Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Furry, darty animals get what's coming to them, but I will always swerve for a turtle. Then I'll go back and put them off the side of the road (even if they are one of those ill tempered snappers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I have no dirt experience, but I've kept mostly upright by never using my front brake at all when not on pavement. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do, but it kept the CBR scratch free when I lived on a the end of a mile long gravel driveway for a year.
I am with you though. I need to beg/borrow/steal a dirt bike and learn the proper way to do it. Or the proper way to crash gracefully into the ground in front of everyone.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

EDIT: Moved the the almost crashed thread.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 25, 2009

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

phishnut posted:

Ripstik injury

Those things are killers. My friends wife bought one for their kids and she ended up breaking her tail bone trying it out. He sprained his ankle and another neighbor fell and almost got a concussion. He asked if I wanted to try it and, um, no.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Guess full leathers and no helmet is the perfect organ donation suit. When your head gets smashed off they just put your fully protected carcass in the bus and take you to the hospital for dismantling.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I guess I have a kinda crash to report.

I went for a week long road trip with a girl I was dating to go see some sights up north. It was a good time and all of that until she wanted to switch bikes because her Tuono was making her sore.
I said sure and switched. All was well until she made a wrong turn and we had to turn around. She did a nice U and proceeded to take off. I started a slow U, noticed the bike was trying to go into the ditch instead of turning and due to my slow speed we promptly fell over. The bike wasn't damaged due to my left leg and nut sack catching it. It also had sliders on it but I think that is beside the point. My nuts man.
After she noticed her bike lying on it's side in my rear view mirror she came back and started apologizing profusely. Apparently when she installed the clip ons they reduced her lock to lock turning to about 2 degrees before they hit the tank. She failed to tell me this and I failed to notice due to all of my riding on that bike to that point was going straight.

All in all dumb, but I dropped an Aprilia and all I have to show for it is some black and blue marks.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

*sigh* No, dropping the bike didn't have much to do with the not dating anymore. It may have been a factor, but me being an insufferable rear end in a top hat probably had greater weight in the decision.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Would motorcycle boots help a whole lot with the hyper extension of your feet? I've got a pair of A* SMX and TCX street boots and my feet are pretty flexible in there. Would they really keep it from bending the wrong way in a crash or is it just somewhat better than normal shoes?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That's funny, the first thing I thought when you said you popped it back in yourself was you (a bloody, wild haired, crazy eyeballed guy probably named Riggs) fresh off a motorcycle wreck screaming and smacking your shoulder into the side of a van.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

God drat it and I was crash free for so long (15 years!).

Heading home today on the 163S when traffic does it's usual slow to a crawl. I am filtering in between the two right lanes as my exit is about half a mile ahead. Traffic is doing maybe 15, I'm going probably 20ish. I see a guy in the rightmost lane leave a gap a few car lengths ahead so instinctively use some front brake. Person in next lane over tries to take gap but instead hits me as I attempt to go by. I had it slowed down to probably 10 or less by this time but I still went onto the deck.
Hit the ground with my right shoulder and left knee somehow and I think hit my chin off of my right arm since it seems like I bumped my helmet but there aren't any marks on it. Anyway, do the wiggle of the extremities, seem to be ok. Stand up, talk to scared to death lady who ran me over and tell her it's cool. The guy who was nice enough not to run me over as I fell in front of him was also nice enough to help me move my bike to the shoulder.
That's about it. Paramedics came and left since no one was dead, firemen came and left since nothing was on fire. CHP came and left when we did.
Bike has a busted turn signal and a few new scratches. Gear held up well though my knee area of my pants now has rain grooves in it. I seem to have held up pretty well too. My knee hurts a little and my shoulder does too plus all of the adrenalin is making me sick to my stomach, blech. The new Z4 I hit got it's fender caved the gently caress in by...something. I don't know. Nothing on my bike is damaged on that side and the forks are straight. Maybe the Zuk is just that angry with the world.

One weird thing. The motor cop told me since I was filtering that I was at fault for this accident. Is that right? He said he didn't want to write a report since it would show me having an at fault accident on my record. I wasn't sure what to say so I went with what he said. The lady who hit me apparently didn't care either since she didn't insist on a report. Not sure where to go from here. I got her information and she got mine. I also have the names of the witnesses. If I am at fault should I just leave it alone and hope nothing comes of it? If I'm not at fault should I go to the doctor when I wake up all gimpy tomorrow? I've got lovely high deductable health insurance for the next month so I'd really rather not spend a grand or two on medical stuff if I won't get reimbursed.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/bugdrvr/Picture045.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/bugdrvr/Picture042.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/bugdrvr/Picture043.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/bugdrvr/Picture044.jpg

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Yeah, kinda figured that would be the deal now that I've read some on the matter. At least I have a witness (the guy who helped me) who says she darted into the lane without looking. Apparently he saw me in his mirror before I got there.
I'll keep you'se guys posted.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Holy poo poo, glad you're ok! Your arm honestly gave me the chills. Hope they can put you back together again with a minimum of metal.
I don't know why, but seeing a poster whose name I recognize in a crash post just seems worse than people I've never heard of before.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Double Post ahoy!

sirbeefalot posted:

Just wanted to reply to this even though its kinda old and has probably been resolved by now anyway, as it sounds pretty much exactly like my crash about a year and a half ago. Same exact situation, speeds, etc. The CHP officer was a little more professional, in that he didn't immediately make a determination and tell me I was at fault. Went through the other person's insurance, didn't seek any medical attention, got my settlement for the bike, physical injury and gear as three separate checks within a couple weeks. Basically had a couple phone calls with hers and my insurance companies, and mine stuck up for me and told them to gently caress off regarding me accepting any liability.

Ponied up for the report a week or two later, and I was determined to be at fault, being a "small and difficult to see vehicle traveling at an unsafe speed for the conditions." V:shobon:V

Actually nothing at all happened. The girl who hit me contacted me a few times through text to see how I was doing. We pretty much agreed to leave it and not go through insurance. I took a few weeks off because my shoulder and knee were hurting and I felt like I needed time to reflect on the crash (yes, I said reflect. I live in Cali dammit).
Even though I wasn't doing anything illegal and she should have been watching more closely I still take a greater deal of the blame. Lane splitting at night, in 35 degree soggy weather using the inner two lanes is just asking to get whacked. I should have been more careful.

mootmoot posted:

Whilst on my motorbike I was lane-splitting at about 20 Mph on a one-way street. I was travelling on the RHS of the traffic. There was a pedestrian walking down the road in the opposite direction of the traffic in front of me and coming up fast; not on the pavement as the pavement was overcrowded.

As I was approaching him I stuck my right hand out and pointed to the pavement, motioning, 'get on the pavement you idiot - you're walking contraflow to the traffic and you're in my way.' He just looked at me attempting to stare me down, continuing to walk towards me, about 5 seconds from colliding.

I beckoned, furiously pointing towards the pavement and at the critical moment he sidestepped to the left, onto the pavement avoiding me.

I however, and I have NO IDEA why I did it, kept my hand out and clotheslined him.

I think you're probably going to die pretty soon but this is loving hilarious to me. I just might be a bigger dick than I thought.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 21, 2012

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I agree. Bandits 400-1250cc are sharp bikes. I'd be happy to ride (or crash I suppose) any of them.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I got the whole "donorcycle" speech from an EMT while riding with him to the ER with my ex...who got a concussion from falling during a roller derby game.
I don't even know how or if he knew I rode bikes but that didn't stop the conversation. Oh no, nothing like 15 minutes of stories of road rash and mushy bags of people leaking all over their stretchers. Awesome I tell you.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Xovaan posted:

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that. :( Honestly it does sound like one of those situations where it really wasn't something you could do. I've nearly slipped walking over diesel and I can't count how many times I've narrowly avoided tire belts at night on the freeway just by turning into another lane a millisecond earlier or later. (and one time I poo poo you not a whole loving tire with hubcap was rolling in front of me perpendicular to the freeway I mean Jesus Christ what the gently caress California)

I'm just glad you're safe and the damage was minimal!

No poo poo! I have had about a million of those almosts too.
One night going up the 805 on from a friends house down in National City I, going about 70mph or so, change lanes to go around a slightly slower car. Just as I get up to his rear bumper he hits a loving mattress that had been lying in the middle of the freeway.
I whip my head over and it's standing on end close enough for me to poke if I had thought about it. If I had stayed in the slow lane I would have crashed hard (or soft depending upon if I landed on the mattress or not).

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

nsaP posted:

Bruised deer meat is not good. That said I've seen people scavenging roadkill before.

Sounds like he mostly brained it with a combination headlight/knee bash. Probably would be good to eat but he'd also have to figure out a way to get from dead carcass to delicious venison steaks somehow. I know nothing of hunting (automotive or otherwise) but it's probably a pretty bloody and yuck filled transition.

Good deal on not crashing btw. Sounds like you managed to land squarely in the middle of 'huge wreck' and 'slipped on by without an issue'.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Yeah, I very much doubt they are going to be worried about who to call until they have you stabilized and on the way to the hospital. Eventually they will remove the helmet and it's as good a place as any to keep your ICE info. I have mine on a card in my wallet. I used to keep it in my phone until I realized that the passcode may prevent them from you know, getting to them :downs:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I wonder if eventually the airbag helmet removal thing will be in all helmets.
That would make it a poo poo load easier if they just have to hook their pump to it and have it off in a few seconds. Doubt it would add much cost to the helmet once they become commonplace.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It sucks that you fell but you did manage to swerve/brake around a huge SUV rather than T boning it and, you know, dying. You came out well ahead in my opinion! Is the lady taking any responsibility for the damage to your bike?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

One thing that has to be relearned when you start riding bikes is that if you end up in a poo poo situation where you didn't leave enough of a stopping distance for whatever reason you can go between cars instead of running into the back of them. Sounds like in your case you probably would have stopped somewhere near the back door of the cab you hit if you had swerved around.

As you ride longer this type of thing shouldn't happen as much since you'll learn to keep a good margin of space around you as well as ways to escape the idiots who flock around you, but everyone has a lapse occasionally or someone will fly in front of you and jam on the brakes or whatever. It's good to remember all of your options.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I spent six months in Washington this year for work and only put 300 miles on the bike.
Between the homicidal drivers, not being able to lane split on the parking lot known as the 5, the constant lovely weather and Seattle making you pay for parking like a car it wasn't worth it.
The only reason I even put that many miles on is because I wanted to ride to Rainier and St. Helen's.
I've been back in CA for three months and have put 5k on the bike since returning.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm always amazed at people who get mad at people for filtering. They're like children who can't have any candy so they spit all over it and walk away in a huff.
Someone filtering by you is in absolutely no way making your commute any longer. In fact they are making it shorter by at least one car length! You should be thanking us! If 20 bikes slip by that is 20 less cars trying (and failing) to zipper in where the lane goes away up ahead or merging in from that other freeway.

Also, nothing saying they can't get a bike and do the same.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Most people need to learn from their own mistakes and happily ignore good advice without too much of an immediate effect their whole lives. The problem with ignoring that advice and learning from your own mistakes on bikes is it's generally pretty expensive or detrimental to your health with you ignore advice and gently caress up.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Welp.. I wasn't trying to say he would have walked away from it if he'd been wearing boots - He still would have been all kinds of hosed. I was saying it was a dumb thing for the copper to imply that it's pointless to wear boots because it hurts more to take them off with a broken ankle post-crash.

Really I was just trying to insert a little humor into an intense post, but apparently some of you guys need to slam few mg of morphine yerselves.

edit: the supermoto escape route point is excellent, and should not be overlooked.

I think for a lot of people, they haven't seen or felt an actual motorcycle boot outside of a Harley leather dress boot. My A* boots have some serious ankle support and I really do think they'd help a lot even getting hit by a lovely SUV.

Anyway, I forgot to put my kick stand down after I parked yesterday. The bike fell over. On me. In front of my neighbors. They laughed and then helped me get unstuck.

I'll take a few mg of morphine if you're buying. Between dropping a bike on myself and doing an R&R on a Cayenne Turbo transmission I think I'm about ready to cash it in.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It's been raining here so you know where this is going.

Riding in the rain is fun and beside that traffic is horrible when moisture falls from the sky therefor taking the bike to work was the obvious choice.
As I was walking to open my garage door I must have been going a bit too fast because next thing you know I'm down.
After regaining my composure and checking to see if all my extremities still worked (as well as a nervous look around to see if i had been observed) I tried to figure out what went wrong. I looked around and realized that I had slipped on the oil stain my neighbors lovely car left behind. I'm thinking the worn soles on my boots may have been a contributing factor.
Luckily I was ATGATT so only suffered a slightly bruised rear end.
I went back upstairs, took my now damp gear off and drove the truck to work.

Californians. We can't even walk in the rain.
Be careful out there.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

In my experience, for a mild concussion the ED will pretty much just look into your eyes to make sure your pupils are working properly and talk to you a bit to see exactly how much sense got knocked out of you. If you're showing signs of a serious trauma then you will get stuck in a CAT scan machine and whatever else they feel is needed. Otherwise they give you some mega Tylenol and have you lay in an uncomfortable bed for a night.

If he feels ok and a trauma nurse agrees then he's probably ok.

Also, gently caress GoPros. I have a Hero 3 that likes to randomly save and not save at it's own discretion. I use it every day on my commute but the one time I tried to review a video I found my morning commute and about 5 minutes of my ride home then nothing new. My last track day it saved NOTHING.
My $50 G1W chinacam does a gently caress load better than that piece of poo poo.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 23, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've used several different cards. The latest one is a Sandisk class 3 I think. Only 15GB so it should be fine.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Every time I wear jeans, non riding boots or short gloves I feel like I'm tempting fate.
If you ATGATT 99% of the time it seems only proper that the time you don't is when you'll get bailed by a van or something.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

drat, glad he's mostly ok. Too many stories of group ride crashes on here.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I bought a really nice CB350f that had fire damage due to the PO trying to adjust points despite the sticky floats peeing gas all over the place. It was in nearly perfect shape aside from the center of the bike being charred :(

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The thing that makes me the most nervous is just how fragile those mushy things in our skulls are are and how much chance plays a part in your injury.
You can trip and bump your head and die. You can fall out of an airplane and be fine.
This has no bearing on me wearing a helmet of course. They've been proven to work for years and years. Yes the older ones weighed a ton and restricted your vision somewhat but, even then, they were still worth it.
It's now 30 odd years later and those "facts" just don't hold any water.

I just bought a *Shoei RFwhatever new model* and it's awesome. Very light, very comfortable and you can see only a sliver of helmet in your field of view. It's also neon orange which is obnoxious and I love it even more because of that.

Beside all that, how many bugs and rocks do you really want stuck to your goddamn face?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Your ankle x-ray is making my ankle hurt.

I bet you might have fared a bit better with the SMXs but really who knows. I don't wear mine all the time because it's much easier just to toss on my TCX boots and run out the door. Hearing about crashes like the last few in this thread have got me thinking about risk mitigation again. Maybe it's worth the extra minute every trip to put on the A*s and make sure to zipper my pants into my jacket.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

If you hit that thing it probably would have waited until you stopped crashing for it and it's friends to poke the poo poo out of you for having the gall to hit it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

ShaneB posted:

I carried uninsured motorist medical, as property was too much. I now carry full coverage on a 10 year newer SV650n and pay far less. :iiam:

Also I live in Chicago, the time spent even calling to try to talk to someone about someone who hit me in May driving without insurance and saying "hey you should chase them down" would be met with a laugh. The officer didn't even go to the court date for her "following too closely" ticket.

I have super high under and un insured coverage. To get your bike crashed, possibly be injured and then be poo poo out of luck because someone decided to be an irresponsible piece of poo poo is the worst. I'll pay the extra few dollars a month and let my insurance co. deal with it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

I guess it's not all that bad...I have memories of it being an absolute touristy nightmare, but maybe I hit it at the peak of harvest season.

It is a touristy nightmare. It's fun to go through on a loop from San Diego but that's about it. I'll usually grab a pie for the guys at work so I can stop for a pee break.
I'm currently at a campground about 15 miles away and it's also a touristy nightmare. Camping here = parking your truck in a 30x30 foot spot and putting up a tent nearby. There are about 500 other people here and it's cold and lovely.
This has nothing to do with crashing but I'm annoyed I let the gf talk me into it and just happen to writing a post about the area.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I only know one person who's died from a crash but my best friend was riding lovely so he and another friend stopped for lunch where he then had a heart attack and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Today I moved over for a kamikaze lane splitter that had a similar tire.
Bump bump bumping over lane markers with your cloth tire substrate while going 50mph between stopped cars is a whole lotta stupid.

• Locked thread