Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

:aaa:

Glad you're alright, looks like you got off pretty unscathed for not being fully geared. Man, I cannot imagine motherfuckers who go down without a full face helmet on. All of that scraping the helmet took..on your face..:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Welp, had my first off earlier this afternoon.

Was up in the mountains on an unfamiliar road, alone. I was being fairly conservative the whole ride but the corner I was in at the time tightened up incredibly quickly and started going uphill (couldn't see this before I went into it). I'm still not sure if I simply took the corner too quickly or if I panicked and tried to slow down (I don't think this was the case, though). Regardless, me and the bike went slamming into a wall of dirt at full speed.

The entire loving impact was transferred to my crotch, nothing else on my body got so much as scratched. God, I do not wish that pain on anyone, I thought something had popped :gonk:. The first thing I thought after the impact, after "what the gently caress just happened?", was "holy loving god why do riding pants not have a cup in them oh god oh god".

The bike suffered a bent shift lever. It twisted all the way around 180 degrees actually, thankfully I had my tool kit in the trunk (was debating not bringing it today, glad I did) so I flipped it back around no problem. Other than that the only damage was some scraping and a crack on the left fairing, a lost left turn signal, and a crack on the windshield fairing. Rode the thing 2 hours home, which was fun because I got to really soak the whole thing in.

My helmet visor nailed the windscreen I think, because there's a crack on the fairing there and my helmet visor is very very slightly scratched. I shouldn't need to replace the helmet right? I know it's always safer that way, but the actual helmet didn't impact, just my visor and it didn't even leave noticeable scratches.

I'm bummed as hell about my bike though, even though I should be thankful that me and it got out in such good condition. It was spotless before; I'm the kind of person who doesn't have a single scratch on anything I own. Now it's got a bunch of ugly scratches and cracks that I'll never really be able to fix :(. Well, it's obviously fixable but I'm pretty broke and it'll be pretty costly for the result. And now when I go to sell it I can't proudly advertise "never been dropped!".

Pics of the (minor) damage:

Shift lever after I put it back facing the right way. It's a bit more bent that it appears on photo but it's relatively minor. I notice these always get screwed up in crashes, I'm guessing they're designed to fail so the engine doesn't get damaged?

Left fairing. The crack to the left of the turn signal bothers me.

Bottom of left fairing. I don't mind the scratches too much because I can repaint those.

Windshield fairing crack. I hate cracks.

Dent in the tank where my loving NADS COLLIDED. Seriously, that's the only thing that impacted this area. Probably the most devastating damage, cause even if I get it pulled out it's never going to look like it did before.

I know you guys are looking at these pics and going "haha what is this guy serious", but drat, this is the most damaged thing that I own. What would be the best way to fix this minor junk? I'm gonna grab some paint from ColorRite but not sure what the best approach would be for getting everything back to the way it was.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Raven457 posted:

lol, nads :buddy:

Tsaven Nava posted:

Hahahaha, oh man, I'm sorry to laugh at your misfortune. :)
Haha, thanks guys. I do have to admit that it's pretty hard not to laugh at.

Most of the fairing damage is scratches of varying degrees of thickness, with the aforementioned cracks. Guess I'll have to google some guides on how to properly repair that stuff to see if it's feasible.

As for the helmet, yeah I figured the consensus would be to replace it. I'm gonna send it to Shoei for inspection this week; don't want to shell out $300 for a new RF1k unless I know the current one is screwed.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Sepist posted:

To the guy who crushed his nads on his tank, sup fellow tank crusher

http://sepwich.com/sep/bike/100_0441.JPG

This was back in 07, luckily it wasn't a full on blow to the balls but still hurt like a bitch.
Ouch, yeah, not a plesant experience.

Also, I'm really thankful that I don't have to deal with deer here. Glad it didn't nail you.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Ouch man. Glad you're alright, and at least the damage to the bike is just cosmetic. You should be able to get new clipons and replace all the other damage for a few hundred bucks. Check out the various kawasaki forums for new fairings. Kawiforms and Ninja250.org Classifieds would be good places to start. You can usually find people who are making trackbikes and want to sell their stock fairings. Or you could run that poo poo streetfighter :colbert:

Were you wearing leather pants? If so, you shouldn't have jeans on underneath. It would also be a good idea to zip your pants to your jacket in the future. Both of them should have come with 2 zipper halves, if they're different brands you can take one of the zipper halves to a tailor and have them sew it onto the jacket/pants so they zip together. If your pants and jacket are the same brand they should zip together without any tailoring.

edit: I'm a retard and can't spell kawiforums correctly

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 15, 2009

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Crash numero two. Cold tires can go gently caress themselves. Bike had been running for about 45 seconds, took a right turn out of a shopping center onto the main road. Gave it too much lean and I knew as soon as I took the turn that tightly that it wasn't going to hold traction. Not only were my tires cold but it was around 1am so the roads were ice cold too. I'm lucky my buddy who was following behind me in his car didn't run me the gently caress over. I was seriously expecting to get hit by him as I was lowsiding.

I won't bother posting pictures because it's just standard crash affair. Didn't have frame sliders so my right fairings/levers/pipe are hosed up cosmetically. Gear pretty much looks untouched but I know it saved the poo poo out of me. My jeans got lacerated and my knee is pretty hosed up. As z3n has iterated before, wear overpants or knee guards at the very least. If I had been going any faster than about 10mph I wouldn't be walking right now.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

That's the thing I like about having a Shoei. If in doubt I can just send off the helmet and they'll return it with an integrity report for free.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I'm surprised people use ME880's on 250's...those things are heavy as goddamn hell. I wonder how much power the bike loses from the additional rotating mass. I think 4 or 5 of my BT090's would still weigh less than 1 ME880. If anything I'd use a BT45 if you want a long lasting tire (got about 10k out of my set I believe), though I'm not sure if they make them for pre-gens.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

If I feel the back popping out to the side like that, what's the correct response? I'd think I should give it some throttle to straighten out, but if the rear loses traction then suddenly regains it, that can cause a high-side, right?
Don't give it throttle, just be smooth and keep doing what you're doing -- it will usually hook back up after a short time. If the rear is spinning then it is struggling to grip the ground, giving it gas and making the tire spin after will just make it harder to regain traction. The most important thing to remember is that just because the bike is sliding it doesn't mean you are going to crash. You can ride out slides Just DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T chop the throttle. Just need to have faith in the bike, remember, the bikes are capable of way more than most of us will ever be able to utilize :).

Sometimes there's just not a whole lot you can do though, especially when outside factors like oil, gravel, sand, ice, etc are involved. If you haven't read it, Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II is really great for explaining what you should do in a potential crash situation, and more importantly, what you should avoid doing.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

Do people just hang around at that corner with a camera, waiting to get crash footage?
Yeah, "Killboy in California" is a pretty good description. If I recall correctly, they also catch a lot of crashes at that corner because it's decreasing radius (?) and looks like it ends sooner than it actually does, so people tend to get on the gas too early and crash.

There is some video of actual riders, though.

Darko: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGCGoYuX7fI

BusaFalconer (guy can actually ride a Hayabusa!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS5hl3ElcbU

Quickvr4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bFm4jJ8IAs

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It's not really the radius of that corner that gets people, it's the camber. It switches from being fairly banked to going off-camber midway through, and while you can't see it in the videos, it really will gently caress you up if you're already pushing your traction limits.
There we go. I knew it was something along those lines.

Z3n posted:

This is why tank sliders are a must on the 06+ R6.
Amen. I can live with replacing plastics, rearsets, clipons, exhausts, whatever. But having every piece of the bike completely melt down isn't something worth risking over buying a $100 set of sliders.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

nsaP posted:

Interesting, perhaps next time I go out I'll try to hang off more monkey like. I tend to just slide over and keep one cheek on or so, except sometimes on a corner exit when I'm giving it gas and doing "The Pedrosa" so to speak.
You might just need to scoot back in the seat more. A lot of people like to sit right up against the tank, so when they slide off the side and stick a knee out they're rotating their body around the tank. You'll never get a knee down like that because you're not actually sticking a knee out, even if it feels like it. Scoot back in the seat so that when you lean off you're parallel with the bike. Not that I'm advocating knee dragging on the street or anything. It's actually illegal in Georgia ;)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

giundy posted:

I've been riding since September

quote:

2nd track day

quote:

Ninja 250.
I envy you in every way possible. I wish I had gotten some track days in with the 250. It teaches you how to carry soooo much corner speed.

Is that Carolina Motorsport Park? Also, gently caress BT45's. I hate those tires. At least, it looks like that's what you have. If you're gonna be doing more trackdays I highly recommend the BT090's or BT003RS's for that bike (110/70-17 & 140/70-17). They'll feel much more planted than those squared off loving cruiser tires.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

WildWanderer posted:

Now I am sure if I called a Shoei rep and asked his opinion, he would tell me to replace it because it's possible the helmet may still be damaged.
Send it to Shoei. It's completely free. They will x-ray it and tell you if it's still sound. I sent my crashed helmet to them and it turned out to still usable. The way you crashed was low speed and it looked like your helmet impacted the ground in a way that could have compressed the EPS liner, whether you can see it or not.

WildWanderer posted:

I still believe my tires are partly to blame. I'm on my second set of Power-Ones, and I have noticed a DRAMATIC compromise in traction this time of year when I have trouble keeping them hot. I am also running a V-profile up front which makes the bike kind of twitchy. My back tire is due for a change, so I'm going to try a Power Pure next, see if it's a little more street friendly.
Why are you running such sticky tires on the street? Power One's are legitimately the worst choice for a street tire due to the way Michelin race tires are affected by heat cycling. Race tires in general are a terrible idea on the street because as you found out, you will never get them up to temp. Even running a N track pace won't get them fully heated. I've ran takeoff Power Ones and Power Races on the street and they were honest-to-god the worst experience I have ever had with tires.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

18 years old nothing. How about 14 year olds on supersports?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, I guess my question is whether or not there's ever been a case of a helmet surviving in a crash where it impacted, or if it's absolutely 100% certain to be ruined?
Send it to Shoei. I crashed at about 80 on the track with mine and my head impacted the ground, left visible damage on the helmet. Sent it to Shoei and they said it was fine.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Z3n posted:

I really, really dislike the idea that I could crash at that speed on the track, leave visible damage on the helmet, and still have the helmet be ok...isn't the whole point supposed to be that it compresses when you smack your head on the ground?
Well, it was a gentle lowside so my head didn't impact the ground hard like it would in a highside or similar type of crash.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah, any slow speed maneuvers or places that are likely to be oily (gas stations, parking lots, rush hour traffic, etc) are rear brake only for me. Too easy to tuck the front at slow speeds if you lose too much momentum or hit a patch of oil or the like.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Hospital bills have started coming in from my crash a few weeks ago :getin:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

FormatAmerica posted:

How does that work? Insurance pick up any of it?
Still being processed but it should all be covered. Don't ride on the track without insurance, kids!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

What I'm really waiting for is the bill for the hospital I was in for 5 days with a few days in the ICU. Among other things, they ran a bunch of CT scans and were feeding me morphine 4 times a day so I'm hoping it will break 6 figs. For reference, the bill I posted was a hospital stay for about 2 hours :v:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Shimrod posted:

Wtf that was 2 hours?
More or less - I'm not sure of the exact time obviously. My friends who were with me at the track said I was carted to that (close) hospital via ambulance; they just did a body + head CT scan and then had me airlifted to the level 1 trauma center in Atlanta.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

-Inu- posted:

Hospital bills have started coming in from my crash a few weeks ago :getin:

Last bill posted recently.

Really wanted to hit that 6 figure mark, but oh well. At least I can tell people I've done a $170k trackday now.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

I'm fine, I'm just pissed at myself. It was a stupid mistake and it's going to make me cagey as hell in low speed turns until I get some more parking lot practice time.
It happens. I had a similar lowside when I first started riding, but it taught me things about myself and my bike. In fact, I crashed a few times on the street when I first started riding, but it was always my fault and there was never another car involved. Every crash I've ever had has taught me something.

Good on you for taking responsibility and not blaming it on other factors. I absolutely hate when people say "where was nothing I could have done" or "it wasn't my fault". There are very few instances where something is completely unavoidable (racing, and to a lesser extent trackdays, aside). Some common things that are preventable: going too fast/too slow, not leaving enough stopping distance in the rain, using the front brake over wet metal grates/painted lines, not anticipating a car to make a dumb move, not having escape routes planned, etc. I mean yeah, no one is perfect all of the time and you can't realistically avoid everything, but everyone should analyze what went wrong during a given crash and take something from it.

Look at it this way: You had a slow speed crash and learned a lot from it (throttling too much while leaned too far (and probably on cold tires), that gear is worth it, that pants will shred in an instant). It's way better to learn the "easy" way than to learn it the hard way in a high speed crash.

This isn't relevant to your crash, and is probably something you already do to some extent, but I want to drive home how important it is. I don't think we have a new rider thread, so I figure it's not a bad idea to post this here. I posted this somewhere else the other day in response to someone advocating "loud pipes save lives":

quote:

When you're on a bike, you have to pretend you're invisible. Always analyze what other drivers are doing, constantly check your mirrors, always predict the dumbest possible thing a car could do and have at LEAST one escape route planned. It sounds like a lot to process and a possible distraction, but it becomes second nature very quick. I rode for so long that I unconsciously do the same thing while driving a car. Same thing - I've avoided MANY accidents in a car because I was prepared to handle the worst.

Ride defensively when needed, but don't be afraid to ride offensively either. If you're on a standard or sportbike, use the acceleration and brakes to your advantage. Practice braking in both dry and wet conditions. Learn what your bike is capable of (it's a lot more than most people think) so that you can use it if need be.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to get hit if you're doing the above, nor that every accident could have been prevented. I'm not saying that I'm some sort of ~superior rider~ because I've rode x street miles without an altercation with another vehicle. I know that it could have happened at any time. I knew the risks when I threw my leg over the seat. And yes, having a louder bike may occasionally alert people of your presence, but it's a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

Awareness is just as important as bike comfort level and skill when it comes to safety. Practice it daily. I like to play a game where I guess what stupid thing another random driver is likely to do, and it's funny how often I'm right.

Recent example (I was in a car, but that doesn't matter): I was visiting my dad a few months ago and was driving with him in the car. I was stopped at a red light, and when traffic started moving again, an SUV from the other lane pulled out in front of me. I slowed down before I was in danger of hitting him. My dad said "holy poo poo, you could have almost hit that guy". I just chuckled and explained to him how I knew the SUV was likely to pull out: When I'm bored at a light, I'll unconsciously check out other cars and kind of people watch. I noticed the guy in the SUV move his head left a couple of times, which made me think that he may be planning to pull into the other lane. Once I saw his head moving, I checked his tires and saw that they were angled to the left. Sure enough, once he was able to move, over he went. There are a lot of subtle things other drivers do that can help you :ghost: predict the future :ghost:.

Anyway, don't be too hard on yourself. poo poo happens.

• Locked thread