dame to me, you'll be fine :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have that exact thing with my shoulder from a car crash when I was a kid and I am the only person who has ever noticed. I've never once had a woman recite entire scenes from the hunchback of Notre dame to me, you'll be fine :)

I'm going to find the women in your life and make this happen now. It has to be done.

• Locked thread