Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
gently caress.

Last night went to a comedy club in Bellevue (I'm in seattle). Hopped on my bike with .5 of a drink left in my system. Started to drizzle without really raining, making everything slick as hell since it hadn't rained in a while. I was paranoid and nervous almost all the way home. Then, within 5 blocks of my house, a dipshit in a subaru changes lanes without signaling, I begin emergency braking, and the next thing I remember, I'm staggering off the road trying to find my head so I can take my helmet off.

Cop and firetruck stopped because there was a shooting going on at the college campus nearby (:wtc:), and a whole bunch of calling me 'chief' and 'big guy' ensued. Cop filed a report on my say-so which was nice of him.

Some nice guys were around to help me lug the thing up while I tried to figure out what was wrong with my hand.

Was wearing jeans and boot-like sneakers (they're somewhere in between, but good enough, as it turns out). Jeans weren't torn much, but I had jean-rash on my knees, and mesh-rash on my right forearm. Plus something bad happened to my left hand that I can't remember. Though it feels better now.

Bike still rides fine. Engine sounds fine. I rode it home, which I think the cop thought was stupid, but he was too nice to say anything. The right break pedal was bent to gently caress and had to be kicked into a more-or-less operable position.

I'm somewhat amazed that it wasn't worse while simultaneously being outrageously pissed. Gloves did alright, though I have a blood blister on my left hand.

oh, and the crystal on my watch popped/broke out but somehow it functions fine.

I have insurance--they're sending a vampire bat by next week to determine how much of their contract they intend to honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

:aaa:

Glad you're alright, looks like you got off pretty unscathed for not being fully geared. Man, I cannot imagine motherfuckers who go down without a full face helmet on. All of that scraping the helmet took..on your face..:gonk:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You're a loving champ for posting this. I hope new riders will take a lesson of your pictures and start to use gear. Thumb of rule is that your first bike and your first gear should be a 50/50 split cost wise. Helmets and leather is loving important. I'm glad you got out of it without the beating your helmet took.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Blaster of Justice posted:

You're a loving champ for posting this. I hope new riders will take a lesson of your pictures and start to use gear. Thumb of rule is that your first bike and your first gear should be a 50/50 split cost wise. Helmets and leather is loving important. I'm glad you got out of it without the beating your helmet took.

Gear is good yes, but I am not sure it has to be the most expensive gear. I think for a newbie rider a nice HJC helmet would be a better bet, since you probably will go down (usually at lower speeds) and bang up the helmet. While the rest of the gear might hold up, the helmet will have the be replaced, and if you have a super nice one it is going to rape your wallet.

That said I spent about 1200 on my first bike, and about 1000 on gear. If I would have purchased a new bike I dont think I would have purchased like 2500 in gear :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

If this doesn't convince people to buy full face helmets nothing will. Thank you for posting this.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

What is that website where it is basically just one long page of pictures meant to deter people from riding improperly? I found it here first but I have forgotten the link.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Budget Dracula posted:

What is that website where it is basically just one long page of pictures meant to deter people from riding improperly? I found it here first but I have forgotten the link.

Ride 2 die? Pretty much a collection of crash photos?

DON'T loving GO HERE IF YOU'RE SQUEMISH. PEOPLE MISSING ARMS, DEFLATED HEADS, ETC SHALL FOLLOW.

:nms: :nws: http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike.htm :nws: :nms:

NoCleverName
Nov 16, 2006

Chairon posted:

DON'T loving GO HERE IF YOU'RE SQUEMISH. PEOPLE MISSING ARMS, DEFLATED HEADS, ETC SHALL FOLLOW.

Jesus Christ, why did I read that whole page.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
gently caress, every time I see that page, I forget that its really nothing more than a bunch of tiny, blurry crash scene pictures and pictures of road rash - until the last few images. :gonk:

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Chairon posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

I swear, I'm giving this address to the next person here at work that asks me why I'm wearing gear.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
leathers won't save you from going 200+ mph. ;)

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

Chairon posted:

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck... why did you show me that. shouldnt have looked. saving up for my first bike

E: I think for every 10 or so awful bike pictures and stories in this thread, there should be one good statistic to make us all feel better. Especially aspiring new riders :)

We get awesome mileage for the most part. So when we die well die with a thick wad of extra cash in out back pockets.

philkop fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 31, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

philkop posted:

We get awesome mileage for the most part. So when we die well die with a thick wad of extra cash in out back pockets.

If you die with a thick wad of extra cash you probably crashed because you haven't been keeping up on maintenance :toot:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

philkop posted:

E: I think for every 10 or so awful bike pictures and stories in this thread, there should be one good statistic to make us all feel better. Especially aspiring new riders :)

If you want some feel good statistics, well..I don't have the actual statistic but a large number of accidents are alcohol/drug related. Last week a guy at work broke his leg after crashing his bike but he rode it drunk so yea.

So yea, don't drink and ride.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

philkop posted:

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck... why did you show me that. shouldnt have looked. saving up for my first bike

Wearing a helmet, proper training, and not drinking and driving reduce your chances of being in a fatal accident by around 70%. 50% of fatals have alcohol involved.

I dunno if you'd consider this an inspiring statistic, but over the last 5 years I've put roughly 130k across 10 bikes, I've crashed 7 times, 3 at the track, 4 on the street, and have never had any injury more serious than a concussion and some minor road rash. Never been to the hospital or the ER as a result of a crash, and those 4 street crashes were all avoidable if I'd just slowed down and pay a little closer attention to my surroundings.

So even if you do crash, if you're geared up, chances are as long as you're not acting like a complete idiot, you'll be fine. There's the occasional freak accident, but in my mind it exists on the same level as falling down the stairs in your house...sometimes, you just get the poo poo end of the stick.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I wonder what the statistics are if you take no-gear squids and no-front-brake Harleys out of the equation

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Good thing Muffet still had a buzz going or he probably coulda been really hurt.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
hilarious.

half a drink at 265lbs didn't seem like much of a risk, and the ride was over 20 minutes, so it was out of my system by the time this happened.

I'm not actually dumber than poo poo, appearances to contrary.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Makes me feel a lot better. I would never think to drink and drive, hell i already hate driving my scooter hung over. And yeah actually, I'm very irresponsible with maintenance. But once I save for a new bike I'll keep on that. Oh and not the appropriate thread, but z3n you suggested I should get a beater bike to get some practice on so I don't damage a nice sv650. Solution... http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/1336480756.html

:)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

philkop posted:

Makes me feel a lot better. I would never think to drink and drive, hell i already hate driving my scooter hung over. And yeah actually, I'm very irresponsible with maintenance. But once I save for a new bike I'll keep on that. Oh and not the appropriate thread, but z3n you suggested I should get a beater bike to get some practice on so I don't damage a nice sv650. Solution... http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/1336480756.html

:)

You can post stuff in whatever thread, trust me, I'll see it. :v:

That looks about perfect though, if you've decided on an SV.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Z3n posted:

if you've decided on an SV.

Trust me, I been decided for quite some time. I actually remember thew first time I saw one. I had never been a fan of sportsbike looking bikes, was into the cafes and stuff. (nothing against sports bikes, a few look amazing, most to me are just meh)

I was walking out of albertsons with a friend when I saw it and I actually said aloud "Holy poo poo.. what is that :O" Turned out to be a silver sv650 with only the head fairing. Pointy too no less. Wanted one ever since.

Figure I'll add some thread related content. Searched a few pages didn't see this. I bit more lighthearted than most of this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlYymSFq5L4
Aha, funny to see someone whos trying to show off get whats coming to them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxbHyEIkgdU
Come on everyone knows you gotta burn off some of the rubber of them new tires. Even I knew that :doh:

E: Crash report: It was a sunday afternoon. Was visiting my girlfriend that day, she lives in one of the aparment complexes with the really black paved roads. I'm sure some of you know EXACTLY what I mean. The real slick stuff. I had rode there on my scooter a couple times before, only to be grilled by her harley riding neighbor. It had been raining that day but was sunny now. I decided today I was gonna be a man. as I speed up to well over the suggested 5 miles ( I might have been doing 7! :O ) I attempted to round the sharp corner in a smug manner as i gave him a smart rear end nod and a thumbs up. I rounded the corner just fine, it was all over, I had won. But the backside of my scoot decided it wasnt finished turning yet. So I did almost a 360 before falling on my rear end and bashfully picking up my scooter and walking to my girls house in front of the neighbor and a few of his harley riding friends with huge smiles on their faces.

Thankfully this is the extent of my accident experience.

philkop fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 1, 2009

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

philkop posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlYymSFq5L4
Aha, funny to see someone whos trying to show off get whats coming to them.

I know it's mean to laugh, but I lol'ed as he was trying to pick up the bike, before realizing that he wasn't capable of standing up :)

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
concussions are a loving pain in the rear end. Your brain isn't working right, and *knows* it, but somehow can't figure out why.

"gently caress! I've got to get off the road... whoa... I'm dizzy for some reason... Did I just hit my head? Man. That sucks. But why am I dizzy? Oh poo poo, curb! *trip*"

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
I don't know about other states, but illinois seems to have a pretty big drive going for motorcycle safety. Everywhere I go people have banners for "START SEEING MOTORCYCLES" and I get all :3: inside. The local talk radio station also runs PSA's constantly about how riders should always wear safety gear and never drink and ride.

But then everytime I stop by my kawa dealer to peruse, I hear a story of some dick getting on his bike and crashing after leaving the bar.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
People have started putting these little signs out on their lawns around here that have

See
Motorcycles
And
Respect
Them

on them, which makes me happy and I'd love to know where to get one.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Those signs are put out by Ontario Road Riders Association. From what I could gather, they put them out where motorcycle accidents occur. You might be able to get one if you contact them. You might have to be a member, though.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

hilarious.

half a drink at 265lbs didn't seem like much of a risk, and the ride was over 20 minutes, so it was out of my system by the time this happened.

I'm not actually dumber than poo poo, appearances to contrary.

Sorry - by the way you worded your post I sorta thought that you had drank more, but figured you had about half a beer of booze left in you. I think having a drink or six while riding isn't the worst thing in the world anyway.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Had a real doozy of a crash a few weeks ago. Going roughly 70-100 mph up a slight hill on an unbanked, divided road dragging knee through the turns. Right before one of the turns I had stuck my knee out and positioned my body, going around 70 mph (I glanced down at my speed before positioning myself) and then I fell on my right side and low slided right as I started turning.

My knee was the first thing to hit the ground, then my elbow, then my handlebar. The bike slid away from me and bounced off the center divider, while I skidded to a stop well away from it.

I was wearing full body leather, racing boots, gloves, and a full faced helmet. The full leather suit and boots my mom purchased for me cause she was scared for my safety, and I can honestly say that was possibly the best purchased she ever made. I got minor road rash on my finger, elbow, and hip. Two fractured toes and a sprained wrist and ankle. 3 weeks later I'm walking and doing various activities without any bandaging or casts.

Now for some pictures:

Disgusting pic of my finger: http://j.photos.cx/c3481953e937c4a5ac39d3a9031ba706-713.jpg

What I think happened based on memory and what other people said who saw the scene: http://j.photos.cx/cb1f207cbeab3bbc577e26f540973ab4-a63.jpg

The tow truck driver I talked to when picking up my bike called that road "The bike eater". It has eucalyptus oil all over it and he constantly tows bikes all the time from there.

Now I am going to start seriously doing track riding and not just talking or thinking about it. Plan to get a GSXR-1000 (2008 or 2009).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

Now I am going to start seriously doing track riding and not just talking or thinking about it. Plan to get a GSXR-1000 (2008 or 2009).

Buy a 600. Unless, of course, you love assholes passing you in the corners. :v:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

Buy a 600. Unless, of course, you love assholes passing you in the corners. :v:

There's turns at the track? Fuckkkkkkk

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

There's turns at the track? Fuckkkkkkk

If you're talking about that other track, then this could be the first time anyone has ever unironically suggested a turbo busa.

Get a turbo busa.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

1st bike down
2 more to go till backpanther status

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I already ride a 1000 suzuki bike, so I don't see the problem from changing from a V-twin to a 4 cyllinder when I'm so used to the weight and size. Maybe if I were a tiny five and a half foot, 140lb person. I rode a few 600s and they're really cramped and tiny.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

I already ride a 1000 suzuki bike, so I don't see the problem from changing from a V-twin to a 4 cyllinder when I'm so used to the weight and size. Maybe if I were a tiny five and a half foot, 140lb person. I rode a few 600s and they're really cramped and tiny.

Best...troll...ever. :xd:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

Quoting this for the future 'I wadded my gixxah' post in this thread.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
I went down on a borrowed TW200 last Sunday. I was riding with the local adv rider club up the back of Mt Lemmon. It was only my second time out on dirt and everyone else was very skilled. I was doing a fair job of keeping up, then I started having waaaay too much fun hopping off of hills and flying up the mountain...then I came to a steep downward slope with a tight gravel covered turn at the bottom. I don't know what exactly I did wrong, probably a little of everything. I braked to about 35mph before I went over in the turn. My gear did it's job, except my jacket, which slid up and left my exposed hip grating on the ground. This was worsened by a small rock which decided to embed into my flesh and left me with something resembling a bullet wound.

I got back on and rode the rest of the way to the top without incident...with a little more caution and a little less worry over slowing down the group.

The bike has some scratches but is otherwise fine. Those little buggers can really take a beating.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Jack the Smack posted:

Had a real doozy of a crash a few weeks ago. Going roughly 70-100 mph up a slight hill on an unbanked, divided road dragging knee through the turns. Right before one of the turns I had stuck my knee out and positioned my body, going around 70 mph (I glanced down at my speed before positioning myself) and then I fell on my right side and low slided right as I started turning.

http://j.photos.cx/cb1f207cbeab3bbc577e26f540973ab4-a63.jpg

Really? You were going to drag knee on that corner? On that public road?

Jack the Smack posted:

Plan to get a GSXR-1000 (2008 or 2009).

Good luck with that.

NoCleverName
Nov 16, 2006

Becktastic posted:

I got back on and rode the rest of the way to the top without incident...with a little more caution and a little less worry over slowing down the group.

The bike has some scratches but is otherwise fine. Those little buggers can really take a beating.

Are you up to date on tetanus? If not, you definitely want to be, that's a pretty deep wound.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

NoCleverName posted:

Are you up to date on tetanus? If not, you definitely want to be, that's a pretty deep wound.
Yeah, I did some third world country travel and I'm pretty much vaccinated against everything.

It looks even nastier than the picture now. A lot of yellow bruising and black scabbing in the deep part. As long as there's no puss it's probably healing okay though right? I showered, cleaned with alcohol (don't ever do that, it hurts.) and have been smothering with antibiotic ointment periodically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
it's probably healing fairly well in any case. Deep wounds are dangerous if animal or plant matter is what penetrates you. Rock, metal, and glass are fairly inhospitable to bacteria when they're hanging out in the world, so you're less likely to have a problem.

Unless it was covered in poo poo.

It wasn't covered in poo poo was it?

You'll need a poo poo vaccine in that case.

• Locked thread