Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Vstar 650s are pretty small bikes and pretty universally considered to be beginner bikes. Brotha' just made a mistake - poo poo happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Pants: Firstgear HT over pants. Although the pants protected my knee from a lot of damage, they failed catastrophically. Had this crash occurred 10 MPH faster there would be significant damage to my knee. The pants fit my waist but the legs of the pants were always a little loose which let the armor float around a bit. When I came off the bike the knee armor did just that and offered zero protection to my knee. The mesh of the pants failed in a truly epic way, there is a tear over 8 inches long and wide enough that it's larger than the main "tube" of the pant leg. I will never again buy pants where the armor does not fit SECURELY in place.

Walking away with a small bit of rash sounds like pretty good performance. I rashed my arm crashing at maybe 60mph at the track wearing a leather suit. Anytime you go down at a pretty high speed textile is going to explode.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Nerolus posted:

My friend here had his neighbor bring over his newly purchased 70's kick-only HD (not the one in the background, that's his bike). Had a good bit of kick-back, whipped up and snapped his tibia and hosed up his knee. He's going to surgery as I type this.

"Sometimes a kick only 70's chopper breaks your loving leg......FTW. #ouch #rumandpineapple #vacationtime"

Edit: "repairs include bone grafting and installing permanent hardware" :negative:

Man that dude is seriously trying far far too hard.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

I dunno why, but this is what I pictured you looking like :ohdear:

I like Aprilias and old two stroke Yamahas - things that are actually cool not old rape vans and Harleys which are just trying to be cool.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Huge calf muscles. I have had them as long as I can remember, and I have no idea why.

Fat people have huge calves.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Mayor Poopenmayer posted:

Road was completely dry
I think the main thing is I maybe braked a little too hard
Other than that I'm blaming the road surface
Our local council has been patching this corner for ages, it's crumbling away in a lot of spots

It's 100% your fault sorry bro. Second day riding the only thing to blame for eating poo poo is the guy sitting on the bike. Crashing while slowing down at an intersection is not a 'normal' thing.

Sounds like your jeans did their job when you went down, anything textile is a one and done thing most of the time.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

A '99 Nighthawk has a front drum brake. My R5 drum brake isn't exactly the most progressive brake in the world so I could see how a beginner rider might give it the beans accidentally.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Yup. I love it when people trot out that hoary old argument about the supposed simplicity and cheaper cost and all that garbage. It's all bullshit. They aren't even cheaper to make anymore, not when 90% of vehicles have discs everywhere. It's purely a marketing ploy to make the base model of x vehicle appear lovely compared to the better-specced varieties.

I bet they are cheaper to make when you're using the same machinery that you paid off in 1978 to make them.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

No. Stop and really think about it: is it cheaper to have one factory that makes every part, or have the factory split up with a small portion making the lovely old part, with entirely different tooling, with workers who have to be trained differently and different maintenance costs on the machinery and a different supply of blanks and so on. Logistically they are more expensive.

Marketing is the only reason. And I guess looks on some cruisers?

Are you a manufacturing engineer/consultant? I'd be interested to hear about how this works.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'm a ski patroller where every year we get told to either remove or not remove helmets depending on the current whims of our docs. Odds are good if you are careful removing a helmet you won't do any further damage. Remember if they aren't breathing or don't have a good airway you gotta get that helmet off.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You were in a hurry but had time to record your ride? That's... odd.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

schreibs... what the gently caress happened there? cold tires, bad posture, and brake tap?

Oh and I used a wire brush to get all the gravel out of my knee last month.
Walked into the nearest restaurant and stole a salt shaker, poured it on, and rode home.

No infection and the knee seems to have healed pretty well.

Wait what?
You salted your knee?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

What's more weird, salting your wounds or not having salt in your house and deciding the correct course of action is to go steal it from the closest restaurant.?

Are you not familiar with the meaning of 'rub salt in the wound'?

That's not a saying about how to make your boo-boos feel better you know...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Sorry about the drop, but the image in my mind of what happened makes it seem pretty hilarious. Too bad there wasn't any video.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I envision something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9fF_bSQk7I

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Most first aid kits really are junk. Anything useful in the field you can improvise with tape, paracord and a tshirt.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

BT45s are pretty good tires and fit a lot of old poo poo

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt45.html

Looks like they'd work.

Edit:
You can unfuck at least the shocks fairly cheaply with a set of Hagons.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Just look at motoGP for guys that are wearing the best gear available and still get all sorts of busted up. I'd wager most of his injuries would have happened regardless of the amount of gear he has on.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Wow that's something else. Cannot believe there is not more goon rage about your inability to ride a motorcycle.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Another classic bike ruined by a hipster who doesn't know how to ride.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I think you'll find when you have more than a few hundred posts about motorcycles on CA you'll probably know why you crashed.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You should try turning in corners instead of skidding your rear brake and running into guardrails.

Ahhhhhhhh gently caress

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

There is a difference between planes flying overhead from time to time or whatever and a track making noise every Fri/Sat/Sun from 8am - 5pm.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Wow - that's great that you're alive and going to make a full recovery. That sort of accident just goes to show that even wearing gear won't stop serious injury when enough forces are involved. The fact that you didn't have large road rash probably helped you stay alive given how bad off you were to begin with.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Looks to me like he was trying to avoid this pothole.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Don't overtake other people on the road in the same lane and don't travel at such a great speed differential than the rest of traffic. Fin.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I missed the not part, and I was all ready to call you a dope.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The brakes?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The gen V VFR had them, and I thought they were just fine. It was a little weird if you stomped on just the rear brake that the front would dive a little, but why would you do that? Bleeding them is a little funky as well. Never noticed them when riding normally using the brakes like a normal person.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Looks like people say it's the rear brake that causes problems. I am a front brake only dude above 10mph so I probably wouldn't notice it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

It looked to me that you put your hand on the front brake before you crashed. That being said that was crazy and who knows what happened there. I'd be drat careful checking your front brakes before riding again.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I tried to use Geico/Progressive/Some big ins co's roadside assistance - that I had on my bike policy. It was a total shitfest. I figure AA or nothing these days.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

zx14s are 700lb?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Haven't you crashed a bunch? Perhaps riding isn't for you?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Given the mechanism of injury to cause an AC separation, I doubt any jacket would do you much good. Perhaps an airbag suit would provide enough padding, but the normal armor in jackets definitely won't. You got forced into the ambulance probably because you smashed your head - I've done similar things as a ski patroller. If there is any way I can convince someone to go straight to the ER when they've hit their head I do it. The cop was just being lazy and fulfilling his role as a revenue generator, unfortunate reality in America today.

AC separations are a really lovely injury, if you've got a really severe one figure they will recommend surgery - that will suck.

I think it's pretty clear you hit the front brake. Make sure you're mentally fresh enough to ride. Riding tired is definitely very dangerous.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

There is literally no way that this is Frosty's fault. There aren't all sorts of relatively cheap insurance options you can take onto your moto policy to cover additional medical expenses. It's especially important if your job requires anything beyond diddling the keyboard.

America does a lot of stupid poo poo, but whining about the totally foreseeable consequences of a pretty minor motorcycle crash is stupid. If you can't deal with the consequences financially you should consider walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

The system is hosed, but you can buy poo poo like personal injury protection on your insurance policy that can cover lots of that poo poo.
https://www.dmv.org/insurance/personal-injury-protection-insurance-for-motorcyclists.php

• Locked thread