Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
At the start of my vacation a couple weeks ago, I dropped the Weestrom in a park access road. Slow speed, little damage other than cosmetic - a few plastic bits at the front got scuffed, as did my pants and jacket. The crashbars and sidecase took most of the hit - more scuffing, no deformation. It wasn't near enough to stop me from continuing on, so obviously I'm pretty pleased with how things worked out. I even used the case for the rest of the trip, and there's a bit of a story about that unfortunate bastard.

What I want to know is, what should I do about the scuff to the crashbar? It's steel, and it's already rusted a bit. I'd kind of like to steel wool off the rust, and then apply some sort of clearcoat, is that feasible? Or should I look at getting it ground relatively smooth and repainted or powdercoated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Battle scars are what make motorcycles badass. Leave it.

Well yeah, but I don't want the bar to rust through, which it will happily do if I do nothing. Steel wool and clearcoat?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

And there's surface rust in the low spots, by now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fuckin' ungulates

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Primo Itch posted:

This video always scare the poo poo out of me, always.

Christ, I feel like having a smoke and thinking hard about my life choices just watching it.

Tsaven, yours is not fun either! Especially the twinge of familiarity from the engine note. Glad you're ok and the bike is bloodied yet unbowed.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's in one of the books on How To Not Suck At Motorcycling - I think the one by the scientologist - was it Keith Code? Anyway, figure each tire's got a dollar worth of traction, and braking, turning and accelerating each take up a piece. If you've got 95 cents worth of turn taken out of your tires, you can only apply five cents worth of brakes - but you can apply brakes, if your hands are sensitive enough to not just mash it. Stand it up a little, so you've got seventy-five cents worth of turn, and you can throw on 25 cents worth of brakes.

It's a pretty good way to think about it IMO without getting into vector diagrams for the contact patch.

e: Oh hey and under that paradigm standing it all the way up is for people who haven't yet learned to not mash it all the way, IE people just getting their first MSF course under their belt

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 12, 2010

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My first bike, I never dropped once.

My second bike, I laid it down on both sides and ended up busting the plastic.

My third bike, I've washed the front out once, and gently laid it to rest on either side a couple of times in the parking lot. The guards and luggage took all of that damage with minor scraping.

Though if the trend continues, my eventual fourth bike is going to end up in a tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aargh posted:

A handbrake in a car is not going to cause it to spin out uncontrollably, it's barely going to slow you down.

A wiser man than me once called it the emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever.

• Locked thread