Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Well it finally happened to me. :( 5 years of scootering and I never so much as tipped one over in a driveway - and then Wednesday night I did just that. And then Thursday night I wrecked pretty bad.

I don't know what happened. I remember suiting up to ride, and then I remember waking up in the emergency room a couple hours later.

Apparently after the wreck I was awake and moving around. I righted my scooter and even spoke to a police officer (I have his business card, but no ticket, as far as I know). When I called my parents who, thankfully, were in town visiting, I couldn't give them directions - and I was only 3 blocks from my house. When they found me (I told them the intersection, at least), they told me to guide them to my place so they could drop off the stuff/my scooter. I directed them to my old place, I didn't know I had a new one. My mom told me to call my new roommate, whom she had met earlier that day, and I didn't know who he was.

I was in the hospital for a couple hours, but I don't remember most of it. Parts of it I remember as if in a dream. They did a CT scan and it came back clean, so they sent me home.

My injuries: obviously my head took a wallop, I'm sore everywhere. I went down on my left side, so my left shoulder and hip are most sore, and my foot has some road rash:

I normally wear lace-up leather boots, and of course this is the one time I wasn't. I just had sneakers on, and one came off; thus the road rash.

Other than that, my gear all worked splendidly.

HJC CL-15. Worked great, apparently, since I suffered no lasting head injuries. Won't be buying again mostly because I was already looking to upgrade, though I might buy a higher-end HJC.

Dainese Zentex. Worked great, and I'll keep using it. Took just a little bit of damage but definitely saved my hide and my shoulder from more damage.

Alpinestars S-MX 6. The scuffs on the left knuckle and the rashing on the right palm are all that's new, I don't think they spent a lot of time against the ground. Again, I was already looking to upgrade, but these I'll keep as spares.

Levi's jeans, lol. Held up surprisingly well, and I didn't get any appreciable road rash on my legs.

Tretorn sneakers, also lol. Held up well - if only they had stayed on! Never again will I ride without boots.

After thinking about the intersection I was at, where I ended up, and the damage to my gear, I think I highsided making a right turn, probably well below 30mph. I don't think anyone, or anything, else was involved - just me. Really, though, I expect it to remain a mystery. If it hasn't come back to me now it probably never will.

Most of my nervousness about getting back on is just because I don't know what happened. I don't even get to learn from my mistakes!

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

PitViper posted:

Seeing things like that is why I ALWAYS wear a full-face, and make any passenger wear at LEAST my backup full-face. Good to hear you're recovering well, and want to get back riding :)

Seriously. I used to ride with a 1/2, and then a 3/4, before finally riding with a full-face once I got onto a bike that could do more than 37mph. In hindsight I'm awfully loving lucky to have not wrecked for those first four years of scootering.

Periodically I'd wish I had an open-face again, but then I'd remember all the pictures of helmet damage and put it out of mind. And now I've taken one of those pictures myself, and am awfully glad to have saved my face.

Zap, glad you came out of that (mostly) okay!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SaNChEzZ posted:

The spokes on my WR250 are right in the middle of the wheel where they're supposed to be, yet I'm tubeless from the factory I believe.

What end are the adjustments on? On bike wheels you adjust the spoke tension at the rim, making it difficult to seal, but I know on some tubeless spoke setups they put the adjustments at the hub end. This way the rim end can be static and easier to seal.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Pope Mobile posted:

Not me, but a local biker died the other night.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Motorcyclist-killed-in-crash-near-Silverdale-147499095.html

A few things pop into my mind after reading that. He was on a Harley, so there's the cliche thought of "brain bucket or full face?" Either way, sounds like a helmet might not have saved him in this instance.
I'm wondering if he was drinking, considering it was ~2am and he crashed on a straight part of the highway. That or just really fatigued.

drat. I guess it was bound to happen, since we had such great weather in the Puget Sound area this weekend. Probably the first time back out for a lot of riders. Still a loving shame, though. I do wonder if alcohol was involved.

Also: 26yo male, Bremerton, new Harley... possibly Navy? Don't they require training?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm navy in Portland for the moment, and have already been lectured about this guy.

Also, our only requirements are licensed, MSF, insurance, DOT helmet (brain buckets are the most common), supposed to wear a reflective garment at night (reflective belt is enough, or even just piping on a jacket. I wear a construction vest, personally), long sleeve shirt (LS tee is fine), long pants and over the ankle boots.

Anything less, and insurance probably isn't going to pay out.

You say "only" as if any other population has stricter rules

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I just think it's great that the military requires safety gear well beyond the legal minimum and actual training. Especially the training.

Have the various forces seen drops in motorcycle injuries/deaths since implementing these? How long have they been in place?

... and how many people just ignore them and keep their bikes off-base?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Pope Mobile posted:

Way too late for it, but you could've just bought something like a Ninja 250 and resold it for almost what you bought it for.

Glad to hear you're okay, though.

I've known people with big bikes sitting in the garage while they cut their teeth on a small bike. Never too late!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Anarchist posted:

Posting from the ER. Was taking a left corner when a woman coming the other way decided it was time to turn into a gas station. I was going 35-40, i think, i was looking through the turn not at my speedo. I started my emergency braking as soon as i could but there wasnt much room. Torque fractured tib / fib, operation tomorrow to re-set it. They had to cut my smx plus to get it off... Cant imagine what would have happened if i didnt have them on. I think i hit the passenger side door but its all a blur. This was on rt20 in marlborough ma, going around a lake, no idea what shape my bike is in but i can only guess it's pretty much totalled :(

Holy poo poo, man, that is some real-time reporting.

lovely about the leg, I can't imagine how bad that hurts. Is that your only injury? Were you fully geared otherwise?

Get well soon!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Shimrod posted:

Really? You guys can get in trouble because the road is slippery and you slip off? The gently caress? I can understand that if you're speeding or whatever and generally acting like a dong then lost it, but if you, for example, slipped in the rain on a white line, etc. you shouldn't get ticketed for that.

I don't know if there's one that specific, but WA has a "speed too fast to avoid collisions/too fast for conditions" ticket that they can basically write for anything. WA is an at-fault state, so someone has to get a ticket for an accident.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Does this apply for the whole state? Or just motorcycles? Back in May 2009 I rear-ended someone (car on car) and I had just moved to the state so I naturally called the cops when it happened and they said just exchange insurance information and you're good to go. :confused:

I may be mistaken, actually. I'm having a hard time finding an answer through Googling right now since there are so many bullshit insurance-related websites out there, but I did find a reference to WA no longer having automatic determination of fault. But I'm not even sure how insurance fault/no-fault relates to tickets.

It's always been my understanding that someone is supposed to get a ticket for an accident in WA, but maybe it's just something they do 99% of the time anyway.

I didn't get a ticket when I crashed my scooter - apparently I told the officer a moth flew in my helmet, and he said he felt bad for me (I don't remember anything from that night) - but when I got one for a car accident the responding officer implied that fault must be assigned.

Maybe I need to go find a police ask/tell :ohdear:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

front wing flexing posted:

Going to a walk-in clinic will not cost you thousands of dollars. And just because you don't want to go and just because you don't want to spend the money doesn't make the dude that's trying to help you an rear end in a top hat. You're an rear end in a top hat, there are more tactful ways of listening to someone's (very much correct) advice and doing your own thing.

Head trauma is very serious. I'm sure you're fine and don't need to spend the money. I just had a motorcycle accident and although I declined EMT and emergency care, I went to my primary care doctor. At the same time, I din't hit my head at all.

As an aside, anyone that doesn't have medical insurance or can't afford to actually use their medical insurance should not be riding motorcycles. I know that can kind of come off a little dickish but it's the could hard truth.

In my accident a few years ago I did hit my head and declined EMT care on the scene, spoke to the responding officer and people who came out to help and sounded completely lucid... and then once they all left I called my parents and couldn't tell them where I was (4 blocks from my apartment), how to get to me, or what really happened. And when they found me (made me read street signs to tell them where I was) my mom asked me for my ABCs - I checked my pockets and told her I couldn't find them. And I don't remember any of this!

They took me to the ER where they scanned my head and I was ultimately fine, but head injuries are not a trifling matter.

SlightlyMadman do what you want to do but this isn't "oh I wonder if I have the flu" or "oh my toe might be broken." This is your brain.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Strife posted:

It's just a little Sportster 1200, so it's really not that heavy. I'll take a picture of it when the sun comes up.

Yeah, maybe, but it has insurance, so what difference does it make? Either repairing it costs less than $500 (which it does, I scratched the clutch lever, it's not the end of the world), or it costs more than $500, in which case it costs only $500, because it's insured. poo poo happens.

A Sportster 1200 is at least 100 pounds heavier than most other motorcycles, so, yeah

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Crashes are all so different that it's impossible to say "This helmet hit this thing at X speed, therefore this other helmet should've hit this other thing at Y speed and been intact!"

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

An observer posted:

A lot of professional racers seem to wear Arai. I know what I'm getting for my next helmet...

A lot of pro racers wear Shark, too. And Scorpion, Nolan, Shoei, AGV, Bell...

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Crash Test... 5 of my friends.

Today a group of scooterists are riding out to a campground for the night, as part of the Monkey Run XV rally. I was not with them today, but around 1pm I got a call from a friend who's club was running this rally that some people crashed, there are injuries, and asking if can I come over to bring some tools and parts and help get the bikes to storage.

The reason for the carnage? The City of Seattle, after responding to a car fire earlier today, neglected to clean up a long, roughly lane-wide, oil streak. Nobody I talked to (mostly not the crashers) had the whole story, but I think at least two riders crashed independently because of the oil, while the other 3 were some combination of crashing on their own or hitting a downed bike.

They say there was enough oil on the road that it was difficult-to-impossible to walk on. According to people that lived nearby, there had been a few minor accidents/incidents there in the preceding hour.

The current human damage tally is one guy with a fractured ankle, one guy with a torn ligament in his shoulder, plus various scrapes and bruises. The current bike damage tally was 2 broken clutch levers, a broken headlight and mirror, assorted road rash, and one beautiful restored old Lambretta with significant body damage. Me and another friend rode the scooters of the two injured riders a couple miles to storage and concluded they would both need to be trucked to a shop for a serious looking-over. So the tally may increase as people's adrenaline wears off and the bikes make it to mechanics...

By the time I got there they had that stretch of road blocked and were actually starting to clean it up.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

invision posted:

"If you can read this then I just want you to know that those were $4000 dollar custom tailored Dainese leathers you just cut with your stupid scissors, rear end in a top hat. Shoulda just let me die. Ugh."

Whatever, insurance will cover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

ArbitraryTA posted:

So, I was riding a scooter around (in my defense I had no other options) and wasn't used to the generally bad turn radius and smaller wheel of a 150cc Fiaggio or whatever the hell it was scooter.

Bad turn radius? On a scooter? What?

• Locked thread