Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Lowsided on a downhill right hander on route 116 in Mass. On an '83 750 Maxim. Extremely forceful wobble while scraping the peg broke my wrist, and the bike just decided not to stay up. I slid and tumbled at 60mph on the asphalt with the bike in hot pursuit. Gear (textile pants, leather jacket, helmet, boots) did its job and I have two minor abrasions. The bike has a broken brake lever and turn signal. I have a broken ego (and wrist), and decided I need to stop being cheap and buy a more modern functioning bike.

I love to ride that road out West, it's so nice, but there have been so many bad accidents on it.

Edit: Beaten by Terminal

Terminal posted:

Boss from a previous job lives on one of those 116 corners. He considers it a normal weekly occurrence to see either EMT's on the scene, or a tow truck plucking a twisted frame out of the ravine on the other side of the road. Glad you made it out of this one okay, but I've seen very good riders have plenty of fun at 60mph on that road with modern supersports. Dragging peg a month and a half out of the MSF on an 80's UJM probably wasn't the best idea in this case.

Yes, plenty of fun on modern supersports at sane speeds :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Had someone deliberately ram me on my way home from night shift yesterday morning. They really are out to kill us. The one time I wasn't splitting...

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Had someone deliberately ram me on my way home from night shift yesterday morning. They really are out to kill us. The one time I wasn't splitting...

There has to be some back story to this. Spill it :)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Riding along towards the Harbour Tunnel in the left wheel track of the right hand lane. Felt a big thump on the back of my right leg and got thrown over into the middle lane and get a big wobble going. Damper does it's job and weave stops, look over and there's this loving Mini where I was. Guy driving didn't even look over at me when I booted on his door. Followed him for a while, then turned off the freeway and went to the cop shop near home and reported it. No apparent damage to me or the mighty Gixxer.

:iiam:

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Riding along towards the Harbour Tunnel in the left wheel track of the right hand lane. Felt a big thump on the back of my right leg and got thrown over into the middle lane and get a big wobble going. Damper does it's job and weave stops, look over and there's this loving Mini where I was. Guy driving didn't even look over at me when I booted on his door. Followed him for a while, then turned off the freeway and went to the cop shop near home and reported it. No apparent damage to me or the mighty Gixxer.

:iiam:
Since you were following him you memorized his plates. And then gave them to the cops so they can effectively follow up on it. Right?

Right?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Since you were following him you memorized his plates. And then gave them to the cops so they can effectively follow up on it. Right?

Right?

Plates, car and a description of the cuntface behind the wheel.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Hmm. You have no proof that it was deliberate, yet you admitted to damaging his property. I'm not doubting your story, but a cop might.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Did the cops care? I wasn't hit, but I was run off the road a while back. When I called CHP from the side of the road they wouldn't take the plate number. The operator said if an officer didn't see it, they won't investigate it.

Then again, my example isn't hit and run while yours could be.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Updating this with a picture of my awesome cast! I'm out of riding for six weeks at least. Driving a stick shift is quite the adventure in itself. For a lowside at highway speeds, I'd say I'm drat lucky.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FunkyJunk posted:

Hmm. You have no proof that it was deliberate, yet you admitted to damaging his property. I'm not doubting your story, but a cop might.

The guy had been behind me for a k or so and I hadn't changed my speed in a couple of hundred metres. The only way for him to hit me was to drive right up arse. As for the boot on the door, it wouldn't have done poo poo.

OrangeFurious posted:

Did the cops care? I wasn't hit, but I was run off the road a while back. When I called CHP from the side of the road they wouldn't take the plate number. The operator said if an officer didn't see it, they won't investigate it.

Then again, my example isn't hit and run while yours could be.

Yeah, they took a report and the local station where it happened will talking to him. The cop said that since it's my word against his there's a good chance nothing will happen, but it's on record.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
Locked up my rear brake for the first time while going home yesterday. Thank god for the MSF training. My thought process went something like this:

La la la la pretty day.
Oh poo poo, cars in front of me are stopped. Brake hard!
Back end sliding around, this feels weird.
That guy at the MSF said to just ride it out when you lock the rear brake. Guess I'll try that.
Hey cool, I'm still alive.

So yeah, as weird as it feels when that rear tire is sliding all over the place, it's okay to just ride out a rear slide, the bike WANTS to go straight.

Of course, paying attention to the poo poo happening in front of you is preferable. :)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you can keep the bike straight you'll be fine.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

basx posted:

Locked up my rear brake for the first time while going home yesterday. Thank god for the MSF training. My thought process went something like this:

La la la la pretty day.
Oh poo poo, cars in front of me are stopped. Brake hard!
Back end sliding around, this feels weird.
That guy at the MSF said to just ride it out when you lock the rear brake. Guess I'll try that.
Hey cool, I'm still alive.

So yeah, as weird as it feels when that rear tire is sliding all over the place, it's okay to just ride out a rear slide, the bike WANTS to go straight.

Of course, paying attention to the poo poo happening in front of you is preferable. :)

Something similar happened to me. Like an idiot, I tried to speed up and get thru a yellow only to have the light past that was red. This was at a very fast and busy intersection in Florida. Cars in front of me got on their brakes, I used my rear brake waaay to much (which I typically rarely use in the first place) and my rear tire locked up. My rear tire started weaving around behind me, I got it straightened out and let off the brakes and went on my merry way.

I was extremely pissed with myself for the rest of the day when I started to think about what could of happened. If I would of let off my rear-brake when my tire wasn't inline and I could've high-sided into oncoming 50mph traffic.

12,000 miles of riding in 6 months and that was the only close call I had. Goes to show you what a fleeting moment inattention/stupidity can do.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I havn't taken it, but I thought the MSF actually had you lock a rear tire as part of the training. Do they just talk about it?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

VTNewb posted:

I havn't taken it, but I thought the MSF actually had you lock a rear tire as part of the training. Do they just talk about it?

We did emergency stops during my MSF and had all sorts of smoky tire locking fun.

I was reminded of my childhood of riding a fixed gear BMX and locking the rear on that all the time. It was really fun. :unsmith:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

8ender posted:

We did emergency stops during my MSF and had all sorts of smoky tire locking fun.

I was reminded of my childhood of riding a fixed gear BMX and locking the rear on that all the time. It was really fun. :unsmith:

Yeah, I've been street riding for 5 years now, but I mostly do dirt riding since I was a kid which is rear locking constantly. I was going to show disdain if they didn't make you lock your rear, but seems all good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

VTNewb posted:

Mine did not make us do it, but told us about it, and I, at least, locked the rear at one point. Did a stoppie at another (completely on accident, of course). The instructor's jaw just kind of dropped at that one. I was riding a DR200SE, so there was a lot of suspension give.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

VTNewb posted:

Yeah, I've been street riding for 5 years now, but I mostly do dirt riding since I was a kid which is rear locking constantly. I was going to show disdain if they didn't make you lock your rear, but seems all good.

They don't actually purposefully tell you to lock the rear (at least not in the class I was in), but the emergency stop exercise resulted in half the class locking it up. We were just instructed on what to do if we ever did lock it up in the real world, going faster than 15 MPH or so.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

basx posted:

Locked up my rear brake for the first time while going home yesterday.

I actually almost ate it doing this same thing, only I did it a couple days ago on the New Jersey turnpike in an epic downpour of rain.

I saw a couple guys on bagged Harleys or Goldwings or something stopped on the side of the highway, one of them messing with something on the far side of his bike, so I decided to pull off and at least see if they needed any help.

I'm still not sure EXACTLY what happened, but I braked way too hard for the conditions, and the rear wheel locked up at about 55mph. Bike was ALL OVER THE PLACE, I moved over about two lanes in a split second and felt like I had little to no directional control. I think I may have moved over a white lane-dividing stripe, but I'm not sure, I might have just stomped on it too hard.

I did exactly the wrong thing, but somehow managed to come out of it okay. I let up on the rear brake, which grabbed traction again at just the right time. Either that or I was simply drat lucky (Because it was NOT mad skillz that saved me), but the bike stayed up, I stayed on it, and brought it to a much more controlled stop a few hundred feet down the expressway.

I didn't even get an adrenalin buzz going off it. Only once I was back on the road and in traffic did it really strike me just how badly that could have ended for me (5:30pm on the I-95 in absolutely torrential rains), and how lucky I was that I kept it up.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Updating this with a picture of my awesome cast! I'm out of riding for six weeks at least. Driving a stick shift is quite the adventure in itself. For a lowside at highway speeds, I'd say I'm drat lucky.

Are you still in Western Mass? I'm always looking for more people to ride with. I was out of riding for a month last year but for much dumber reason :\

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Just had my first real "near miss." Entirely my fault, luckily I squeaked through without more than a bruised ego and a bit of adrenaline. Headed north on Laurel Canyon blvd, traffic was crawling. We got to Mulholland, and the car in front of me in the left lane signaled to turn left. The pickup truck with trailer next to me was turning right. The gap was small between the truck and car, but as the truck turned it started widening. I tried to split through to go straight, and forgot about the trailer until I was between the vehicles. Inches from the car, I swung my right foot out a little to gauge how far I was from the trailer, and basically kicked off the trailer's tire as it was rolling. I don't think anyone but me noticed, but drat if that didn't wake me right the gently caress up.

Patience, people!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Are you still in Western Mass? I'm always looking for more people to ride with. I was out of riding for a month last year but for much dumber reason :\

I live in Southern CT but I'm down for riding anywhere in the New England area. AIM is Kokonut M0nkey, hit me up sometime. My cast comes off July 6.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Had a near miss today. Was cruising along at around 25 mph accelerating to speed limit (45) and I get a creep in a mini van that had run the red light behind me. ( I took a left turn across an intersection and he ran the light going straight 10-15 seconds after it was red. I see the rear end in a top hat coming and prepare to get out of the way to the right. About that time I notice a U-haul taking a right out of a gas station that will be blocking my way over.
At this point I'm between a concrete wall a U-haul and a van blaring mexican tunes that is not even considering slowing down for me. I grabbed a handful of throttle ( way more than was probably necessary) and go to rocket off. Well at 25-30 mph in first gear if you slam the throttle wide open your going to be looking skyward very quickly. I rode the unintended wheelie about 30-50 feet leaned forward and got my nose down. I then dove to the right to get out of the way of this van. This rear end in a top hat passed me (I'm doing 65-70 now) like I was sitting still.

Some people are just nucking futs.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

I think I may be done with bikes. Had my third accident (this one being the most severe) this Saturday and I can tell you it was not fun.

I've already had 2 accidents in the past, both due to looking in my rear-view mirror for too long. They were very minor and I only chipped my turn signals. This time, I completely wrecked my motorcycle (2001 Honda Shadow 125CC) and really hurt myself!

I hadn't taken my bike all winter. It was a really beautiful day and since it had been a long time since my last ride (~5 months) I thought I would go cruising. I was coming out of a small village, about 50km/h (which is the limit in towns) when I arrive at a very soft left-hand turn on which was a speed bump. For some reason that is way beyond me, I didn't have the proper reflex of braking, which led me to picture myself swerving off the right side of the road. Things being what they were, this stunned me even more, and by the time I got on the speed bump, I was still going too fast. I exited the road to the right, and of course with my luck there was a small hole and sewer input sticking out.

My front wheel hit the sewer, which blocked it completely. I was catapulted from my bike, fell on my elbows. I had a thick leather jacket, but it was a bit loose for me (now I know it's a big mistake) and the right sleeve just rolled up exposing my elbow. I don't know how long I slid but it certainly hurt. My bike did a half front flip and hit the ground hard. It came THIS close to falling back on me.

My right elbow is hosed, my right thigh is seriously bruised and hurts. Couple of other bruises here and there but nothing is broken.

After a bit of thought, I was really lucky not to die or become paraplegic that day. However my bike's front fork is totally bent. I think the main frame is intact but I couldn't be sure, I'll need to see with a mechanic.

My elbow:

Click here for the full 799x1067 image.

My bike:

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

I must've been seriously in shock because as soon as I got up, I walked around the neighborhood trying to find someone who could help me with my elbow, not really feeling the pain. I did find a really nice lady who had everything so I saved a trip to the clinic.

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 17, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
First pants-making GBS threads off-road experience today. :dance:

Ever since the MSF course I have been repeating various things in my head during my rides (outside-inside-outside, get vertical for a stop, etc). A road that I like to take has lots of curves, some in quick succession and others are wide and sweeping. I was reminding myself of the path until I got glare in my eyes and couldnt track the curve of the road until it was too late. Started slowing as I went around a sweeping turn, couldnt see in front of me, hit a part of shade and realized I was about 6" away from the outside line with a nice dropoff combined with a broken ledge making up the side of the road... nice 2 foot ditch to top it off. Two choices in my head, try to lean and make the turn, but risk hitting the edge in a lean, or right myself and try to follow a path off the road. ABS ended up saving my rear end bigtime when I went off the road surface, dropped about 6" from the pavement into a rut, and magically ABS kept my tire spinning under some pants-making GBS threads panic braking. I hit the curve going about 45-50 or so, and kept steady decreasing speed once I left the road.

By the graces of God the bike stayed completely upright and stable and as soon as I saw a clean path back up the road at the edge of an upcoming driveway I leaned to the side and got back on the road like nothing happened :psyduck:.

Few lessons learned from today:

1. Sunlight is a bitch when it blinds you

2. MSF is awesome, since I took it a week previous still had the words stuck in my head to upright the bike before I tried to stop, which kept the bike stable as I left the road

3. ABS is the most awesome feature possible on a motorcycle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the_reject
May 30, 2002

dietcokefiend posted:

3. ABS is the most awesome feature possible on a motorcycle
I ride relatively old German bikes (BMW R80RT and K75RT), and I'll never forget when the ABS on the K75RT saved my rear end twice in the span of 90 seconds.

The first time, I was cruising down a 5-6 lane plus shared suicide turning lane highway approaching an intersection. Someone in the left turn lane decided at the last moment that they wanted to go straight through the intersection instead of waiting for the light to turn green. I was in the left-most lane, and had taken right lane positioning in the event that someone would decide to pull out in front of me. Everything was fine, until the car 2 car lengths in front of me yanked out of the turn lane and into mine. By that time, I was approaching slow traffic in the middle lane, so my exit route towards the right was slim, if not close to nil. I nailed the brakes hard, and narrowly avoided the idiot who saw me midway through and halted their vehicle. I heard the ABS engage in the rear, sighed, and counted my blessings.

At the next intersection, my intended turn-off, I had assumed left lane positioning, but it still didn't matter. I'd had a clear avenue into the left turn lane until another idiot in the middle lane decided that their lane was too long, and the left lane was shorter. Problem is, pulling into the left lane shut off the easy avenue into the turn lane, and they never checked to see if I was there or not. I nailed the brakes again, and felt both the front and the rear ABS engage. I was able to scrub off enough speed to make the narrow entrance into the turn lane and continue home.

That day made me carefully examine my riding habits, and cross-reference them with the lessons taught at the MSF to see if there were better ways to avoid these incidents. Outside of scrubbing off more speed in anticipation (particularly in the second instance, but which I was already doing in both instances), it would be hard to say what better situational outcome was available. And that furthers my thirst to learn more about safe riding.

But had I been on the R80RT, a non-ABS bike, I would have been road pizza.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You know how you can tell a car about is about to do something dumb before it happens due to the body language the car gives off in the lane? Don't wait for something stupid to happen, get on the horn right then. I'm tooting all the time as I approach intersections and other dangerous places if I think a car is about to move into my lane. I may be wrong a lot but it snaps drivers out of their day dreams and makes them pay attention to me, which is what I want.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coredump posted:

You know how you can tell a car about is about to do something dumb before it happens due to the body language the car gives off in the lane? Don't wait for something stupid to happen, get on the horn right then. I'm tooting all the time as I approach intersections and other dangerous places if I think a car is about to move into my lane. I may be wrong a lot but it snaps drivers out of their day dreams and makes them pay attention to me, which is what I want.

Loud horns save lives! :v:

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Z3n posted:

Loud horns save lives! :v:

The stock horn on my Thruxton sounded like a child whispering "meep." I upgraded to a 120dB horn. Now that child says meep in a regular voice.

Useless outside of my garage either way.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

welp

Crashed for the first "real" time today on the way to pick up brake parts to fix my car. I was riding my friend's ninjette again, since my bike is down with electrical issues and I have no other transportation.

It has been raining here for about three days off-and-on, and was a bit damp out. I came to an intersection to make a left, was behind an suv with an suv behind me. The light turned green, suv in front took off, and being on the torqueless wonder and not used to it yet I killed it letting the clutch out. Moment of "oh poo poo get it going you dumbass," I get it fired back up, and head into the intersection a bit too hastily.

At that point I notice a truck about to make a right turn from the other direction (road i'm turning onto is 2 lanes each way) and, trying to get through the intersection and out of the way in case he's a dipshit and turns into my lane, I gave it a bit too much gas and kicked the rear end out at around 25mph.

Bike spun to a halt in the right lane and died, guy making a right stopped with enough room and gave cover for me to haul the 250 off the road. I had slid a few feet on my left hip and elbow but was otherwise undamaged.

Bike suffered a snapped left handlebar and broken left peg mount and some cosmetic damage to the fairing (which was scuffed bad already).

I pushed the bike to a parking lot and walked to pick up the car parts (they didn't have them). Didn't have my cell phone so I ended up walking a few miles to get my other buddy with his truck. I had gotten a set of ramps thrown into the deal with my bike, and they've finally turned out to be useful. Real kickass ones too.

I have now officially had break or have broken every form of powered transport in my possession or care.

As for gear, I was wearing jeans, joe rocket orbit boots, fieldsheer gloves, joe rocket alter ego 2 jacket, and a scorpion 700-whatever helmet. Only the pants and jacket are any worse for wear.

The ankle protectors on the boots worked brilliantly. Pants tore but no road rash on my hip (just a bruise). The jacket held up ok, but the elbow armor twisted out of the way and so it was all elbow-fabric-cement. The textile scuffed a bit on the outside, and I have mesh-pattern jacket-rash on my left elbow now.

All in all, maybe 100 bucks of bike damage and a bit of bruised elbow and ego. I figure I got off super easy and will learn from my mistake.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Well it finally happened to me. :( 5 years of scootering and I never so much as tipped one over in a driveway - and then Wednesday night I did just that. And then Thursday night I wrecked pretty bad.

I don't know what happened. I remember suiting up to ride, and then I remember waking up in the emergency room a couple hours later.

Apparently after the wreck I was awake and moving around. I righted my scooter and even spoke to a police officer (I have his business card, but no ticket, as far as I know). When I called my parents who, thankfully, were in town visiting, I couldn't give them directions - and I was only 3 blocks from my house. When they found me (I told them the intersection, at least), they told me to guide them to my place so they could drop off the stuff/my scooter. I directed them to my old place, I didn't know I had a new one. My mom told me to call my new roommate, whom she had met earlier that day, and I didn't know who he was.

I was in the hospital for a couple hours, but I don't remember most of it. Parts of it I remember as if in a dream. They did a CT scan and it came back clean, so they sent me home.

My injuries: obviously my head took a wallop, I'm sore everywhere. I went down on my left side, so my left shoulder and hip are most sore, and my foot has some road rash:

I normally wear lace-up leather boots, and of course this is the one time I wasn't. I just had sneakers on, and one came off; thus the road rash.

Other than that, my gear all worked splendidly.

HJC CL-15. Worked great, apparently, since I suffered no lasting head injuries. Won't be buying again mostly because I was already looking to upgrade, though I might buy a higher-end HJC.

Dainese Zentex. Worked great, and I'll keep using it. Took just a little bit of damage but definitely saved my hide and my shoulder from more damage.

Alpinestars S-MX 6. The scuffs on the left knuckle and the rashing on the right palm are all that's new, I don't think they spent a lot of time against the ground. Again, I was already looking to upgrade, but these I'll keep as spares.

Levi's jeans, lol. Held up surprisingly well, and I didn't get any appreciable road rash on my legs.

Tretorn sneakers, also lol. Held up well - if only they had stayed on! Never again will I ride without boots.

After thinking about the intersection I was at, where I ended up, and the damage to my gear, I think I highsided making a right turn, probably well below 30mph. I don't think anyone, or anything, else was involved - just me. Really, though, I expect it to remain a mystery. If it hasn't come back to me now it probably never will.

Most of my nervousness about getting back on is just because I don't know what happened. I don't even get to learn from my mistakes!

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 5, 2009

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
First, I'm glad all of you are able to come back with these reports!

This all happened back in February, and my husband posted a bit about it in the scooter megathread.

Situation
We had a 55 degree day in February, so I took our Honda Elite 80cc out for the day. Rode home from downtown at 5 PM, the last thing I remember is stopping at a stoplight on a one-way. The next thing I knew, I was looking up at a building from the ground, and was pretty sure I was dreaming. Passed out again quickly, woke up in the ambulance where Barack Obama was talking to me. Repeated husband's cell phone number over and over, passed out again. Woke up in the MRI machine. Out again, Woke up when husband was catching a brief glimpse of me as they wheeled me through the halls-- we weren't married yet, so they wouldn't let him in.

From the accident report we learned that a drunk driver turned the wrong way down the one-way I was on, about two blocks after what I last remember. I had a green, was going about 30-35 in the right most lane with two stopped or slowed cars in the left lanes. They were waving him away, I probably thought they were stopped because they'd just come off a red. All three witnesses--- two in the cars and one on foot -- said that I couldn't possibly have seen the drunk driver. He swerved into my lane, my face took off his passenger-side mirror, he drove off and was found a few blocks away.

Damage Report
The day after:

Three months later:

Broke my face, jaw, tibia and fibula-- now have a tibial nail and a limp. Broke some teeth. Lacerated liver and a nasty concussion that I think I'm finally getting over. I don't remember most of February and up until the last couple of weeks I had a hard time remembering many small things.

Wish I had a picture of the bike. It went home with husband's parents. Seems like the frame is bent, but it runs okay, I think. Father-in-law and I very much want to resurrect zombie scooter, but that's probably not feasible.

Lessons Learned
Wear a full-face helmet. Wouldn't have broken my jaw, face or teeth. No amount of gear could have helped my leg, but had I a full-face helmet, I may have avoided the concussion as well. At least I was wearing goggles: I have a feeling they helped save my right eye.

If any of you fuckers don't wear a helmet: do, for the love of god. There was nothing I could have done to forsee or avoid this accident, and I absolutely would have died without my helmet. Recently had a convo with an acquaintance who told me that he is "a good rider" who "won't need a helmet". Okay.

Can't wait to get a new scoot, though!

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

zap actionsdower! posted:

Destroyer of side-mirrors

Holy hell glad you survived that!

What type of helmet were you wearing? Was it a top hat style or 3/4? Was the guy arrested or charged with anything? Do you ever plan to ride again?

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Yeah, I really almost died. There was a lot of internal bleeding.

3/4 style helmet.

The guy was charged with Serious Injury with a Motor Vehicle and got a whopping 5 years in prison; they told me if he was "the worst prisoner in there" he'd see 2.5. Which is kind of okay. The dude is homeless and he's going to one of the not-terrifying state prisons, so in my mind I'd kind of rather he goes back to his lovely life, I guess.

Definitely will ride again. The upside of not remembering the accident is that I don't have a fear of getting back on the horse. I do, however, have this newfound "life could end at anytime and you won't even know it" fear. :)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Seeing things like that is why I ALWAYS wear a full-face, and make any passenger wear at LEAST my backup full-face. Good to hear you're recovering well, and want to get back riding :)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

PitViper posted:

Seeing things like that is why I ALWAYS wear a full-face, and make any passenger wear at LEAST my backup full-face. Good to hear you're recovering well, and want to get back riding :)

Seriously. I used to ride with a 1/2, and then a 3/4, before finally riding with a full-face once I got onto a bike that could do more than 37mph. In hindsight I'm awfully loving lucky to have not wrecked for those first four years of scootering.

Periodically I'd wish I had an open-face again, but then I'd remember all the pictures of helmet damage and put it out of mind. And now I've taken one of those pictures myself, and am awfully glad to have saved my face.

Zap, glad you came out of that (mostly) okay!

deadbeet
Sep 27, 2006
I was banned, and lo I have risen again
Well it was a shiny bike for a few months anyway....

Approaching an intersection in the rain I hit some "left turn only" lane paint and the front end disappeared before I knew what was happening. It turns out I can do a very acrobatic flip over the handlebars.

I'm fine, I don't think I even hit my helmet. None of my gear appears to have any damage. The bike... well not so much. Looks like the handlebar is bent pretty badly, the shifter popped off like a champagne cork, the clutch pull snapped off in my hand, the turn signal on the left is smashed, and the headlight/fork assembly looks seriously jacked up. Here's some pictures:

Something is not quite right.....

I don't think the mirror hangs down like that usually, but I could be wrong.

Looks like the ignition assembly caught some of the damage, it's all bent back behind the fork:

Something seems to be missing:

Looking a little wonk-eyed:

All in all it doesn't look too bad for my first wreck in 7 years, and I'm glad I'm okay. I was surprised nobody even stopped to see if I was alright as I rolled around like a turtle on his back trying to untangle myself from the handlebars. The guy behind me even changed lanes and revved his engine as he passed me as if to chastise me for slowing down traffic.

I'm assumming I'm going to need new handlebars, controls perhaps since they seem to be moving pretty freely, a new shifter, and new clutch pull and front brake lever (original pretty badly bent). The headlight assembly is pretty messed up, and the speedo seems to be bent, although that could be the handlebars. My shop is closed on Mondays, so I'm going to drop it off tomorrow and see what the damage is. Right about now is where I'm wishing I had a lower deductible than $500, but whatchagonnado...

Lessons learned? Avoid paint in the rain.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

deadbeet posted:

The guy behind me even changed lanes and revved his engine as he passed me as if to chastise me for slowing down traffic.

Someone should boil this guys balls. Hard boiled egg style.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The one time I had a lowside in busy traffic 5 people stopped and before I knew it they had the bike up on its side stand and me sat on a wall out of the road. They were awesome.

I cant stand people that dont stop to help people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Kind of related, but I high-sided on a bicycle once and some dude in a passing car actually LAUGHED at me before driving away. One person asked if I was ok but didn't get out of their car.

That was years ago and I still have the scar on my knee. I am clumsy. :/

• Locked thread