Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
So I had my first crash today. I was riding through the parking lot of the Intel campus in DuPont after riding up from Portland for InfernaLAN. It was dusk, and fairly dark. I'd turned in to the parking lot from an access road, and just about mid-way through the turn, at what I think was about 15 mph, I found myself lying on the ground next to the bike, and I'm fairly certain that the reason was the large patch of pea gravel lying in the middle of the road.

I managed to wreck the 'crash pad' thing on the left of my Teknic Chicane gloves, and tear some really small holes around the pockets of my Olympia Phantom suit. The thick Cordura patch on the left knee also shows a bit of wear, but seems to be intact. I also left a large scuff on my left boot. Fortunately, my helmet seems to be undamaged.

As for the bike, there was some abrasion of material from the clutch lever and bar end, and some scrapes on the fairings and center-stand lever. Other then that, there wasn't really any damage that I could see. All the gas from the float bowls leaked out on to the pavement, though, and I guess it flooded the engine too, since I couldn't get it started until after I'd let the bike sit for a while. I also managed to tear off one of the little buckle-straps on my saddlebags.

All in all, the worst injury here was to my pride, though I suppose I will have to go buy some new gloves and epoxy the buckle-strap back on to my saddle bags, and maybe apply some black paint to my clutch lever and bar end. I'll try to update with pictures after I get home and get my camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
gently caress.

I just got backed into by a fedex van that had missed its turn near the end of my neighborhood. I came to a stop about a car length and a half behind them after they had stopped, and then they threw it into reverse and slammed on the gas. I exchaged insurance information with the driver, and after he left my neighbor came out and told me he saw the whole thing.

As for the damage, from what I can tell the whole front fender is completely trashed, and the wheel may be bent. My saddlebags are also rashed where the bike fell on them, and my gear is in more or less the same shape.

I'd take pictures, but I lent my camera to a friend for the weekend, so I'll have take some once I get the camera back.

I know I probably won't be able to do anything until monday, but what is the common procedure for this sort of thing? Do I call their insurance first, or take the bike to the dealer for a damage estimate and then call their insurance?

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

Z3n posted:

What level of coverage do you have?

If you've got full coverage, you call your insurance, report the accident, and they'll deal with getting it fixed and then take it out of the other insurance company.

Did the police come out? Do you have a police report?

If you've got partial coverage or are in an at will state, then contact your insurance anyways and report the claim. Do it ASAP, they should have 24 hour lines.

I have liability and comprehensive without collision (for if the bike gets vandalized or stolen). The police were not contacted, so there wasn't any accident report or finding of fault from them. In hindsight, I really should have suggested calling them, but I wasn't thinking straight.

I've also just called my insurance, who've said they'd have a representative call back on monday before noon, and the call highlighted the lack of information I was actually given. It appears that the van's driver only gave me a name, date of birth, driver's license number, make/model of vehicle and insurance phone number. No personal contact info, or policy number. I'm feeling really stupid right now for not paying closer attention to what she gave me :bang:.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

Bhyo posted:

Call Fed-ex, tell them one of their van drivers backed into you and you think they gave you bogus info. If you tell them the time and the area, they're bound to be able to work out which van it was even if you have incomplete licence plate numbers etc.

I got a call back from my insurance, who've gotten in touch with their insurance, and the claims representative offered to get me the phone number of the van's driver. Hopefully I'll be able to give her a call tommorow to get additional information, which at this point I should only need for the DMV accident report.

Edit: Here are the pictures, as promised:

As you can see, the front fender is pretty much done for.

My left saddlebag got a bit rashed.

As did my left boot, though admittedly some of that might have been from when I dropped it in a gravel-strewn parking lot earlier this year.

My olympia phantom riding suit took some damage here too, though again some part of the visible damage is from that parking lot accident.

The helmet also looks like it might contacted pavement at low speed, though it's hard to say. I suppose sending it off to the manufacturer for an x-raying at the other party's insurer's expense is the way to go, though they may just give me money for a new helmet outright.

sectoidman fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 14, 2009

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Well, the shop got back to me. $5k parts+labor.

I'm guessing I need to start shopping for a new bike now :(.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

Z3n posted:

:monocle:

What was wrong with it? If it's mostly cosmetic, buy it back, fix the cosmetics, and ride it into the ground. Pocket the extra cash.

Looking at the damage report, I think the shop went and picked out all the damage the bike has taken over its lifetime. Most of the stuff is cosmetic, but they want to replace the front forks and holder, which comes out to over $1000 not including labor. I suppose I could do it myself with parts from a junkyard or similar, but I'd be worried about getting screwed by insurance if I'm in another accident, or if I decide I want sell this one to get a different bike some time down the road (though admittedly I'd likely ride this one into the ground).

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

Those situations are the worst. That's why I ride on the far left of the lane and move into the breakdown lane if that happens. I also tailgate any 4 wheel vehicles in front of me.

Also, do you have HIDs?

Are you sure tailgating a car/truck is a good idea in that situation? If they hit someone who cuts them off by pulling in to the lane, they're going to stop pretty drat quick and without much warning.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
The stock tires on the Ninja 250 are incredibly lovely, especially when they get old and bald. And they get old and bald awfully fast; the ones on my last bike were brand new when I bought it with 3k miles on the clock and were toast by 8-9k miles.

Any of the tires from either the performance or touring sections of this list will be exponentially better. I am particularly fond of the MT75, which has the distinction of being one of the cheapest tires there while also being one of the stickiest. They don't last too long, but based on my own experience you should probably get nearly 10-12k out of the fronts and maybe 6k out of the rears if you ride normally.

sectoidman fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 23, 2010

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Crashed today.

I was going about 20 MPH around a corner on Germantown road (fairly famous twisty road in the Portland area) and hit an expertly-disguised patch of gravel in the middle of the turn. My gear did its job pretty well for the most part, but my right big toe hurts like hell, and I'll probably have to set up an appointment to get it X-rayed. Gonna need new boots and a new riding suit probably too.

Bike's fine for the most part, and the saddlebags and left handlebar took the brunt of the damage.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
So, I had an off yesterday.

I was leaving the parking lot at work, and as best I can remember, I clipped the curb at the end of the driveway, lost control, and high-sided. Woke up being loaded into the ambulance, everything before that is somewhat fuzzy. Chalk it up to pilot error due to fatigue (was working late + not much sleep, it's performance-review time).

My gear did its job, was wearing a scorpion EXO700 helmet (obviously toast), AGV jacket, Gaerne boots, Cortech gloves and a pair of kevlar-lined jeans and got out of it with a concussion, sore knees, a fat lip, and a cut on my chin where it hit the chinbar. Got out of the hospital the same night. My bike (2006 EX250) isn't in quite as good shape, it looks like the front fairing is done and I'll need new turn signals + a new windshield too, and that's just the obvious damage. I'd post pictures, but I don't have a decent camera (and I'm at work).

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

How fast were you going? Glad you're alright, sounds like it could have been a bad one.

I honestly don't remember, but based on the scrapes on the ground and on my helmet + the rest of my gear, I'm guessing probably about 15-20mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006

Stugazi posted:

Given you don't remember anything, how do you feel about getting back on a bike?

How long did they keep you in the hospital and where do you live?

I'm already planning on fixing up the damage to the 250 (as it turns out, mostly cosmetic - the upper front fairing and windscreen are trashed, and the forks + handlebars are tweaked, but other then that the bike seems fine) and want to continue riding; I'll probably wait a few weeks until all my replacement gear + parts for the bike arrive and I'm fully recovered. Mostly, I'm sad that I'm missing out on the awesome weather we've been having (Portland, OR).

I actually got out of the hospital within two hours; they gave me a CT scan (no obvious damage), a tetanus shot, and some aspirin, and told me to take it easy for a few days. My neck and throat are a bit sore, so I think I've also got a bit of whiplash, but for the most part, I'm back to normal. What bothers me the most is that I still can't remember the accident, and it seems like I must have made a pretty dumb mistake (that I'd like to avoid repeating).

quote:

Did you have "in case of emergency" info anywhere on your bike/helmet?

I actually carry most of that stuff (medical + auto insurance cards and contact info) in my wallet.

• Locked thread