Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Had a real doozy of a crash a few weeks ago. Going roughly 70-100 mph up a slight hill on an unbanked, divided road dragging knee through the turns. Right before one of the turns I had stuck my knee out and positioned my body, going around 70 mph (I glanced down at my speed before positioning myself) and then I fell on my right side and low slided right as I started turning.

My knee was the first thing to hit the ground, then my elbow, then my handlebar. The bike slid away from me and bounced off the center divider, while I skidded to a stop well away from it.

I was wearing full body leather, racing boots, gloves, and a full faced helmet. The full leather suit and boots my mom purchased for me cause she was scared for my safety, and I can honestly say that was possibly the best purchased she ever made. I got minor road rash on my finger, elbow, and hip. Two fractured toes and a sprained wrist and ankle. 3 weeks later I'm walking and doing various activities without any bandaging or casts.

Now for some pictures:

Disgusting pic of my finger: http://j.photos.cx/c3481953e937c4a5ac39d3a9031ba706-713.jpg

What I think happened based on memory and what other people said who saw the scene: http://j.photos.cx/cb1f207cbeab3bbc577e26f540973ab4-a63.jpg

The tow truck driver I talked to when picking up my bike called that road "The bike eater". It has eucalyptus oil all over it and he constantly tows bikes all the time from there.

Now I am going to start seriously doing track riding and not just talking or thinking about it. Plan to get a GSXR-1000 (2008 or 2009).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

Buy a 600. Unless, of course, you love assholes passing you in the corners. :v:

There's turns at the track? Fuckkkkkkk

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I already ride a 1000 suzuki bike, so I don't see the problem from changing from a V-twin to a 4 cyllinder when I'm so used to the weight and size. Maybe if I were a tiny five and a half foot, 140lb person. I rode a few 600s and they're really cramped and tiny.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

sirbeefalot posted:

Why does your SV1000 have an SV650 graphic on the front fairing?

First time I fell messed up the front fairing pretty hard and just bought a 650 one since it was cheap.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Iroc_dis luckily you were on a crotch rocket with a subframe that acted like a catapult and ejected you to safety. A low level cruiser or chopper would have had the rider crushed between both cages.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

iroc_dis posted:

Yea, I kinda wish someone had gotten it on camera. I want to know how high I got and how far I landed from the bike.

If you got the cash, there's HD bullet cams that mount on your helmet for around $200.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Imagine if you applied the newbie crash to everything.

"Woo, got my first newb STD out of the way."
"Woo, got my first newb broken bone out of the way."
"Woo, got my first newb food poisoning out of the way."

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

redscare posted:

Yeah, exactly.

Speaking of, apparently Brad Pitt hosed it up, clipped a parked car's mirror, and dropped his bike the other day.

Haha, how dare you not post a link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1223085/Brad-Pitt-knocked-motorbike-Hollywood-crash.html

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

UserNotFound posted:

Boy I wish I had people so concerned with everything I do that I could guarantee that if I dopped my bike I'd have people swarming to find out my condition. :jerkbag: Paparazzi :jerkbag:

Imagine this for everything every day for years. EVERYTHING!

rifles posted:

I think he's wearing sunglasses under an already tinted visor

He looks like the rocketeer.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Didn't actually participate in the crash, just a witness. Click on any of the images to expand their size.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...9,0.013808&z=17

At around 2:50PM Pacific Standard Time today a grey SV650-S, pre 2003, smashed into the side of a car. The rider went flying across the intersection.

Pictures before moving the vehicles. Drivers just going around it.

The rider. He was moving all his limbs. Considering he flew across the intersection, he could have easily been paralyzed or worse. Tennis shoes, jeans, sweatshirt, music player, gloves and helmet were all he was wearing. He's fine and maybe has some bone injury, but he'll be riding again if he's not scared off by the crash.

The other driver. Those aren't blood stains on her pants, just some design.

The vehicles

From what I heard of witnesses, the SV650 was going southbound and the woman in the car was going northbound. She made a left turn in front of the rider when they both had green lights (left turners are supposed to yield). This is further supported by her saying "I didn't see him".

Guy in orange was the witness who said he saw the whole thing. The other man holding the sign helped move the bike out of the intersection. I almost slipped and fell on the fork oil that covered the ground though.

Golden Gate Cycles, a dealership, is only 4 blocks away from where this accident happened.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 30, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

All of downtown SF is one huge clusterfuck of waiting for people to left turn you. So much visual clutter, it's difficult to pick out a bike in the best of times, and most drivers honestly just suck.

The witness that saw the whole thing said the motorcycle and the car were the only vehicles in the intersection at the time of the accident.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Whiteboy posted:

Only took him two weeks, but my brother finally crashed...while trying to do wheelies. Yeah, he's been riding motorcycles for less than two weeks and he's trying do wheelies because he's super pro. His words, not mine.

Anyways he got about 1-2 feet off the ground with his front tire before panicking and dropping the front end a little too fast. That made him jerk forward and accidentally gas it again and he lost control and crashed. I wasn't there to see this but his friend told me what happened and showed me a picture of him right as he crashed as I was picking his bike up with the trailer.

The bike suffered some basic damage-broken windshield, snapped off handlebar, scrapes along the fairings, crank case is scratched up but not leaking, broken clutch lever and one of the fairing screws snapped off.

As for my brother, he's at the doctor right now getting checked out because he either sprained or broke his left foot. He's an idiot not only for trying to stunt his bike, but because he did it with no gear. He was wearing skate shoes, jeans, a helmet and a leather jacket. The jacket is scratched up decently on his left side, but it came up a tiny bit while he slid and his left ribs are scratched up. His pants have several holes in them and his legs are cut, his foot like I said got demolished because of no riding boots and his hands are cut because he didn't have gloves on.

He's is honestly one of the cockiest riders I know who honestly shouldn't be on a bike and hopefully now he'll plan on taking the MSF with me. I know I sound like an rear end in a top hat for being happy about him crashing, but this really is a good thing. It wasn't as serious a crash as it could of been and now maybe he'll learn from this and stop trying to be so badass and ride smarter.

Oh and before anyone asks, yes I tried to teach him how to ride but apparently I'm too pussy to ride with him anymore because I don't weave in and out of busy traffic while doing 80+ and hit the streets at night with him. Seriously :sigh:

Your brother is a 2 wheeled body bag right now. You gotta sabotage his bike so it doesn't start or something.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

infraboy posted:

Today I would like to be thankful for Bridgestone tires and their BT-45s and their ability to stop be from 65mph to a near stop when some jackass in an old green Mazda Protege signaled for about 1/2 a second and decided to jump into the carpool lane in front of me at about 5mph.

I was fishtailing the rear and ended up about 3 feet from it's rear bumper, I don't think i've had that much adrenaline pumping in my body ever.

I'd also like to thank the MSF for teaching me how to use both brakes and to not grab the front brake in an emergency stop but to squeeze it progressively. <3

I think i'm going to take this experience and learn from it and start going a little slower in the carpool lane if traffic in the other lanes are backed up. It's freaking me out how close that was.

Those situations are the worst. That's why I ride on the far left of the lane and move into the breakdown lane if that happens. I also tailgate any 4 wheel vehicles in front of me.

Also, do you have HIDs?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

infraboy posted:

I was riding my GS500, no HIDs unfortunately, is there a way to add them on? And yeah the lane was pretty much all clear ahead for a good 1/4 mile or so until said car jumped in front of me rather suddenly and decided not to accelerate very quickly.

That riding in the left most portion of the lane is a good idea, there wasn't really a "breakdown" lane on the left to go into though, only about a 1-2 feet before the median.

1-2 feet is enough room for your bike, but your mirrors will be hit a bit. Better that than your legs.

As for the HIDs, they replace your current headlights and ad a bit of bulky electronics to the front of the bike. But they are extremely noticeable and bright if you're looking to be noticed from the front, and use less battery power. If you seriously are looking to buying them don't pay anymore than $50 for a set. I got mine for $35.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Had my first crash today since getting my bike in August.

May as well get the swap, you're gonna pay the same or more to fix it. If you really enjoyed the daytona you should consider getting that bike or a similar bike instead and selling this one.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Related to the discussion of helmets: http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Oct/091016arai.htm

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Wandering Idiot posted:

That crash footage at 6 minutes and change in, how that man lived through that is a testament to technology and luck.

Yea, it was helpful that his skull didn't get run over by a motorcycle tire like another racer who fell at a much slower speed.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Wandering Idiot posted:

Turn signals seem to be the majority victims this month.

Poor turn signals. :(

Yes they deserve to die, and I hope they burn in hell! Integrated signals shall rule forth!

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

redscare posted:

Now I don't know about you, but i take taking a poo poo VERY seriously :colbert:

You shouldn't take your posting that serious, we're all having a good time here.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Yesterday myself and 4 friends were packed into a yellow crown vik that used to be a taxi cab, and we were all extremely hung over. Driving to my house to drop me off, the driver (who is the only one paying attention to the road) sees a motorcyclist fall over. He drives up to him and asks, "Hey, you ok?"
"Yea, but some rear end in a top hat hit me and took off!"
"What car is it?"
"A dark green Honda Accord"

So my friend drives away and starts flooring it, going through a red light, and after 15 blocks we catch the honda at a red light that is impossible to run due to heavy traffic. We start yelling at the driver and telling him he needs to turn around cause he hit a motorcyclist, and the other driver responds by saying that he never hit the bike.

We start taking pictures of him, the car, and a closeup of the rear of the car as we're rolling. The guy decided to turn and go parallel to the street we were on to avoid us, so we turn around and head back to the crash scene. We then show the photos to a couple witnesses and the motorcycle rider and they say that it's the car that hit him. We even notice that there's a fresh tire mark on the rear bumper of the car.

An hour later, after all the witness reports are collected and the rider is taken to the hospital, the 2 friends who were in the front seat of the car are taken by the cops for a ride along to find the guy and identify him. They found him and I don't know what is happening to him, but usually felony hit and run with injury is jail time. The guy was a 40 year old asian.

The bike I didn't take a picture of, but it looked like a street fightered standard with a tiny front fairing. The frame slider took 99% of all the damage. Rider was wearing full gear and looked ok.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
The car made a U-turn over the double yellow and the rider hit the back end of the car.

• Locked thread