Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Chairon posted:

DON'T loving GO HERE IF YOU'RE SQUEMISH. PEOPLE MISSING ARMS, DEFLATED HEADS, ETC SHALL FOLLOW.

Holy loving poo poo.

I swear, I'm giving this address to the next person here at work that asks me why I'm wearing gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

-Inu- posted:

Dent in the tank where my loving NADS COLLIDED. Seriously, that's the only thing that impacted this area. Probably the most devastating damage

lol, nads :buddy:

seriously though, I'm really glad you weren't seriously injured and that the bike is still able to be ridden.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Tsaven Nava posted:

Laaaaaaane splitting :)

Lane splitting looks like a great way to get sandwiched between two SUVs here in Austin, especially when they are full of idiotic FOOOTBAWL fans.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Are you implying something negative about the great state of Texas or the great sport of foootbawl?! :911:

Both... lol

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Jesus man, I'm glad you're OK. Having my bike land on top of my legs should I go over is a fear that always lingers in the back of my mind, but them's the risks, right?

Does Nolan offer any sort of service where you can mail them the helmet and they test it to see if it's still safe to use? Maybe you could pick up a cheapie HJC or something while the Nolan is being mailed back and forth.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Oakey posted:

Also, you are dumb, supposed to be in the 40s this weekend, you should have waited :D.

a booty call waits for no man

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I wasn't going to post this, but was told I probably should... so here goes.

A few folks here already know about it, but my wife crashed on July 28. She's a new rider, with about a total of about 100 miles experience before the crash. In a technical sense, she failed to negotiate the turn. There was a nice medium right hand curve, followed by a medium left. It was dark, the road was unmarked (no edge or center striping), and new to us both. Neither of us realized the left turn was there until it was too late. Instead of tightening up the turn and trusting/hoping the bike would make it, I got to watch her straighten up, hit the brakes, and go off the side of the road and down into the ditch at about 40mph.

The LS650 threw her off while hitting the ground hard on the left side, and then flipped at least once before coming to stop on the right side. I think she locked the front wheel up and flipped it down, as the majority of the damage is on the bike’s left side. She wound up rolling/flying from the bike and stopped about 25 feet away.

Her gear held up rather well. Her Shoei RF1000 helmet is being written off since it hit the ground with her head in it. There are some scrapes across the top of the visor and the forehead area on the helmet, so it definitely did its job. Her Joe Rocket Cleo 2 mesh jacket is filthy, but there are no rips, tears or any other visible damage to be found. Her Cortech Accelerator gloves are dirty, but again, no rips or tears, and her Orbit boots are fine as well.

Her injuries consist of a broken left arm. No cuts, no scratches, no scrapes. Even though her head DID hit the ground at least twice, the CT scan showed no spinal, neck or head injuries. Wear your loving gear, folks, it’s why she was able to leave the ER 5 hrs later.

Her first question to me in the ER was to ask if her bike was totaled, and she already wants another helmet and to get back on as a passenger on the ST asap, so she'll be just fine. She does want to ride her own again, just maybe not quite right away.

Seeing her go off the road was pretty bad itself, but hearing the sounds of the crash in my headset was sickening. After getting the ST stopped and parked I couldn't hear anything from her at all since our headset com-link had been dropped. That was TERRIFYING, and probably the worst part of it all.

It's funny how things float through your head in situations like that. I remember thinking to myself that it was a good thing I had a flashlight in my tank bag, and how it was a really good thing that I'd just become CPR certified, because I may need to do it. She could hear me yelling for her, but I could not hear her at all since the wind had been knocked from her.

By the time I’d ripped my helmet and gloves off, dug out my flashlight, and ran over towards her bike to find her, she was starting to sit up and was already fumbling with the helmet strap and making noise. The pain from the broken arm was making her nauseous, and she didn’t want to puke into her helmet and choke. I made sure she could feel me touching her limbs and that she didn’t have any pain anywhere else except her arm, and then helped take her helmet off.

The sheriff's deputy kept asking me if I was OK once he realized that I was on my own bike and was going to ride to the ER behind the ambulance. He kept telling me I could ride in the ambulance with my wife, and that he was sure my friends could get my bike home for me. I didn't understand why at the time, but now I do - I must have looked pretty shook up. I honestly don't remember much of the ride to the ER.

Luckily we were with another couple when it happened. They were awesome, calling 911 for me while helping secure the scene and making sure the bike was turned off while I took care of my wife.

A guy named Clay who lives nearby the accident scene happened to be driving home a few minutes after the crash and stopped to give a hand. It just so happened that he's also a rider, and had a trailer. He volunteered to go home, hitch up his trailer, and carry our wrecked bike a half hour away to our house. For a perfect stranger. At midnight. On a weekday.

Our friends went with him to lead him to my house, and Clay refused to even take money to refuel his truck. We’re going to meet up with him to thank him proper, I feel like I owe the man dinner and a cold beer.

I know it probably doesn't make much sense, but I keep blaming myself for it. That voice in my head keeps saying "you should have insisted she ride with you on the ST, you knew it would be dark, you knew she's a new rider". But she had been doing SO well though in the dark around town close to home, and she wanted to ride her LS with us instead of going two up. But I can't deny her anything, and she’s an adult, and she knows the risks ... so I gave in.

Her bike isn't too badly damaged, the foot pegs are trashed, the clutch lever and mount are damaged. The headlight bucket is destroyed, and there are some dents on the tank and the fender and the turn signals are broken on the left side. I just bought a new headlamp bucket assembly today on Ebay, so the rebuild process has officially begun.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Inertiatic posted:

Jack the Smack update:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351601

Never change, man.

what a loving idiot

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Low water crossings suck.

TsavenNava and I go out for a nice leisurely cruise through the Hill Country (me two up with my wife, him two up with a lady friend of his), and I wind up dropping my bike in front of him.

Yeah, I'm smooth like that.

We were heading west on Fitzhough Road / Pedernales Falls Road, when we came to this http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...014269&t=h&z=16

I've been through low water crossings before on the ST, and it's never been a big deal. There was a pickup truck that we had just watched go through the water, so we could tell it wasn't too deep and wasn't moving very fast. I slowed the ST down, and was rolling in first at maybe 5 miles an hour with the throttle ever so slightly cracked.

We got almost all the way through the running water when I felt the rear of the bike start sliding to the left. I kept my head up and throttle input the same, hoping to ride it out. Unfortunately, the rear tire fishtailed the other direction, and instead of making it through, the bike just sort of... fell over on its left side and spun 180* in the middle of the bridge.

Tsaven was about 5 - 8 lengths behind me and right about the time my bike is spinning around on the ground, he was hitting the slickest part of what put me down. He managed to not drop the Strom, and to not run us over, yay!

My wife bumped her elbows on the ground when she slid off her seat, but it's nothing serious. Her still healing broken arm is fine, and she only has a small red mark from where the pad in the jacket rubbed on her skin. I dragged my knee and lower left leg on the ground, no marks though, just some dirt on my overpants and my gloves got wet. I did bang my right leg into the side of the bike, but I just have a small bruise there, nothing serious.

The bike laughed it off. Since it skidded on the front tip over wing and rear crash bar, there was no damage to the bike at all.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

SlightlyMadman posted:

Taking a bicycle on a highway is beyond stupid, and almost certainly illegal. It's one thing to be going 20mph when everyone else is going 30-40, but to be among cars going 60-70mph means a motorist's brief inattention while changing a CD or something could kill you instantly.

Really though, how often do you see this? This person is clearly just an idiot and not representative of cyclists any more than an old man going 30mph with his blinker on is representative of car drivers.

I see it just about every weekend here in Austin, assuming the weather is decent.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Guess it was my turn...

Hit a deer @ approx 70mph while two up with the wife onboard about an hour and a half ago. The ST1300 is demolished, pics coming in a bit. We're both sitting in a Whataburger waiting for our parents and their trailer to arrive (we were heading to their house, and were about an hour away when this happened).

Our gear is pretty well hosed - both HJC modulars stayed intact but have pretty bad rash, pants on us both are shredded, our jackets are both trashed. We're both fine. I have minor rash on my right wrist where my jacket and glove met, a bit of a rash/burn on my left elbow from where the jacket took a beating, wife has some minor rash on her stomach where her jacket rode up some.

EMS and the police were stunned that we were both up and walking around when they got there.

So much for what was supposed to be a vacation to the Talimena Skyway, lol. Maybe we'll rent a car and go anyway, I'm not sure yet.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
http://ravensys.net/stuff/st13wreck/IMG_0025.JPG
http://ravensys.net/stuff/st13wreck/IMG_0029.JPG

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Whiteboy posted:

drat. Random question, did you try and swerve or brake or anything? Or did the deer just jump in front of you with zero time to react? I'm just wondering because there's a lot of deer that run around on my way home.

nsaP posted:

I'm wondering too but only because both sides are scraped up...

Do you remember the details of the actual crash or is it hazy? I know, for me at least, it's a choppy memory.

It's kinda strange, there's this intense clarity for a few fleeting moments (seconds, maybe?) right before impact and immediately after, and then a small bit that's blurry, and then everything comes streaming back into view again.

We were heading east on Highway 31, and hadn't quite made it to Tyler Texas. Wide open stretch of pavement, 3 lanes each direction, with super wide middle turning lane. It was around 830PM, I was in the far outside lane when I thought I saw something about an eighth of a mile ahead of me on the far left, way over on the westbound side in the grass. It was probably another deer, if it was anything at all.

The very next thing I remember is seeing the deer I hit as he seemed to materialize out of thin air. He was in the turning lane, running for the woods on my right, heading directly in front of me. He was running his rear end off. Time seems to have become compressed at this point, and while I know things happened really fast the playback in my head is kinda like bullet time in the Matrix.

I don't remember saying "Oh poo poo", but my wife remembers hearing me say it on the intercom. Not in a panic or anything, just an almost flat "Oh poo poo". She was looking over my right shoulder and didn't see the deer at all. I do remember thinking about what my options were, and I remember thinking I needed to either try to stop or brake and evade. Brake and evade won out in my mind, and I remember thinking that if I swerve hard left we might miss the deer. I remember feeling the bike leaning and turning hard left before impact, my wife does too, so at least I didn't choke up and did at least try to evade.

It didn't quite work though, and we hit somewhere along the back half of the deer. There was a really loud thwack and my forward field of vision went completely black (my headlights were both shattered), and my memory of things here starts to blur a bit. The bike went down on its left side, and I remember hearing the sound of the crash bars grinding into the pavement. We think my wife came off about this time, she has a pretty decent bruise on her left hip and remembers sliding and the bike being nowhere near her. I must have been still holding on for a bit because my left pants leg and left jacket sleeve are both pretty beat, the jacket is actually melted through where I was dragging my shoulder, and I remember pushing off. The bike caught traction or snagged on the pavement for a moment and then flipped up and over to the right side where it dragged for a bit longer. I remember sliding, I remember hoping that the pickup truck a bit behind us would stop and not run us over, I remember thinking that I really hoped my wife was OK. When things stopped moving, I got to my feet to see my wife as she crawled to the curb, lit up by the headlights of the truck that had stopped behind us.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
http://ravensys.net/stuff/st13wreck/

gear pics start at IMG_0067.JPG, and they go up to 0088
the other pics are what's left of the bike

We are heading over to Enterprise to get our rental car, then heading to Talimena. gently caress that deer, I'm on vacation, bitches.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Just a quick update:

Progressive has been amazing through this entire process. They gave me a fair price based on KBB value for the bike and covered $3,000 worth of riding gear and aftermarket accessories combined (their bike policy only covers up to $3,000, so no argument from me there). We live in Austin, wrecked in Tyler on a Tuesday night, had the bike stored in Longview, and continued on to Mena Arkansas on Wednesday where we had intermittent cellphone coverage until returning to Austin late Sunday night. Even with these challenges, a Progressive agent was at my door in Austin on Monday morning... with a check in hand.

I could not believe it - after the run around we'd previously received from State Farm when my wife's car was hit, I was expecting this to be a long drawn out process. On top of all that, every person I spoke with at Progressive seemed genuinely concerned about our well being, and offered to help with things I hadn't even thought about. My policy included medical payment coverage, and they not only reminded me of that fact, they set things up so that if we needed it later, it would be already ready for us to use. Here was an insurance company reminding me that they were willing to pay more to help me out - talk about a pleasant surprise!

We have a little bit of residual pain here and there from the wreck, but still nothing serious or requiring a doctor's care. My left ankle is a bit sore, as are my right wrist and right shoulder, she still has some tenderness in her chest if she sneezes or coughs really hard. We were lucky, yes, but to be in this good of shape nine days after such a serious accident is a testament to the merits of being geared for the slide, and neither of us are complaining.

After talking about the wreck and how lucky we were to literally walk away from this, we are both of the conclusion that motorcycling isn't something either of us is ready to give up at this point. My wife isn't sure how soon she'll be ready for longer trips or riding at night again, but she wants to get back on. While I had some initial jitters the first couple of days afterwards (see the Getting back on the horse thread), I feel like I am ready to go again. With that in mind, I put in an order yesterday to replace our gear.

We also have talked about where we go from here, at least, as far as bikes are concerned. Our budget and financial plans are keeping a Wing or a Concourse 14 out of the question for a while longer, and there's not really anything else on the market or that we can afford that comes close to what we enjoyed about our 03... so our hunt for a replacement ST has started.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Empire Waffles posted:

If you're around San Antonio and want something to putz around on a see how it feels, my DRZ is available.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I'm oncall next week, but if I head south any time soon I'll give you a yell.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

invision posted:

Well, here's me showing off for the 5-0 today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yElm-CLrE1A

hahahaha, I saw this last night on the TWT board and knew exactly where you were. I've had the rear slide out on me going around corners down there, those tar snakes can be slippery :(

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

SaNChEzZ posted:

So I didn't do it, but someone else successfully totalled my car and my bike in one fell swoop! Inside my parking garage!

:drat:

Christ man, that's lovely... I hope insurance takes care of you.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

americanzero4128 posted:

I need to find a way to pick up my bike solo. I'd estimate it weighs ~650 lbs. God do I feel like a big moron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk

This technique works on my 750+lb ST1300, on full dress Harleys and even Goldwings.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Took down a buck with my 990ADV this morning on a 70mph country road, I'd say I impacted about 50 and did the superman over the bars. Full gear did its job, I am walking around with bruises and minor road rash instead of hospitalized and unconscious.

Wear full gear.

Welcome to the "I hit a deer and walked away" club. I loving hate those damned animals, glad you're alive and OK.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
Abs would have prevented my last get off, so would have not hitting a damp paint stripe while braking hard. We all gently caress up and make mistakes, and that's the (sometimes painful) truth. This poo poo is risky enough as is, why do so many riders have the "naw man, abs is bullshit" mentality when it has been proven to be effective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Drifter posted:

Why are you guys even using the rear brake? Are you all riding half ton cruisers? Jeez.

Linked Braking System supremacy.

• Locked thread