Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

teknicolor posted:

Kind of related, but I high-sided on a bicycle once and some dude in a passing car actually LAUGHED at me before driving away. One person asked if I was ok but didn't get out of their car.

That was years ago and I still have the scar on my knee. I am clumsy. :/

Something similar happened to me in high school. I wrecked my bike in front of a church, cutting my face and twisting myself up in the frame and handlebars. The parishioners going in made an effort to avoid my dazed, tangled mess. I was like a rock in a stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm accident free so far, but my friend, also a goon, had a bad wreck last Tuesday. He was on his way to the Homestake gold mine, he does some graduate research there, in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Extrapolating from what little he remembers and reports from the people who found him, he swerved to miss an animal and wound up at the bottom of a ravine. No one saw the accident and there's a lot of tall grass in the area, so he was stuck with two broken legs and a broken hand while cars drove by unaware of his plight. Thankfully, someone who lived in the area noticed a pair of shoes that had fallen out of my friend's backpack. The guy found him trying to drag himself up to the road for help; we're not sure how long he'd been stuck down there.

He made it out of the accident free from neck, head, and vital organ injuries, but he messed up both his legs and one hand. The hand needed some pins and a plate and one leg needed some pins. The other leg, though it had surprisingly good movement in the foot, was so badly damaged there wasn't anything to reconstruct. On Saturday he went into surgery and they amputated below the knee.

He was wearing a full face helmet at the time and we're pretty sure he would have been dead or severely injured without it. It was one of those flip up front deals and the whole front bar got ripped off. He's lucky to be alive, but it was pretty crushing to lose the leg, especially when we spent Tuesday through Friday thinking that they might be able to save it. Not sure what the lesson is here, other than to be careful since poo poo can happen whenever. I live in a different state so I haven't seen him yet, but I plan on heading up to visit once most of his surgeries are done since he'll be off his feet for 6 weeks. Any advice on things that might help him out would be appreciated.

Humper
Apr 15, 2003

Very concerned about penis

powderific posted:

he'll be off his feet for 6 weeks.

I couldn't help laughing at this.

He should try hard to get the most bad-rear end T-1000 looking prosthetic he can.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Humper posted:

I couldn't help laughing at this.

He should try hard to get the most bad-rear end T-1000 looking prosthetic he can.

They make liquid metal prosthetics now!?
:whoa:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

powderific posted:

I live in a different state so I haven't seen him yet, but I plan on heading up to visit once most of his surgeries are done since he'll be off his feet for 6 weeks. Any advice on things that might help him out would be appreciated.

Never lost a limb but have had a three major knee surgeries. Recovery is painful and boring as gently caress. It's awful to not be able to do things on your own too, so just being there with him and hang out and help him go to the kitchen for food and bathroom and stuff. The only good thing about it is the good drugs you get, but you get em cuz you need em.

Bring a laptop and d/l a bunch of movies or something to watch with him. I can't imagine how depressed and lovely I would feel if I lost my leg.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, he's the type of guy who's always outside doing something too, so I imagine boredom will get pretty bad. He'll be moving in with his parents for the rehab, which will put him within 3 hours of me and make it MUCH easier for me to get up there and hang out. I'm thinking I'll load up an external HD with movies, grab some books, maybe see if find some good projects we could do inside.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

zap actionsdower! posted:

:black101: Destroyer of side-mirrors

Whether you get the scoot you were on back on the road, or get a new one, you need to do up a side-view mirror silhouette made in adhesive vinyl to stick on the bike somewhere, WWII fighter kill-count style.

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009
Had the rear-skid-scare in the first few hundred miles of my first bike. Yellow light at the worst time. Crowned road, slick intersection. Fishtailed like crazy but thanks to the MSF, I knew to stand on it and managed to keep it shiny-side up all the way to a stop. Queue some emergency stop practice next chance I got, and I haven't made the same mistake yet.

Almost 10,000 miles and 2 years later, I had my first real wreck. Riding one of the few interesting roads around here, my passenger and I picked up too much speed in a series of downhill curves. Managed to get it down below 30 or so before I ran out of road.

Should have minded the grade, the effect of a passenger, and the speed limit. Should have braked more aggressively when I could have. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Got really lucky going off the shoulder on the uphill side and having a soft forest floor. We were geared up, escaping with only brushed helmets and a few bruises. Bike got tossed onto its opposite side. Mangled the crash bars and bent the handlebars, mussed up some other stuff. No leaks, tires/wheels good, forks & frame as far as I can tell. Rode it home. Passenger too.

Besides the shame and the repair cost, the worst part is the haunting memory. Especially the sound...the engine revving as the rear wheel leaves the ground. But hey! I live to abuse my body another day.

soggywaffles fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 9, 2009

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
How's the pillion feel about riding on the back again? I don't think I could 2-UP if I crashed with someone.

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009

Sepist posted:

How's the pillion feel about riding on the back again? I don't think I could 2-UP if I crashed with someone.

I hear ya. I can't imagine feeling worse than being responsible for a passenger casualty. She's pretty resilient though, and I think it has had a worse effect on me than her. She was wearing a helmet and leather, and swore she'd never go without it again. Had been advised how to take a slide, so thankfully she didn't do anything dumb like try to step off and break a leg. We had someone meet us with a car but she still opted to ride home on back. I guess we've done a non-trivial amount of miles together. It was an abnormally difficult stretch of road, I had just gotten back from a solo tour on a different bike and I suppose not fully re-acclimated to the difference in weight/handling. I'm solo-seating it for a while but she's said she's ready to go back. It's kind of nice, most girls I've met are pretty scared of riding at all, she actually asks to take the bike! I think I'll feel better when she has her own bike though...

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
gently caress.

I just got backed into by a fedex van that had missed its turn near the end of my neighborhood. I came to a stop about a car length and a half behind them after they had stopped, and then they threw it into reverse and slammed on the gas. I exchaged insurance information with the driver, and after he left my neighbor came out and told me he saw the whole thing.

As for the damage, from what I can tell the whole front fender is completely trashed, and the wheel may be bent. My saddlebags are also rashed where the bike fell on them, and my gear is in more or less the same shape.

I'd take pictures, but I lent my camera to a friend for the weekend, so I'll have take some once I get the camera back.

I know I probably won't be able to do anything until monday, but what is the common procedure for this sort of thing? Do I call their insurance first, or take the bike to the dealer for a damage estimate and then call their insurance?

CleanerVenom
Feb 14, 2009

sectoidman posted:

gently caress.

I just got backed into by a fedex van that had missed its turn near the end of my neighborhood. I came to a stop about a car length and a half behind them after they had stopped, and then they threw it into reverse and slammed on the gas. I exchaged insurance information with the driver, and after he left my neighbor came out and told me he saw the whole thing.

As for the damage, from what I can tell the whole front fender is completely trashed, and the wheel may be bent. My saddlebags are also rashed where the bike fell on them, and my gear is in more or less the same shape.

I'd take pictures, but I lent my camera to a friend for the weekend, so I'll have take some once I get the camera back.

I know I probably won't be able to do anything until monday, but what is the common procedure for this sort of thing? Do I call their insurance first, or take the bike to the dealer for a damage estimate and then call their insurance?

Call your insurance right now and report the accident.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sectoidman posted:

gently caress.

What level of coverage do you have?

If you've got full coverage, you call your insurance, report the accident, and they'll deal with getting it fixed and then take it out of the other insurance company.

Did the police come out? Do you have a police report?

If you've got partial coverage or are in an at will state, then contact your insurance anyways and report the claim. Do it ASAP, they should have 24 hour lines.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Might also be wise to contact Fedex corporate and report it. If the guy has a record of almost killing people they might want to adjust his role as needed. There is also the chance that they could be more friendly than an insurance company would be for replacement, repair, or settlement.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Z3n posted:

What level of coverage do you have?

If you've got full coverage, you call your insurance, report the accident, and they'll deal with getting it fixed and then take it out of the other insurance company.

Did the police come out? Do you have a police report?

If you've got partial coverage or are in an at will state, then contact your insurance anyways and report the claim. Do it ASAP, they should have 24 hour lines.

I have liability and comprehensive without collision (for if the bike gets vandalized or stolen). The police were not contacted, so there wasn't any accident report or finding of fault from them. In hindsight, I really should have suggested calling them, but I wasn't thinking straight.

I've also just called my insurance, who've said they'd have a representative call back on monday before noon, and the call highlighted the lack of information I was actually given. It appears that the van's driver only gave me a name, date of birth, driver's license number, make/model of vehicle and insurance phone number. No personal contact info, or policy number. I'm feeling really stupid right now for not paying closer attention to what she gave me :bang:.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Call Fed-ex, tell them one of their van drivers backed into you and you think they gave you bogus info. If you tell them the time and the area, they're bound to be able to work out which van it was even if you have incomplete licence plate numbers etc.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

Bhyo posted:

Call Fed-ex, tell them one of their van drivers backed into you and you think they gave you bogus info. If you tell them the time and the area, they're bound to be able to work out which van it was even if you have incomplete licence plate numbers etc.

I got a call back from my insurance, who've gotten in touch with their insurance, and the claims representative offered to get me the phone number of the van's driver. Hopefully I'll be able to give her a call tommorow to get additional information, which at this point I should only need for the DMV accident report.

Edit: Here are the pictures, as promised:

As you can see, the front fender is pretty much done for.

My left saddlebag got a bit rashed.

As did my left boot, though admittedly some of that might have been from when I dropped it in a gravel-strewn parking lot earlier this year.

My olympia phantom riding suit took some damage here too, though again some part of the visible damage is from that parking lot accident.

The helmet also looks like it might contacted pavement at low speed, though it's hard to say. I suppose sending it off to the manufacturer for an x-raying at the other party's insurer's expense is the way to go, though they may just give me money for a new helmet outright.

sectoidman fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 14, 2009

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I'm in a bit of situation and was wondering what my course of action should be.

Accident: Yesterday, while I was working inside a grocery store, someone had backed into my motorcycle knocking it over. A witness said this person got out of his truck, stood my bike back up, snapped my left turn signal back on, talked to one of the baggers getting carts then got in his truck and drove off.

Few minutes later while I was still unaware of what's going on, the witness called the cops, gave them all the information such as the person's description, truck details, and everything mentioned above.

Not too many people ride a motorcycle compared to people riding other vehicles so they found out it was my motorcycle and called me up front then outside to fill out a report for the cops as me being a victim of a hit and run. When the information was taken I went back into the store and continued working.

Talked to several other employees because they were curious why little ol' me was talking to police officers. One of them was the fat stupid bagger that the suspect talked to and who didn't bother telling anybody it was ANOTHER EMPLOYEE that backed up into my motorcycle.

So throughout the whole night I was worried about the police department taking time to find the 'suspect' who did a hit and run on my parked motorcycle.

Today, while I was working the suspect, the employee, confessed. I'm pretty sure he confessed after the fat bagger mentioned what was going to happen to the suspect (which was the police finding him after tracking his license). I believe the suspect confessed because he knew he wasn't going to get away with it because he didn't realize another witness took down all the information to the finest details.

The damage to my motorcycle is minor as it is still rideable with a few scratch marks and a bent mirror, kickstand, clutch.

So should I go ahead and allow police to give him a ticket for the hit and run (and then confessing)? or tell officers to back off and just let Progressive (both his and my insurance holders) take care of the situation?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It sounds like he still took off without offering his information to anybody?

If so, gently caress em'.

Let the cops teach him an important lesson on not being a douchebag next time.

Burnsy
Aug 14, 2000

He's going to get a hit & run ticket no matter what you tell the cops.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Yea he only had a change of heart because he got caught, gently caress him. Will teach him to not only be a better driver, but also not try to get away with poo poo next time when perhaps someone isnt watching.

The only issue that might come up is if he is higher ranking at work, and becomes your supervisor/boss.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

It sounds like he still took off without offering his information to anybody?

If so, gently caress em'.

Let the cops teach him an important lesson on not being a douchebag next time.

A thousand times this. gently caress people who think that hit and run is ok because it's just a motorcycle.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

A thousand times this. gently caress people who think that hit and run is ok because they got away with it.

Fixed.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

sectoidman posted:

Trashed gear...
Make sure you get your gear included in the quote from the adjuster.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

teknicolor posted:

Kind of related, but I high-sided on a bicycle once and some dude in a passing car actually LAUGHED at me before driving away. One person asked if I was ok but didn't get out of their car.

That was years ago and I still have the scar on my knee. I am clumsy. :/

I remember being a little kid in the back of our car stopped in a long line of traffic. We were on a downhill road and there was a cyclist coming down the right side of the stopped cars at probably 30km/h, when some moron decided to open the passenger door and get out (not a stopping place!). I heard a kind of thump/crack sound followed by this "HUUAAAAAAAOOOOOOOO" sound like a guy getting punched in the gut really hard; looked back and saw his bike bouncing down the road. About 10 seconds later traffic started moving again, and all the cars drove by leaving the guy quite literally moaning and choking on the side of the road. I'm not even sure if the car he hit stayed around.

And because I know this isn't the "I saw a bad crash" thread, I've definitely hammered myself on my bicycle before (don't have a motorbike...and this thread is making me want one less and less...)

Once I rode directly into a temporary road sign with a cement base; someone yelled at me, I looked, and smacked the front wheel into the base. Tacoed the wheel and caught my balls on the stem. I wasn't able to ride my bike the rest of that day, just sort of limped to class and passed out in my seat. Luckily there wasn't any permanent damage.

I've also pulled the front brake too hard on a downhill and sent myself right over the bars. This actually resulted in my arm being run over by my own bicycle. Embarrassing.

And I have several times been in nearly the same situation as the guy I mentioned above; people just don't look before they open their doors. I've actually been yelled at for thumping someone's hood in anger (no damage) after they flung their door open and forced me to swerve in an uncontrolled manner into faster traffic.

Honestly I think at least 50% of the drivers out there shouldn't be on the road. 4-wheelers are definitely the most common problem but I'm always amazed at the utter shittiness of some people. I was once passed by a man on an R6 (or similar) cruising down the freeway at 80mph. He was sitting upright, with his head down; his left hand was on his hip and his right on his cell phone, sending a text message.

:psyduck:

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Well, the shop got back to me. $5k parts+labor.

I'm guessing I need to start shopping for a new bike now :(.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sectoidman posted:

Well, the shop got back to me. $5k parts+labor.

I'm guessing I need to start shopping for a new bike now :(.

:monocle:

What was wrong with it? If it's mostly cosmetic, buy it back, fix the cosmetics, and ride it into the ground. Pocket the extra cash.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Did they even sell new for that much? :wtc:

mike fictitious
Apr 2, 2003

Like all girls I love unicorns!
First off, I wanted to thank everyone who has posted in the this thread previously. I've read every post and it definitely made me a safer rider and prepared me mentally for my own accident. Well, it didn't take long.

(pardon me if I mix tenses; it's the drugs)

The Accident
Saturday morning. I was heading east on a relatively windy road near my house. I crested a hill and saw a car stopped at a stop sign on an intersecting road waiting to turn west. The made a move like they were going to go, but stopped again just past the sign. I assumed this meant they saw me and were waiting for me to pass. The car waited for another vehicle to pass westbound on my road, then pulled directly out in front of me.

I locked up the front wheel trying to stop and high-sided to my right. The bike slammed into the driver's side of the car. I landed on my right shoulder and hip and skidded down the street, missing the car.

The drive stopped and got out and started freaking out. I wanted to get myself out of the road, but I knew I wasn't supposed to move. I told her to calm down and call 911. Eventually a few people stopped and started directing traffic, calming her down, and tending to me. An RN took charge of me, not allowing me to move, etc.

The cops showed up, then the EMTs. The RN told the EMTs I needed a neck brace and back board. I had no neck pain. No pain at all really, just my left leg was sore. The EMTs checked out my neck and back and determined I was OK, but the RN persisted. She demanded they do it, and wouldn't leave until she saw me in it. The EMTs threatened to have her arrested for interfering, but eventually relented and put me in that god-forbidden contraption. Eventually, I am put in the ambo and the other driver rides along to get checked out (hyper-tension or something).

Injuries
Ride to the hospital was painful. I spent another hour in the neck brace. Eventually the doc takes it off. Then I was sent off for some excruciating X-rays. Eventually it is determined that my left leg is broken... which is confusing since I fell to my right. I also have a tiny, but steadily bleeding puncture in my left calf. This eliminates a cast and the doc recommends a rod in my shin. Surgery goes fine.

Afterwards, he determined that my footpeg or a similarly pointy thing on the bike penetrated my calf and fractured my shin as I fell off. I was discharged on Monday afternoon. No weight on the leg for at least 2 weeks. No work for at least 2 weeks.

Damage
Helmet: HJC FS-15. Saw only minor scrapes, but will need to be replaced regardless.

Boots: Joe Rocket Pro Street. Lots of cosmetic scrapes.

Click here for the full 676x507 image.

Pants: Fieldsheer Titanium Air 3 Mesh. I almost didn't wear them because I would be busy off the bike most of the day, but am quite happy I did. Overall, I hate the look and fit of these pants, but they did their job. My hip is sore from the impact, so I might look into better hip pads in my next pants. Not sure if they make CE-rated hip armor. They suffered only minor cosmetic damage at the knee, but the doc had to cut them off of me before surgery.

Jacket: Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0. My shoulder and elbow feel fine. The CE armor absorbed everything. The seam between the elbow and cuff split, so it needs to be replaced.

Gloves: Icon Pursuit perforated leather. Cosmetic scrapes.

Bike: 05 SV650. Totaled. I didn't get a picture of it... Maybe I should send someone by to snap one before it goes away. I am pretty upset about losing it. The front wheel, fork, radiator, lights, gauge cluster were all trashed. I don't think I'll find another one quite like it.

Car: Pontiac G6. Totaled. Apparently my bike ripped the front axle off. Kinda glad I high-sided and missed it.

Lessons
None until the settlement. I did everything I could to avoid the accident that she caused.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mike fictitious posted:

Car: Pontiac G6. Totaled. Apparently my bike ripped the front axle off. Kinda glad I high-sided and missed it.

First of all...glad that you're not horribly injured, and glad to see that you were in full gear. Now for analysis...

I would say that there is one for sure lesson here, and one potential lesson: The for sure one is: you should practice braking more. Locking up the front and highsiding off the bike is not exactly ideal. If you pretty much immediately locked the front, then you practice emergency stops and getting on the brakes smoothly and quickly, so that in a panic situation you have the built up instinct to apply the front brake correctly.

It's important for not only stopping safely but leaving your options open to swerving as well.

The potential lesson: What was your lane position when she pulled out in front of you? When I approach a situation like that, I move as far to the left of the lane as possible to give me a little more time to react should they do something stupid. Sometimes a few feet or even a few inches can make all the difference in the world.

Heal up fast :)

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I'm glad you are ok and your gear held up admirably. Heres to a speedy recovery!

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

Z3n posted:

What was wrong with it? If it's mostly cosmetic, buy it back, fix the cosmetics, and ride it into the ground. Pocket the extra cash.

Looking at the damage report, I think the shop went and picked out all the damage the bike has taken over its lifetime. Most of the stuff is cosmetic, but they want to replace the front forks and holder, which comes out to over $1000 not including labor. I suppose I could do it myself with parts from a junkyard or similar, but I'd be worried about getting screwed by insurance if I'm in another accident, or if I decide I want sell this one to get a different bike some time down the road (though admittedly I'd likely ride this one into the ground).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sectoidman posted:

Looking at the damage report, I think the shop went and picked out all the damage the bike has taken over its lifetime. Most of the stuff is cosmetic, but they want to replace the front forks and holder, which comes out to over $1000 not including labor. I suppose I could do it myself with parts from a junkyard or similar, but I'd be worried about getting screwed by insurance if I'm in another accident, or if I decide I want sell this one to get a different bike some time down the road (though admittedly I'd likely ride this one into the ground).

Is there a problem with the forks beyond them being scratched?

If you take the payout from insurance and buy the bike back, and are then involved in another accident, they will total the bike at a lower value than they would if the bike was a clean title. However, considering it's a 250, you can easily argue that a salvage title is still worth a fair bit, and considering you've already pocketed the money from the first round, you would still come out ahead.

A salvage title will cut down on resale, but again: You've already pocketed a fair bit of cash for the bike. As long as you can sell it for at least the buyback and cost of parts (Which would probably be relatively low), it's not like you're going to lose money on it.

The other thing you could do is talk to the shop about getting some damages removed from the estimate because some of the stuff was there previously, taking a payout and keeping it a clean title. Pocket the money, repair the bike with ebay parts, and you're good to go.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

basx posted:

Locked up my rear brake for the first time while going home yesterday. Thank god for the MSF training. My thought process went something like this:

La la la la pretty day.
Oh poo poo, cars in front of me are stopped. Brake hard!
Back end sliding around, this feels weird.
That guy at the MSF said to just ride it out when you lock the rear brake. Guess I'll try that.
Hey cool, I'm still alive.

So yeah, as weird as it feels when that rear tire is sliding all over the place, it's okay to just ride out a rear slide, the bike WANTS to go straight.

Of course, paying attention to the poo poo happening in front of you is preferable. :)

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me, I was coming up to a light a guy was in the right lane I was in the left. A guy comes up behind me and starts flashing his lights to pass me even though I am doing the 55mph limit and we are in town. I look in my mirror to figure out what he wants and then look back up to see a stale yellow light and not much room so I grab the brake but hear squealing and assuming it's my front let up on the front and discover I locked my rear luckily I kept on it and stopped ok just a little over the line but scary and stupid as hell. I realized part of my problem was I had changed to progressive fork springs that day and had not really tried panic stopping and the front end is really different and with a few practice stops I am better at judging how much preasure I should give the front.

The bitch is that both cars the one on my right and the one behind turned right at the light so the tard behind me was trying to pass in front of a guy to turn right immediately? :iiam:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This just reminded me of some advice for you goons on bikes:

mike fictitious posted:

The cops showed up, then the EMTs. The RN told the EMTs I needed a neck brace and back board. I had no neck pain. No pain at all really, just my left leg was sore. The EMTs checked out my neck and back and determined I was OK, but the RN persisted. She demanded they do it, and wouldn't leave until she saw me in it. The EMTs threatened to have her arrested for interfering, but eventually relented and put me in that god-forbidden contraption.

If you're in an accident caused by someone else, and someone calls an ambulance, or you think you need one, get in it and go to the hospital. This for two reasons: 1) Just because you feel fine, there's a chance you aren't and will probably start to feel in it a couple of hours.

And for the Aussies here: 2) It's automatically at least a Neg Driving charge for the person at fault if someone needs an ambulance.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

This just reminded me of some advice for you goons on bikes:

If you're in an accident caused by someone else, and someone calls an ambulance, or you think you need one, get in it and go to the hospital. This for two reasons: 1) Just because you feel fine, there's a chance you aren't and will probably start to feel in it a couple of hours.

And for the Aussies here: 2) It's automatically at least a Neg Driving charge for the person at fault if someone needs an ambulance.

Unless you're an American and they don't have insurance in which case that ambulance ride and hospital stay might bankrupt you

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I like how some retard hit me and I was [minorly] injured and the bike was dead but the cops wouldn't come unless I called an ambulance and got in.

so always be prepared for that

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
drat, where do you people live? When I highsided, I had like 6 cops, an ambulance and a paramedic there within about 3 minutes, and other than a bruised rear end I really was fine.

Although the cop didn't write the old lady who made me crash a ticket. :mad:

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
I had an ambulance show for my accident, but I was also knocked unconscious for a bit and lucky enough to have a nurse on the scene. A single cop showed, but because the car that cut me off and caused the accident didn't contact my bike I was considered at fault.

The ambulance ride cost the insurance company about $1200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

100 Years in Iraq posted:

drat, where do you people live? When I highsided, I had like 6 cops, an ambulance and a paramedic there within about 3 minutes, and other than a bruised rear end I really was fine.

Although the cop didn't write the old lady who made me crash a ticket. :mad:

All depends on the area, if the cop budget is nice, and if the area is rather wealthy. Around Cincinnati there are parts with insane amounts of cops. They have 2 that direct traffic for a Wendy's and Taco Bell every day. Cars with a flat tire get there own cop to direct traffic around them, and any crash gets 2+ cars.

The one motorcycle crash I saw that happened near me that looked like someone sliding off the road into a big ditch had 2 fire engines, rescue squad, and a few cop cars. The few encounters I have had with cops have also been great. They seem to be decent in this area and really friendly towards bikers. They even wave to you :iamafag:

• Locked thread