Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
gently caress.

Last night went to a comedy club in Bellevue (I'm in seattle). Hopped on my bike with .5 of a drink left in my system. Started to drizzle without really raining, making everything slick as hell since it hadn't rained in a while. I was paranoid and nervous almost all the way home. Then, within 5 blocks of my house, a dipshit in a subaru changes lanes without signaling, I begin emergency braking, and the next thing I remember, I'm staggering off the road trying to find my head so I can take my helmet off.

Cop and firetruck stopped because there was a shooting going on at the college campus nearby (:wtc:), and a whole bunch of calling me 'chief' and 'big guy' ensued. Cop filed a report on my say-so which was nice of him.

Some nice guys were around to help me lug the thing up while I tried to figure out what was wrong with my hand.

Was wearing jeans and boot-like sneakers (they're somewhere in between, but good enough, as it turns out). Jeans weren't torn much, but I had jean-rash on my knees, and mesh-rash on my right forearm. Plus something bad happened to my left hand that I can't remember. Though it feels better now.

Bike still rides fine. Engine sounds fine. I rode it home, which I think the cop thought was stupid, but he was too nice to say anything. The right break pedal was bent to gently caress and had to be kicked into a more-or-less operable position.

I'm somewhat amazed that it wasn't worse while simultaneously being outrageously pissed. Gloves did alright, though I have a blood blister on my left hand.

oh, and the crystal on my watch popped/broke out but somehow it functions fine.

I have insurance--they're sending a vampire bat by next week to determine how much of their contract they intend to honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
hilarious.

half a drink at 265lbs didn't seem like much of a risk, and the ride was over 20 minutes, so it was out of my system by the time this happened.

I'm not actually dumber than poo poo, appearances to contrary.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
concussions are a loving pain in the rear end. Your brain isn't working right, and *knows* it, but somehow can't figure out why.

"gently caress! I've got to get off the road... whoa... I'm dizzy for some reason... Did I just hit my head? Man. That sucks. But why am I dizzy? Oh poo poo, curb! *trip*"

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
it's probably healing fairly well in any case. Deep wounds are dangerous if animal or plant matter is what penetrates you. Rock, metal, and glass are fairly inhospitable to bacteria when they're hanging out in the world, so you're less likely to have a problem.

Unless it was covered in poo poo.

It wasn't covered in poo poo was it?

You'll need a poo poo vaccine in that case.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
oh in that case you're fine.

Nothing can live in Arizona.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tsaven Nava posted:

Yup. It might suck to kill something so cute, but it's better then an off. I was somewhere in New York I think when a little chipmnk darted out from the side of the road and under my rear wheel. Little guy made a beeline for it like he was purposefully doing himself in. It happened absurdly fast, by the time I even thought about it, I felt the bump. Ah well :(

Oh, I will say this though: loving SWERVE FOR TURTLES.

moderate that. If your combined weight you + bike is over 750lbs, or so, the turtle is hosed beyond all measure, and you're better off treating it like a board.

I'm 265, and the bike is like 780 or so. And thank god, because some loving racoon jumped in front of me on the highway and it skull turned into paste.

yes, I'm making the logical leap that a racoon skull is similar to a turtle.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tsaven Nava posted:

It's not like it's going to dart left or right at the last second.

No, it's far more likely that it will face you head-on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY8_3HxxWwA

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Doctor Zero posted:

We can find the story sad without "getting all worked up over it."

Not to be a prick, but I don't know what's getting discussed here that pertains to the crash test thread.

Sad poo poo is sad. To most people. Unless it's not. Whatever. If there's a lesson to learn, it's that mexican donkeys are loving brutal, and impatience has no place on 2 wheels. Back protection posts are good, though I think that the pads people sell are an illusion of safety. The forces that compact or snap the spine (or any bone, for that matter) don't give a poo poo about some piece of plastic, or even metal on your body. That's why cars are cages and not suits of armor with wheels. Helmets are the best protective gear because their structure is outside your skull and can actually protect it. I haven't seen anything like a rigid breastplate that could prevent a spine injury being sold. Plus, the pain in the rear end problem with these kinds of accidents is that he can't tell us what happened, exactly to learn from it, since he had a concussion and lost that time.

Some precautions make sense, but some stuff you can't account for no matter how hard you try. We have our own ozymandius with the side-car thread in this forum. Luckily that turned out better. Sympathy is a separate subject from safety.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Get any steaks?

It should be tender now.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
in a weird parallel thing, when the shop that repaired my bike did so, they ordered the wrong part for a piece of fascia that was scratched. Apparently in years past it was a major structural piece, but in my year it was cheap bolt-on. Hooray for improvements. Anyway, their estimate was based on the other part, and insurance paid for it. I guess there's some sort of non-refundable thing going on, and long and the short of it is that I have 400 bucks of store credit to buy gear, get the bike serviced or quote 'whatever' unquote.

Anyway, you may run into similar unusual shop policies which work in your favor.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Jack the Smack posted:

Imagine if you applied the newbie crash to everything.

"Woo, got my first newb STD out of the way."
"Woo, got my first newb broken bone out of the way."
"Woo, got my first newb food poisoning out of the way."

"Woo, got my first aneurysm from someone being annoying on the internet out of the way."

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Raven457 posted:

Lane splitting looks like a great way to get sandwiched between two SUVs here in Austin, especially when they are full of idiotic FOOOTBAWL fans.

Are you implying something negative about the great state of Texas or the great sport of foootbawl?! :911:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tsaven Nava posted:

Eh, you end up with a pretty decent sixth sense about who's going to do something dumb, and who you can buzz past.

most of survival on a motorcycle is either moving too fast to accidentally hit, or too slowly to surprise, and knowing when to switch between those modes.

At least in texas the drivers are aggressive enough that they don't just dick around with their head up their rear end at randomly fluctuating speeds. You just have to count on them to run you over if you're in the way--which is way better than seattle drivers, who you can't be sure of, no matter what they're doing.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Doctor Zero posted:

If you have to remember, then you aren't going to be able to. If you take a martial art, you have to do a lot of falls in a controlled environment with padding to train your muscles to react differently so you can fall without hurting yourself.

Right. If you want to ride a ninja, you have to be a ninja.

also, nature's airbag is the best protection:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
is the color? they also come in green.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Blaster of Justice posted:

If you grow a slightly larger eye-mustache your forehead will be immune to impact next time you crash. Too bad about the bike though ;(

If your bike grows a fork-stache...

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

Sometimes the 2 go hand in hand ;)

tardcore.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Sounds like he should be thinking twice about riding at all..

is this the right approach? Maybe this should be a 'smoke the whole pack' kind of approach.

Lash him to his bike, completely nude, break the clutch cable, and tell him he can't come home until he's arrested or dead.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Crashed tonight. Saw frost on my car's windshield. Don't know why I ignored it.

Gave my triumph too much gas as I came out of a right turn on to a main drag. Went sideways for a few feet and then the bike went over. Fairing damage. Shifter and rider/passenger pegs ripped off. Left handlebar bent. Rideable. Took it home in first gear.

Helmet seems reuseable. No lost time.
Still annoying.

nothing more embarassing than a sub 20 mph throttle mistake.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Kommando posted:

ive never broken a bone before and its been two days.

im loving over this whole cast thing. back to normal plz. never noticed how much i move my toes. osteo is gonna hate me.

Gnaw it off and replace it with a swing arm!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Saga posted:

never got insurance details

not having proof of insurance.

I don't understand.

I don't understand either. If she didn't have proof, how could he get details?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Endless Mike posted:

She could *have* insurance, just not have the card on her. (Not likely, but possile.)

Well I thought that, possibly, but I don't know poo poo about my insurance. It's allstate, I think, but other than knowing my own name and that fact, I don't know anything else, really.

Where am I?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Mr Clownfish posted:

You need to stop teleporting.

Actually, I think what we're seeing is that she failed to develop through the psychological stage of object permanence. As the brain develops, we eventually learn that, just because we can't see something, doesn't mean it stops existing. This is why babies sometimes cry when they lose sight of their parents.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

needknees posted:

Truth. When I ate poo poo at an MX track I knew SOMETHING was up, but didn't figure I broke anything. I even went out and did another session later in the day. The next day when my ribs were popping constantly I figured it was time to go to the doctor :downs:. Yep, snapped one in half and separated a couple from my sternum. GO ME

Wasn't the treatment just 'try not to do anything involving your ribs for a while'? Or did they actually wire the broken one?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ephphatha posted:

Fastest way to piss someone off in this town is to filter past them while they're stuck in rush minute traffic in the CBD.

/\/\/\ Holy god people are weird. There's an on ramp a couple minutes from where I used to live--a huge interchange deal that people park on in the morning for no other reason than being spectacularly incompetant at merging. I lanesplit (I know it's not ok, but it's parked cars, and the commuter lane is totally empty *every* single time--there's no downside to me getting through the parking lot and on my merry way in my own lane on the other side) and at least *two* motherfuckers deliberately wiggled around in the 3 feet of space they had to try to squish me.

Passive Aggressive northwesterners.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Saga posted:

It is OK, it's just not legal in your jurisdiction! And yeah, they're being dicks. Because they obey all traffic laws, right?

They maliciously tried to kill me. That's a proportional response in your mind to someone causing no threat or inconvenience whatsoever, except in some kind of abstract world where, if someone gets away with something then god turns his eyes from your land and your crops wither?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Doctor Zero posted:

And despite sticking his foot in his mouth and being asked "So you would try to murder someone just because they were lane splitting" he wouldn't back down. :jerkbag:

And then there was the guy who claimed he raced and beat motorcycles in his stock Miata.

Maybe he meant the army diesel.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

The thing that frustrates me about that argument is that nothing is stopping anyone from riding a motorcycle. If you are capable of driving a car, you are capable of riding a motorcycle. There's a whole group of people out there who are dedicated riders with assorted physical disabilities.

I don't think this is true. Yes, it's in the realm of possibility, but you can be 3 sheets to the wind stoned and drunk and drive for years before it catches you (not that I advocate it, just that there's a pile of hammered people in pickups streaming out of bars every night, but not a consistent smoking pile of wreckage near aforementioned bars), just because a car is a big stable, heavy thing that can slide around and doesn't care about your posture much in comparison to the whole vehicle. You can even afford to get hit by someone if you're the dumbass who's nominally in 'front' since as far as everyone is concerned, it's the fault of the person who ran into you if you're facing vaguely away from them. It's even true, which just means you can be pretty physically aggressive with your car and people have to give way.

You can't half rear end riding a bike. Even completely sober alot of people wipe out more than once over basically nothing. It's not a great value proposition. At least half the reason I got into it was because I thought it was more involving and required more skill and care than driving a car (which was getting boring--especially with all the speed traps). I get that it's not a realistic option to tell people 'if you don't like it, give up power, safety, and comfort to get persecuted just like you're doing to me'.

It's just a prisoner's dilemma, except the people in the cages are in control.
:fry:

heh. K. I'm done.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Sure. But it's a fundamental mechanism of human nature. The natural tyranny of talent (and I'm not claiming I'm ultra talented, but, in the abstract, the reactions of a child drunk on beer could conceivably be equivalent to the reactions of a 70 year old--and there is enough variation between people that two identical adults could have the same disparity in their competence at dealing with a vehicle--they can get away with it in a car, and not on a bike (past some certain arbitrary threshold--you get my point)) can create an upside down world where its the majority's interest to marginalize the exceptional and employ all the tools that people use to push down and consume minorities.

Like it's not childish. It's actually universal and impossible to fix. One of the reasons the upper classes engages in this bullshit mindwar about 'class warriors' being commie pinko whackjobs, is because, at any moment, if the greater population could really nail down the wealthy as a monolithic group, and recognize their difference and numerical advantage, they'd lose all the permission they have right now that allows them to lead ludicrously opulent lifestyles (subsidized by the majority).

On a bike, you never make it more obvious how different you are than when you do something that a car can't do. What's funny is that, even given that there is a real power-differential here, it's always the minority who gets hosed--for instance, bus drivers and semi drivers are always pissed at how much they get hosed with by cars. They get cut off or prevented from changing lanes, until they have to force the issue, and then the car plays the victim.

I think 'pretend you're invisible' cuts both ways. Count on being impossible to see, and do your best not to be noticed too much, or you might trigger an rear end in a top hat episode.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Desertfox621 posted:

About 15 MPH. I got chucked off a good bit. Neither of them spoke English well...and when the police arrived they tried to blame it on me. They said "He was coming from the (perpendicular street) and shot right in front of us. I just about said "Liar!"...but the cop pulled me aside and said "Don't worry...it's pretty obviously their fault..." Physically though, leathers and helmet did their job!

Thank goodness for cops who know the score. Man.

Glad you got away unscathed. That rear ending poo poo is scary. Between being punted into traffic or used as a ramp there aren't alot of good ways to go.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

infraboy posted:

found out the class was canceled because the instructor was sick :argh:

Man. Isn't that always the way?

Glad you didn't get hurt.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Clearly George Carlin's 'anyone who drives faster than you is a maniac, and anyone who drives slower than you is an rear end in a top hat' applies, here.

I don't like moderation for the sheer hell of it, but I think, whatever it takes to not crash is fine, and whatever you get away with is what you can get away with. Natural selection isn't much of a guideline, but I find it comforting.

Plus I can have false pride about surviving buying my triumph.

currently in the shop to replace a broken foot peg bracket.

Uh. It. Fell down the stairs.

again.

clumsy triumph.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

KARMA! posted:

Oil? I hope you're not talking about mold-release.

He's talking about the tea oils that tire dealers often rub on their product to offer an enticing essence of lilac or cedar to potential customers who, after all, in shopping for the right tire, have very little to differentiate their product and make it 'pop'.

Another approach is pin cinnamon or cloves to the sidewall to offer a autumnal experience, both for the customer and the mechanic who mounts and balances the tire. It's critical to remove these pins, however, because when leaned over, they can drive all the way through and cause a puncture.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

KozmoNaut posted:

I'll second that.

I'm from Europe and my posts suck.

I think as americans, we often forget that our sucking came from a proud tradition of sucking that came from Europe, Africa, and Asia. We're a melting pot, and no matter how our unusual culture has succeeded in bringing together sucking from all over the world, we have to remain aware of how people were sucking for 1000s of years before us, and never forget their sacrifices in OH HEY this is a thread about crashing:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/newsandupdates/european_motorcycle_crash_study/index.html
http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?pagename=News&action=display&content=D74601B1-CF1B-F812-3A0A505FA8383611

Oh god the harlemanity

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I don't know you guys. I feel like that damage is terrifying and has an emotional and psychological toll that can barely be measured.

I think Skreemer may need to get two Bandit GTs and wear them like roller skates just to recover the peace of mind brutally taken from him.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I know this sucks, glad you're ok, but believe me, this is AWESOME because you just crashed without super major damage, and next time you can think 'well poo poo, worst case scenario, I scratch that big metal bar again'.

Except for the mirror, obviously.

Think about how much fun you're having. THINK ABOUT IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Looks like a friction burn, probably just from rubbing on the jacket's liner/armor.

Another crash caused by masturbation. How many times have I told you guys--you have to pick a bike that vibrates at a frequency which doesn't stimulate your prostate, and if it does, for the love of god get a seat that dampens it so you can concentrate.

Why do you think harley riders never use the front brake?!

• Locked thread