Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

If this doesn't convince people to buy full face helmets nothing will. Thank you for posting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Was hoping I could go longer without adding to this thread but I guess not. Decided to take advantage of the nice weather today and took the SV on some twisty roads.

Came around a sharp left hand turn at around 40mph leaned over and was fine then I target fixated on the leaves on the side of the road. Guess where I went...slick leaves at 40mph leaned way over = low side. Damage to the bike was a scrapped frame slider, broken shift peg and a couple scratches on the mirror and handlebar. I was in full 1pc leathers with good boots, gloves and of course a helmet. Scrapped the hell out of my visor and the helmet a bit, roughed up the shoulder of my leathers and the inside of the knee. The suit shifted a bit and tore off a dime sized layer of skin on my knee...will have a bit of a bruise. Overall I'm fine and so is the bike, I just feel like a dumb rear end. Can post pics of damage if anyone is real interested but there really wasn't much.

Left Shoulder

Left Knee

Helmet/Visor are toast

Only damage I received - A bit of swelling and a little sore

Shift Lever

Very minor body work damage

Ugly mirror more scratched

Wonderful frame slider...saved the tank/body/handlebars/etc and possibly me from more damage

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 29, 2009

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well my roommate just had a crash about an hour ago. He had just left for the girlfriends house on the old Yamaha DT250 when the other roommate called me. He made it around the corner and down the hill then the bike died. He pulled over and turned the fuel on and it kicked to life. Started rolling (he guesses 10mph max) made it about 25 feet then a lady in a van turned across his path of travel.

Dented the van a bit. Broke one of the front shocks where it holds the axle, dented the tank, destroyed the hub and broke the front fender. He had full gear on and is ok but shoulder is a bit sore. Broke the plastic air vent stuff off the back of his Arai and scratched it up a bit.

Remember even in your neighborhood going slow poo poo can happen. He made it 4-5 blocks max when this happened. She claimed she didn't see him, they exchanged info and we hauled the bike home.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

More pictures:

Left arm and shoulder of the suit took most of the actual damage. Along with a cat, who insisted on helping

Shoulder stiching came apart, unfortunetly. I can probably get it sewn back together, as the fabric itself seems to be in fine shape.

I'm glad to see the suit held up to this slide. I'll be picking one up next week to replace my old, eversized, leaky two piece textiles.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Symphoric posted:

70+ mph dirt road ... I COULD PROBABLY POSSIBLY MIGHT have been going a little too fast for the conditions...

No chance, it was just your time to crash.

Glad you're ok, dirt and gravel sucks if you slide without gear though picking it out keeps you entertained while you heal.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

K.Y. Jelly Donut posted:

On the ride home I noticed the instep section of my new boots is pretty slick, feels loose on the pegs. Any reason I shouldn't get some skateboard grip tape or just scuff it up or something? Feels a little sketchy to me as it is right now.

This shouldn't be an issue but ideally you do not want to be resting the instep on the peg. Your feet should be further back on the pegs, people usually recommend riding with the ball of your foot on the pegs.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

nsaP posted:

Why?

Personally it is more comfortable. I also feel like I have better more precise control for weighting the pegs. If you ride off-road it helps absorb shocks. Then the usual boot getting stuck thing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Pope Mobile posted:

I do the same thing on my commute. It gets boring at times, and I swerve back and forth a bit. I always laugh at the amount of distance cars give me.

Apparently I do this too often, no one moves anymore when I start swerving. Need to change my commute time slightly I think.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ReelBigLizard posted:

What are the risks with an under-pressure tyre, over heating?

When I picked up a staple in the rear last summer causing a nice slow leak the rear end felt squirmy and unstable. Going around corners it would feel like it was sliding or on gravel. Pretty unsettling feeling.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm short - 5'7" and I tip toe this bike everywhere. Combine that with a slight hill andddd... it rolled backwards enough before I could grab the rear brake and I lost my balance.

Yup fellow short guy, I've done the same a couple times. That or going to put a foot down and finding a pothole or low manhole cover. My big ugly frame sliders are well tested.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'd argue that drum brakes (on a car) are better than discs if you live somewhere that gets snow and salt and poo poo cause that makes your rear calipers seize like every loving year, unlike the mostly protected mechanism of the drum. Some (I wont say all, but I wouldn't be surprised) car brands here recommend that you take apart your rear brakes to clean the guide pins and push the piston in and out a couple of times every year to prevent it from seizing. Four wheel drum brakes was the best thing on my Volvo Duett (until you actually had to service them).

Stop parking with your emergency/parking brake on and watch rear calipers stop freezing up on you. I lived in WI until I was 23, I never had my rear calipers freeze up and have never heard of anyone having that problem unless they are using the e-brake.

drat this reminds me I need to find 323i rear trailing arms for the 320i so I can go to rear disc.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Stugazi posted:

It amazes me when people break bones then just go home and walk around for a while to see if it gets better. I have never broken a bone but I gotta imagine I would need morphine to not be a total rear end in a top hat about the pain.

Adrenaline is one hell of a drug. I've broken a few bones and they hurt but not much until a while ago, then the pain catches up to you.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Godzillas Gorilla posted:

Total distance of my trip to check out my new gear? 10 feet. Total damage? Left side fairing cracked and scuffed up pretty good, busted off my frame slider (which admittedly didn't do poo poo other that be the culprit that actually cracked the fairing when it got wedged up behind it), and scuffed the poo poo out of my stator cover. A couple other scratched parts, but the damage was minimal (clutch lever, bar-end weight, end of the mirror, and the fender and front fairing all had small scuffs on them). I bruised my right thumb (no idea how) and damaged my pride. Thankfully the new gear just got a little dirty.

That's one way to test new gear. Sounds like you need to look at different frame sliders, pretty bad if a low speed drop snapped the thing off.

I've had a similar wreck but my bike did it without me even on it. Warming up in the driveway and run inside to get something I forgot, come back out and the bike has somehow rolled just enough to over-center the kickstand and fall over. The first time it did this was as I was leaving for a 6 hour (round trip) ride and it broke by clutch lever.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MotoMind posted:

If any of you use tegaderm make sure to follow these instructions: http://www.obra.org/wound_care.html

Take special note of the grease line that allows fluid to drain. I got road rash while biking and left the tegaderm fully sealed and it infected the hair follicles.

Ah Tegaderm, I have a love/hate relationship with it from years of dealing with it but that stuff is very useful. I may have made a very large order at the end of the year last year before getting rid of my home healthcare company to use up the rest of my healthcare flex-spending account...that and iodine/alcohol wipes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Yes. So how do you learn to train yourself to do this unthinkingly, without crashing in the process? Is it even possible?

Very possible and the reason schools like cornerspin, texas tornado, etc exist and are awesome. Instead of learning and crashing at high speeds on an expensive bike you learn at 10-15mph on little bikes.

Alternatively I took the supermoto to a big empty gravel lot yesterday and did figure 8's faster and faster until I low-sided. Then I did 'panic' stops, rear brake and power slides and generally played around for a half hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Target_Fixation.gif

I've done similar but it was first time skiing and it was the rope tow shed. I wish someone had it on video.

• Locked thread