Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

Well grabbed wreck numero dos today, got t-boned by someone turning left. I had a feeling something would happen too because there was a car turing left in the same direction that I was going and blocking the view of anyone turning left going the other way so I slowed down just in case and she went square into me anyway. Bike needs a new lower fender, right-side mirror and peanut cover (which meant I got to push it about 8 blocks to my apartment).

Oh and I'm fine except a bruise on my back although I do need a new helmet obviously.

Everything should work out, someone called 911 so the cops showed up and I got a report this time, though I would have been fine with like $600 in cash from her.

She's hosed though, no valid license so her car got impounded and her bumper got ripped off almost completely by my footpeg.

loving intersections.

drat dude, glad you're alright.

Does she have insurance? You'll probably end up collecting the full value of the bike if she does, as they total it. Then you can buy it back as a salvage title, fix it up on the cheap, and pocket the extra cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

I honestly don't see how it would be totaled, the damage to it is pretty minimal.

Any scratches to any fairings? If so...replacement. Side cover, fender, and mirror + labor and any fairings that got scratched will total an easy 2k.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

redscare posted:

Well I don't have any lower fairings and all the other ones were already hosed to some degree or another anyway. Only the front fender got busted up in the wreck. I guess I could be all sketchy about it and try to profit but I'd rather just minimize the amount of hassle I have to go through.

I'm not saying that you should be all sketchy about it in the slightest. I hate people who ambulance chase...but the fact of the matter is, if an adjuster looks at your bike, it's going be totaled. There pretty much have to be new scratches on the upper and tail fairing, and you also need to get them to pay for gear replacement. You're going to have to go through the hassle anyways, so you may as well get money for the stuff that should be replaced.

Remember...you're not taking the money out of her pocket here or anything, if it's going through insurance, it's their job to pay you out the appropriate amount for damages. In this case, with a BB value of roughly 2k? on your bike, it's a distinct possibility you could end up with the value of your bike + gear costs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Lowsided the bike at about 30mph when I mis-judged a corner. Was wearing full gear, came out of it without and damage to myself, and the bike is fine. I was VERY lucky, and missed the guardrail by about 10 feet, sliding instead into a wonderfully soft and muddy ditch.

http://vagrantbiker.blogspot.com/2009/05/lowside.html

First of all, glad you're ok.

Second of all: If you don't have it yet, pick up a copy of sport riding techniques or proficient motorcyling and read it over. You're going to modify some of the stuff in SRT given that you're on a cruiser, but the advice on lines, etc. is very good for a basic understanding of what's good and what's bad in cornering. Turning in early for a corner is very, very bad. So's getting off the gas, but I think you've already figured that one out :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coredump posted:

You know how you can tell a car about is about to do something dumb before it happens due to the body language the car gives off in the lane? Don't wait for something stupid to happen, get on the horn right then. I'm tooting all the time as I approach intersections and other dangerous places if I think a car is about to move into my lane. I may be wrong a lot but it snaps drivers out of their day dreams and makes them pay attention to me, which is what I want.

Loud horns save lives! :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sectoidman posted:

gently caress.

I just got backed into by a fedex van that had missed its turn near the end of my neighborhood. I came to a stop about a car length and a half behind them after they had stopped, and then they threw it into reverse and slammed on the gas. I exchaged insurance information with the driver, and after he left my neighbor came out and told me he saw the whole thing.

As for the damage, from what I can tell the whole front fender is completely trashed, and the wheel may be bent. My saddlebags are also rashed where the bike fell on them, and my gear is in more or less the same shape.

I'd take pictures, but I lent my camera to a friend for the weekend, so I'll have take some once I get the camera back.

I know I probably won't be able to do anything until monday, but what is the common procedure for this sort of thing? Do I call their insurance first, or take the bike to the dealer for a damage estimate and then call their insurance?

What level of coverage do you have?

If you've got full coverage, you call your insurance, report the accident, and they'll deal with getting it fixed and then take it out of the other insurance company.

Did the police come out? Do you have a police report?

If you've got partial coverage or are in an at will state, then contact your insurance anyways and report the claim. Do it ASAP, they should have 24 hour lines.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

It sounds like he still took off without offering his information to anybody?

If so, gently caress em'.

Let the cops teach him an important lesson on not being a douchebag next time.

A thousand times this. gently caress people who think that hit and run is ok because it's just a motorcycle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sectoidman posted:

Well, the shop got back to me. $5k parts+labor.

I'm guessing I need to start shopping for a new bike now :(.

:monocle:

What was wrong with it? If it's mostly cosmetic, buy it back, fix the cosmetics, and ride it into the ground. Pocket the extra cash.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mike fictitious posted:

Car: Pontiac G6. Totaled. Apparently my bike ripped the front axle off. Kinda glad I high-sided and missed it.

:monocle:

First of all...glad that you're not horribly injured, and glad to see that you were in full gear. Now for analysis...

I would say that there is one for sure lesson here, and one potential lesson: The for sure one is: you should practice braking more. Locking up the front and highsiding off the bike is not exactly ideal. If you pretty much immediately locked the front, then you practice emergency stops and getting on the brakes smoothly and quickly, so that in a panic situation you have the built up instinct to apply the front brake correctly.

It's important for not only stopping safely but leaving your options open to swerving as well.

The potential lesson: What was your lane position when she pulled out in front of you? When I approach a situation like that, I move as far to the left of the lane as possible to give me a little more time to react should they do something stupid. Sometimes a few feet or even a few inches can make all the difference in the world.

Heal up fast :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sectoidman posted:

Looking at the damage report, I think the shop went and picked out all the damage the bike has taken over its lifetime. Most of the stuff is cosmetic, but they want to replace the front forks and holder, which comes out to over $1000 not including labor. I suppose I could do it myself with parts from a junkyard or similar, but I'd be worried about getting screwed by insurance if I'm in another accident, or if I decide I want sell this one to get a different bike some time down the road (though admittedly I'd likely ride this one into the ground).

Is there a problem with the forks beyond them being scratched?

If you take the payout from insurance and buy the bike back, and are then involved in another accident, they will total the bike at a lower value than they would if the bike was a clean title. However, considering it's a 250, you can easily argue that a salvage title is still worth a fair bit, and considering you've already pocketed the money from the first round, you would still come out ahead.

A salvage title will cut down on resale, but again: You've already pocketed a fair bit of cash for the bike. As long as you can sell it for at least the buyback and cost of parts (Which would probably be relatively low), it's not like you're going to lose money on it.

The other thing you could do is talk to the shop about getting some damages removed from the estimate because some of the stuff was there previously, taking a payout and keeping it a clean title. Pocket the money, repair the bike with ebay parts, and you're good to go.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mike fictitious posted:

My cop was very nice except:
  • As of mid-week, he had still not filed the police report, so my insurance company and lawyer cannot get a copy.
  • He (hopefully) documented the other driver's address, contact info, and insurance in the report, but did not give me any of this information at the scene. Now, even when numerous people have called in to get it, we're still coming up dry until the report is filed.
In the end, I've gotten more information from the tow truck driver than from the cop.

Unrelated, but I had been googling mean/average accident injury settlements in my state :monocle:. I know I'll probably have to pay back my health insurance company, and give the lawyer his cut, but :psyboom:.

That's pretty standard. Cops will not talk to you about or at the accident at all, due to not having enough concrete information to really figure out what is going on and make a good determination about fault/etc. It does suck like hell to wait, though, I feel your pain.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Methusulah posted:

Well drat, was hoping not to post in here...well, ever. But what yah gonna do, eh? I was getting the bike ready for a ride today, and I adjusted the throttle. Evidently I pulled it too tight so it was revving it at about 5k. I figured, no problem, we're stopping to get gas I'll take care of it then. Well, we came up to a red light, but got a green right arrow. So we turn right then an immediate left to the gas station. Traffic passed and I didn't end up putting my feet down, but then I was in first and I guess got confused and down I went.

A harley guy happened to be coming up, and helped me get my bike up and Homey helped me push it into the gas station.
Nothing broken, snapped, or ruined. All in all I came out ok.

TCX X-squared boots. Suede uppers that will maybe last another spill. Any faster and I'm pretty sure it would have gone all the way through.

Same with the Joe Rocket Blaster 4.0 gloves. They have a hole Almost all the way through. Glad I got leather instead of mesh :)

As far as I can tell I didn't hit my elbows. Not pictured are my kneedguards, they came out just fine, a little scratched, and my denim jeans held up ok it seems too. Whoever in the gear thread said to Protect The Knees- thank you so much. gently caress it would have hurt otherwise.

Dinged tank.

Scraped fairing

A little scrape on the exhaust.

Then we rode to another town to see Homey's parents. I was a little spooked, but rode it out. The way back was better, now I'm just trying to take inventory of aches and pains.

Glad you're alright, and I'm glad the knee protection came in handy. I'd suggest some painkillers now and be prepared to wake up tomorrow with a whole new set of aches and pains. Did your helmet hit the ground?

And I'm sure you know this now, but you should always fix problems like that before you go riding. Just take the extra couple of minutes. I hate doing it too, but it's for the best.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I still love the way you're absolutely committed to the corner, even as you're leaving a 10 foot skid mark. :v:

The last picture as you go out of frame with the front wheel turning in is just painful to look at.

And you should post pics of the bike post accident. :xd:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Revenant.Eagle posted:

I actually didn't hang anything on the tree....something bigger will be hung in the Tallassee store.

The 3rd picture will be blown up to a 16x24 with the rest of the crash pictures surrounding it and will be hung up in the store ;)

The front tucked because:

A) I was being a HAM for the camera
B) Going waaaaaayyyyy too fast for the streets like a tard
C) Didn't get my rear end off the seat far enough and tucked the front

If you had 10$ for every time some squid thought you were totally going so fast, you'd have a new bike overnight. :xd:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Don't get complacent just because you're running at a different time from the sportbikes...the sportbike who was killed at the top that caused the road to be closed was killed by a Harley who blew the DY trying to "catch his friends". :sigh:

That's not to mention cars crossing the DY or pulling illegal U-Turns in the middle of the road. That's pretty much my #1 concern up on the twisties.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

philkop posted:

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck... why did you show me that. shouldnt have looked. saving up for my first bike

E: I think for every 10 or so awful bike pictures and stories in this thread, there should be one good statistic to make us all feel better. Especially aspiring new riders :)

We get awesome mileage for the most part. So when we die well die with a thick wad of extra cash in out back pockets.

Wearing a helmet, proper training, and not drinking and driving reduce your chances of being in a fatal accident by around 70%. 50% of fatals have alcohol involved.

I dunno if you'd consider this an inspiring statistic, but over the last 5 years I've put roughly 130k across 10 bikes, I've crashed 7 times, 3 at the track, 4 on the street, and have never had any injury more serious than a concussion and some minor road rash. Never been to the hospital or the ER as a result of a crash, and those 4 street crashes were all avoidable if I'd just slowed down and pay a little closer attention to my surroundings.

So even if you do crash, if you're geared up, chances are as long as you're not acting like a complete idiot, you'll be fine. There's the occasional freak accident, but in my mind it exists on the same level as falling down the stairs in your house...sometimes, you just get the poo poo end of the stick.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

philkop posted:

Makes me feel a lot better. I would never think to drink and drive, hell i already hate driving my scooter hung over. And yeah actually, I'm very irresponsible with maintenance. But once I save for a new bike I'll keep on that. Oh and not the appropriate thread, but z3n you suggested I should get a beater bike to get some practice on so I don't damage a nice sv650. Solution... http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/1336480756.html

:)

You can post stuff in whatever thread, trust me, I'll see it. :v:

That looks about perfect though, if you've decided on an SV.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

Now I am going to start seriously doing track riding and not just talking or thinking about it. Plan to get a GSXR-1000 (2008 or 2009).

Buy a 600. Unless, of course, you love assholes passing you in the corners. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

There's turns at the track? Fuckkkkkkk

If you're talking about that other track, then this could be the first time anyone has ever unironically suggested a turbo busa.

Get a turbo busa.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

I already ride a 1000 suzuki bike, so I don't see the problem from changing from a V-twin to a 4 cyllinder when I'm so used to the weight and size. Maybe if I were a tiny five and a half foot, 140lb person. I rode a few 600s and they're really cramped and tiny.

Best...troll...ever. :xd:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

UserNotFound posted:

It's situations like this that get me honked at : I will NOT enter an intersection if I think there's a chance someone else will run the light. People behind me can honk all they want, but that one time I thought "I don't think this guy is gonna stop" and he didn't makes all the honking in the world only remind me how much I enjoy my body in (nearly) pristine condition.

I'm glad your story had the ending it did, as I'm thinking about purchasing a jacket and helmet to be able to take a passenger sometime soon. I'm still not entirely sure I want to take on that responsibility yet... (orwhat size jacket to get that'll fit whatever girl is willing to ride with me)

Everyone IS out there to kill you, sometimes even yourself, so keep those eyes open!

Yeah, this is the number one reason to not partake in the Stoplight GP.

I've found the best call is to treat a red that's gone green like a stop sign. You look left, right, and then check for that retard making a left in front of you, and then you go.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Humper posted:

I certainly used to do this, but about a year ago I got rear-ended at a red light when the bitch behind me decided not to wait for me and just jammed on the gas from the #2 position. so I'm totally torn about the best technique.

I usually start my scan right before the light goes green, thusly I can avoid getting rear ended.

Although, seriously now, what the hell is wrong with people that she just decided to go despite you being there? :psyduck:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

The worst intersection situation is when a light goes green just as you're approaching the intersection and you're still at speed. If you brake to scan the intersection you risk a rear ending and if you buzz through you risk someone running a stale red and nailing you.

The only strategy I have for this is to slowly bleed off a little speed with my rear brake and scan the intersection like crazy.

It can be a good call to slow early while the light is still red even if you know the light will go green before you get there. Just roll off early, flicker your brake lights, and glance at your mirrors if you think you've got someone who could run up your rear end.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

At the start of my vacation a couple weeks ago, I dropped the Weestrom in a park access road. Slow speed, little damage other than cosmetic - a few plastic bits at the front got scuffed, as did my pants and jacket. The crashbars and sidecase took most of the hit - more scuffing, no deformation. It wasn't near enough to stop me from continuing on, so obviously I'm pretty pleased with how things worked out. I even used the case for the rest of the trip, and there's a bit of a story about that unfortunate bastard.

What I want to know is, what should I do about the scuff to the crashbar? It's steel, and it's already rusted a bit. I'd kind of like to steel wool off the rust, and then apply some sort of clearcoat, is that feasible? Or should I look at getting it ground relatively smooth and repainted or powdercoated?

Battle scars are what make motorcycles badass. Leave it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

Well yeah, but I don't want the bar to rust through, which it will happily do if I do nothing. Steel wool and clearcoat?

How bad is the scraping? I don't think you need to be concerned about it rusting through. If so, though, I'd probably just steel wool it and hit it with flat black. If you ever down it again, another shot of flat black takes care of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

And there's surface rust in the low spots, by now.

If you're concerned about it, you could scrub it clean and then dip it in POR15 or something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Don't worry about the dent in the tank. Are you sure that the bike didn't cut out from running low on gas midcorner? Were you on the throttle or off the throttle? Did you scrape pegs before you lowsided?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Methusulah posted:

I had it on reserve, with some gas visible when i had checked earlier. I was on the gas, but I can only guess not enough. It almost seems like I basically tipped over. I don't remember scraping pegs, really the worst of it was taken by the left handlebar. A friend of mine will be over to give it a once over with me sometime this week. I'm fairly confident there aren't any issues, but I'm even more confident I don't know a drat thing. We'll have to see how things go.

Maybe it's time to pick up some reading...Total Control, Sport Riding Techniques, and Proficient Motorcycling would be my recommendations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd dodge a turtle for the same reason I'd dodge a rock: You can, it's not gonna suddenly switch directions.

When it comes to little animals, I hear that the best thing to do is aim for them, because they will get out of the way, but I just tend to hold my line/get the bike as upright as possible. If I hit them, I hit them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Not to be a prick, but I don't know what's getting discussed here that pertains to the crash test thread.

Sad poo poo is sad. To most people. Unless it's not. Whatever. If there's a lesson to learn, it's that mexican donkeys are loving brutal, and impatience has no place on 2 wheels. Back protection posts are good, though I think that the pads people sell are an illusion of safety. The forces that compact or snap the spine (or any bone, for that matter) don't give a poo poo about some piece of plastic, or even metal on your body. That's why cars are cages and not suits of armor with wheels. Helmets are the best protective gear because their structure is outside your skull and can actually protect it. I haven't seen anything like a rigid breastplate that could prevent a spine injury being sold. Plus, the pain in the rear end problem with these kinds of accidents is that he can't tell us what happened, exactly to learn from it, since he had a concussion and lost that time.

Some precautions make sense, but some stuff you can't account for no matter how hard you try. We have our own ozymandius with the side-car thread in this forum. Luckily that turned out better. Sympathy is a separate subject from safety.

Not to mention that there are plenty of injuries than can be caused by compression or hyperextension of the spinal cord that a back protector can do nothing about.

Riding a motorcycle is dangerous. Gear is good, it'll make crashing more pleasant, but it can't save you from running into something head on at 30mph. Gear has nothing to do with actually being a safe rider. Being a good, experienced rider with a good understanding of how to approach dangerous situations will do much more to save you injury, pain, and death than all the gear in the world.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ohwandernearer posted:

Derailing the ozymandias discussion for a minute, here is a near-crash story that left my heart slamming for the next hour:

It was about 8:00 PM or so here in B-more and just about dark. There was a rain starting and I was riding my bike from the gym back to my office to try and wait it out. I slowed gradually and kept checking my mirror as my left-hand turn approached--I am always scared of getting slammed if I am not at a light or stop sign (still scared at those, but less so). Anyway, the road is Charles street and it's a stretch where people typically do 50-55 despite the speed limit being 35. I'm guilty of this too but it is a little hairy pulling out/turning on the bike. As I am slowing to turn, I see the car directly behind me slow appropriately and feel relieved. If the guy behind me slows, I can't get rear-ended. Traffic in the opposite lane clears and as I start to turn I hear an explosion directly behind me. Some bitch on a cell phone in a sedan slammed the guy behind me at full speed. I realized after I thought about it for a second I didn't even hear her skid--she never touched her brakes. I was shaking as I pulled into the college. Made me question riding for five or so minutes.

I am not really sure what I could have done to avoid that accident? I guess I would be dead?

You did the best possible thing: You checked your mirrors before slowing to verify that the car behind you was slowing down.

If you see the person behind you isn't slowing, you do whatever the gently caress you need to do to get out of the way. Ditch the bike, get up on the curb, pull into traffic and hug the right side of the lane...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Holy poo poo dude, glad you're alright.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Holy poo poo. Glad you're alright...are you getting taken care of insurancewise?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Scrapez posted:

Glad you're pretty much OK. Was it on a curve or just going straight? Odd that it'd just drop out from under you like that. It sounds like maybe you hydroplaned the front wheel. Was there enough water that you think that could have been it?

I've seen sudden slick spots form when there's something in the road that rises to the surface when water flows over it. Just like how the road gets really slick from all the oil and poo poo in the road rising to the surface on first rain.

Glad that you and Inu are alright :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Stop saying this poo poo right now. There's no rule that you only get one crash, and if you have this kind of attitude it tells me 1) you're way too caviler about dropping your bike and 2) you're going to stop expecting to crash again.

I may sound harsh, but gently caress, nobody should ever celebrate a drop, no matter how minor it is. It's not some kind of badge of honor. Wrong loving attitude, man.

I dunno, after my first drop I felt pretty relieved. After all, the entire world tells you you're going to die horribly if your bike so much as falls over, but the reality of the situation is that it's more than possible to crash a motorcycle and live to tell the tale. It's not a pleasant experience, but it's not a life ending one either.

I'm happy when I've crashed and the damage to me is minor. Double if the damage to the bike is minor as well. I'm not happy about crashing, but I'm glad that things didn't go as badly as they could have. Couple that with the adrenaline rush of crashing, and it's really easy to feel like he does. I doubt he'll be so stoked about it this morning when he hurts from head to toe. :xd:

With that said, I'm with Spiffness...there's something else going on there that you need to look at in that accident. I'd bet that you went for a handful of brake, because I've seen people do that time and time again, swear that they were off the brakes, but I was behind them and saw their brake lights go on right before they crashed. It's amazing what your brain will do without you realizing it when it's still hardwired for "slower is better".

The other big thing is: were you on the throttle through the water? If you were off the throttle you don't have the rear wheel driving you through the water and you are relying completely on the front to keep the bike tracking straight. If the front loses traction and gets far enough out of line, it's not going to come back. Staying on the gas helps keep load off the front tire, and you always would rather have the back end sliding around than the front end sliding around because you have a lot more control with the back end sliding than the front end sliding. Being on the gas also means it's pretty difficult to go for the brake which can help save you from that new rider impulse to grab at the brake anytime something goes wrong.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 19, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You shouldn't be super concerned about the rear end stepping out a bit in situations with low traction. Just be smooth and once you feel it start to struggle for grip or step out hold it where it is. It'll find traction and keep you going forward. Smoothness is super key in situations with inconsistent grip.

It may seem strange to slow down before an obstacle only to gas it through it, but that's just how it's done on a motorcycle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think it's more of a sign that you picked the wrong bike. A large, heavy 600 with 90+ hp makes it really, really easy to get into trouble.

However, if you feel that you're done with riding, no one should be trying to convince you to get back into it, that's a decision that you have to make for yourself. I would recommend finding a smaller displacement, lighter bike, one that's going to be more responsive and forgiving than the FZ6, such as a ninja 250, GS500, DRZ400, etc.

Heal up fast!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

T-Square posted:

I think I'm going to have to disagree and say this isn't the best bike for a new rider. Yes, smaller displacement is better for a new rider, and a lighter bike is also better, but this thing is very light and makes for a sort-of rediculous ride. Just sayin'

Revenant.Eagle posted:

+1

After riding a DRZ for 6,000 hooligan miles, it in no way should be suggested to a new rider. Yes, it is lighter, but the power to weight ratio can easily make you wheelie the bike and do unpredictable things.

DRZ should only be suggested for riders that have experience and know how to be a hooligan without seriously injuring themselves.

I disagree completely. It makes 30ish HP (stock) with a 320 pound wet weight. That's only 10 pound lighter than the Ninja 250 and a couple of HP more.
Couple that with the fact that it crashes very well, with cheap parts and it's a great starter bike.

Just because you can ride it like a hooligan doesn't mean you have to. If you get it upgraded with a new carb, pipe, cams, base gaskets, etc, then yes, it'll start pushing into the 40s and would be less of a good beginner bike, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a stock or lightly modded DRZ to a new rider.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

All of downtown SF is one huge clusterfuck of waiting for people to left turn you. So much visual clutter, it's difficult to pick out a bike in the best of times, and most drivers honestly just suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

The witness that saw the whole thing said the motorcycle and the car were the only vehicles in the intersection at the time of the accident.

Yeah, visual clutter referring to all of the general crap that you see in a downtown area. Signs, people/cars moving around down the road, etc. Basically, anything that can distract the eye from a motorcyclist. Standing out from that visual clutter is why poo poo like headlight modulators, bright orange vests, etc. are effective at preventing people from turning in front of you.

• Locked thread