Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Jesus...I saw that pic and thought the worst. Good thing you were thrown clear; I hope you got a lot of money from her and then had her arrested. This is exactly why I always stop off to the side of the rear quarter of the car in front of me if I'm not splitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Well, I lowsided on the way to work yesterday. Came around an exit and thought I saw a strip of something, sand or dirt, in the road and down I went. I tumbled down the road and the bike slid ahead of me. I hit my knee hard on something, possibly a curb when I came to a stop, but since I had full gear on, my only injuries are rash on my knee, forearm and stomach (I slid on my stomach for a bit and my jacket came up).

After I came to a stop, I was completely aware and able to walk to the bike and shut it off. Two guys stopped, helped me out and picked up my bike for me. One of them stayed with me for almost 20 minutes until the cops came and gave me water/offered me a smoke.

I took the ride to the hospital and got x-rays...no broken bones, so my rash was dressed and I was given an antibiotic shot, a tetanus shot, and some antibiotic pills to take home. I feel like my gear did a good good of protecting me, but if I had full leathers I would have been even better.

I don't have pics of the Icon overpants, but they saved my knee from whatever impacted it, but wore through as well, giving me the worst of my injuries, a pretty open rash below my knee. My Firstgear mesh jacket did surprisingly well, considering how some people say mesh is useless. Both elbows on that jacket took a beating but held up. My ankle is a little swollen, I was wearing my "all-day comfort" shoes, the new Frank Thomas stunt boots. It is just a minor injury, but I think my ankle would be uninjured if I had been wearing the much tougher Icon Field armor boots that I own. The Icon helmet took a scrap on the side, but honestly it wasn't much of a hit (of course I'll be replacing it).

The bike may be totaled. I was looking at it after the accident and most damage is replaceable stuff, but the rack for the luggage mounts is pushed to the side, along with the exhaust, giving me the feeling that the bike may be bent up back there. Somewhere along the line it must have flipped over, as both sides are heavily scrapped up. Right now it is still at a towing company, so I need to pick it up to find out how bad it is.

The good is that I have medical insurance, and it covered my prescription so I'm hoping it will cover the ER visit. The bad is I only have liability on the bike, so I don't think I'll be getting any check for that. I really hope I can fix it up.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I wish I could carry a gun just to pop deer when I see em. Everytime I see one on my bike my heart skips a beat. Don't believe in those deer whistles for an instant, either, because I actually hit a deer with an old car of mine with the whistles on. Squirrels can suck it, though. I kicked one of the bastards on my old Buell going 40.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

For a ripstik the only choice is the X-Men suit from the other thread.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

drat I'm looking forward to hearing that guy get the book thrown at him. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew what happened as I've seen people drive pretty murderously on the regular.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Or oncoming, overtaking at stupid points.

I was riding through one of our narrow country roads the other day (there's room for cars going each way but only just). I crest a small hill and I'm suddenly presented with a minivan fully on my side of the road in the middle of overtaking a cyclist on a blind corner / hidden dip combination. I managed to escape collision by riding on a scrap of side-walk.

Glad you're OK Shouting Melon, heal up soon and learn from this: get some proper boots.

I had something similar happen except I was following on my bike and two cars were road raging in front of me. A suburban passed a miata on the solid yellows, then the miata passed and they went back and forth for a bit, swerving at each other. Finally they came to a tight 90 degree turn and the miata goes to pass in the oncoming lane anyway. Well...another car came around that turn and it was really really close to being a head on. The other car, a house cleaning service, quickly drove off onto the grass. Afterwords the two ragers stopped in the middle of the road to check on the driver of the other car start screaming at each other! As I came up behind them I basically reved the piss out of my bike so they couldn't hear one another, so they got back in their cars and drove off.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Mushika posted:

I genuinely would pay money to see a helmet camera video of this happening, but only because it sounds like no one got hurt.

I slowed to a stop almost to check and it looked like the house cleaner was fine, just startled. She had really drat good reactions now that I'm thinking about it. Maybe she had some kinda point of no return thing going on.

The whole thing was really stupid. I mean it was a narrow road with a few good turns, rolling hills, side streets and driveways and hard to pass smartly even on a bike. These two were just doing it repeatedly while being completely obvious to their surroundings. That miata was dumb as hell but the poo poo that giant suburban was doing was just as bad...that thing could barely fit in its lane driving normal and it was swerving and shaking all over the place.

But yeah, if I ever get a drat job I'm gonna pick up a gopro and just wear it everywhere. That was the worst but this is New Jersey. I see video-worthy poo poo all the time.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Glad your ok but you should probably edit that oozbay part.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Even still there would probably be some paperwork or something you'd have to deal with.

On the opposite side is me riding my bike on the sidewalk because I don't want to cross the road at night to a side with no shoulder. That's no good though, and I get pulled over by cops cause I can't ride there. I don't remember getting poo poo for this when I was ten.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

Riding on the sidewalk is no good, because a cyclist could seriously injure a pedestrian. That's the one thing somebody on a bicycle can do that really pisses me off.

I will usually ride on the street too but at night I tend to go on the sidewalk. I cut onto the sidewalk if a car is coming or if I'm rounding a block and don't want to cross I'll just stay up on it. When I ride a bicycle it's almost always cause I'm going over friends and don't feel like starting a bike/car to go half a mile. I already almost got hit once riding at night on the street with lights blinking and I'm not giving anyone the chance to do it again.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah man you pretty much nailed it, sad to say but us Americans simply aren't as good at things as Europeans.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah they tell that to everyone. Well, either that or the organ donor joke.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

It's less of matter of skill and more of self control. I for one drove reckless 100% of the time at those ages in a series of slow cars. On a bike I would've been 10/10s on my way to school. No regard at all.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

invision posted:

I ride 5-10 over everywhere. Cars passing me freaks me the gently caress out, and if I'm passing everyone I don't have to worry so much about someone running up behind me.

I've been wanting to bicycle to work but this is why I haven't. Compared to a motorcycle where you're not only geared up but have enough power to take control of most situations, on a bicycle you're completely at the mercy of cars. So if some retard is on the phone and starts drifting toward the curb, you're going to get hosed without even seeing them coming.

As for lane splitting, I only do it on the highway. Splitting up to lights in a state where it isn't legal is asking for a ticket because often cops like to sit in the center grass median there. It's not like you're losing much time or anything either, so risk/reward and all that.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

KARMA! posted:

You're Russian?!?

Yeah I split even in my land cruiser.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I've warmed up to rain riding slowly over the years and eventually got to the point where I would just throw a rain suit on and go to work. The first time I did it I could swear my back tire was hydroplaning constantly and was really uncomfortable with it, now it feels like my bike has more traction than my truck in the wet. It's just a matter of baby-steps, over the course of years.

For the visor my winter/waterproof gloves have the little wiper on the thumb, but I usually just turn my head to both sides and the rain beads off even without any rain-x.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I wonder is that 32-40k gross or take home?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

redscare posted:

There's nothing "LF" about a dude having to do mental gymanstics to justify not going to a hospital after a drat motorcycle crash. Despite all the poo poo said in his direction, I can actually identify since when I refused medical attention after my first crash a few years ago because I had no money and my insurance was some lovely HMO and I had no idea if it would cover an ambulance ride that may or may not have been "out of network." Fortunately in my case, my shoulder took most of the impact and my head just scraped the ground instead of slamming into it. I also didn't experience any post-concussion symptoms, otherwise I would have found my way to an ER, bills be damned. Its not a calculation that should have to be made in a developed country.

When I had temp jobs I paid almost $200 a month for Horizon. When I crashed and went to the hospital I basically just got bandaged up (covered) and charged $600 for a 10 minute ambulance ride (not covered).

Now I have Horizon through a job and it is a lot better, but I get the feeling if I needed repeat visits and meds (not included) they'd find a way around the maximum out of pocket. Really the best plan for healthcare in the US is to be completely broke, get treatment and just never pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

My Dad is a vet and the VA really takes care of him, free everything. Still I'd rather not have to have been in Vietnam to get it.

• Locked thread