Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

basx posted:

Locked up my rear brake for the first time while going home yesterday. Thank god for the MSF training. My thought process went something like this:

La la la la pretty day.
Oh poo poo, cars in front of me are stopped. Brake hard!
Back end sliding around, this feels weird.
That guy at the MSF said to just ride it out when you lock the rear brake. Guess I'll try that.
Hey cool, I'm still alive.

So yeah, as weird as it feels when that rear tire is sliding all over the place, it's okay to just ride out a rear slide, the bike WANTS to go straight.

Of course, paying attention to the poo poo happening in front of you is preferable. :)

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me, I was coming up to a light a guy was in the right lane I was in the left. A guy comes up behind me and starts flashing his lights to pass me even though I am doing the 55mph limit and we are in town. I look in my mirror to figure out what he wants and then look back up to see a stale yellow light and not much room so I grab the brake but hear squealing and assuming it's my front let up on the front and discover I locked my rear luckily I kept on it and stopped ok just a little over the line but scary and stupid as hell. I realized part of my problem was I had changed to progressive fork springs that day and had not really tried panic stopping and the front end is really different and with a few practice stops I am better at judging how much preasure I should give the front.

The bitch is that both cars the one on my right and the one behind turned right at the light so the tard behind me was trying to pass in front of a guy to turn right immediately? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I managed to get T-Boned today :(

Lady was stopped at a stop sign and pulled directly into me as I drove past.

Luckily there was a second lane to my left with no one in it so I swerved a bit and she didn't hit me super hard and I was able to keep it upright.

The crashbar saved my leg from any damage and the bag took the rest of the impact.

I managed to rip her front bumper right off.

Impact happened right where the truck is in the last picture. She said she didn't see me at all.

Said she has insurance but couldn't find it so we'll see how bad the claim with Markel will be.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 17, 2017

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The car behind me stopped and waited for the cops and made sure the cops knew she was 100% at fault. Also kept checking I was alright.

The Cops wrote her a ticket for failure to yield or whatever. I honestly think she didn't see me but am not sure how she didn't as I wasn't wearing my invisibility cloak today.

The driver was so shaken up she ran into the hot dog place and lost her lunch right after the accident.

I got a spider sense she was going to hit me and started moving over or it would have been much worse.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I spoke too soon about not being injured. The crash happened on a saturday and by the following monday my back was hosed up. Went to the Dr. and was told I needed PT. Hopefully it resolves without leaving any lasting damage.

Bike is at the Harley dealer. They came up with an estimate for all kinds of poo poo like new mirrors and levers that weren't damaged. They also quoted me for a new gascap. I asked what was wrong with the old one and was told it was missing which is news to me as it was there when I dropped the bike off. They also told the adjuster that the crashbar wasn't damaged? I explained that while it wasn't scratched because it hit a plastic bumper it's clearly bent. Apparently the tech who looked at it is a moron. I'm trying to get the estimate down to what really got damaged so they don't scrap the bike.

In other news the person who hit me has clearly got some screws loose. Today she texted me this.

I'm not sure how getting hit by her makes me need to stop riding motorcycles. As much as I want to tell her to get bent I'm not interested in more drama so just I asked her insurance adjuster to ask her to never contact me again.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Well should my back injury end up being a long term thing I could see having to go to court at some point so I'd rather not get in an argument with her.

Her adjuster hit the roof and assured me she would call the lady who hit me immediately and let her know she shouldn't contact me for any reason.

I think it's some sort of guilt coping thing and the lady seems a bit off so hopefully it's the last I hear from her.

While we were waiting for the cops after the accident she was telling me motorcycles are dangerous and asking if my parents are ok with me riding. At the time I figured she was shook up from the crash and just held my toungue.

Turns out shes a bit nutty all the time.

• Locked thread