Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Newbie report: Puttering around on friend's old, scratched up ninjette, 2nd time on a bike, went to make a right turn at a stoplight coming downhill, didn't see a patch of gravel and washed out the front wheel with too much brake while somewhere between stopped and walking speed.

Damage: His right-hand Icon glove's palm. Don't know the model, but I can get pictures later. They protected me ok, but I cheese-gratered enough material off the palm while essentially motionless to not trust them to protect at any kind of speed.

Crash itself is not worthy of mention, but I figured it was worth spreading the word about the gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

welp

Crashed for the first "real" time today on the way to pick up brake parts to fix my car. I was riding my friend's ninjette again, since my bike is down with electrical issues and I have no other transportation.

It has been raining here for about three days off-and-on, and was a bit damp out. I came to an intersection to make a left, was behind an suv with an suv behind me. The light turned green, suv in front took off, and being on the torqueless wonder and not used to it yet I killed it letting the clutch out. Moment of "oh poo poo get it going you dumbass," I get it fired back up, and head into the intersection a bit too hastily.

At that point I notice a truck about to make a right turn from the other direction (road i'm turning onto is 2 lanes each way) and, trying to get through the intersection and out of the way in case he's a dipshit and turns into my lane, I gave it a bit too much gas and kicked the rear end out at around 25mph.

Bike spun to a halt in the right lane and died, guy making a right stopped with enough room and gave cover for me to haul the 250 off the road. I had slid a few feet on my left hip and elbow but was otherwise undamaged.

Bike suffered a snapped left handlebar and broken left peg mount and some cosmetic damage to the fairing (which was scuffed bad already).

I pushed the bike to a parking lot and walked to pick up the car parts (they didn't have them). Didn't have my cell phone so I ended up walking a few miles to get my other buddy with his truck. I had gotten a set of ramps thrown into the deal with my bike, and they've finally turned out to be useful. Real kickass ones too.

I have now officially had break or have broken every form of powered transport in my possession or care.

As for gear, I was wearing jeans, joe rocket orbit boots, fieldsheer gloves, joe rocket alter ego 2 jacket, and a scorpion 700-whatever helmet. Only the pants and jacket are any worse for wear.

The ankle protectors on the boots worked brilliantly. Pants tore but no road rash on my hip (just a bruise). The jacket held up ok, but the elbow armor twisted out of the way and so it was all elbow-fabric-cement. The textile scuffed a bit on the outside, and I have mesh-pattern jacket-rash on my left elbow now.

All in all, maybe 100 bucks of bike damage and a bit of bruised elbow and ego. I figure I got off super easy and will learn from my mistake.

• Locked thread