Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Well drat, was hoping not to post in here...well, ever. But what yah gonna do, eh? I was getting the bike ready for a ride today, and I adjusted the throttle. Evidently I pulled it too tight so it was revving it at about 5k. I figured, no problem, we're stopping to get gas I'll take care of it then. Well, we came up to a red light, but got a green right arrow. So we turn right then an immediate left to the gas station. Traffic passed and I didn't end up putting my feet down, but then I was in first and I guess got confused and down I went.

A harley guy happened to be coming up, and helped me get my bike up and Homey helped me push it into the gas station.
Nothing broken, snapped, or ruined. All in all I came out ok.

TCX X-squared boots. Suede uppers that will maybe last another spill. Any faster and I'm pretty sure it would have gone all the way through.

Same with the Joe Rocket Blaster 4.0 gloves. They have a hole Almost all the way through. Glad I got leather instead of mesh :)

As far as I can tell I didn't hit my elbows. Not pictured are my kneedguards, they came out just fine, a little scratched, and my denim jeans held up ok it seems too. Whoever in the gear thread said to Protect The Knees- thank you so much. gently caress it would have hurt otherwise.

Dinged tank.

Scraped fairing

A little scrape on the exhaust.

Then we rode to another town to see Homey's parents. I was a little spooked, but rode it out. The way back was better, now I'm just trying to take inventory of aches and pains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Scary stuff sirbeefalot. I read through the meetup thread in AI and it just scares me. Stuff like that was on my mind going down the local twisty road here in the midwest. Fortunately I'm on a different time table than the other sport bikes and ride out when all the cruisers are coming back, but I'll be damned if I don't gently caress up a couple lines because of worrying about someone trying too hard. Glad the AI guys were on their toes and had some resources to help out.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
I don't know about other states, but illinois seems to have a pretty big drive going for motorcycle safety. Everywhere I go people have banners for "START SEEING MOTORCYCLES" and I get all :3: inside. The local talk radio station also runs PSA's constantly about how riders should always wear safety gear and never drink and ride.

But then everytime I stop by my kawa dealer to peruse, I hear a story of some dick getting on his bike and crashing after leaving the bar.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Z3n posted:

I usually start my scan right before the light goes green, thusly I can avoid getting rear ended.

Although, seriously now, what the hell is wrong with people that she just decided to go despite you being there? :psyduck:

I would guess habit, See green, press pedal. They figure you're going anyway and aren't actually thinking about what's going on.

I had a guy almost hit me head on today turning the wrong way onto a one way street. I was sitting at a red light and this fuckin guy comes buzzing up around the corner. Fortunately he caught himself in time and went off in his original direction. I almost fuckin fell over, scared the poo poo out of me.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Had another accident today. Looking back, I shouldn't have been riding at all, or at least thought things through a little more. Riding out in the middle of nowhere, my bike died on me. I couldn't figure it out, and as far as I can tell now, I just ran out of gas earlier than expected because I had been running higher rpm's over the weekend. After letting the bike sit, swishing the gas around a little, and putting it on reserve, the bike fired up. On the way home, I low sided in a left turn.

Far as I can tell, I was taking it too tight and leaned too far. My goal was to avoid a man-hole cover. Not wanting to feel the rear squiggle around like it has want to do, I figured I would turn a little later, thus avoiding the cover. The turn was tighter than I thought and I went down. Being a stupid poo poo-head, I thought I could lean that much. Lesson learned, I guess. The aftermath is a horribly bent clutch lever, and a slightly bent shifter, with plenty of scrapes to go along with it. Also a more pronounced dent in the gas tank.

Clutch and bar end.

Mirror and fairing.

A-star force air jacket.

TCX X-square boots.

Overall, I came out ok. As soon as I got home I ordered some textile pants from newenough to go with the jacket. I feel if I had been going faster I would have ripped through my jeans and had to go to the hospital. I'm glad I got the back protector, well worth the extra 40 bucks. My boots held up well, better than my other wreck.

My only worries are mechanical problems on the bike and my helmet. The bike starts ok, but with the clutch being hosed up I don't really want to ride it. I pushed it home, and it seems to shift ok. The clutch doesn't quite have the pull it did and feels like it shifts roughly. Being bent, i'm guessing it just doesn't move as far as it should. My helmet, well. I can't remember if I hit my head or not. I only see scratches it's already had from before. Should I be concerned?

Also, what of the dent in the gas tank? Do I need to worry about rust or detritus? Should I get a quote to fix it for insurance? Or if it goes unfixed will I be hosed? I don't really mind the cosmetic difference, I just don't want my tank to be ruined.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

ohwandernearer posted:

1. How fast were you going?

2. Get a new helmet

1. I would guess between 15 and 20.

2. Good idea, I have to find a shop near me so I can try on some different brands

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Z3n posted:

Don't worry about the dent in the tank. Are you sure that the bike didn't cut out from running low on gas midcorner? Were you on the throttle or off the throttle? Did you scrape pegs before you lowsided?

I had it on reserve, with some gas visible when i had checked earlier. I was on the gas, but I can only guess not enough. It almost seems like I basically tipped over. I don't remember scraping pegs, really the worst of it was taken by the left handlebar. A friend of mine will be over to give it a once over with me sometime this week. I'm fairly confident there aren't any issues, but I'm even more confident I don't know a drat thing. We'll have to see how things go.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
When i checked 2 days before, 32-f and 36-r sport demons on an ex250.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

BlueBayou posted:

I had a hosed up clutch lever for a while on my ninja and here is what i learned.
1. Adjust the clutch cable to make up for room you may have lost or gained from the low side. I was having terrrrriiibbllee issues with my bike and it pretty much was fixed by tightening the cable...

2. It is totally possible to ride with a bent clutch. I had to reach a little further, and pull a little harder... and riding after going rock climbing was very painful. But it is possible.

3. Replacing the lever is easy and cheap.

Oh yeah, the bent lever was fine, actually helped build up strength in my left hand and with a new lever shifting is practically subconcious. Ordering it from the dealer gave me an excuse to look at some sweeeeet bikes. Oh man.

On the hitting animals note, I had a little kitty run ride into my sidewall. I was like, "Noooo kitty!" Now he's a special kitty :downs:. Poor thing. I've had a few deer leer at me and a possum scare the poo poo out of me on a bridge, standard midwest fare I guess.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
I have the worst luck. 2 weeks after my last little accident, I had a pretty major one. I hit a deer going about 60mph around 10pm Wednesday night. God drat thing jumped right in front of me. I shouldn't have been going down that road on such a dark night (Rt 61 northbound just outside of Hannibal, MO) But oh well. I saw it in time to try and apply the brakes, but there just wasn't enough room to slow down or react past that.

I just got a little bruise on my left elbow and i sprained my right ankle. Crazy, huh? I haven't seen the bike yet, it was towed to the nearby burg of Palmyra and I've got the towing guys info for my insurance. I'll get pics once my foot heals enough to walk on so I can find my camera. It was the scariest thing of my life and I'm just thankful that I'm alive, and not paralyzed.

Now I just don't know if I'm going to be able to ride again. I've got to drop money on all new gear (my boots and gloves came out relatively unscathed) So I won't even be able to afford it for a while. Until then we'll just have to wait and see.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
MMM, deer steaks.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Double post:
Bam! Found my camera, right next to me on my desk. God drat I'm blind. Anyway:

It's shiny because it started to melt
[Right shoulder blade]

Tear on the seam
[Behind left arm]

Connecting zipper ripped and ruined

Hole in left shoulder

Hole/tear in left forearm

Left forearm again

Left elbow (clip for size reference :)

Wrapped right foot

Right backside

Right knee

Left knee

Tear on left hip.

Most of the damage was to the left side, except for the foot. I can only guess I got thrown off and either landed on my right foot and went tumbling side over side (i remember sliding a little too) or my foot connected with the ride when i came near to my stopping point. I had three cars go right around me, so I flipped them off and shouted Assholes! to them. loving assholes. Then a van of old ladies stopped to call 911 and 2 or 3 truckers stopped and covered me with blankets until the ambulance got there.

This watch was on my handlebars, and came out unscathed. The officer brought it to me in the ambulance. It was a gift from a lady in florida whom I fixed some heirloom watches for. Glad I got it back.

My helmet was taken with the bike so hopefully I'll get some pictures of that next week.

@revenant: I'll definitely look into that. I'm hoping they will, it's all trashed except for my gloves and boots- surprisingly.

Methusulah fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 2, 2009

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Tsaven Nava posted:

I can count at least twice that I've narrowly avoided hitting deer only because I was already covering/gently on the brakes approaching them as they stared at me dumbly from the side of the road. So then when they inevitably try to race me and jump out in front of me, there's no lag time to go to full brakes.

I dunno what the gently caress is with those dumb animals, but they do that to me all the time on my bicycle as well.

It was just so dark I didn't even see it until it was in the headlight. I think it just saw the light and since it could see an empty road it tried to jump across, not realizing a bike was screaming behind the light. Dumb animals indeed. Bah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

the walkin dude posted:

Brilliant. I shall do this from now on.

I used that tactic earlier this year and I don't know how much it helped, but it mostly just staved off the paranoid loneliness of a late night ride heading home on the interstate. There always is the possibility of a deer flipping out and jumping between the car ahead and you, but from my experience, I think the deer is more likely to be in front of the car because it's trying to cross the road as it sees the lights illuminating the road. It's all just a matter of timing and luck at that point. Deer can be quick when they want to.

e: my plan for the future is to just not ride at night at this time of year, i'm just way too spooked about it now

• Locked thread