Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Is it a rear disk or drum? If it's a drum, it could just need some rust to be cleaned off of the cam that pushes the shoes into the drum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Just 'cos it's a cruiser, doesn't mean you can't use your front brake. :v:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Nilbog Resident posted:

i had to pull off to an underpass; started fishtailing, but i eased up off the brakes and just pulsed once or twice after i regained control, and coasted to a stop on the shoulder. phew.

This. Fishtailing is pretty indicative of locking the rear brake. If you were fishtailing because you were nearing lockup on the front wheel, and were lifting the back end off the ground, well, props to you, but I highly doubt that was the case. Using your front brake to a greater extent than your rear, especially at highway speeds, would have allowed you to slow down while still retaining control.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

You definitely don't want to have that sort of split at highway speeds. I mean, even leaving aside the braking force distribution question, back brakes are harder to modulate to the fine degree that is often necessary in low traction situations, which is just one more reason to primarily use your front brake.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Did they even sell new for that much? :wtc:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Jesus christ. Are you going to be paying his hospital bill off until you're his age? :smithicide:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Decided that I needed to even out the damage on my DR650 today, so I lowsided it at ~75km/h on wet asphalt. I kind of forgot just how little traction freshly rained on roads have, especially when you're riding on dual sport tires. The upside is, I only managed to snap off a rear indicator, and the ball from my clutch lever, in addition to a bit of a misalignment of the front wheel. It was cockeyed the other direction before the crash (yeah, from a previous one), but unfortunately the two didn't quite even themselves out. Ah well, I'll probably just have to yard on the steering to try to straighten it out again.

As far as I go, well, I managed to push away from the bike while sliding, and to roll around a bit on my back so I didn't wear through any particular part of my gear. This did have the net effect of completely soaking me to the bone, but it's better than the alternative. My jacket - some lovely Vega mesh - survived with just a bit of wear through the outer layer. My Alter ego pants are still unscathed :iiam: as was my helmet. My boots (some nice leather hiking boots, because I'm too retarded to buy actual waterproof riding boots) seem to have laughed off any attempt by the road to wear through them. My nice shiny new North Face backpack (and dry bag :cry: ) suffered a few wear spots, but the laptop I had inside went undamaged as well. I've got a bit of a sore shin, but nothing too shabby, considering the bike landed on top of me.

Maybe I should put the bike away for the winter.

:smithicide:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, I know, I'm kind of :downs: in that regard. I crashed a few years back when I had a GS500 with the same boots (different pair, but same make), and I ended up with a pretty gimpy, sprained ankle. I think, if for no other reason, I need to pick some up that will keep my loving feet dry.

It's awesome how the only person that stopped to check if I was alright was the lady that I almost ended up t-boning. Stupid blind junctions and me outdriving the conditions. :downsgun:

Also, thanks for the advice, Z3n, I'll give that a go. It's for poo poo like this that I kind of wish I had a center stand.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Z3n posted:

You can just toss a car jack under there, just put the bike on the sidestand and run the jack up until it just barely starts to lift the front forks.

How have you been, by the way? Busy with new job and such?

Cool, I'll see what I can do. I haven't been super busy for the last month, as I'm just sitting around waiting for the next course to start. Monday morning I start on my next phase of training, though, which will eat up the rest of my fall and winter (as well as a lot of weekends).

The city I'm living in has really, really terrible shops for bikes and gear, which is how I ended up with a mesh jacket that kinda fits, and a spare helmet that I don't wear anymore.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

But... I ride a dual sport and don't want to own two pairs of riding boots. :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Well, if I'm honest, I'd probably see the most use out of regular riding boots. I don't do too much crazy offroading with the DR - mostly ATV and snowmobile trails, which aren't too spectacularly dangerous. I just need to hope the only shop in town that actually carries gear has a pair with goretex, or start buying some goretex socks.

• Locked thread