Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humper
Apr 15, 2003

Very concerned about penis

powderific posted:

he'll be off his feet for 6 weeks.

I couldn't help laughing at this.

He should try hard to get the most bad-rear end T-1000 looking prosthetic he can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humper
Apr 15, 2003

This is a near-crash report, fortunately.

Yesterday I was riding home after picking up my girlfriend from work. She has been very nervous about the motorcycle for a long time, and has finally decided to try riding pillion. This is her fourth trip ever on the bike, and she's getting a little more comfortable.

After riding for about 45 minutes through some awesome back twisty roads past Monticello, we get to the final turn before my house. There are two left turn lanes; I'm in the right hand one.

The arrow turns green, and the huge SUV to my left goes. I go, and as I'm about halfway through the turn I hear that horrible sound of screeching brakes to my right. A car coming the other way has run the red light and is about to sandwich me into the SUV.

In the split second I watched this happen, my thoughts were:

1) I bet we're going to get a huge insurance check from this, that would solve my money problems!
2) He's going to T-bone the back of the bike, which will crush my girlfriend's right leg.
3) This SUV to my left is not going to be a fun thing to be sandwiched against.
4) His car looks super old and rusty, I bet he doesn't even have insurance. gently caress.
5) Why the hell didn't I see him coming before I turned left?
6) O poo poo BETTER HIT THE loving GAS

Fortunately, #6 saved my rear end. I hit the gas so hard I thought I was going to wheelie out of there, but 800 lbs of cruiser (Boulevard C90) + fat-rear end rider + passenger made that not happen.

I honestly have no idea how his car didn't hit me. When he slid to a stop behind the bike, it really felt like we were somehow occupying the same space at the same time. He must have missed us by less than a foot.

I think that he had skidded to probably about only 20-30 MPH before he passed us, so I don't know how badly we would have been hurt, but even writing about it now is making my heart pound.

I hate people.

Humper
Apr 15, 2003

Z3n posted:

Yeah, this is the number one reason to not partake in the Stoplight GP.

I've found the best call is to treat a red that's gone green like a stop sign. You look left, right, and then check for that retard making a left in front of you, and then you go.

I certainly used to do this, but about a year ago I got rear-ended at a red light when the bitch behind me decided not to wait for me and just jammed on the gas from the #2 position. so I'm totally torn about the best technique.

• Locked thread