Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Haha there were cows around...but I'm pretty sure even poo poo is baked sterile after about 30 minutes in the Arizona sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
oh in that case you're fine.

Nothing can live in Arizona.

Humper
Apr 15, 2003

Very concerned about penis
This is a near-crash report, fortunately.

Yesterday I was riding home after picking up my girlfriend from work. She has been very nervous about the motorcycle for a long time, and has finally decided to try riding pillion. This is her fourth trip ever on the bike, and she's getting a little more comfortable.

After riding for about 45 minutes through some awesome back twisty roads past Monticello, we get to the final turn before my house. There are two left turn lanes; I'm in the right hand one.

The arrow turns green, and the huge SUV to my left goes. I go, and as I'm about halfway through the turn I hear that horrible sound of screeching brakes to my right. A car coming the other way has run the red light and is about to sandwich me into the SUV.

In the split second I watched this happen, my thoughts were:

1) I bet we're going to get a huge insurance check from this, that would solve my money problems!
2) He's going to T-bone the back of the bike, which will crush my girlfriend's right leg.
3) This SUV to my left is not going to be a fun thing to be sandwiched against.
4) His car looks super old and rusty, I bet he doesn't even have insurance. gently caress.
5) Why the hell didn't I see him coming before I turned left?
6) O poo poo BETTER HIT THE loving GAS

Fortunately, #6 saved my rear end. I hit the gas so hard I thought I was going to wheelie out of there, but 800 lbs of cruiser (Boulevard C90) + fat-rear end rider + passenger made that not happen.

I honestly have no idea how his car didn't hit me. When he slid to a stop behind the bike, it really felt like we were somehow occupying the same space at the same time. He must have missed us by less than a foot.

I think that he had skidded to probably about only 20-30 MPH before he passed us, so I don't know how badly we would have been hurt, but even writing about it now is making my heart pound.

I hate people.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Humper posted:

This is a near-crash report, fortunately.

Yesterday I was riding home after picking up my girlfriend from work. She has been very nervous about the motorcycle for a long time, and has finally decided to try riding pillion. This is her fourth trip ever on the bike, and she's getting a little more comfortable.

After riding for about 45 minutes through some awesome back twisty roads past Monticello, we get to the final turn before my house. There are two left turn lanes; I'm in the right hand one.

The arrow turns green, and the huge SUV to my left goes. I go, and as I'm about halfway through the turn I hear that horrible sound of screeching brakes to my right. A car coming the other way has run the red light and is about to sandwich me into the SUV.

In the split second I watched this happen, my thoughts were:

1) I bet we're going to get a huge insurance check from this, that would solve my money problems!
2) He's going to T-bone the back of the bike, which will crush my girlfriend's right leg.
3) This SUV to my left is not going to be a fun thing to be sandwiched against.
4) His car looks super old and rusty, I bet he doesn't even have insurance. gently caress.
5) Why the hell didn't I see him coming before I turned left?
6) O poo poo BETTER HIT THE loving GAS

Fortunately, #6 saved my rear end. I hit the gas so hard I thought I was going to wheelie out of there, but 800 lbs of cruiser (Boulevard C90) + fat-rear end rider + passenger made that not happen.

I honestly have no idea how his car didn't hit me. When he slid to a stop behind the bike, it really felt like we were somehow occupying the same space at the same time. He must have missed us by less than a foot.

I think that he had skidded to probably about only 20-30 MPH before he passed us, so I don't know how badly we would have been hurt, but even writing about it now is making my heart pound.

I hate people.

It's situations like this that get me honked at : I will NOT enter an intersection if I think there's a chance someone else will run the light. People behind me can honk all they want, but that one time I thought "I don't think this guy is gonna stop" and he didn't makes all the honking in the world only remind me how much I enjoy my body in (nearly) pristine condition.

I'm glad your story had the ending it did, as I'm thinking about purchasing a jacket and helmet to be able to take a passenger sometime soon. I'm still not entirely sure I want to take on that responsibility yet... (orwhat size jacket to get that'll fit whatever girl is willing to ride with me)

Everyone IS out there to kill you, sometimes even yourself, so keep those eyes open!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Jack the Smack posted:

Had a real doozy of a crash a few weeks ago.

Why does your SV1000 have an SV650 graphic on the front fairing?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

UserNotFound posted:

It's situations like this that get me honked at : I will NOT enter an intersection if I think there's a chance someone else will run the light. People behind me can honk all they want, but that one time I thought "I don't think this guy is gonna stop" and he didn't makes all the honking in the world only remind me how much I enjoy my body in (nearly) pristine condition.

I'm glad your story had the ending it did, as I'm thinking about purchasing a jacket and helmet to be able to take a passenger sometime soon. I'm still not entirely sure I want to take on that responsibility yet... (orwhat size jacket to get that'll fit whatever girl is willing to ride with me)

Everyone IS out there to kill you, sometimes even yourself, so keep those eyes open!

Yeah, this is the number one reason to not partake in the Stoplight GP.

I've found the best call is to treat a red that's gone green like a stop sign. You look left, right, and then check for that retard making a left in front of you, and then you go.

Humper
Apr 15, 2003

Very concerned about penis

Z3n posted:

Yeah, this is the number one reason to not partake in the Stoplight GP.

I've found the best call is to treat a red that's gone green like a stop sign. You look left, right, and then check for that retard making a left in front of you, and then you go.

I certainly used to do this, but about a year ago I got rear-ended at a red light when the bitch behind me decided not to wait for me and just jammed on the gas from the #2 position. so I'm totally torn about the best technique.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Humper posted:

I certainly used to do this, but about a year ago I got rear-ended at a red light when the bitch behind me decided not to wait for me and just jammed on the gas from the #2 position. so I'm totally torn about the best technique.

I usually start my scan right before the light goes green, thusly I can avoid getting rear ended.

Although, seriously now, what the hell is wrong with people that she just decided to go despite you being there? :psyduck:

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Z3n posted:

I usually start my scan right before the light goes green, thusly I can avoid getting rear ended.

Although, seriously now, what the hell is wrong with people that she just decided to go despite you being there? :psyduck:

I would guess habit, See green, press pedal. They figure you're going anyway and aren't actually thinking about what's going on.

I had a guy almost hit me head on today turning the wrong way onto a one way street. I was sitting at a red light and this fuckin guy comes buzzing up around the corner. Fortunately he caught himself in time and went off in his original direction. I almost fuckin fell over, scared the poo poo out of me.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

sirbeefalot posted:

Why does your SV1000 have an SV650 graphic on the front fairing?

First time I fell messed up the front fairing pretty hard and just bought a 650 one since it was cheap.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Dude, people don't even watch their own lights anymore, they watch the cross street's and try to jump into action ASAP. I've seen so many people start driving forward when the other direction has an advance green it's not even funny. Or again, people 3 cars back start moving without taking notice the people right in front of them aren't even off their brakes yet.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Oh, we can do close calls? Couple weeks ago I had three different loving people in 2 days change lanes without looking and nearly cream me.

On the way home from work, I'm going through a downtown area in the left lane of traffic, approaching a red light. Dumb bitch on her cell phone in an SUV in the right lane decides she doesn't need to look (or even check her mirror) and changes lanes right when I'm about even with her driver window. Luckily there were no cars in the left turn lane, so I squeeze left and hit the horn. She doesn't hear me because she too busy blabbing on her phone.

Now, I'm pretty sure they didn't teach this in the MSF but for some reason my instinct is to reach over and pound on her loving window. That's how close she is to me. I startle the gently caress out of her and she hits the brakes enough to let me back into the lane in front of her. Then she stays back like 50 feet as I turn around and glare at her while stopped. She's STILL ON THE loving PHONE, but she's making "holy poo poo I almost killed someone" motions and trying really hard not to look in my direction.

Not two loving miles later, some old man decides to do the exact same loving thing. This time I make a better decision and gun it while I blow the horn. I get another "Oh gently caress, my bad" look. :rolleyes:

The next day on the way to work, some douche in a Jeep decides that he doesn't need to look, and the same loving thing happens again. This time, I'm on the freeway. Again, thank God the left lane is clear, and I move over and gun it.

:argh:

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
A riding buddy of mine has kicked (and dented) door panels of vehicles that have run him out of his lane. I've personally seen him fold in someone's side mirror before. It's humorous to me, because I literally backed off behind the car about 10 seconds before the incident on intuition, and it totally payed off. There he was, prepared to act out of vengeance, but not prepared enough to notice that the other guy had out of state plates, talking on the cellphone, and the car's lane becoming turn only without much warning.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

UserNotFound posted:

There he was, prepared to act out of vengeance, but not prepared enough to notice that the other guy had out of state plates, talking on the cellphone, and the car's lane becoming turn only without much warning.

This is the perfect reply. Always be aware of the situation the cars around you are in. I can almost always tell when someone is going to change lanes suddenly.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The NonBornKing posted:

This is the perfect reply. Always be aware of the situation the cars around you are in. I can almost always tell when someone is going to change lanes suddenly.

I agree with this. In each of these cases, however I was already parallel with the driver window in traffic heavy enough to make in impractical to stay in a position where there's nobody next to me at all times. In fact, I was accelerating to avoid staying in such a position, but the drivers just never bothered to turn their heads even a few degrees before changing lanes. In the first instance, I was approaching a light and the only way I could have avoided the situation would have been to stop like 8 car lengths away from the light.

I do pay enough attention that I was able to escape, just the first time my brain selected a totally inappropriate response. :haw:

Tipped
Jan 9, 2007

I was on a 3 lane highway (290) in Mass formed by 2 exit ramps from another highway (495) and 1 local access road. I was in the middle lane, a semi was to my left, and the local access ramp was coming up on my right to form the third lane. There really isn't much to do at this part of 290 besides pray to God you don't die. A blue-hair comes flying off the ramp and bombs into my lane, I barely miss her by swerving towards the semi, and hitting the brakes pretty hard. If my knee was three inches further over I would have hit the semi's rear tire.

I get up next to her on the right and she flips me off. :psyduck:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The worst intersection situation is when a light goes green just as you're approaching the intersection and you're still at speed. If you brake to scan the intersection you risk a rear ending and if you buzz through you risk someone running a stale red and nailing you.

The only strategy I have for this is to slowly bleed off a little speed with my rear brake and scan the intersection like crazy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

The worst intersection situation is when a light goes green just as you're approaching the intersection and you're still at speed. If you brake to scan the intersection you risk a rear ending and if you buzz through you risk someone running a stale red and nailing you.

The only strategy I have for this is to slowly bleed off a little speed with my rear brake and scan the intersection like crazy.

It can be a good call to slow early while the light is still red even if you know the light will go green before you get there. Just roll off early, flicker your brake lights, and glance at your mirrors if you think you've got someone who could run up your rear end.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.
Well, I've got nobody to blame but my own carelessness for this one. Hit an oil patch at a 50kph left hander on Sunday afternoon. Bike managed to catch on the tail, rip the light assembly off, and I watched it slam back in to the ground and make this hole:

It also twisted the forks in the triple tree, seems like they're not bent, but as soon as I get my service stand back from a friend I'll be able to confirm. All in all should only be a couple of hundred bananas and a half a day of my time to restore.

I landed almost directly on my tailbone somehow, and can barely sit for the second day. All geared so no rash or anything, minor scrapes on gloves and jacket, helmet didn't hit the ground.

Carelessness/complacency mostly stems from the fact that I took the same line through that very corner about 3 hours earlier in the day, and the oil wasn't there. I just wasn't paying attention to the road surface at all.

Ironically it was on my way home from practicing getting the front wheel up in an empty industrial estate far away from any roads (closed course, 'professional' riders :v:), and the bike and injury kinda looks like I looped a wheelie, so maybe I'll go with that when people ask... :(

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Tipped posted:

I get up next to her on the right and she flips me off. :psyduck:

gently caress Massachusetts. You couldn't pay me enough to move back there.

Take a trip up to northern New Hampshire or Vermont and learn to enjoy the bike again. Sorry you have to deal with that crap.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

It can be a good call to slow early while the light is still red even if you know the light will go green before you get there. Just roll off early, flicker your brake lights, and glance at your mirrors if you think you've got someone who could run up your rear end.

LA is balls deep in dangerous intersections thanks to the complete absence of protected left turns. I always slow up when approaching them if there's traffic cars blocking the view of oncoming traffic. Of course, I still got hit but can't win em all. loving LA drivers.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
At the start of my vacation a couple weeks ago, I dropped the Weestrom in a park access road. Slow speed, little damage other than cosmetic - a few plastic bits at the front got scuffed, as did my pants and jacket. The crashbars and sidecase took most of the hit - more scuffing, no deformation. It wasn't near enough to stop me from continuing on, so obviously I'm pretty pleased with how things worked out. I even used the case for the rest of the trip, and there's a bit of a story about that unfortunate bastard.

What I want to know is, what should I do about the scuff to the crashbar? It's steel, and it's already rusted a bit. I'd kind of like to steel wool off the rust, and then apply some sort of clearcoat, is that feasible? Or should I look at getting it ground relatively smooth and repainted or powdercoated?

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Phy posted:

At the start of my vacation a couple weeks ago, I dropped the Weestrom in a park access road. Slow speed, little damage other than cosmetic - a few plastic bits at the front got scuffed, as did my pants and jacket. The crashbars and sidecase took most of the hit - more scuffing, no deformation. It wasn't near enough to stop me from continuing on, so obviously I'm pretty pleased with how things worked out. I even used the case for the rest of the trip, and there's a bit of a story about that unfortunate bastard.

What I want to know is, what should I do about the scuff to the crashbar? It's steel, and it's already rusted a bit. I'd kind of like to steel wool off the rust, and then apply some sort of clearcoat, is that feasible? Or should I look at getting it ground relatively smooth and repainted or powdercoated?
Leave it. Battle wounds are cool on dual sports!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

Battle scars are what make motorcycles badass. Leave it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Battle scars are what make motorcycles badass. Leave it.

Well yeah, but I don't want the bar to rust through, which it will happily do if I do nothing. Steel wool and clearcoat?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

Well yeah, but I don't want the bar to rust through, which it will happily do if I do nothing. Steel wool and clearcoat?

How bad is the scraping? I don't think you need to be concerned about it rusting through. If so, though, I'd probably just steel wool it and hit it with flat black. If you ever down it again, another shot of flat black takes care of it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

And there's surface rust in the low spots, by now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

And there's surface rust in the low spots, by now.

If you're concerned about it, you could scrub it clean and then dip it in POR15 or something.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot
N/M

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Had another accident today. Looking back, I shouldn't have been riding at all, or at least thought things through a little more. Riding out in the middle of nowhere, my bike died on me. I couldn't figure it out, and as far as I can tell now, I just ran out of gas earlier than expected because I had been running higher rpm's over the weekend. After letting the bike sit, swishing the gas around a little, and putting it on reserve, the bike fired up. On the way home, I low sided in a left turn.

Far as I can tell, I was taking it too tight and leaned too far. My goal was to avoid a man-hole cover. Not wanting to feel the rear squiggle around like it has want to do, I figured I would turn a little later, thus avoiding the cover. The turn was tighter than I thought and I went down. Being a stupid poo poo-head, I thought I could lean that much. Lesson learned, I guess. The aftermath is a horribly bent clutch lever, and a slightly bent shifter, with plenty of scrapes to go along with it. Also a more pronounced dent in the gas tank.

Clutch and bar end.

Mirror and fairing.

A-star force air jacket.

TCX X-square boots.

Overall, I came out ok. As soon as I got home I ordered some textile pants from newenough to go with the jacket. I feel if I had been going faster I would have ripped through my jeans and had to go to the hospital. I'm glad I got the back protector, well worth the extra 40 bucks. My boots held up well, better than my other wreck.

My only worries are mechanical problems on the bike and my helmet. The bike starts ok, but with the clutch being hosed up I don't really want to ride it. I pushed it home, and it seems to shift ok. The clutch doesn't quite have the pull it did and feels like it shifts roughly. Being bent, i'm guessing it just doesn't move as far as it should. My helmet, well. I can't remember if I hit my head or not. I only see scratches it's already had from before. Should I be concerned?

Also, what of the dent in the gas tank? Do I need to worry about rust or detritus? Should I get a quote to fix it for insurance? Or if it goes unfixed will I be hosed? I don't really mind the cosmetic difference, I just don't want my tank to be ruined.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Methusulah posted:

Overall, I came out ok. As soon as I got home I ordered some textile pants from newenough to go with the jacket. I feel if I had been going faster I would have ripped through my jeans and had to go to the hospital. I'm glad I got the back protector, well worth the extra 40 bucks. My boots held up well, better than my other wreck.

My only worries are mechanical problems on the bike and my helmet. The bike starts ok, but with the clutch being hosed up I don't really want to ride it. I pushed it home, and it seems to shift ok. The clutch doesn't quite have the pull it did and feels like it shifts roughly. Being bent, i'm guessing it just doesn't move as far as it should. My helmet, well. I can't remember if I hit my head or not. I only see scratches it's already had from before. Should I be concerned?

1. How fast were you going?

2. Get a new helmet

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

ohwandernearer posted:

1. How fast were you going?

2. Get a new helmet

1. I would guess between 15 and 20.

2. Good idea, I have to find a shop near me so I can try on some different brands

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Don't worry about the dent in the tank. Are you sure that the bike didn't cut out from running low on gas midcorner? Were you on the throttle or off the throttle? Did you scrape pegs before you lowsided?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Z3n posted:

Don't worry about the dent in the tank. Are you sure that the bike didn't cut out from running low on gas midcorner? Were you on the throttle or off the throttle? Did you scrape pegs before you lowsided?

I had it on reserve, with some gas visible when i had checked earlier. I was on the gas, but I can only guess not enough. It almost seems like I basically tipped over. I don't remember scraping pegs, really the worst of it was taken by the left handlebar. A friend of mine will be over to give it a once over with me sometime this week. I'm fairly confident there aren't any issues, but I'm even more confident I don't know a drat thing. We'll have to see how things go.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Methusulah posted:

I had it on reserve, with some gas visible when i had checked earlier. I was on the gas, but I can only guess not enough. It almost seems like I basically tipped over. I don't remember scraping pegs, really the worst of it was taken by the left handlebar. A friend of mine will be over to give it a once over with me sometime this week. I'm fairly confident there aren't any issues, but I'm even more confident I don't know a drat thing. We'll have to see how things go.

Maybe it's time to pick up some reading...Total Control, Sport Riding Techniques, and Proficient Motorcycling would be my recommendations.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Shark face guy that fell, what were your tire pressures at?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
When i checked 2 days before, 32-f and 36-r sport demons on an ex250.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
I just lowsided at low speed (15-20mph) after a woman pulled out in front of me without looking or signaling leaving me no room or time to get out of her way. The only option was to brake hard and go down. She took off but three guys came back to me with her plate number and vouched to be witnesses and make sure I was okay. I was pissed but unhurt thanks to my gear which had done its job.

Police report filed (cop was a rider so he was cool and took the woman's info down understanding that she caused me to fall), insurance company contacted (I have full collector's coverage so we'll see what happens)

Here's a pic of the bike BEFORE the accident:

1971 BMW R75/5

Damage to bike:

Handlebars look bent to me:

Exhaust dinged:

And the worst, valve cover and innards knackered:

Not shown: seat bracket broken small tears in seat, battery tray broken, cracked GPS Ram Mount, throttle stuck and unknown internal mechanical and suspension damage.

Damage to me:

Lightly skinned knees, and a bruise on one hand. I was wearing all gear except pants - pants would've saved me from the skinned knees.

Helmet, HJC Symax II, chinbar stayed shut, helmet did its job:

Jacket, Rukka Steel, I had to search to find out where it hit (left elbow):

Boots, SIDI Strada, no pics but I just have a scrape on the toe of the right boot.

Gloves, Teknic leather gauntlet type things, just the heel pad of the right one is scraped a bit.

It's weird that the left elbow of my jacket and the right side of my helmet got scraped so I must have rolled while sliding.

gently caress cars.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Niiiiiiiiice bike. I'm glad you made it out undamaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Methusulah posted:

The aftermath is a horribly bent clutch lever, and a slightly bent shifter, with plenty of scrapes to go along with it.

The bike starts ok, but with the clutch being hosed up I don't really want to ride it. I pushed it home, and it seems to shift ok. The clutch doesn't quite have the pull it did and feels like it shifts roughly. Being bent, i'm guessing it just doesn't move as far as it should.

I had a hosed up clutch lever for a while on my ninja and here is what i learned.
1. Adjust the clutch cable to make up for room you may have lost or gained from the low side. I was having terrrrriiibbllee issues with my bike and it pretty much was fixed by tightening the cable...

2. It is totally possible to ride with a bent clutch. I had to reach a little further, and pull a little harder... and riding after going rock climbing was very painful. But it is possible.

3. Replacing the lever is easy and cheap.

• Locked thread