Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mike fictitious
Apr 2, 2003

Like all girls I love unicorns!
First off, I wanted to thank everyone who has posted in the this thread previously. I've read every post and it definitely made me a safer rider and prepared me mentally for my own accident. Well, it didn't take long.

(pardon me if I mix tenses; it's the drugs)

The Accident
Saturday morning. I was heading east on a relatively windy road near my house. I crested a hill and saw a car stopped at a stop sign on an intersecting road waiting to turn west. The made a move like they were going to go, but stopped again just past the sign. I assumed this meant they saw me and were waiting for me to pass. The car waited for another vehicle to pass westbound on my road, then pulled directly out in front of me.

I locked up the front wheel trying to stop and high-sided to my right. The bike slammed into the driver's side of the car. I landed on my right shoulder and hip and skidded down the street, missing the car.

The drive stopped and got out and started freaking out. I wanted to get myself out of the road, but I knew I wasn't supposed to move. I told her to calm down and call 911. Eventually a few people stopped and started directing traffic, calming her down, and tending to me. An RN took charge of me, not allowing me to move, etc.

The cops showed up, then the EMTs. The RN told the EMTs I needed a neck brace and back board. I had no neck pain. No pain at all really, just my left leg was sore. The EMTs checked out my neck and back and determined I was OK, but the RN persisted. She demanded they do it, and wouldn't leave until she saw me in it. The EMTs threatened to have her arrested for interfering, but eventually relented and put me in that god-forbidden contraption. Eventually, I am put in the ambo and the other driver rides along to get checked out (hyper-tension or something).

Injuries
Ride to the hospital was painful. I spent another hour in the neck brace. Eventually the doc takes it off. Then I was sent off for some excruciating X-rays. Eventually it is determined that my left leg is broken... which is confusing since I fell to my right. I also have a tiny, but steadily bleeding puncture in my left calf. This eliminates a cast and the doc recommends a rod in my shin. Surgery goes fine.

Afterwards, he determined that my footpeg or a similarly pointy thing on the bike penetrated my calf and fractured my shin as I fell off. I was discharged on Monday afternoon. No weight on the leg for at least 2 weeks. No work for at least 2 weeks.

Damage
Helmet: HJC FS-15. Saw only minor scrapes, but will need to be replaced regardless.

Boots: Joe Rocket Pro Street. Lots of cosmetic scrapes.

Click here for the full 676x507 image.

Pants: Fieldsheer Titanium Air 3 Mesh. I almost didn't wear them because I would be busy off the bike most of the day, but am quite happy I did. Overall, I hate the look and fit of these pants, but they did their job. My hip is sore from the impact, so I might look into better hip pads in my next pants. Not sure if they make CE-rated hip armor. They suffered only minor cosmetic damage at the knee, but the doc had to cut them off of me before surgery.

Jacket: Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0. My shoulder and elbow feel fine. The CE armor absorbed everything. The seam between the elbow and cuff split, so it needs to be replaced.

Gloves: Icon Pursuit perforated leather. Cosmetic scrapes.

Bike: 05 SV650. Totaled. I didn't get a picture of it... Maybe I should send someone by to snap one before it goes away. I am pretty upset about losing it. The front wheel, fork, radiator, lights, gauge cluster were all trashed. I don't think I'll find another one quite like it.

Car: Pontiac G6. Totaled. Apparently my bike ripped the front axle off. Kinda glad I high-sided and missed it.

Lessons
None until the settlement. I did everything I could to avoid the accident that she caused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike fictitious
Apr 2, 2003

Like all girls I love unicorns!
My cop was very nice except:
  • As of mid-week, he had still not filed the police report, so my insurance company and lawyer cannot get a copy.
  • He (hopefully) documented the other driver's address, contact info, and insurance in the report, but did not give me any of this information at the scene. Now, even when numerous people have called in to get it, we're still coming up dry until the report is filed.
In the end, I've gotten more information from the tow truck driver than from the cop.

Unrelated, but I had been googling mean/average accident injury settlements in my state :monocle:. I know I'll probably have to pay back my health insurance company, and give the lawyer his cut, but :psyboom:.

• Locked thread