Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

redscare posted:

loving intersections.

Srsly, roads should just never cross each other ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Lowsided the bike at about 30mph when I mis-judged a corner. Was wearing full gear, came out of it without and damage to myself, and the bike is fine. I was VERY lucky, and missed the guardrail by about 10 feet, sliding instead into a wonderfully soft and muddy ditch.

http://vagrantbiker.blogspot.com/2009/05/lowside.html

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

basx posted:

Locked up my rear brake for the first time while going home yesterday.

I actually almost ate it doing this same thing, only I did it a couple days ago on the New Jersey turnpike in an epic downpour of rain.

I saw a couple guys on bagged Harleys or Goldwings or something stopped on the side of the highway, one of them messing with something on the far side of his bike, so I decided to pull off and at least see if they needed any help.

I'm still not sure EXACTLY what happened, but I braked way too hard for the conditions, and the rear wheel locked up at about 55mph. Bike was ALL OVER THE PLACE, I moved over about two lanes in a split second and felt like I had little to no directional control. I think I may have moved over a white lane-dividing stripe, but I'm not sure, I might have just stomped on it too hard.

I did exactly the wrong thing, but somehow managed to come out of it okay. I let up on the rear brake, which grabbed traction again at just the right time. Either that or I was simply drat lucky (Because it was NOT mad skillz that saved me), but the bike stayed up, I stayed on it, and brought it to a much more controlled stop a few hundred feet down the expressway.

I didn't even get an adrenalin buzz going off it. Only once I was back on the road and in traffic did it really strike me just how badly that could have ended for me (5:30pm on the I-95 in absolutely torrential rains), and how lucky I was that I kept it up.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Revenant.Eagle posted:

holy-poo poo crash on Deals Gap

Jesus loving chirst, that looks BRUTAL. Which corner was that?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

philkop posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlYymSFq5L4
Aha, funny to see someone whos trying to show off get whats coming to them.

I know it's mean to laugh, but I lol'ed as he was trying to pick up the bike, before realizing that he wasn't capable of standing up :)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Yup. It might suck to kill something so cute, but it's better then an off. I was somewhere in New York I think when a little chipmnk darted out from the side of the road and under my rear wheel. Little guy made a beeline for it like he was purposefully doing himself in. It happened absurdly fast, by the time I even thought about it, I felt the bump. Ah well :(

Oh, I will say this though: loving SWERVE FOR TURTLES.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

moderate that. If your combined weight you + bike is over 750lbs, or so, the turtle is hosed beyond all measure, and you're better off treating it like a board.

I'm 265, and the bike is like 780 or so. And thank god, because some loving racoon jumped in front of me on the highway and it skull turned into paste.

yes, I'm making the logical leap that a racoon skull is similar to a turtle.

Firstly, Me + Bike is barely over 650lbs :)

But I would think the kinda puck-shape and smoothness of turtle shells could send your front wheel darting off in all sorts of random directions unless you happended to hit it PERFECTLY dead on. And to hit in that perfectly, you'd have to actually aim for it . . . in which case, why wouldn't you avoid it by six inches? It's not like it's going to dart left or right at the last second.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Shuka and TimeTrash and Bugdrvr posted:

Turtles are good, move them off the road!

I always do when I have the chance :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NEVJh3pfh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUHO1LDGW3k

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

redscare posted:

gently caress deer. If I see one, I'm slowing to a crawl until I get past the suicidal fucker.

Abso-loving-lutely. And really, any sort of large animal on the side of the road, I loving idle past, be it deer, horses, cattle, anything. Every time I see one, I flash back to the OZYMANDIAS thread on ADV.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Becktastic posted:

Oh God that thread is heart breaking. In my sculpture class we have to make a sculpture based on writings of some sort and I chose his. Reading over them pains me every time, but hopefully I will have a nice memorial when I am done.

And yeah, I think of him every time I see a Wildlife Xing sign and I slooooow down.

Oh yeah. I also met a guy at the HD campground in Anchorage who had a bit of a limp and looked like some back pain, and I asked him what had happened. Evidently he'd hit a moose at 60mph, flew off the road and flipped 150 feet down a cliff. He was in the hospital for over 9 months and countless surgeries recovering. He was wearing full gear, but even in spite of that the doctor said that his shin and ankle bones looked "like corn flakes" on the x-rays. The damage to his legs was so bad that they had to put a nerve block or something in his spine to effectively make his legs permanently numb.

And here he was, two years later, doing another 9,000 mile road trip from Montana to Prudhoe, then Anchorage and back.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

OrangeFurious posted:

Hmm. I'm not sad. I'm proll'y just an rear end in a top hat though.

Read all the way to page 13

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

dietcokefiend posted:

Jesus christ it went from horrible to just hosed up :(

Honestly, when I first was directed to that thread, it was enough to make me momentarily re-consider my trip.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Doctor Zero posted:

I bet you guys laughed all the way through Saving Private Ryan too, didn't you.

Only when it's overlaid with Yackety Sax: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Sui7st2q0

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Methusulah posted:

I hit some unprocessed venison

I can count at least twice that I've narrowly avoided hitting deer only because I was already covering/gently on the brakes approaching them as they stared at me dumbly from the side of the road. So then when they inevitably try to race me and jump out in front of me, there's no lag time to go to full brakes.

I dunno what the gently caress is with those dumb animals, but they do that to me all the time on my bicycle as well.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

iroc_dis posted:

Got rear-ended by a dumbass in a pickup

Well, poo poo! Could have been a lot worse, I'm surprised you're in as good of shape as you are. How'd your gear hold up?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

-Inu- posted:

I CRUSHED ME NUTS

Hahahaha, oh man, I'm sorry to laugh at your misfortune. :) But look on the bright side, if you're lucky, this will leave you nice and sterile!

And really, I wouldn't worry about cracked plastic bits. Replacing them all could end up costing a significant percentage of what the bike is worth, and it's just minor cosmetics anyway. You'd probably just want to drill a hole at the end of the cracks to prevent them from spreading farther, then maybe filling them with an epoxy or something.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

redscare posted:

Yeah I was riding overly aggressively because traffic was completely poo poo thanks to the USC game and I was impatient. Wasn't smart at all.

Laaaaaaane splitting :)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Raven457 posted:

Lane splitting looks like a great way to get sandwiched between two SUVs here in Austin, especially when they are full of idiotic FOOOTBAWL fans.

Eh, you end up with a pretty decent sixth sense about who's going to do something dumb, and who you can buzz past.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
OH GOD MY EYES.

Srsly, I've pretty much settled on a Ninja 500 as my next bike, but I think that just turned me off to them forever.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Man, that sucks rear end, I'm sorry.

To those reading this thread, though, this is a good example of why you shouldn't ever buy a brand new bike as your first bike. Crashing sucks, but messing up a shiny new bike makes it so much worse.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

NitroSpazzz posted:

Can post pics of damage if anyone is real interested but there really wasn't much.

Yes plz. Glad that you made it out of it okay, this thread just keeps reinforcing how important gear is.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
We know what his prognosis is yet, is he going to survive? Was he geared up?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Aw poo poo.

My girlfriend's version of what happened:

Tsaven's Girlfriend posted:

I was soooo excited to ride my super sweet motorcycle and look cool and pick up the ladiezzz that, while on my way to cuddle my girlfriend and be a total fag with her, I neglected to take into consideration that I live in Illinois, and it's January. So I'm riding my bike and doing approximately 5 million miles per hour on an on ramp, and decide that wet patch up ahead is water, despite it being in the 20s. So I'm like "VROOM!" and then all of a sudden, ICE HAPPENED. I was like "We're going down! Women and children first!" and dove headlong off my bike. It was super badass, because I was on a motorcycle. I realized, during my 50 foot powerslide/prolonged slow-motion dive, that my bike was on my legs. I was like "Oh snap" and powerfully and manfully kicked my bike off myself. Anyway, I look super hardcore, because my helmet is scratched up a bit, and there's some black marks and scrapes on my super sexy high-vis yellow suit.

Then I got to my girlfriend's, and she was like "Dude, you are such a tard." and then we had sex. Moral of the story: I get laid when I do stupid poo poo!

Okay, what ACTUALLY happened.

tl;dr - Hit a patch of ice on an onramp getting onto the highway at about 30-35mph, bike flopped down and we slid along the road about 90 feet.

Gear worn: Olympia Phantom suit, Olympia winter gloves, Nolan N102 helmet, Matterhorn gently caress-off 12" steel-toe and shank work boots.

Outcome: I'm fine, and the bike's fine.

Suit's a bit rashed, helmet has a small scuff on the chinbar. The Happy Trails hard bag took the majority of the slide, and is ground through on the front bottom corner. The bag mount is a bit tweaked, as is the front crash bar which took the rest of the slide. Other then that, there doesn't seem to be any damage to the bike, but I'll take a closer look tomorrow. Slightly sore right ankle

Longer:

Well, yeah, I was getting on I-294 northbound for the ~90 mile ride up to Milwaukee. From Chicago. In January. This might have been my first mistake. For the last week or so, it's been dry and occasionally touching above freezing, enough that all the salt and de-icers have had time to work, and all the roads are dry and clear. Well, mostly. Swinging around the onramp, there was one streelight that was out, just one . . . and that dark area held a small river of snow-melt from the warm-ish day, that had now frozen.

I only saw the slightly darker spot when the headlights hit them, and I thought I was far enough over to the left to miss it, but I wasn't. The bike went down surprisingly softly, none of the flick flick toss stuff that happens with highsides, and then it and I were siding along.

I'm not totally sure how it all happened, but I think the bike washed out and fell to the inside of the turn, and I came down sort of on top of it and hit the pavement with my forarm, rolling onto my back. Although I think I remember seeing the gauges as I was sliding along, so I'm not sure.

As it all happened, thought process and sequence of events was something like this:

*Bike starts to wash out*

Aw poo poo am I going to crash? Was that ice? gently caress I thought that was just water, the weather channel said it was still 33 degrees

*bike and I are sliding along the pavement*

Wow, going down was gentle. And yup, gently caress I'm crashing. Goddamit I just got this bike.

"Bike is now sliding on my legs, and as I'm sliding with it I'm wriggling around trying to kick it off me*

gently caress gently caress gently caress I don't want to break my legs gently caress gently caress ow my ankle

*keeps sliding, still trying to get out from under the bike*

dammit I hope no one saw me, I probably looked like an idiot wiping out at a granny speed on a gentle onramp. gently caress I hope if there's a car coming they DO see me

*bike and I finally stop sliding, I get my leg out from under it, and scramble to my feet. I have no idea if the bike is still running or not, but I dive for the kill switch anyway while glancing down the onramp to make sure there's no one coming, which there isn't*

Ah motherfucker.

I'm up, I'm moving, nothing's broken. Right ankle is a little sore, but doesn't hurt to move or put weight on, so I'm not worried. I pick the bike up and get it off the road to asses the damage. Looking it over, the saddle box took 90% of the slide, it's worn through on a corner and the rack is tweeked. The crash bar looks a little tweeked as well, but there's not a scuff on the fairing, all the controls are fine, with some scuffing on the hand guard. I snapped some pics with my phone, but I don't think any of 'em came out. Looking back up the road, I can see about 80 feet of silvery streaks along the pavement.

I text the girlfriend, let her know I'm okay, and briefly consider going back to the house, putting the bike in the garage, and taking the car up to Milwaukee. But see, that would have been the smart thing to do. And I'm not smart.

So I got back on it and road up to Milwaukee, into the arms of an anxious girlfriend.

I did the majority of the sliding on my back and side. There's some rashing on the shoulder and elbow, but most of the suit is just road grime.

Tore a chunk out of my boot, down to the steel toe cap. Goodby, waterproofness.

Chin bar on the helmet held fine, the latching and hinging mechinism still works and I don't think I actually hit it hard . . . but I know you're all going to tell me I have to replace it.

Another paint chip on the other side of the chin bar. Not sure if this was there before the wipeout, though.

Lessons learned: Maybe I should stop being so hardcore and riding in winter. Or at least, only riding in the daytime when I have a better chance of seeing random ice spots.

Also? Boots. loving real boots. I was LUCKY AS poo poo that I'm away from this without any sort of damage to my legs, as the majority of the slide had the bike on top of my ankles and shins. I've known I want real boots for a while now, but this doubly reinforces it. I'm broke at the moment, but gently caress it, this is going on the credit card and I'm getting rear end-raped on interest. Because I need real boots. Now.

And at least a CE-rated back pad thing for the suit. Right now all that's in the suit is the foam pad, and looking at the rubbings on the suit in the pattern of the back protector, I think it did a great job. Next time might not be so gentle, so I want something better protecting my spine.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
More pictures:

Left arm and shoulder of the suit took most of the actual damage. Along with a cat, who insisted on helping

Shoulder stiching came apart, unfortunetly. I can probably get it sewn back together, as the fabric itself seems to be in fine shape.

On to the bike, the right hard bag took most of the slide.

It's hard to see, but it is actually ground through. I could just epoxy it to preserve the weathertightness, but I might take it to a shop and see about getting it welded.

Even though it must have slid on the right crash bar as well, there's very little damage to it. There were already some minor scuffs on it from the PO dropping it a couple times in a parking lot, so really this is minor. Maybe this is the part of the bike that was resting on my leg during the slide

It did tweak the bars a good deal out of alignment though. I don't think I could easily bend them back into shape, so maybe I'll replace them once I stop being poor.

Box mounts got tweeked too. These I'm more confident I can bend back into shape.

blugu64 posted:

Ugh, sucks about the bike. Can those suits be reused after a crash?

I think so, as long as I get the shoulder stitched back together.

Doctor Zero posted:

Glad you're okay. And if you GF really wrote that, then she's a keeper.

Jabs posted:

If her response was within 12 miles of actually being this - she may just be a keeper. Because she's right, and she seems to appreciate that about you. =)

Yeah she's a special one alright. When I told her I had to go tell the internet about my crash, she was like "OMG Mine! I get to tell it my way first!". I decided it was so funny I had to post it :) I keep trying to get her to get an account here, but she's cheap and poor like I am.

Z3n posted:

I'm glad you're making the choice to pick up some real boots. Leather work boots will stop abrasion nicely, but aren't going to provide any ankle protection at all.

Yeah boots have been on my list of "first things to buy once I have a job again" for a long time, I've had some other sketchy incidents that put my ankles in peril. Nothing of this magnitude though. I'm poking around the Flea Market at ADV, hoping to find something good there.

Raven457 posted:

Does Nolan offer any sort of service where you can mail them the helmet and they test it to see if it's still safe to use? Maybe you could pick up a cheapie HJC or something while the Nolan is being mailed back and forth.

I'm not sure, I'll look into it. I do already have a $60 HJC that the main girlfriend, as well as the other girls use when going for rides, and it fits me okay so I can use it if I have to. I don't think there's a more effective first-date-pickup-line then "Hey, wanna go for a motorcycle ride?"

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 20, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

tardcore.

This shall be my new custom title when I feel like giving Lowtax some more money.

Z3n posted:

Want some boots?

gently caress yeah I can wear those. I usually wear a 46/11.5, but if you've used them they're probably already broken in and I should be able to make 'em work.

tsaven hat gmail

When the time comes, I'll either pay you for 'em, send 'em back, or send 'em on.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Wandering Idiot posted:

Dropped my V-Strom in a Kroger parking lot last night, only damage was the right front turn signal.

Get the turn signals off a Buell. No more breaking on drops :)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Tourances are pretty square and rock-hard tires, AFAIK. They're what I've currently got on my Wee, and I'm swapping them for some Continental Road Attacks for my upcoming track days and general lunacy/daily commuting. Stickier, and rounder.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I know this is the crash thread and I shouldn't be a mean jerk about your family, but I chuckled when I read that :\

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Whiteboy posted:

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

That's what the genius was wearing when the ER cut them off.

Are those . . . pink short shorts? :gay:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Saw a guy on a scooter get pushed into an intersection today.

He was sitting at the front of the line waiting for the light to turn, and some cuntbitch in an SUV was stopped behind him. The cross-traffic light turned yellow, and the oval office-bitch, probably anticipating the green, just drove right into the guy.

Seriously, just what the gently caress is wrong with these people? SHE WAS ALREADY STOPPED BEHIND HIM. She MUST have seen him when she came to a stop, otherwise she would have run over him then.

Anyway, the guy got flung backwards (or more the scooter was pushed out from under him) in a perfect simulation of ragdoll physics from any video game, but his Givi top box stopped him from going up onto the SUV's hood. He and the scooter then fell/slid off to the left and they both slid about ten feet into the intersection.

I was at the front of the line on the opposite side of the intersection on my V-Strom, and as soon as I saw it happen I immediately gunned it over to him, jumped off my bike, hit the kill switch on his scooter and made sure he was okay. He got up quickly and was PISSED AS gently caress, started cursing out the cuntbitch in the SUV, and I thought I and another bystander might have to hold him back from going after the dumb twat. He was mostly okay, though. Limping a little from where the scooter ended up on his left leg. He was wearing a 3/4 helmet, non-armored leather jacket, slacks and loafers.

I picked up his scooter and got it off the road, His Givi top case, and the tail lights on his scooter were all busted, not really a scratch on the lady's SUV.

The cops arrived ridiculously quickly, and I hung out with him for a few minutes while he calmed down and the cops took down all of our info. I shook his hand, he thanked me profusely for being there, and we exchanged many words and complaints about how we're invisible. He even told me he'd been admiring my bike at the moment that she hit him.

Snapped this as I was leaving. That's the driver of the SUV in purple sweater, talking to what may have been her passenger in the SUV. The scooter rider is the grey-haired fellow behind the SUV talking to the cop.

In summery: It's not "Just a scooter". And all the experience and defensive riding/training in the world can't save you from dumbshits. Wear your gear, kids, every time, no matter what you're on.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Doctor Zero posted:

Did she offer any kind of reasonable explanation or was she just an idiot?

Nope. Honestly I gave her a little bit of an earful too, but nothing I said could have matched the volume coming out of the guy that got hit. He was PISSED.

She was just standing there meekly going like "I'm sorry, I didn't see him . . .". HE WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Crayvex posted:

I've had this same thing happen in Ford Tempo and Jeep Liberty. The people behind me at a light saw movement and then just assumed they could move forward... RIGHT THROUGH MY CAR.

I really want to know what is going through the minds of these people. How can you possibly be that zoned out while driving, unless you're under the influence of something? I mean, do these people just go through their whole life in a daze?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Crashing your own bike is one thing. Crashing the girlfriend's bike? Now that's pretty stupid.

Even though I've got my '04 DL650 sitting right next to it in the driveway, I still gravitate to Modify_Evolution's streetfightered '05 Ninja 250 if I'm going out around town. Why? gently caress if I know.

Anyway, it wasn't anything serious. I was making a left turn on a green left turn arrow (actually making a u-turn) when I managed to lowside it. I've got no earthly idea how. I wasn't really leaned over, it was at perhaps 4mph, and I don't think an ex250 really has the power to spin out the rear tire on good pavement if I had done something dumb with the clutch. My best guess is that I hit a patch of gravel, or a tar strip, or something like that. The cheap, lovely, hard tires on the bike may have played a large factor as well.

Anyway, the rear of the bike slid out, I went down, and it I watch the bike pirouette away from me, sparks coming off the kickstand or centerstand.

Went over, picked it up, gave it a minute to let the gas drain back down into the carbs, started it and rode away in a cloud of shame. No real damage to the bike, but I did manage to rip up the brand-new Nelson Rigg saddlebags that she'd just put on the bike two days ago.

Little bit of rashing to the elbow on my jacket and on the ankle of my boots, other then that no discernible damage to me.

So, yeah. Hope I still get some nookie this week.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

modify_evolution posted:

I (inccorectly) assumed Tsaven knew what he was talking

Well that was dumb (but hey, as least I paid for my stupidity, and not you)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
From reading the wiki, they seem to only be recommending the ME880s for loaded, long-distance (10,000+ miles) touring.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Holy poo poo.

So . . . streetfighter time?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Bob Morales posted:

Also, why won't this thing start?

Check all the fuses, but I also wonder if one of the various safety switches (kickstand, neutral, clutch, etc) got dinged

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
It probably just spilled out of the overflow reservoir. Just make sure it's still within acceptable fill levels and you're fine.

If it actually did leak out of the cap, that's a problem. The cap should be sealed.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
poo poo, man. What gear were you wearing? How bad is the rash?

Glad your in one piece and came out of it without major things broken. How's the bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Just a quick post, I'll do a more detailed write-up later when the girlfriend isn't pawing at me to come to bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSov_3QFR6o

Lowsided it on damp pavement at Autobahn on Saturday. I'm fine, not even a scratch or bruise. Bike is in AMAZINGLY good shape. Badly bent handlebars (will need to be replaced), bent rear brake lever and passenger foot-peg, smashed plastic heat shield on the exhaust. Other then that it's almost without a scratch :iiam:

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 27, 2010

• Locked thread