Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Methusulah posted:

Overall, I came out ok. As soon as I got home I ordered some textile pants from newenough to go with the jacket. I feel if I had been going faster I would have ripped through my jeans and had to go to the hospital. I'm glad I got the back protector, well worth the extra 40 bucks. My boots held up well, better than my other wreck.

My only worries are mechanical problems on the bike and my helmet. The bike starts ok, but with the clutch being hosed up I don't really want to ride it. I pushed it home, and it seems to shift ok. The clutch doesn't quite have the pull it did and feels like it shifts roughly. Being bent, i'm guessing it just doesn't move as far as it should. My helmet, well. I can't remember if I hit my head or not. I only see scratches it's already had from before. Should I be concerned?

1. How fast were you going?

2. Get a new helmet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
Derailing the ozymandias discussion for a minute, here is a near-crash story that left my heart slamming for the next hour:

It was about 8:00 PM or so here in B-more and just about dark. There was a rain starting and I was riding my bike from the gym back to my office to try and wait it out. I slowed gradually and kept checking my mirror as my left-hand turn approached--I am always scared of getting slammed if I am not at a light or stop sign (still scared at those, but less so). Anyway, the road is Charles street and it's a stretch where people typically do 50-55 despite the speed limit being 35. I'm guilty of this too but it is a little hairy pulling out/turning on the bike. As I am slowing to turn, I see the car directly behind me slow appropriately and feel relieved. If the guy behind me slows, I can't get rear-ended. Traffic in the opposite lane clears and as I start to turn I hear an explosion directly behind me. Some bitch on a cell phone in a sedan slammed the guy behind me at full speed. I realized after I thought about it for a second I didn't even hear her skid--she never touched her brakes. I was shaking as I pulled into the college. Made me question riding for five or so minutes.

I am not really sure what I could have done to avoid that accident? I guess I would be dead?

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

iroc_dis posted:

Really the only gear loss is the helmet. Luckily I'm friends with the manager of the local Cycle Gear and he usually hooks me up on good prices for stuff. I'll probably replace this RF1k with another RF1k, or depending on the deal maybe bump for an RF1100.

I could be wrong about this, but I am pretty sure that your new helmet should be courtesy of the blind mfer's insurance.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Becktastic posted:

But it's -pretty-! :swoon:

I found a cheap replacement on ebay but they shipped me the wrong side! Let me keep it though, so now I have an extra...which is extremely good because I fall a lot and yeah, they break easily.

My dad and uncle are welders though and they are going to try and make some shroud/crash bars to replace the plastic with lightweight but strong metal. We shall see!

The logic of this was also lost on me... I guess they are marketing to the crowd that wants to do more dualsport touring?

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

blugu64 posted:

So I wasn't really going to post this, as I'm pretty embarrassed about the whole deal, but I figure that someone else might learn from my (admittedly stupid) example. I crashed. Only had gloves (I don't really remember), I had some personal problems that day, and was pretty distracted. Great day for a ride, right? I think I was just going to take it around the block. I got the 250 started and was putting around the parking lot warming it up, I'm not sure what happened to be honest but I remember going down. Couldn't have been going more then 5-10mph in all honesty, didn't even break any skin, but I hit my head. Hard. I really can't remember anything from about a week before that, to two or three after that. My speech was slurred for several weeks, and my friends told me I kept walking into the walls. I broke my fifth finger, and am still in physical therapy and can't move it fully yet.

I've been off the bike for several months due to my hand, and can't wait to get back on. Didn't do too much damage to the bike either! Broken fairing and blinker so I should be back on two wheels soon, I can't wait! Seriously though, always wear your loving helmet, even when you're just putting around in a parking lot. poo poo happens, so just do it.

That is intense and I wish you well in your recovery. Just for the record, you were wearing a full helmet? Were there any witnesses to acquire the story from?

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Wandering Idiot posted:

tires are bald

cheaper to fix this than keep fixing drops

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Primo Itch posted:

Why? Was it only a matter of too much brake ? Could be, it wasn't the most light braking ever... But them one of the passerby that helped me get the bike up point back and says "you hit some oil" and there it was, a small oil patch just where i hit the ground.

you probably had your front tire turned at least slightly. I remember nearly dropping the bike once or twice during MSF when I didn't straighten it perfectly. Oil should have just kept you sliding, not thrown you to the ground.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

bengy81 posted:

Friday I was riding to work and stalled out at a light, and got rear-ended by a little Toyota truck. I had the bike in neutral so I got really lucky and I was able to keep my bike up, and not eat any pavement. Anyhow the rear-fender, lights, and the seat are toast, and the frame is bent, so I am going to go ahead and say the bike is going to be written off as a salvage.
I have never had to deal with insurance on a bike so I am wondering what exactly to expect. My bike is a sweet (old and rusty) yamaha XS750. I am not expecting to get a whole lot out of it, I think I will poo poo myself with happiness if I get more than $800 for it, but I haven't seen any comparable condition 750s for less than $1000.
Do they take that kind of stuff into consideration? I don't feel very attached to the bike, I just want to be able to replace it or have enough money to fix it.

I'm with BlackMK4 on this--insurances is going to try and gently caress you dry on this one. I would try to claim every possible thing you can... Did it scuff your shoes? Did you bash your helmet on your handlebars? etc...

I mean, obviously don't commit fraud. But go for the throat on this one because my guess is that the book value on your bike is going to be jack poo poo.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

needknees posted:

Basically it comes down to me not being loose on the bars. It was a perfect storm of small poo poo that by itself or a couple things that went bad wouldn't have been an issue at all. But the amount of things that piled up and their timing led to the crazy tankslapper.

Whatever the actual cause, watching that video made me feel downright panicky. I am both extremely impressed and extremely glad you managed to save one ugly moment. Kudos.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
I was really hoping to not add anything to this thread... ever.

My main injury is to my right hand so the typing is gonna be succinct.

Basically, I was out riding with my buddy on this glorious day and came a little too fast into a descending right-hand curve I had never ridden before. I target-fixated and under-steered in my panic, tried to straighten up and stop but ran out of road. My front tire hit the small gravel bank and I was plastic down in an instant. Overall, I think it was pretty minor but still unsettling.

The turn that got me (looking from the opposite direction)

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Skid marks where I slid:

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Damage to me:

Mr Balloon Hand:

Damage to Suzie the Suzuki:

I think it is all cosmetic except for my right hand which hurts like a bitch. I sincerely hope none of my little bones are broken (I don't think they are).

I would estimate my speed at impact to be 20 MPH +/- 5. My gear is pretty much unmarked, very light scuffing on the shoulder of my leather jacket. My helmet never touched anything so thankfully I don't have that expense to worry about.

My main concern at this point is that something important (i.e. my forks) were bent in the fall... Is this a valid concern? Is there any way to check for sure? I had it up to 60-65 on the ride home afterward and didn't notice anything unusual.

The handlebars were already bent, I have replacement renthals sitting on my desk for whenever I have the energy--glad I waited to put them on.

More than anything it is frustrating and I feel like a huge scrub--this was probably the world's most avoidable single-vehicle accident.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

Curse me for getting a deal on the jacket, though. :v:

You might not have to provide your purchase price, they should pay you market rate for your gear--find the most expensive listing of the jacket at a reputable site and don't submit your receipt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'm certainly glad I slowed down, although I wish I'd taken it more seriously and actually checked the ground better for the source of the problem. Also of course I'm sure a more seasoned rider could have managed to keep the rubber side down despite the oil slick, but at least now I'm a little more prepared for that situation.

you wrecked her already? :-(

Glad you are ok, though. Where did this giant oil slick happen? I'd like to avoid it.

• Locked thread