Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I almost had an accident yesterday. Taken a trip with a friend to visit another friend, and whilst there we discovered the air horns on this second friend's 2CV were somewhat bolluxed. So two of them pile into the 2CV and my original friend and I follow on our bikes.

Taking some twistys up a hill and I'm following too close to the 2CV (really bad habit of mine, generally happens when I come out of a turn rather quicker than the vehicle in front). Suddenly they brake as they come across a turning on the right, indicating and then turning in, whilst I wasn't expecting this so was concentrating on the next corner. I slightly panic and grab at the front brake, which brakes for a second and then locks on the gravel dotting the road.

Oh gods, washout of the front again, this is how I had my 3 previous accidents.

Wrong, I have enough presence of mind to release the brake and steady the bike, then reapply the brakes. Still gave me a huge burst of adrenaline.

I don't know why I follow so closely in a bike compared to a car, maybe it's the fact that I can see round the car in front when I'm riding, whereas I'm perfectly happy to just cruise behind them when I'm in a car. And I need to sort my rear brake, it sticks on and not using it has given me a bad habit of never using it. But fixing both of those would make me safer (plus some new tyres, but I'm off to do that today).

VVVV It's a disc. But I'm pretty sure it's just the pedal rusting and binding. Gotta take it off, clean it all with a wire brush and some turps, grease it all up and stick it back together, but to do so involves removing the exhaust. Pretty sure it's do with all the muck, water and salt on British roads over the winter, both bikes have sticking rear brakes and I had the other one sorted just after christmas (that's a drum though). It's my come-uppance for riding all winter.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

And even more especially in the rain.

I was taught that you're meant to use the rear brake more when the ground is wet. Normal braking ought to be 70 or 80% on the front, but in the rain it should be closer to a 50:50 split.

• Locked thread