Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Click here for the full 801x600 image.

I posted a thread about this wreck a while back, but I don't have archives access.

This is what happened when I was rear-ended by a young woman who was looking at her cell phone and not the road. She never hit the brakes, just drove up over my bike and hit the car I was stopped behind (the SUV in front of that car was waiting for traffic to turn left onto a side street). When I was hit, my bike was stopped well behind where the BMW's rear end is sitting in this photo.

Luckily I was thrown well clear (30+ feet) from the wreck. I walked out of the hospital that night, just had to do 8 weeks of physical therapy for soft tissue damage to my knee. Was wearing full gear EXCEPT I only had jeans on. Other than a banged-up knee I had a strawberry on one of my elbows, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
worst you might do to a DRZ is scuff the plastics, tweak the bars or dent the can a little. The bars are the only thing that might noticeably affect how the bike rides, and you can usually just loosen the bolts on the clamp to get them realigned

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Glad you're OK dude. Jesus. Leave a little more space, I guess, practice some panic stops, and uh, avoid lovely drivers? Good luck with that one.

Question for you guys in areas with truly poo poo traffic - how do you deal with the whole "leave more space" / safety distance thing? I try to be a good little MSF'er and leave a car length for every 10mph in front of me, but you know the opportunity for that never really happens, and if it ever does the aggro soccer mom in her suburban warfare vehicle swoops in two feet from your front wheel with no blinker anyway.

I've been flying out to the Bay Area once a month for the past year for work, and the driving out there is so loving horrible I don't know how you guys can stomach riding through it. Bay Bridge, 580, 680, 880, it doesn't matter. Mix of people doing 10 under in the left lane, stereotypical Asian lady drivers diving across four lanes with no signal, and occasionally someone blasting by 20 over on your right. And you guys filter through that?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Revit wouldn't necessarily hold up any better and their warranty is total poo poo, so... eh.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Yes, I do. Getting rear-ended on the bike made me paranoid.

On my FJR I installed an add-on modulated brake light bar that I mounted to the fender and an Admore brake light kit in the Givi tailbag I had on the bike. On the Multi I put in a CustomLED modulated tail light w/ integrated turn signals. The CustomLED unit has 10 or so patterns you can choose between.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
What did Kawasaki ever do to you, man

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
They seem to want to kill their rider; since you seem to want to kill your bikes it'll be like constant hate-loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Rib injuries are always painful and there's little or nothing to be done for them while they heal beyond taking NSAIDs (the naproxen) or other painkillers and doing your best to avoid aggravating it. Even if you broke your ribs they'd likely tell you to suck it up unless it was puncturing something, and then you'd be looking at surgery.

The sling is keeping you from moving the AC joint as much as possible so it can actually heal. Same for the boot on your foot. Even if it's painless now, on the off chance you manage to dislocate that fracture somehow you aren't going to be happy. Foot injuries take loving FOREVER to heal and they often don't get back to 100%.

When the shoulder separation heals up a bit you'll likely be recommended physical therapy.

• Locked thread