Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

basx posted:

Locked up my rear brake for the first time while going home yesterday. Thank god for the MSF training. My thought process went something like this:

La la la la pretty day.
Oh poo poo, cars in front of me are stopped. Brake hard!
Back end sliding around, this feels weird.
That guy at the MSF said to just ride it out when you lock the rear brake. Guess I'll try that.
Hey cool, I'm still alive.

So yeah, as weird as it feels when that rear tire is sliding all over the place, it's okay to just ride out a rear slide, the bike WANTS to go straight.

Of course, paying attention to the poo poo happening in front of you is preferable. :)

Something similar happened to me. Like an idiot, I tried to speed up and get thru a yellow only to have the light past that was red. This was at a very fast and busy intersection in Florida. Cars in front of me got on their brakes, I used my rear brake waaay to much (which I typically rarely use in the first place) and my rear tire locked up. My rear tire started weaving around behind me, I got it straightened out and let off the brakes and went on my merry way.

I was extremely pissed with myself for the rest of the day when I started to think about what could of happened. If I would of let off my rear-brake when my tire wasn't inline and I could've high-sided into oncoming 50mph traffic.

12,000 miles of riding in 6 months and that was the only close call I had. Goes to show you what a fleeting moment inattention/stupidity can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Safety Dance posted:

Sorry for the lovely cellphone camera pic:

That's me, alone in the woods, with a spiral fracture on my left tibia and a regular-style fracture on my left fibula.

Stupid mistake number 1: Riding like a dong alone in the woods

Stupid mistake number 2: Wearing hiking boots "in case I had to push the bike out of any mud." I don't know for certain if my A* boots would have protected my leg bones any better, but it's possible.

Stupid mistake number 3: Not calling 911. I called my girlfriend who, being a trooper, drove down to where I was riding (10 minutes from my house) and hiked out to get me (an additional 10 minutes). She overheated herself and twisted her ankle in the process, and then called 911 for me.

While the paramedics were coming (my girlfriend hiked back to the trailhead to lead them to me) some guys on ATVs found me. They were friendly and stayed with me until the paramedics got over to me, told us the quickest way out of the woods, pushed my bike out, and let me ride one of their ATVs (very slowly, sidesaddle, with my foot flopping all over the place) out of the woods.

I spent two nights in the hospital, and I'll have to stay off of this leg for about six weeks.

Scary stuff dude. Do you remember what happened with the wreck that cause you to break your leg? Heal up quick!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

invision posted:

I've rode through rain that had 18 wheelers pulled over on the side of the road, but holy poo poo does the thought of hitting ice scare me.

Yep. I have zero problems about riding in cold, wet or nasty. However, I won't gently caress around with icy roads.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Holy poo poo that sucks. What are you doing for transportation in the meantime?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*Ignore me.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 2, 2012

• Locked thread