Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Read all the way to page 13
"Don't you mean page *2*?"
"Oh, wait, most people haven't changed their settings to show 100 posts per page..."
:downs:

Post 104 sucks.
Post 194 sucks a lot more.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Jack the Smack posted:

If you got the cash, there's HD bullet cams that mount on your helmet for around $200.
Not to be vicariously opportunistic (by which I mean, "yeah...totally.").
If he didn't have the cash before, I suspect iroc_dis will have it soon enough.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
WEW! GOT MY NEWBIE CRASH OUT OF THE WAY!

Jendywo and I went out for some geocaching around 4pm, and on the way home, there was water streaming across the road from some broken sprinklers or somesuch for around 50-60 yards. I saw it well in time, and slowed from 35 down to around 15 or so. I was 80% through when the front tire just....disappeared out from under me - just like my fears about motorcycles always said it would.

Funny how crash memory works.
I was riding along, I felt something funny in the bars, and then a big pain in my right hip, then I felt the right side of my helmet tap the ground, then I was stopped and looking at the bike slide on it's right side into the curb. I got up, got over on the grass, and laid the gently caress back down. Jendywo pulled over, got her bike stopped, sidestand down, etc. I rolled over to the bike, found the kill switch and killed the ignition. Rolled back over and cheered..."WOOOOOO! Got the crash out of the way!"

Damage: I'm going to have a fuckoff huge bruise tomorrow on my right hip. a 3mmx2mm scuff on the back of my right index knuckle. The left side of the front fork popped out of the triple tree (we managed to get it back in *enough* that I was able to duckwalk the bike 1/2 mile back to the house.) The helmet totally did it's job, even though there wasn't even any damage to the paint that I saw.

So. I got that poo poo out of the way, and it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.
Pictures tomorrow, when I manage to get my gimpy limping rear end out of bed.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Go Go Google Maps! This is looking backwards from where I stopped. There was water streaming across the road (right to left in this view) all the way back to the far side of the driveway.

DZ - The celebration comes from knowing that I'm going to drop the bike *eventually*, some way, some how, someday. Considering that dual sport touring is one of my long term goals, I imagine that over the course of the next two decades, it'll be more than just this once, no matter how painstakingly careful I am. Granted, I envision it being much more likely on dirt than on pavement, but still. I would rather get that first one out of the way early in my riding career, to have that experience under my belt. Experience is experience. Now I know what dumping the bike is like, it sucks rear end, is expensive, and I was fortunate to have had a mild one. Not something I want to do again in the future (at the same time accepting that someday I'm going to be picking my way down a piece of singletrack at some point and will wind up having to pick up a bike with a fuckton of gear strapped to it, to boot.) But having the experience of having to put your "toes, knees, hips (ow), back, shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers...(check). Bike off (check). OK, what now... Bambalance? Tow truck? Call a friend? Ride it home? etc." plan in to action is still good experience, and there are a few changes I'll be making to what I bring along on a ride in the future. (#1 change - Metric Hex Wrenches and a phillips screwdriver on the bike at all times)

In retropsect, I'm sure that the front hydroplaned on some oil floating on top of a thinner layer of water. Back near the driveway for the apartments, the water was flowing pretty good across the road, and I didn't feel any traction problems. It was when I got into that section of the water where the water was being deposited on the road by car tires that drove through the water that the front tire just fell out from under me. The factors leading up to this were:

* Rider inexperience - I honestly can't recall how *exactly* I manipulated the controls while going through the water. I do remember chanting a combination of The Motorcycle Mantra (The Brakes Are NOT The Right loving Choice Right Now) and OhShitOhShitOhShit. I was not clutched in and coasting through it, I was not rolling on the throttle. I was definitely not on the foot brake, and I don't believe I was even covering the handbrake, having done a lot (scrubbed 20mph?) of braking up front before reaching the water. I *may* have been rolling off the throttle veeeeery gently, but I can't recall. I do remember having competing thoughts of "slower...slower..." and "stay smooth, don't slow down..."
Z3n, you're right, adding throttle slowly was likely the right choice, but that was one of the lessons of the night. Part of it was that I was trying to stay smooth, and between the dry clutch and the shaft drive, my bike doesn't add/subtract power nearly as smoothly as Jendywo's XS400. I do recall thinking that if I added power in 2nd gear, the rear would likely step way out, and I'd have...you guessed it...gone off anyway.
Doesn't help that this was my first (and only) experience with a low traction situation. I remember thinking about wanting to ride some dirt doubletrack that was near one of the caches we were after, so I could get just a little experience with it earlier in the day.

* Bad planning - I saw how much water was streaming across the road, and I should have turned us around to go back the way I'd intended originally, so we could avoid 120th ave after dark. (If you're following along on the map, we'd taken a right instead of a left at York and 124th. I'd intended to go 124th to Steele to Madison to home.)

* Equipment not up to snuff - As I found out last night, the tires are worn to the point of replacement. They've been OK for dry pavement, and have done OK so far in the wet they've been in. They are (and were before last night) at the top of the list for Stuff To Replace Over The Winter. This bike has a history of being able to go long periods on the same tires. The front MEZ4B has 19742 miles on it (unless the PO forgot to annotate a tire change - which is likely, I don't think the bike actually has an MEZ4 up front anymore), and the rear Michelin Road has 13250. (Point to note: This bike has seen lots of commuter duty in its past, and those are surprisingly average mileage figures...for this bike. The prior owners consistently got 16-18k out of fronts and 11k-15k out of the rears.)

* Last Ride Of The Year syndrome - Knowing that the tires need replacing RSN, and having put both bikes up "for the season" a couple weeks ago (though I hadn't put in any Sta-bil yet - that was the plan for the first week in November), going out yesterday was sort of an impulse ride, because it was perfectly lovely out, and 80*. We could have gone geocaching in one of the cars, but nooo. Too nice a day to waste, right?

All in all, this was an important lesson that came at a much smaller cost than it could have.

So, what *should* I be feeling? Stupid? Remorseful? Sad?
Why *shouldn't* it be a celebration? As a new rider over the age of 40, the odds are very, very likely that no matter what I do, I'll have at least one off in the first three years of riding.
Now I know how that statistically likely off happens, and it's my own fault. I learned some important poo poo last night, and I'm a better rider for it. Why *shouldn't* I celebrate that?

(and it's Evel Knievel)

(and this:

Z3n posted:

I dunno, after my first drop I felt pretty relieved. After all, the entire world tells you you're going to die horribly if your bike so much as falls over, but the reality of the situation is that it's more than possible to crash a motorcycle and live to tell the tale. It's not a pleasant experience, but it's not a life ending one either.
Not only did I not die horribly, but I don't have even the slightest scuffing on my gear. No gnarly post-crash pictures of my ripped up gear to post. This is a good thing.)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 19, 2009

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Only if it's spelled correctly. :)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Doctor Zero posted:

Yes, I was harsh on you earlier, and I apologize for that. However, I feel that 99% of crashes are avoidable.
Just don't be that guy. :D
c.f. the part where I listed the contributing factors and the things I could have done to avoid it. While I celebrate the learning experience that did not kill me, it hurts like gently caress today.

You and I have spent some time on Vent together (Ryzom, IIRC), so I heard what you had to say, in your tone of voice, even, and no offense taken. I didn't even think it was all that harsh.

Doctor Zero posted:

I hesitate to tell you what to feel, since that's you.
The fact that the first thing you did was pump your fists and go "WHOOO HOOO" is what prompted my reaction.

Feeling good at being alive and relatively unhurt is one thing, and I wholeheartedly understand that. It's good you learned something - just don't act like it's some kind of rite of passage.
I'm sort of a peculiar duck when it comes to feelings anyway. Good things happen, and "it's a thing that can happen". Same holds true for bad things. They're all 'stuff that can happen'.
An off is just a thing that can happen. If you do everything as you should, it *probably* won't happen. That doesn't mean that if you do everything you should, it *can't* happen, just that you've minimized the risk to the best of your ability. It's still 'a thing that can happen', and it's up to you to decide how you feel about it when it does.
I crashed last night. I learned a few things. I didn't die horribly. I choose to see it as a positive experience, albeit one I have no desire to repeat.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
An update from another thread:

Methusulah posted:

poo poo like that happens man. How did the bike fair?
It washed out to the left, landed me on my right hip, which hurt like hell, but nothing broken - it took 4 days to raise a visible bruise. The bike got a little minor scuffing to the RH Cylinder Head Guard, and something that I didn't think was possible (but is probably a result of the Telelever).

The front wheel was turned to the right when it contacted the curb, and it pulled/popped the LH fork tube out of the top of the triple clamp. At first, I thought that I was going to have to call a tow truck to get the bike less than a mile back home. Wrestling with it some, we managed to get it back into the top clamp "enough" (a little more than 1/2 way) - which was enough for me to ride/duckwalk it back home via various parking lots and apartment complex driveways (that route, in reverse, going through the dark-gray apartments, not along 120th. Also cutting through the grass to the parking lot by China2000, for those what care.)

Haven't been back out on it since - we've had crummy weather, or have been packing for a move next week. A permanent fix looks super simple, since the end of the upper triple clamp is attached with 2x 6 or 8mm hex bolts. Unbolt/loosen the endcap, slide the tube back up where it belongs, tighten.

No other damage that I've been able to find.

My only wish is that I could point to a reasonably clear cut cause, instead of a lot of little things that *might* have contributed. I'm a little sketchy about getting back on, now that I have this impression that you might be flung off it without warning for the tiniest of stupid poo poo. I mean, now I look at something like this and wonder what the magic is that keeps the drat thing upright, when I went down in *way*, *way* less water...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Z3n posted:

Are you absolutely sure that the bike doesn't have front end damage, either from the previous accident or from this one?

I wadded my poo poo at 100+ mph, and the forks only moved about 5mm in the tubes. Something's wrong there, either the front end pinch bolts weren't tight enough or something is seriously out of wack. You need to get that measured or looked at.
The way it came out makes a lot of sense, given the geometry. I can see where a regular 'double triple' would likely have suffered different damage, or bent something serious due to the way it's assembled.

If you picture the bike laying all the way down on its side, with the wheel turned right, then hit the tire against the curb (forcing the steering slightly past 'lock' on the right side - I discovered when I inspected it that the tab on the frame that functions as the steering lock is slightly bent - which wasn't easily done), the RH fork tube at the handlebars, the RH fork bolt at the bottom, and the center Telelever pivot point act as fulcrums for the LH fork, which was pulled out of the LH clamp at the top (because the LH bolt at the wheel wasn't going to give). Given the way the triple at the top is designed, I can see that not being all THAT hard to do. We managed to get it most of the way back in with just our bare hands, and I haven't messed with it since. It did right straight both before and after, however. Unlike this one - which sounds like it had a similar type of impact..

That said, I'm winding up a pretty hefty financial obligation today (the last payment on The Wrangler That Shouldn't Have Been), and I'll either have the funds available to start replacing stuff, or the time and space to part it out and stash the proceeds against the possibility of picking up PlasticSun's F800GS, which seems more like 'my kinda bike'.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Nate Falls posted:

Man, gently caress rain.
Forgive me if I looked at the thread in the forum list, saw who the last post was from (and that there was only one new post), and thought, "Yes, yes - I bet he does, at that."

Glad you're OK.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Tsaven Nava's girlfriend posted:

"Dude, you are such a tard."
If her response was within 12 miles of actually being this - she may just be a keeper. Because she's right, and she seems to appreciate that about you. =)

Good on ya for continuing the ride, even.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Mister Silver Lining Says: "Hey, at least you didn't have to replace your helmet!"

Do you remember the crash itself - specifically, the cause?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Doctor Zero posted:

Closed head injuries are nothing to gently caress around with.
Like open ones are? ;)

(Check it out! I can smell chocolate when you poke your finger riiiiight...there!)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

blugu64 posted:

I crashed. Only had gloves...I hit my head. Hard.
...my friends told me I kept walking into the walls...
No, he wasn't. Nor a jacket, nor pants, nor boots, nor goggles, nor underwear, apparently.

Just gloves, rockin' it like a naked Michael Jackson in the Thriller video...with an extra glove.

Why, no, I don't know where that image leapt into my head from. Nor do I particularly want to, since you asked.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 25, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Wandering Idiot posted:

I just flat out won't carry a passenger. Not like it's an issue, the wife is petrified of the idea of riding. Dropping a helmet isn't that big of a deal to me anyhow, mine's had a fall or two from the seat, all of 3~ feet. I'm not about to substitute my full face with the skid lid I have laying around, either.
Jay Leno's Garage had a segment recently with a muckey muck rep from Arai. Straight from the horses mouth - by design, the helmet needs to have a head-sized, head-shaped, (10-12 pound) head-weighted object inside it to be damaged. If you drop your helmet from any (reasonable) height onto a hard surface, the shell is designed to flex a small amount, and it will be fine.

That said, dropping a bike on the helmet is a bit more than 10-12 pounds.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

sirbeefalot posted:

...a loving corrugated plastic "ERASE DEBT NOW!" sign blows right into the path of the front tire.

Excuse to pay cash to get flush signals!
:D

Zool posted:

something about tortoises and the short hairs.
Glad you guys are OK. Zool, you have the best friends. =)

Pseudo-content: I crashed and burned yesterday, too, but it's far more E/N and far less CA. Thanks for listening. ;)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

redscare posted:

I've heard of companies cancelling warranties over track time, but not insurance companies canceling policies except in cases where it was fraud (e.g. guy wrecks on track, makes it look like he wrecked on a street to file a claim since insurance doesn't cover track time)
Back in 2008, an Autocrosser in Pennsylvania had his GEICO auto policy cancelled on his daily driver - because they found evidence on the internet that he had autocrossed a car that he owned, but wasn't listed on his policy.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

n8r posted:

*Was* dating and this girl rides an Aprilia? Biggest mistake of your life man.
He dropped her bike.
She said "Don't worry about it, it's my fault, it's no big deal"
He believed her.

I'm not sure I believe that the switch from 'is dating' to 'was dating' was a decision he had control of. :v:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

OrangeFurious posted:

As I recall California used to limit lane splitting speed to 25mph or so. The CHP supposedly pushed for that limit to be removed. This is anecdotal though.
When I lived in California (1968-1991), the law read that you were allowed to split no more than 5 MPH than prevailing traffic, up to a maximum of 25 MPH.
I was surprised to learn last year (when I was reading up on California Motorcycle Laws prior to a visit to Santa Barbara) that the law had changed, and that the limit had been removed.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Phy posted:

e: Oh hey and under that paradigm standing it all the way up is for people who haven't yet learned to not mash it all the way, IE people just getting their first MSF course under their belt
Yeah, that's what I got dinged for in my MSF test - "slowing down in the (outside/inside/outside 180*) turn"... I think it was a little bit of ingrained habit from autocrossing - I'm pretty sure I trail-braked with the rear brake for the first 45* of the 180...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Synonamess Botch posted:

That sucks and all but don't you think divorce is a bit of an overreaction?
Maybe she was driving the Caravan?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

AncientTV posted:

I think I counted 10 reregs a couple weeks ago, so at least $110 in accounts.
Yeah, but it's money well spent, if you're measuring in dB/$$.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

DrCornelius posted:

For fun rides, I generally pick something where people don't hang themselves in a park as often, like Carmel Valley Road.
This is how your post read to me...

Glad to hear you're OK.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Crayvex posted:

Or am I just a retard?
Watch the tilting horizon, and you have your answer. =)

Also, I don't know why, but that song has been stuck in my head for days now.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Making a trike out of a motorcycle and a VW Bug is so yesterday, man.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Z3n, I agree with you about a lot of things, a lot of the time, but you are out in left field here. You are generalizing incorrectly about his riding "attitude" based on one fifteen second snippet of his riding. Additionally, those are likely the worst 15 seconds to judge by.

I have to admit that I'm maybe taking this a little personally, too, since you called me out in much the same way when I dumped my BMW at similar speed in similar conditions (old tires, wet road, slowing at 5-10mph ) waaay back in October of 2009.

The implication of what you are saying is that it wouldn't have happened to "a better rider". Well, I've taken the MSF (twice, once on their bike, once on mine), I bought a bike on a fly and ride, and rode 800 miles home. I've played in the dirt and on muddy forest roads , I've cut through on sidewalks and short stairs between parking lots. I've hooned with a lady on a KTM supermoto until I ran out of gas.

And every time I get on the bike (which is not nearly as often as I'd like), I'm still scared shitless the whole time I'm riding that the bike is going to fling me off mercilessly and without warning right into another eight hundred dollar medical bill because nobody has sent me that "better rider" card in the mail yet, and I still from time to time make micro mistakes despite my best efforts to be the best rider possible.

I find it exceedingly difficult to believe that all of you who's opinions I respect in this forum make zero micro mistakes, ever. Or that there is zero possibility that the error chance that they represent won't stack up until you miss your "save vs. Diesel" roll at some point. Need to tighten up your line making that right onto main street? Micro mistake. Case the jump? Micro mistake.

You just HAVE to give a rider a little slack in the cases, or you wind up like me.
I have a hilariously fun bike that I put maybe 50 miles on last year because I have so little confidence in the intersection between the contract patch and my ability to avoid making another ill timed micro mistake the throws my rear end to the ground a second time.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 13, 2012

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

A note on your bike, I think a crash like that would more than likely bend forks and maybe even steering head. Strongly advise junking the bike. If you want to keep it and intend to replace parts, one thing I learned in school is to look for cracked paint around the steering head, which indicates a bent frame. To see if it really is a good idea to fix it back up.
Point of order: It's a DRZ. Throw some 17's on it, and don't give the parking wheel a second thought.

Glad you're OK, Beck.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

The video said the driver watched him just drift off the side before the guard rail.
This, combined with that driver saying that he passed her on the right before leaving the pavement for first the shoulder, then the field, then the creek to the right of the guardrail is what has me wondering if it wasn't, in the words of George Carlin, a gah dahm mahyacahdial infahction!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

aventari posted:

Just watched the video and I'm gonna go against the grain and say that that driver is 100% at fault and incompetent. He drives straight into auruspex on his own drivers side without even noticing. That's some inattentive, irresponsible poo poo.
I'm going to duck in here and agree.
Auruspex's speedometer is visible and (mostly) readable in the video, and for the majority of the time he's doing what I'd call 'reasonable, if not exactly prudent' parking lot speeds. He hits 30 for one speedometer update cycle, for the majority of the time, his speed is much lower (22-25 mph), and his forward visibility and positioning are pretty reasonable to avoid a car that starts backing out, unless that car fairly well leaps out of the space like a cat on some catnip - in which case, I don't know that anything would help avoid a collision.
(remember, the vision with your eyes on the bike is way better than the vision on the video replay)

However, in the end, Auruspex's behavior for the 30 seconds prior to impact is fairly well irrelevant to the actual crash - because at the time of the crash he didn't really have unreasonable speed, or super terrible positioning for the turn. Jumping on his poo poo feels a lot like jumping on someone for hooning down some stairs on a supermoto, then biffing it in some gravel at the (unrelated) stopsign down the block, y'know?

Me?
I would be closer to the curb out of habit, but that's me, and I can't really fault him overmuch for making a different lane-positioning choice than I would, when that choice *shouldn't* have had a crash attached.

He rides more confidently then I do. I'm a noob, and would make different choices on the bike than he did. However - I make similar choices in my car under similar circumstances. There is one spot about 300 yards long on my commute to work where I routinely drive 35-40 in a 15. I know the road, and there is non-zero but totally manageable risk on that section - the biggest risk being that some DPD motorcycle cop is going to get a bug up his rear end,decide he wants to impound a fuckton of cars that day, and set up a trap at the end of that particular curve into the parking garage.

The driver of the other car, however, was holy poo poo are you kidding me?

My biggest issue, and the largest factor that I'd change were it me, is that I'd leave the video rolling as evidence rather than turn it off.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

front wing flexing posted:

Yes, they'd be equally responsible. However, I don't see much bragging about hooning in CA, though. Hardly if ever.
"Search found 80 matches in 0.00 seconds for 'Riding like a dong'" ¹
:colbert:

Not it - I just put Beck's Zebra Plastics on my DRZ yesterday. They are awesome, and gently caress if I'm going to mess them up.

¹ intended as humor

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm kind of the same way...

The brain can extrapolate 3D information from perceived relative motion and stored knowledge of object size, and does so unconsciously.
This. My 68-year-old mom has deliberately used two different prescription contact lenses for as long as I've been aware she wears contacts. She essentially has monocular vision in both eyes - one for being around the house (0-30' or so) and the other eye for driving. She watches the road with her left eye, and when she checks her speed, she unconciously does it with her right eye. No, not like a chameleon. Duh, you guys. :v:

I asked her about it once, and she says she still has reasonable depth perception by accounting for parallax.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So, the people behind him could read it?
No Get.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Counterpoint:

Errant Gin Monks' Front Brake spotted.

I was tempted to include this, but gently caress DEER.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
I have a zebra striped DRZ that I can offer as a dowry. :v:
You'll have to teach my GF how to ride, though.

Wait.

Nevermind. I live in Colorado. We have something that passes for "winter" here.

Wait.

Nevermind. That's an excuse to buy a Ural GearUp.

You'll still have to teach Audrey how to ride, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Okay I just checked out the YLLS thread you mentioned and drat. Im a married man but your did one amazing transformation there. I need to get off my rear end and hit the gym again.

Also make the helmets off thread, I will participate.

It is done.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511574

• Locked thread