Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
This is the crash thread. The purpose of this thread is for us to go over our get offs. We can review what went wrong, get advice on how to avoid it in the future, and let our fellow riders know what gear works and what to avoid.

Do:
Post crash reports
Post pics of damage to your gear and your ride
Post pics of damage to yourself (if it's exceptionally gruesome tag it NSFW and link it)
Give constructive advice
Go over what went wrong and how you can avoid it next time

Don't:
Start with the dick waving (we get it, your better then us, move on and keep your smart rear end comments to yourself)
Post crash pics you, or someone you know personally, weren't involved in (this is about first hand experience, not a contest on who can find the most gruesome pics from rotten or ridetodie)
Be a prick (if you're giving advice be friendly about it, if your being criticized be gracious about it)

Basically let's try to keep this a friendly learning resource.

Now on with the show:

Situation
This morning I had my first accident. It was a low speed highside, about 20 miles an hour. I was scanning off to the sides as I went through an intersection and making sure the car in the left turn lane wasn't going to intrude into my path of travel. During this I failed to notice that the truck in front of me had come up short, and I went into a hard brake. I began to pulse both breaks to notify the driver behind me to start slowing down, and managed to lock the rear. Physics, being what it is, meant that when I went for the next pulse and released my rear the bike went all sorts of nuts on me. The rear fishtailed, I over compensated on the fronts and over I went.

Damage Report
(Note: this is a repost from the gear thread, Z3n suggested making a crash thread, and since I'm probably the most recent crashee on the forums...)

Teknic Chicane jacket: Scuffed up one sleeve, and the right shoulder badges are no longer pretty, all the stitching seems to have held. No damage to my arms or torso. Verdict: Jacket still usable as is.

Teknic Chicane gloves: Scuffed up one palm, leather still nice and thick there, just not pretty. Tore the Velcro strip from the leather backing on one glove, will need to be restitched. My left palm is a little sore but no rashing or bruising on me.
Verdict: Will be serviceable after I run it through a sewing machine a bit.

Vega Nitro boots: The right boot will never be pretty again, but my feet, ankles, and calves are fine.
Verdict: Best $50 piece of footwear ever.

Firstgear HT Air over pants: Just my luck, I completely missed the textile patches and landed (and subsequently dragged) one of the mesh panels. Except for where it took a direct hit all the stitching held. The bottom zipper on the right leg will probably need to be repaired/replaced but I zipped them back up once I got into campus. Only the top mesh layer took any damage, the underlaying cordura portion seems fine. I'm going to stitch a couple of heavy duty denim or textile panels over the two small holes in the mesh. However the right knee pad either slid or is just too thin because my knee is really stiff right now. Of course I just fell of a loving motorcycle so that shouldn't really surprise me.
Verdict: Needs minor repair, but will otherwise be serviceable.

HJC CL-SP: This is why you buy a full face helmet. I nailed the chin bar pretty good. No visible damage but there's no reason to risk my melon on it being able to take two in a row. If this was a nice helmet I would consider having it x-rayed to for damage. But at $80 I'm ordering a new one next paycheck. Minor scuffing on the visor, which I plan on reusing. If it wasn't for this lid, well I'd probably still be alive, but I would have probably broken my jaw, lost consciousness, and poo poo teeth for a week.
Verdict: After today this is relegated to my training helmet.

1982 CB750SC: The bad news is I think the bike is now technically totaled. I think I damaged the odo in a crash, which out hear means the vehicle would be written off in a claim. However as this was a single vehicle crash there will be no claim filed, and as I'm planing on running this thing into the ground, resale value is no concern.

The worst of the damage was to the instrument bezel. I need to replace the glass over the odo(s), and the plastic bezel around all the instrumentation. All indicators (both on the panel and on the bike itself) still work fine. I lost one reflector, banged up the headlight bezel, and scuffed the transmission cover. And... that's it. Everything that normally breaks in a crash like pegs, levers, mirrors, etc. is completely fine. I'm out a hundred bucks for aesthetic pieces and a new key (which got bent when it cleaved the hell through the bottom of the instrument panel) but it could have been much worse.

Conclusion and Lessons Learned
The bike got limped home this afternoon and will be out of commission for a few weeks. The instrument panel needs to be repaired, and I'm replacing the front pads and rear shoes, which I should have done as soon as I got the bike. I'm also going to use this down time to replace cables, re-shim valves, and pick up a copy of proficient motorcycling (again something I should have done a while ago).

In the future I need to be more aware of closing distances. Further more on the next bike I get, and every machine after it, I'm going through and replacing brakes and cables. I can't really blame the bike for this, but if I was more confident in the breaks I could probably have brought it to an ugly (but upright) stop. Also I need to forget everything about riding a pedal-bike and trying to put a foot down during an emergency stop.

Once the bike is road worthy again it's time to find an empty parking lot and drill emergency stops and swerves into me.

I'm pissed off at myself for not handling the situation to the best of my ability but I'm choosing to look at this as learning experience. This could have been so much worse it's not even funny; but any crash you can walk away from is a good one, and any crash you can drive away from is a great one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

OrangeFurious posted:

My accident was in December...

gently caress... you got lucky. I'm glad you're getting over your injuries. Are you getting regular check ups for any occult damage?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Budgie posted:

:words:
Not sure when, or rather if, I will be getting back on a bike.

Jesus Christ man. I'm glad your okay after that, when you got to the part about a stone wall my heart sank. I was half expecting the post to end from a wheelchair. I know you got busted up a bit but that could have ended way, way, way worse.

Don't get back on a bike until you really want to. You ride for fun, not to prove something.

• Locked thread