Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I remember when I was I think 15 my uncle had just bought an absolutely beat to poo poo suzuki dirt bike. This poor thing was so abused we weren't even sure what kinda of dirtbike it was. The only reason we knew it was a Suzuki was because it had S on the far back left of the seat and I on the far right. So you figure new bike take it home check it out and clean it up.

No this is not how we do things in my family. It cranked and ran fairly well so we took it out to our local (abandoned) motocross track and proceeded to murder it. Fairly basic track couple 5-10 ft jumps a rumble strip with the small 1 ft. hills a few berms nothing special.

So after goofing around with this nifty new toy for about 45 mins I decide it would be awesome to get a timed run in. So uncle grabs the stopwatch I start out in front of the truck and my cousins tail me great fun!

The main strip is a 350-400 ft straight-away to a big berm probably 10 feet tall at it's highest point. I'm thrashing this poor little bike in 5th gear Trying to stay in it's very very tiny power-band. I go to bank for this turn and ride the wall and manage to catch a wonderful rut that I've never seen before after 6 years of riding this track, or so I think. The bike pitches side-ways because I was by then turned fairly well into the corner.

I go flying high side over the top of the berm down the opposite side a good 10-15 feet and slam dead into a tree. A very classic cartoon pose with me having 1 leg and 1 arm on either side of the tree with it square between my legs and against my helmet.

I get up and walk away from the wreck albeit very sore and needing to ice the testy's. It turns out the ancient tired had just shreded and the rim had dug deep into the ground tossing me for a loop. After that I refuse to get on a bike that I dont think is well maintained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Had a near miss today. Was cruising along at around 25 mph accelerating to speed limit (45) and I get a creep in a mini van that had run the red light behind me. ( I took a left turn across an intersection and he ran the light going straight 10-15 seconds after it was red. I see the rear end in a top hat coming and prepare to get out of the way to the right. About that time I notice a U-haul taking a right out of a gas station that will be blocking my way over.
At this point I'm between a concrete wall a U-haul and a van blaring mexican tunes that is not even considering slowing down for me. I grabbed a handful of throttle ( way more than was probably necessary) and go to rocket off. Well at 25-30 mph in first gear if you slam the throttle wide open your going to be looking skyward very quickly. I rode the unintended wheelie about 30-50 feet leaned forward and got my nose down. I then dove to the right to get out of the way of this van. This rear end in a top hat passed me (I'm doing 65-70 now) like I was sitting still.

Some people are just nucking futs.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

-Inu- posted:

18 years old nothing. How about 14 year olds on supersports?

My nephews first "street bike" was one of the Buell XB12's (I think that's it?) he got it the day he turned 16. It's fully farkled out, has a custom dyno-tune, pipe, suspension and possibly cams. The kid's been riding since he was 5 though and he's probably one of the fastest riders I know. I really expected him to get hurt when he got the bike.

Imagine my surprise when my uncle wrecked his Buell (same model but belonging to my uncle) and ended up being lifted out by helicopter after pretty much falling off a mountain. I've talked with them both several times since then and one thing is glaringly obvious. My uncle is absolutely insane, while somehow my cousin seems to be a conservative safe rider. This is more evident by the fact that my uncle just broke his coccyx on a dirt bike doing wheelies. My cousin can be heard on a video that was taken telling him to be more careful right before he loops his new KTM.

I think some people are just born to do stupid poo poo, how they make it to 43 with 4 kids and not pass on their insanity is beyond me.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

invision posted:

Well, here's me showing off for the 5-0 today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yElm-CLrE1A

To much throttle on the turn? I had my sound off.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
RainX is good stuff! When your bike is your every day driver sometimes you have to ride in the rain. I'm from Georgia originally and the rain there is insane compared to where I'm at in Cali. I've got lots of experience with riding on wet roads, but everybody around me seems to become instantly retarded. I find rain makes other drivers far more dangerous to my health than the road.

When it rains I have a few extra safety rules I follow.
Double-triple following distance
Tap brakes even when engine braking to show tail lights
Lane split whenever possible

I don't really ride any slower although I do use a lot finer throttle control. I also avoid hard leans if I can.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Had a small get off today on the DRZ while offroading. I was descending from about 3300' and I came up on a really tight hairpin, the road below was actually at 2400'. The turn drops almost 900' and there is actually a monstrous hill climb from the bottom road to the top.

Anyways I was coming up to the hairpin and trying to slow down a bit and just caught a rut. I felt it kick me hard and I knew I couldn't save it so I tried to minimize the damage by locking up the brakes before it lost contact with the rubber. This worked better than I expected and I managed to get it down to 10-15 mph from 25-30 mph before I lost it.

I dove off to avoid getting pinned and to make sure I hit my dominant side. I managed to get into crash position before I hit and I absorbed most of the impact between my bicep and the hard armor on my elbow/shoulder. I have a lot of experience with falling and this one went according to plan. I was up and had the bike switched off in less than 5 seconds after impact. I stood it up, jumped on it and rode down the hairpin until I could find somewhere to pull over. I've seen the guys in pre-runners run through these trails at 40-50 mph and I didn't want to be on the blind side of a hairpin if one of them came up.

I got to the bottom pulled off and gave the bike a good check. No damage except my already cracked mirror was a little more cracked. I'm home now and there's no bruising but I'm sore and I think I tucked my wrist badly when I muscled up for the hit, it's fairly sore but I'm confident there's no permanent damage.

My gear held up well, I was wearing street gear but it's well armored and has an 800+ denier count. My biggest issue was tearing off a small rivet cover on my boot. I REALLY need to get some MX boots, hopefully this little incident convinces my wife to let me spend the cash for them.

I wasn't hurt so I kept riding for awhile. I went to the end of that trail and on my way back I took revenge on that bastard hill by doing the hillclimb, it was fairly intense. I started in 4th and ended in 1st WoT the whole way. I feel so out of practice but it was good to survive my first real offroad ride in about 6 years.

Ride safe fellas (and fellettes?)!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

niethan posted:

It's not black and blue at the bottom of the foot.
I can walk if I use the heel of my left foot. Still hurts though.
Here are some new pics from yesterday, the day after the crash.
http://imgur.com/a/bL32b
I just tried standing only on the toes of my broken foot, with the other one in the air, and it hurt like a motherfucker, so thanks for that bro

Broken feet really suck, make sure you keep it elevated. Heal quick and get back on the bike man.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

niethan posted:

It's already much better today, doc was right it's healing really fast. Also I got some bigass boots so this poo poo doesn't happen again

MX boots are where it's at. They are on top of my gear list atm.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Just noticed I cracked my top clamp on the DRZ, had to have happened when I put it down Sat. It's small but it goes all the way through.

Time to upgrade! http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=handguards&sid=j50lgba3644qcnv6ka9mkqu55fi5ggdo

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Sorry for the double post, a coworker of mine that rides just told me about this.

http://www.ksby.com/news/los-osos-motorcycle-crash-victim-identified/#!prettyPhoto/0/

I knew this guy and I absolutely cannot figure out how he crashed. I ride this road every single day, this is right after the turn onto Turri from the 2 lane main road, Los Osos Valley Rd. There isn't a curve or anything, this guy was a pretty drat good rider too. This has hit close to home for me, Ride safe everyone.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

cheesebot posted:

There's always the possibility of a medical situation, at 59 years old a heart attack or something similar is a possibility.

That's what I was thinking. The road is a monster, but not where he was at. It was one of 3 things: Mechanical failure, rider error or a medical condition. The only rider error I can think of would be breaking the wheel loose and loosing control. The video said the driver watched him just drift off the side before the guard rail.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

M4rg4r1ne posted:

That's been known to happen to at least one perfectly (physically) healthy poster.

This guy wasn't riding a mootercycle though, he could turn. He was capable of almost outrunning me on that road and I literally rode it twice a day or more every day for over two years on different bikes.

I'll be avoiding that road for a bit, they'll be stepping up their enforcement there for sure.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Found out the guy had a case here in court for shooting at some kids with a shotgun. He really wanted them off his lawn maybe?

It wasn't going well for him and it's a possibility the wreck was intentional. I wasn't close with the guy, we just rode the same road every day and had stopped to talk about bikes once or twice. I just hate to lose fellow riders no matter the circumstance.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I always ride sweeper if I'm with other people, especially on a road I don't know. I don't want to be passed and it's not a big deal to slow down and take it easy. If you're riding with other people it should be agree'd that you'll stop at a predetermined spot and regroup. That being said, I hate riding with other people.

Anytime I go down on the street I consider it to be a big deal. In the dirt it's not a biggy to have a small get off. If I want to ride fast on pavement I take it to a track, public roads are to dangerous. My rule of thumb is to ride at no more than 70% of what I feel comfortable with.

I haven't watched your video and I'm not critiquing you Nipples, just stating how I ride in a group and my outlook on riding hard on public roads.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Everyone here is right, see my lovely title? I went with a bike that was bigger than I could handle and I had been riding for many years. Against advice here I got my "dream" bike and it beat me senseless when I disrespected it. I had more fun on my 200cc Honda than I did on my R1. I stepped up to a DRZ recently and at some point I want either a weestrom 1200, a tiger or a BMW GSA. Do it right and you'll have far more fun in a much safer fashion.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Jesus loving Christ today has sucked so bad. I almost got nuked by an SUV this morning and I worked a double today. After I finally got off work I decided to take a nice twisty road and scrub in my new rear tire. I wrecked the R1 with a brand new tire so I decided to take it easy. I was only doing an indicated 27 mph and was just enjoying the night air and the road. I came up a long hill to a switchback and there was a woman in all black walking along a switchback talking on her cellphone. I slowed down as soon as I saw her but as I got closer I saw her 2 dogs off leash both running towards me. I slowed down, but one of them got to me before I was able to stop. I let the brake go and rolled slightly off the road so I didn't hit the dog. I got to a complete stop but I was leaning downhill and pretty much just dropped the bike. I rode it down and set it down as gently as possible before just rolling off.

Seeing this, the chick walking her dogs on a switchback off leash in the dark Calls me an rear end in a top hat and walks off. Never taking the cell off her ear and not leashing her dogs. I picked my bike up and checked it out, it was flooded so I turned it around on the hill and popped the clutch to get the bike started. I turned around at the bottom and as I started back up I heard tires screeching up ahead. I was crawling at around 14 mph because I knew she was up ahead. maybe 1/4 mile up the road an SUZ had run both her dogs over and she was freaking out on the driver.

I hopped off the bike and called the cops at this point. The guy got loud and the chick just sat down and cried pretty quickly. I told the guy what happened to me and he was really upset that she would be so careless. The cops showed up about 45 minutes after I called them and ended up citing her for walking the dogs off leash and me for having a busted tail light.

I'm so pissed and upset, my faith in humanity is so low right now. Those dogs deserved better than that.

This road is a 1 lane road with some of the tightest switchbacks and curves I have ever ridden. People die there all the time and it's just not anywhere someone should ever be walking, much less with dogs off a leash.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

clutchpuck posted:

Your citation is completely bogus. Please take it to court if you can.

I work at the court and to do that they have to call in a visiting judge and it's a really big hassle. It's a fixable ticket and I've already got a new tail-light ordered, I'll probably just pay the $25.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

schreibs posted:

Why didn't you just tell the cop the tail light broke when you went off the road to avoid the dogs that were off leash in the middle of the road?

I was upset and I'm an honest guy, even with the receipt for the new tail light on my phone he didn't care. My tail light lights up, it just doesn't light up when I hit the brake.

@ Bondematt: I honestly don't know. I was pissed after I dropped the DRZ and she saw nothing wrong with what she had done and called me an rear end in a top hat. There was no "Are you ok?" or anything. It seemed like she thought she had the right of way, which she didn't.

I took one of my wifes lorazepam's, I'm going to try and catch some sleep and hope I don't have nightmares. Work starts again in less than 8 hours and it's going to be another really long day I think. I'm still shaking, I love dogs and would have endo'd or wrecked to save them. She didn't care enough to even leash them.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I had my first bike 45 seconds before I rode it straight into a fence... I was 5 though and it was just a 50.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Here let me help. So I picked up my new to me C14 Saturday Jun 8th. The tank was empty so my cousin and I went to gas up our bikes. He was on his mint '07 orange GSXR1k, I was on the Connie. I'm in full gear minus riding pants, he's in sneakers, shorts a t shirt and a helmet (squidly!). So we cruise real slow down to the gas station maybe 7 miles away. When we get there we both stop at the pump. I put my kickstand down and go to step off when the kickstand folds and I drop my bike, right on his gixxer. I felt it going and just rolled away, gently caress being caught under a 650lb+ bike. He walks over and picks it up like it's a toy and puts the kickstand back down for me. I get a really minor rash on the side case and my front tire just caught his rear tire. No real damage done except to my ego. Needless to say, I was a bit upset at having dropped my bike about 10 minutes after first getting on it. We laughed it off though and now I kick the stand before I put weight on it to ensure it's fully deployed.

It's not really a crash, but it's better than loving parking brake talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

nsaP posted:

I dunno, sounds like you'd benefit from a discussion about parking.

If I didn't nearly piss myself laughing over that I might have to slap you...

• Locked thread