Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Well, I crashed my ZRX last night.

I wish I could say it was because of POWAAAA or tyres or what have you, but it wasn't. I was riding home from work at about 6:30pm so it was fully dark but it was still essentially rush-hour traffic on the motorway. I was doing about 70km/h being super extra careful and not riding like a dong at all because of how heavy the traffic was and because I did some stupid poo poo on the way to work and didn't want to tempt fate. The irony is not lost on me.

I went to change lanes from the center lane to the fast lane in a totally normal and sedate manner, and it turns out (i found out later) that there is an immense diesel slick on that very patch of lane. As soon as I entered the lane the front just instantly lowsided and I slid on my back for a few meters with the bike skidding off ahead of me. It's a testament to how slowly I was going that there is no damage to my gear at all, I just have a small hole in my backpack.

Turns out crash bungs are worth their weight in gold, mine wore halfway through before the engine cover (it landed on the left side thank gently caress) started getting grazed up. The bikini fairing and instrument housing are toast, the clutch lever is entirely usable but the end knob bit is worn halfway through. My lovely aftermarket bars look like someone chopped the last inch off with an angle grinder, and there is a chipless dent on the tank where the bars were rammed into it.

Afterward someone helped me pick it up and I rode it to a safe area. A cop showed up and after I sat in his car giving him a report and talking poo poo about bikes for about half an hour, a crew showed up with a spill kit, cordoned off the lane and started cleaning it up so there's that I guess.

I don't know what I could have done differently aside from just not being there at all, and it seems incredibly unfair that my brand new (to me) shiny fantastic bike is now scarred up to the tune of several hundred dollars just from blind bad luck. I haven't learned anything, I don't see how I could at all change my riding or technique or whatever to avoid this happening again because it was night time and the spill was impossible to see. So I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Engine cover and bars aren't that a big deal, and the bikini fairing is fixable I think. My main concern is the tank, is it possible to get a dent out of a tank paintlessly? Or would I have to shell out to get the entire thing re-painted?

edit: it's about an inch across and only a couple of millimeters deep, there is no paint damage at all but it looks bloody unsightly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

THE GREATEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN

I love it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

taketheshot posted:

I did grab crash pics at the scene on my phone but I somehow managed to have my finger blocking half the shot in all of them :(

These photos brought to you by: post-accident shock!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

So today I had babby first low speed (10-15mph) lowside.

OK, I was getting out of work and on my way out of base I have to make a slight right turn that's usually covered in sand. Now this not the first time I have taken this curve, but most of the time I do it with a consistent throttle and I don't lean too aggressively. Well today I had a loving horrible throttle control, went to the curve a little bit faster than I usually do and leaned a bit more aggressively. So the bike gingerly deposits me on the asphalt and we both slide on it for a bit.

Afterwards I hit the kill-switch, stand up the bike on my own power, a motorcycle riding co-worker follows me for a bit in order to make sure everything is alright and I get home safely. I am OK as I was wearing my full leathers, boots, gloves and helmet, On the motorcycle the frame slider and the muffler took the brunt of the damage on her but its otherwise fully functional.

Oh well its an excuse to buy new gloves :v:

Edit: Pictures

This guy deserves a loving gold star for saving everything else. Good job!

Well, that sucks. Your exhaust saved you a HUGE amount of grief, it's much uglier of you drop it on the left instead. I suspect your mirror stopped the handlebar touching the ground, too. Lucky, as far as crashing a huge naked bike goes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mayor Poopenmayer posted:

Second day riding and I've crashed my 99 CB250 Nighthawk already :blush:
Approached a T intersection and there was already a car stopped, so i started to slow down (probably slowed down too late)
Front wheel locked for a second and the road surface just ripped straight up underneath me
I was leaning to the left a little to go up the left side of the car (he was turning right) so the front end washed out and i ended up going left side down
Luckily I was only doing about 20-30kmph, so not too much damage was done
A bit of a ding to the speedo housing, tiny scratch to the front fender, shifter needs replacing, left front indicator needs replacing, small scratch on the exhaust, left foot peg bracket needs bending back a little and the headlight surround and bucket need replacing
Damage to me is only a 2 inch wide bit of minor gravel rash and a sore hip
My Draggin Jeans (Australian Brand) are toast, tore through the denim and kevlar :(
Don't think I'll buy another pair, might look around for some textile pants that come in fatty sizes with short legs

Aw crap and draggin are meant to be the best you can get in AUS/NZ. If they can't handle a 30km/h spill I guess I won't be buying them like I planned. Your crash was not in vain, this nugget of information may some day save my legs!

Regardless that doesn't sound too major. Was the road wet? What do you think you did wrong, aside from braking too late?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Splizwarf posted:

I have an old man car that debuted in 1986 with 4-wheel discs. There is absolutely no redeeming value in drum brakes, even though plenty of cars still have 'em in the rear. Speaking as a both a tech and a private concerned citizen, gently caress drum brakes forever.

Yup. I love it when people trot out that hoary old argument about the supposed simplicity and cheaper cost and all that garbage. It's all bullshit. They aren't even cheaper to make anymore, not when 90% of vehicles have discs everywhere. It's purely a marketing ploy to make the base model of x vehicle appear lovely compared to the better-specced varieties.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

I bet they are cheaper to make when you're using the same machinery that you paid off in 1978 to make them.

No. Stop and really think about it: is it cheaper to have one factory that makes every part, or have the factory split up with a small portion making the lovely old part, with entirely different tooling, with workers who have to be trained differently and different maintenance costs on the machinery and a different supply of blanks and so on. Logistically they are more expensive.

Marketing is the only reason. And I guess looks on some cruisers?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Are you a manufacturing engineer/consultant? I'd be interested to hear about how this works.

I'm not in that part of the automotive industry but I have a friend who is; I've picked his brains on numerous occasions and most of it really works totally differently to the way I thought it did. When I talk to him again I'll ask him about the nuts and bolts of it.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'd argue that drum brakes (on a car) are better than discs if you live somewhere that gets snow and salt and poo poo cause that makes your rear calipers seize like every loving year, unlike the mostly protected mechanism of the drum. Some (I wont say all, but I wouldn't be surprised) car brands here recommend that you take apart your rear brakes to clean the guide pins and push the piston in and out a couple of times every year to prevent it from seizing. Four wheel drum brakes was the best thing on my Volvo Duett (until you actually had to service them).

I get the feeling this is why hilux, navara, triton etc all retain rear drums even on the big 4WD models but it still seems pretty thin.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

It's a parking brake, not an emergency brake.

In what emergency situation would you want to pull the hand brake?

The emergency is when the normal brakes don't work. That's why even bikes with linked brakes have two physically separate circuits because having redundant brakes is mandatory above a certain size vehicle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Yeah but that's not what it's for. It's for parking.

Uh...yes that is what it's for? As I just stated. It's helpful and useful and good for parking but that isn't what it's for, despite the name. Do you really think that with sophisticated automatic cars, which are able to lock the brakes on using esc when the car is switched off, anyone would put in a separate parking brake which is inferior to the other two systems holding the car still? The only reason any manufacturer builds them at all is because a completely separate braking system is legally mandatory.

Legalities are also the reason manufacturers have to jump through hoops when it comes to brake by wire and steer by wire.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Someone hurry up and crash already!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

You're still confused. It's a parking brake. It's primary function is being a brake to hold the vehicle while parked. You can use it in an emergency but that's not what it's for.

Ok. How can I articulate this.

The only, only reason your car has a parking brake (unless it's a manual) is the legal requirement stipulating a secondary braking system in basically every new vehicle market on the planet. It's primary function is to meet that legal requirement. It happens to be really great for parking, too. It's called a parking brake, but there are lots of things that are called something unrelated to their purpose.

I also haven't crashed my bike so I'll desist from posting about this in this thread now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Low-sided today.

On my bicycle. Went to go around a speed bump and the front end washed out on some gravel. For some reason this has convinced to buy some replacement riding pants that I'll actually wear on the motorbike.

How many gears? Alloy or steel frame? This is important!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

One thing I find insane about you bike dudes is how much you put into a vehicle with no engine. I know a guy with a $4000 road bike and as I understand it that's not even top of the line. That is stupid crazy.

I agree, I haven't owned a pushbike since I was 14 :)

I've actually wondered about why cyclists don't wear some sort of protective gear. I'm not saying leathers or whatever but knee and elbow pads seem like a good idea if you're planning on doing 50km/h on something with flinstones braking/acceleration.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Took a nastier digger than I am used to on the DRZ400 today, I went to bump over a curb and decided to pop a little wheelie before hitting it. When the rear tire hit it endo'd more than I was expecting, throwing me chest first into the handlebars (hooray Stryker vest!) and then tossed me off where I hit the ground on my back, smacking the back of my head on the grass HARD (hooray helmet!)

Total damage is I've felt fuzzyheaded since, and the back of my head feels a little sore. I somehow bruised my thumb, and my forks were twisted in the triples. Thankfully now I am an expert at fixing that so it literally took five minutes, counting finding my wrenches. Not stoked about hitting my head, though I've taken harder hits to the dome (a nasty skateboarding incident left me seeing green for five minutes) it's something I could have done without.

I can't tell if all supermotos are like a soft crash simulator, or it's just you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

fingerling posted:

Alright, this isn't a crap per se, but a follow on from my crash this time last year. So, as I was pretty out of it on opiates when I was last in here, here's a run down on what I broke:
  • 7 vertebrae, 2 in my neck
  • 6 or 7 ribs, I forget
  • broke my jaw in two places, on my chin, and my mandible (the part that connects to just by your ear)
  • my nose in 3 places (I now have a scar that runs through my right eyebrow, to just beneath my left nostril)
  • right scaffoid (it's basically a little bone in your wrist that takes a fuckoff long time to heal)
  • knocked out both of my front teeth, and the first one to the right of the middle ones
  • degloved my left knee, and smashed it up pretty good (more scars, yay)
  • punctured both my lungs. Sweet, sweet rib-lung action!
  • some internal bleeding, damage to my kidneys and liver (from drugs, and trauma), and slight brain damage (I actually use this as a joke now)

How this has affected me.. massively. Basically, for the first few months, I wanted to kill myself. Between looking like complete poo poo, with a swollen and scar covered face, to barely being able to move or tie my shoe-laces, it was a close call to be honest. I've come pretty far since then, I still have pretty negative spells, but I try to think of the relative positives (yes, I could still be needing a nurse to help me to go the toilet - by being a quadriplegic).

I had the accident in the start of July, the 3rd. I was given the all clear to go to the gym, albeit carefully, on Australia Day (26th of January, 2013), and have been working pretty steadily since then. I started with struggling to do 5kg dunbell curls, (pre accident I was doing ~20kg), and now am back up to 17.5s. At the start, running was a strain on my back, I have mild scoliosis in the centre of my back now, but it isn't getting any worse, so that's something I guess. I'm still pretty angry that I can't go to the gym and do whatever I want, as I now have to think about how it'll effect me later on, be that tomorrow or years from now. Both of my shoulders were 'lightly' damaged, so I'm guessing I stuck my arms out when I hit, and probably popped them both in and out, as they enjoy doing this now. This means I have to work on my rotator cuffs to try to hold them both in.

The rotator cuffs could also be an effect from the breaks in my neck. Because of the pressure on my spinal cord, parts of the upper portion of the left side of my body were numb for many months after the accident. Even now, I either can't feel my collar bones, or around the numbness, they're ridiculously sensitive. My left arm, while technically nothing was wrong with it, felt worse than my right. If anything is lightly glided along it (just touching the hairs, for example), it physically hurts. They're all peculiar sensations, and I've had to think about how to explain it to people when I grimace when they hug or touch me.. I guess along with the rest of my breaks.

Because one of the people I moved in with turned into a massive jerk and left me to pay more than my portion of the rent, I had to go back to work early. Before I was ready, to be honest. This, while in normal circumstances wouldn't be a bad thing if it were a desk job, is for me. I work security, and was reinstated with my old company. Within the first year I've kind of found out how it will be for the rest of my life, which is an incredibly sobering thought. Since they'd changed names for tax purposes, I had to 'apply' to an employment agency, who after conferring with their HR, decided they "couldn't employ someone with your past injuries". This wasn't only because of the industry I work in, this was because it was a back injury, and it was a 'risk' for their insurance. Now, I have absolutely no problem with this, I totally understand it from a financial point of view, but it still kind of scares me that I've run into this road block this early, with another 30+ years of work ahead of me.

I'm massively self conscious. I can't tell if I was this much prior to my accident, but I doubt it. There's something about knowing at this very moment, most of the people I'm talking to aren't as.. crippled as I am makes me feel like poo poo. Because of the damage to my jaw (and the surgeons messing up when they put the metal plates in) I have crooked teeth now. Pre-accident I had perfect teeth. Now, I have to wear a plate for my front three teeth, and, as if that weren't bad enough, now braces. I can't wait to be able to smile again, and not have to think about how much I hate even opening my mouth.

Hopefully this didn't because too E/N, but I wanted to write this a little while ago, but never got around to it. I literally never heard from the guy that caused it. I'd planned on going and seeing him on the anniversary, but decided against it (people take me as relatively intimidating). Let me know if you've got any questions or anything vis-à-vis recovery or dealing with everything. I still can't wait to get back on a bike.. but I would be lying if I didn't say this had changed it for me.

Jesus, this is terrible. How did you crash/who caused it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Accidents like that are another reason it makes me really unhappy lane splitting isn't legal in most of the US. When you don't do it all the time, you don't naturally see that particular out and it's definitely saved me a few times when I had a lapse in attention.

Yup. Several times I've had a sudden stationary queue appear in front of me on the highway, only to have the guy in front pretend he's schumaher and swerve violently instead of braking, leaving me travelling at 100km/h staring at the back a stationary car. Lots of brakes+aiming to the side of the car saves the day every time. I've never even been close to rear-ending a car on a bike despite riding like a dong.

Splitting is legal in my country.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Wait what?
You salted your knee?

Tastes good man.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Can confirm this. My last wreck was basically the exact same thing and upon close examination of the helmet there were tiny scratches and a bit of a dent in the foam inside. You may have bounced it off the ground and not noticed, because it did its job successfully.

Also in mine I got her insurance info and they paid (6 months later after losing in the subrogation process to the 800 lb gorilla of State Farm).

Thats also why I'll probably never buy a bike without ABS again.

This is a stupid line of reasoning; lots of people are able to stop on a bike in a hurry and not fall. Just getting bikes with ABS doesn't fix the problem. Especially seeing as 35mph isn't exactly a blistering speed to stop from.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never done that, so I guess it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Even in the most unexpected scenarios, cars seem to move in slow-motion and I always have ample time to apply the brakes and avoid hitting the car or lowsiding. This has been the case both on bikes with extremely strong brakes and ones with terrible, barely working single-disc brakes.

It seems dumb to me to rule out buying the overwhelming majority of bikes because they don't have ABS.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I never said it's a bad thing, I'm saying that having a low-speed, relatively avoidable accident then saying "Thats also why I'll probably never buy a bike without ABS again." is a faulty line of reasoning.

Drifter posted:

If you aren't doing braking exercises either way you're going to be poo poo outta luck. I'v enever had ABS on a bike and I can totally see how it might be useful, but if you mash the front brake thinking ABS will save you then you aren't going to be saved.

Drill.

What he said.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Last summer on the SV I locked the front twice (locked, released, reapplied and locked it again) while not rear-ending a BMW that decided he just had to stomp on the brakes on the freeway. Now that's threshold braking right there. Also threshold prairie dogging it.

I'm amazed you managed this at all, the SV I owned had brakes too lovely to do this, unless it was raining.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

This was on dry asphalt.

IIRC you had a blue 2003. Which is coincidentally the same as mine (except mine is an S), so I don't know what to tell you? Practice more threshold braking? ;)

˅˅˅˅˅ Yes, but these are both blue bikes!

Nah I was meaning mine was unable to lock the front brakes to begin with. It was old and hosed and I didn't like it, so I'm not fussed.

Z3n posted:

Stock SV everything-except-the-engine are notoriously hit or miss,

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe I didn't try hard enough. By the end of my tenure I was pretty brutal with that bike though; I'm honestly amazed I didn't even have any near-misses, let alone crash, considering how few fucks I gave about giving it a beating irrespective of tyre temp, engine temp, circumstances or basically anything. It had 60-odd thousand km's so it was probably a hosed master.

That reminds me: the owner's manual for my zx-10 claims I should rebuild the master cylinder every (I think) 48,000 km's. Is this actually necessary, or is it the manufacturer just being insanely over-cautious like they always are?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The one time I had to brake in a hurry in the rain (idiot pulled out across traffic) and I used my rear brake, it was on my 919 and it caused the rear to fishtail wildly. I then reproduced the same braking from the same speed in the rain, using only the front brake, and nothing bad happened at all.

In my experience, the bigger the (non-cruiser) bike is, the more useless and skid-inducing the rear brake seems to be. On my girlfriend's RG150 I used the front and rear basically 50/50. On the other end of the scale, I only use the rear on my zx-10 at walking pace and for staying stopped at intersections. Across the bikes I've ridden it seems to be reasonably straight correlation as you go up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Alright, maybe I didn't phrase it correctly. I don't lock the rear wheel instantly, I'm perfectly capable of modulating the rear brake. It just seems basically useless when I'm braking really heavily because the rear of the bike wants to lift off the ground; any additional braking I can extract from the rear before it starts to lock is practically useless. If I'm not braking like a lunatic, the front brakes are more than sufficient.

nsaP posted:

I watched a Twist of the Wrist

:confused:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sucks dude. The emotional agony of self-hatred you're undoubtedly experiencing will act as a burning brand on your ego, hopefully one painful enough to stop you doing it again :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

article posted:

Stuart Lennard from the Tasmanian Motorcycle Council says it is a tragedy.

Stuart Lennard is either the greatest saint Australia has ever known, or he's secretly glad these dumb cunts have removed themselves from the gene pool, and trying to damage control things because it happened to happen in his state.

I struggle to imagine how anyone who knows anything about riding bikes can think of this as a 'tragedy' as opposed to being relieved no bystanders were killed or hurt.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In NZ it's an endless competition of one-upmanship between speeding and drunk driving. You can actually see the funding for the PSA's swing back and forth seasonally.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

http://www.ridermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/twist-of-the-wrist-no-slide-bike1.jpeg

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jesus that sucks. I hope she cried.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know how to use roundabouts. I crashed my GL145 today at the heady speed of 30km/h while racing a BMW 630i. I entered the roundabout (in a low-traffic industrial area) too quickly and the 20 year old front tyre said NOPE. Bike slid for a few meters, the only visible damage that wasn't already there is a scraped up foot peg. Only damage to me is some slight scuffing on my jacket shoulder and a friction burn on my elbow the size of a beer bottle cap.

I learned that lovely old bias ply tyres really are lovely, that lovely old bikes really are lovely, and that there's no point in thrashing the bike equivalent of a Daihatsu mira.

This was also the first crash I've had that didn't involve enormous psychological trauma and "OH poo poo I JUST hosed MY NICE BIKE I'M AN IDIOT!". The first thing through my mind was "I hope I haven't hurt myself!" followed by "I hope this turd starts up and gets me to work."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The profiles on this thing are 2.75-18 and 3.25-18, I don't know if BT45's come in that size. Ultimately the bike has hosed suspension anyway and isn't really intended for beating on; normally I don't do it but because of the holidays there was no traffic coming into work. I just need to get out on my zx10 more often.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If only you had lived and breathed riding 24/7 you would've had the skill to stop in time. Unfortunately you're just a normal person and did all you could do :rolleyes:

In seriousness, I think you're pretty lucky in that you didn't hit their car. If you think this is an embarassing headache, imagine what life would be like if you had hit someone else's vehicle in the process.

Also this:

BlackMK4 posted:

Could be worse - a new lever is $9 from Amazon and a folding shift lever is $45. Don't you have the SV with the R6 front calipers...? I think it's time for you to learn how to use the front brake properly.

And to add to that, shift levers on an SV are like crumple zones on a car: seemingly intentionally made of cheese and bend when you breathe on them. Also that is sweet headlight replacement, I've never seen the like. Your gear certainly did the trick, too! Gloves are cheaper than fingers.

Worth adding that while you were giving it death down the street, the driver of the car completely failed to see you and turned on anyway. The situation would've been much worse if the timing was different and they pulled out six feet in front of you. This is just a really lucky crash to have in general, as far as crashes go.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a bike that cost me $400 bucks and IDGAF. According to the law it is a roadworthy bike and that's all that matters for a commuter I'll only ever be using to filter through 30km's of motionless traffic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Honestly, I genuinely want to but they'll cost me more than the bike did. And I'd rather spend that money on new riding gear/helmet/boondoggles for my zx10. The cheapest tyres I can find are $300 a pair plus fitting which really isn't worth it for a glorified scooter that rarely sees more than 60km/h. If I stay within the bike's hilariously low limits I have no issue.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hermand posted:

...except you've already crashed once? Dude!

...While giving it absolute death (needlessly) with the knowledge that I have a good chance of dropping it if I kept it up. I'm not bothered. If some decent tyres come up on special I'll get some.

edit: SA has just gone nuts for me and I can barely post at all, what the gently caress

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 28, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Don't most bikes have a slightly off-centre shock position? No bike is symmetrical and it might be slightly offset for production reasons. Someone else with an sv needs to confirm this.

That tyre looks destroyed, you can see the squaring if you look at the lower edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not siding with anything z3n is saying one way or the other, but NsaP I swear to god you exist solely to shitpost about him.

• Locked thread