Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Went riding today and ended up dumping the bike. I came onto a straight and opened the throttle, noticing the stop sign halfway down too late. With 120ish feet to go, I DID see the car turning onto the road from the stop. I emergency braked as hard as I could, but 10 feet from the car I was still going too fast and braked harder. The rear locked up and I went down 6 inches from the rear of the car. Left side of the bike took all the damage. If I hadn't fixated on the car I might have been able to find more stopping room.

My knee hit first, followed by the front of my helmet, then I rolled a bit. Bike stayed put. Speed when I went down was under ten, I believe. After laying there for a second adrenaline kicked in and I got up to walk towards the now stopped car I almost hit. Many profuse apologies were said by myself, and they said they never even saw me. Fortunately, I never hit them, though I think I was thrown onto their bumper for a second. It's such a good thing I didn't ruin their day with my overreaching my skills.

The frame sliders saved most of the bike, but I still have a list of things to repair. After sitting on the side of the road for 35 minutes, I resolved to just remove the shifter rearsets that were to bent to use and just start the bike moving down a hill in neutral before shifting into first. I rode home in first, never stopping, very creatively.

I'm still a little in shock, and resigned to whatever it's going to cost me to get back running. My knee is killing me, but I don't think it's broken. Advil, ice packs, and beer are helping. If I hadn't had full gear, I'd likely have broken toes, broken knee, and no face. I'll think twice before riding like that again. It's embarrassing and I hate that I bothered people with all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Appreciate that. I agree, could be much worse. I have the SV with the 06 GSXR front brakes/shocks. It's much more bike than my skill level. The front never had problems. I locked the rear, but in retrospect I could have gone much harder on the front. Sucks. Fortunately I have a front lever I bought but didn't get around to putting on. The left rearset is toast because that lever is bent so far, and I guess I'll just hunt down another.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's awful Stugazi. I'm really sorry you have to be so familiar with that.

After that my crash and requests seem so pedestrian. For some reason I really want to get back out on the bike and am trying to bite the bullet on online parts and gear replacements today. All of your feedback and observation made me feel a lot less bad about my drop. It could have easily been much worse. Practice is needed for sure, though.

Looking at my clutch lever, does it look like a normal stock sv lever? Where can I find a REALLY cheap replacement that looks the same as that one? I have some of those china spiffy shorty levers, but I don't like how they look and don't really want to use them. Plus, my brake lever is part of some special tien mechanism and I don't think stock levers fit it. Before the crash I was thinking of stocking out that lever.

I need that front silver ring that goes on the stock headlamp bucket. What is that called? I really like that OSRAM projector HID and am glad it was spared.

My rearsets are silver CFMotorsports Woodcraft and the lever and peg on the left side are bent. I can't see that they sell parts piecemeal for these. Furthermore, it looks like I can only get them in L/R pairs. Anywhere I can get a good price on just the shifter side?

My bar end mirror and bar end on the left side is toast. That's not such a bad thing as I wanted to replace them. What's a good black bar end weight? Will any one do? On the mirror side of things, I'd really like to run Tuono mirrors for a narrower profile. Problem is those screw into things on fairings. What's a good thing that I can put on my handlebars to screw those into?

My tank has a dent in it, but replacements online are 250+, so I'm going to hold off and wait for a cheaper one. My tail handle is rashed up from when the bike was...upside down?! All I know is it kept my tail plastics from taking damage so it did a good thing. Those look like they are 40+, and I don't know if I should wait on that or not.

My frame slider is still serviceable. Should I replace it? I hear there are bad ones. What is a good one? I'm very impressed with how well it saved my frame and engine parts.

A fall like mine wouldn't mess up the rear suspension/swingarm, wheel, etc right? I don't see any scuffs anywhere back there on those parts, and riding home in first I didn't feel any oddness. The chain didn't come off which I would expect if I bent something back there.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It is really nice of you to dig up all of those parts blackmk4. You've been a massive help I can't even believe it. Thank you for laying it all out like that. I didn't even know that was all available.

So I've horribly procrastinated these past two weeks on ordering parts, partly from family mostly just from me. My bike finally looks enticing to me again and it really shouldn't sit so long so I'm buying the stuff now. Woodcraft stuff has to wait til i can call them tomorrow. My shift rod is bent and while I can use the shorter stock rod i have with the screw on extender for my riser plates, I'd rather just have whatever longer rod they recommend.

On those frame sliders, the woodcraft ones look way lower profile than what i have. Much better. Am I seeing things? Will it protect all the exposed stuff on my sv as well if it doesn't stick out so far?

I keep trying to get a shot of what I'm talking about with the suspension but it never looks the same in pictures as it does to my eye. I feel like when i look at the bike from the rear, the shock should be dead center, but mine is to the left a bit.

This picture actually makes everything look much worse than it is, but other than perspective and the uneven wear the wheel always had, it looks ok but for the shock in the back. I can't find any scratches on the rear parts or swingarm other than the nut holding the wheel on is gouged so it took a hit there. Not gouged badly though. I missed it on prior inspection.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is a huge relief. I wasn't sure if it was "take it straight to a shop" messed up or what you guys said. A buddy of mine races SV's but lives kinda far. I'll have them give it an in person look and ride.

That tire is SHOT. Or it may have some miles left on it but I've resolved to get it replaced right after the bike is up and running again. When I bought it it looked better and coredump said he thought it had at least a year left on it. It was flatted a bit then, but it wasn't flatted at an angle like that. The flatting has gotten much worse in the last month or two. Maybe my choppy downshifts, copious launches, and poor cornering caused extreme wear? It's gotten past the point where I'm comfortable with it. I'm glad to hear it def needs to go.

Thing is, it didn't look THAT bad before the accident. It looked like a normal tire. Flatted but I chalked it up to normal wear on commutes. The spots you are seeing isn't cord but a shiny bit that goes the whole way around. This was dull before the wreck so I'm thinking its from the hard stop I did. Maybe I had it moving slightly before lock for a long way and just glazed it all the way around?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Don't be discouraged razzled. Everyone makes questionable financial decisions against all advisory at many points in their life. Especially when they are young. Really, I don't think your choice was so bad. If it was a bike with a fairing you just destroyed or chrome that is dented and scratched, yeah buying new and wrecking it right after is laugh worthy. But you bought a sumo so whatever. In a year you'll have more scuffs and experiences and noone would look twice. Aren't dirtbike plastics super cheap/meant to be plastidipped anyway? You have a sweet bike set up like you want with a new engine that you know the history of. That's a huge factor in buying something new, and you still have that. If you neglect the engine or mechanics of the bike, then you are a moron for buying new.

And take it easy. It really takes a while of practice and normal riding to build up riding ability. Be patient, it comes on slower than you'd like. I'm glad you are ok and had gear on.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm sorry to see that. I'm glad you are ok and got off with a surprisingly low amount of damage all around. What frame sliders do you have? Any idea how fast you were going when you went down?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Back wheel stayed on the ground. Not razzled accurate.

I never go without all of my gear. Even WITH all of my gear I got pretty messed up when I went down at low speed.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, two nights ago I totaled (I hope) the SV. As I was riding home on the highway, keeping up with traffic at maybe 70+ish, a huge chunk of truck tire got flung up under my front wheel, messing up my cruising mojo.

I was focused completely at that moment on my front headlight's pool of daylight, and I didn't see ANYTHING. For this reason, I think another car ran over it and flung it up under somehow. All I know is one minute I'm quietly cruising home, and then it feels like I just hit a 2ft high cement wall at highway speeds. Huge boom, bike lifts into the air angled forwards for a moment, then comes back down hard. From there, it went into an immediate and extreme death wobble. It was really really harsh and got exponentially worse over the next two seconds before the bike dumped.

I went down at 70+, though I didn't look at the speedo directly after it happened because I was distracted. I never blacked out or anything, so I remember all of it. I was toppling for quite a while, and my sharpest memory is of hearing the bike topple and skitter just behind me. I truly expected it to come down on me at any second. It missed me, and slid about 30 feet further than I. The car that pulled over to check on me would have run me over, if i hadn't seen them coming and moved my legs.

Otherwise, once I stopped I didn't get up until well after the emt/police got there. I was in such shock that it had actually happened, and just didn't feel like getting up. Fortunately I stopped in a gore, so was safe. The people who stopped spoke with 911, in between scolding me for swearing and telling me they only stopped because they had read some scripture or some poo poo.

Right after I stopped, while I refused to move, I did use the adrenaline to check all of my joints and take stock of what hurt and what didn't. I'm glad I did, because after the swelling started I couldn't move many things.

After turning down an ambulance,I had a friend take me to the ER, then spent a regretful 11 hours getting slowly processed through. I kept trying to just leave and they kept convincing me that it would only be a little longer. My gear is trashed. Even the really robust dianese shoes are toast. My a* jacket is still in decent shape, which speaks volumes to build quality. Everywhere that jacket covered, I took next to no damage. The forearm took a huge hit, right where the armor was, and I'm not even sore there. Fortunately, I picked up a new pair of gauntlet armored summer gloves this past sunday. My prior gloves were built, and wouldn't have done anything for me. The sedici pants shredded on my lower legs on both sides there towards the end of the tumble.

So the upshot is the bones in my foot and left hand were all taken just under the "all of the bones are pulverized" threshold, but not broken. I have massive swelling and discoloration on the whole hand/foot/joints. Heavy and deep bone and tissue bruising pretty much everywhere. My right clavicle is broken. My lower legs have huge road rash on the outer back of them. This is perhaps the most painful part. My whole body is made of pain, though.

That said, the doctors couldn't believe how unharmed I was. They gave me some really good pain meds and instruction to rest and ice things. All while being puzzled and looking at the xrays again. ATGATT, BITCH.

But yeah I'd be dead without my helmet and full gear.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for your well wishes and concern. I really appreciate it. I know I read somewhere here on what you could do to lessen or stop a wobble, but this was so extreme I completely forgot. Since I was just riding along like normal, then a huge boom and bucking bronco, I was surprised and ineffective at reacting on more than instinct. Until I was tumbling for a bit, I couldn't grasp that it was actually happening.

I spent about 9 hours in the hospital before even getting any pain meds. Until they removed my pants later, I thought I just had some really bad fabric burn. I knew I was bleeding, because the pants were sticky, but at that point everything hurt so much I couldn't focus on more than my foot and hand, which hurt so much I thought I broke a ton of small bones. My fingers felt cold and stunned for about two hours after, but I forced myself to move them right after the crash, and they weren't broken.

At any rate, the doctors didn't do anything for my huge scrapes but look at them and utter surprise and awe. They didn't clean them or put anything on them. I showered when I got home, almost passed out from the pain, but managed to clean them with a soapy scrubbing thing. Today, I put a bunch of neosporin on both sides and wrapped in gauze. It seems very surface, but extreme.

Definitely get riding pant's, too. Get everything. These sedici pants were designed to be abrasion resistant and they still gave up the ghost near the end. The butt of the pants is almost entirely ripped way in spots, which matches some very deep bruises I got there.

I could never understand people who wore no gear, or a helmet and no gear. Flip flops, shorts, and a tank top?! I just don't get it. I walked away from this pretty unscathed, all things considered.

Razzled- Thanks man! I was on i20, headed west, just before the capital blvd exit. I wasn't even hooning or anything bad. Be careful out there!

Coydog fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 11, 2014

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Grady. Never again. Grady after 9pm, doubly never again. What a zoo.

VVVVVVV Yeah, and they didn't catch on that I needed a wheelchair until halfway through the night. I think I had to request one. And my phone died in the first hour, so I had no distraction whatsoever. It wasn't a fun experience at all. Being made to sit down, then stand up, over and over again was pretty bad.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 11, 2014

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I really appreciate all of the concern and well wishes. So very sorry to see I'm not alone in bike injury recently. It's been a pretty tough two weeks, even outside of the injuries and loss of the bike. It feels pretty good to be out of the worst of it.

Scrapes are getting healed, but my shoulder/bruises/foot/ankle still hurt quite a bit. At least I'm mobile. Here is what the bike looked like right after the wreck. Makes me sick to look at. I really loved that bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You joke, but the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the bike was "dammit, the frame is still perfect looking because of those sliders. They better total this.". There wasn't a scratch. The motosliders didn't even warp. Also, my previous worry that they would grab the pavement and cause the bike to flip was kind of a moot point.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's definitely totaled. I'm waiting to hear back from the insurance company. Thing is, given the year, I'm afraid I'm going to get an undervalue and fight it. Even at what it's worth, I'll likely not be able to get another until bike prices drop. But that is something I'll bring up in "what bike should I buy?" when I find out how much money I'm dealing with. Plus, I have to buy more gear. :(

No, I wasn't overiding my headlight. I was going the same speed as other cars, not hooning, and was completely COMPLETELY focused on my front headlight before the crash. This isn't a situation of me running over debris that I just didn't have time to react to. I literally never saw it. I have no idea where it came from, how big it was, or anything. Just eyewitness reports, and even they didn't see where it came from. Everyone's best guess is that it was kicked up sideways from another car, and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. There were a lot of cars on the highway at the time, and plenty to the left of me.

In other news, I really wish the bruised bone on my ankle and achilles would stop hurting. It's excruciating. Plus my shoulder isn't in great shape. At least the scrapes are closed up.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HotCanadianChick posted:

Shouldn't your insurance pay for your gear? Most decent bike insurance pays out for gear in a crash - paying out a grand for new gear is cheaper than paying out for the extra medical bills that result from not wearing gear.

You'd think, but no. I hate it. Makes no sense. My ins (liberty mutual) doesn't pay out medical for "under four wheels" either. I really need to find someone else, but from what I've seen all the ins options are pretty similar.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'll look into those after this incident is resolved. I haven't been happy with my insurance for a while.

Getting lectured by every fool that hears of my accident got old a week ago. There was nothing I could do. How bout you take your judgement and "WELL I GUESS THAT'S IT FOR YOU AND BIKES THEN HUH? LEARNED YOUR LESSON AHAHAHHA" and shove it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

I definitely had a sharp inhale while recoiling in horror while reading that. I've gotten bitten in the shins hard by a kickstart, but never imagined that could happen. At least your bike is still intact! That's an upside!

Now go buy that electric start so you can get back to riding while you are healing. At least it wasn't the shifting foot.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm really sorry to see you in such a state, HCC. That's one of those "my parents were right all along!" accidents I hope to never experience. At least you will still have all of your mobility and be back to riding after you heal up.

On the upside, you will now be able to deflect bullets with your wrist like wonder woman! Just think of it!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HotCanadianChick posted:

See the shininess that grows from my flesh and know that HE has looked at me!

I am destined for Valhalla, where all is shiny and chrome!

Can I get a witness

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm really sorry to see that pretty bike get all torn up, but am glad you are ok. You are very fortunate. I know the type of crash you had firsthand, and definitely know the feeling of "Wait...I'm crashing?! I wasn't even doing anything!".

Hopefully the insurance company is good to you, at least.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Make a donation to a shelter instead. If a dog isn't kept safely, gently caress those people for not properly taking care of their pets that led to it getting killed, and the last thing they need is someone encouraging that sort of behavior by reducing the financial burden.

Unless of course you were on a red bike doing a wheelie on a footpath.

This entirely. It's not your fault or on your conscience that a loose animal acted upon you and caused you to hit it. You were where you were supposed to be, and the dog was not. Things like this are why outdoor dogs and cats have such a drastically shorter lifespan than those kept under care. It's tragic that people are so negligent.

That said, if it makes you feel better, then it's worth the money. I know I'd feel pretty bad about it, too. Glad you came out of it ok.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Spiffness posted:

(If you can eat it in one sitting, hit the fucker)

I've always loved this metric.

Just raise the front wheel up and out of the way of the obstacle, as appropriate.

Also, ya'll are being mean to Verge again.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Looks like you have your work cut out for you Chiche!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Late to the game on this, but I'm really glad you are ok and not going to have to pay all of that, Inu. You've alerted me to the need for having enough coverage if I ever hit the track...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's a special riding technique called the mootmoot. Shedding parts of your bike through extreme lateral integration with nearby surfaces helps create weight savings and thus makes you faster.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully you get compensated properly, though that won't replace such a special bike to you.

Most important thing is that you are ok and were wearing gear. You can buy a lot of bike for the damage you just spared yourself.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Renaissance Robot posted:

Do they even make a bike that costs as much as Inu's hospital bill? That's isn't a garage queen custom or a Britten, I mean.

EBR.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shadowlz posted:

I lowsided in my neighborhood in front of a bus stop full of middle schoolers who all laughed at me.

The WORST kind of crash. Wear a face covering helmet and not only save a life. Save an ego.

Beach, that's what first bikes are for. The damage doesn't look bad, and this won't be your first. There is nothing else I can say that wouldn't just mirror all the posts up above.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Pickup procedure on a 300lb EX250 - That video, backing up using body to lever the bike upwards.

Pickup procedure on a 300lb Supermoto- Bend over, pick up bike like a bicycle.

The difference is a mystery.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is so much damage. Wow. I'm really sorry to hear that that happened, and hope that it isn't too frustrating for you. I hope you both get a speeding recovery.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm really impressed with your gear for saving you from all that. Glad you made it out mostly unscathed!

Live to ride another day.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I always thought it was an urban myth that bikers drank and rode. Like the buddy of a buddy who this one time did it. Recently, it's occurred to me that drinking and riding is super common, and the focus of the riding experience for a large number of people. That these same people also shun gear is just icing on the cake.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's terrifying, and I feel like it messes you up on all levels, especially since you need your balance and reflexes and non tunnel vision a lot on a bike. Maybe if you did it all the time you'd be used to it, but hard pass for me. Even when I'm starting to get sick, but still have to run errands, I find that I'm significantly hindered in my riding safely.

One of the only reasons I still have a car is so I can go out on the weekends and safely get home. Just leaving a loud club leaves you dazed, even if you are sober (I am).

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Everybody stop arguing the perfect riding boots already exist in the forma adventure low boots. Full protection, all day walking comfort, looks classy and sharp for most occasions, cheap, and no laces (laces on moto boots can go to hell).

Slavvy posted:

We've been over this, ignore is for the weak.

Agreed. I don't even have PCOS Bill on ignore, and he is a total oval office. Plus, I kinda just like everybody just a little bit.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Of course they are. What do you think this is, Bilt? (Seriously, on an all day ride of cold rain where even my frog toggs and waterproof gloves did nothing, my feet remained warm and dry.)

nsaP posted:

It's to spare you all 40 posts in a thread like this where we just go back and forth
And the surprised disappointment when it's not a lightly crashed f4i generating all of these posts.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Look, I'm not talking classy and sharp like 5 star restaurant, or business attire, but with the right outfit they look incredible and not out of place at all.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Real question, how comfortable are the Formas for actual walking in? Like how far would you be comfortable attempting?

Real answer, I've hiked all day in them, I've gone to festivals and worn them the whole time, they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I did an 11 hour ride on the ex250, then immediately after danced 8 hours at the club in them, with zero discomfort the next day. My feet weren't even sore. Get a pair of these forMa advenTure loW bOots (did I do that right tHefonZe?).

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

How much molly did it take to accomplish that?
:classiclol:
Ironically, I was almost completely sober all night. Natural endorphin are a hell of a drug.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Congratulations, you've just learned not to target fixate! Next time, commit to the corner. Unless you leaned so far into the corner that you actually lowsided, in which case... wow.

If it's a ninja 300, you are probably fine. Replace that broken stuff, loosen and realign the forks, and get back out there. I'm glad you are ok.

Replace your helmet. :(

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It worked for me, and my learning experience was far more costly and painful than yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cage Kicker posted:

only about 2 months into riding. I rode the ZX-14 into work and was parking next to my co-worker.

Ninja edit: I regret missing the last MSC course of the year when I got my permit.

"Eh, that's probably too much bike for someone with ten times as long riding as you."

MomJeans420 posted:

I've never actually looked up the specs for the ZX-14, but it does a 9 second quarter mile, with 208 hp and 113 ft-lb of torque. That's slightly over double the torque of a Daytona 675, riding a ZX-14 sounds terrifying.

:allbuttons:

Why would you buy this?! What kind of an insane deal do you think you got that would entice you to open pandoras box like this? Why don't you think the shadow has enough power for the highway?

The sad thing is that cage kicker is like.. 80% of the motorcycling population. :( I'm glad he has purchased a motorcycle that he can "grow in to".

• Locked thread