Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

VTNewb posted:

I havn't taken it, but I thought the MSF actually had you lock a rear tire as part of the training. Do they just talk about it?
Mine did not make us do it, but told us about it, and I, at least, locked the rear at one point. Did a stoppie at another (completely on accident, of course). The instructor's jaw just kind of dropped at that one. I was riding a DR200SE, so there was a lot of suspension give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Humper posted:

I couldn't help laughing at this.

He should try hard to get the most bad-rear end T-1000 looking prosthetic he can.

They make liquid metal prosthetics now!?
:whoa:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ijii posted:

I was planning on selling my car, but now I'm going to keep it for emergency uses when someone messes up my bike.
Better solution: sell car, buy cheap backup bike. :D

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dear Cycle Asylum,

I never thought it would happen to me, but I had an accident today. I was on my way home from some errands, about three blocks away when a girl made a left turn in front of me. I was following another car that made a right onto the street she was coming from, so she didn't see me. I was going *maybe* 30 mph, locked the brakes, and went down on the left side. An off-duty firefighter happened to be around the corner and saw me go down and came over to help out. The helmet took a hit to the chin, and the jacket looks okay. Jeans were, naturally, run right through. Ambulance took me to the hospital and I may have not one, but two fractured elbows. The couldn't tell on the x-ray, but there's a bunch of fluid which is bad, so they splinted both of them. I have to follow up with an orthopedist to get it checked out.

I haven't seen the bike, but the cop says it looked fine and the slider took most of it. The girl was more freaked out than I was.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saw the bike, and it's not bad at all. The shifter broke, unsurprisingly, and the gauges got wacked out of shape, but the rest is all cosmetic, and not even too major.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm seeing the orthopaedist tomorrow, and I've got pretty high hopes. My left elbow already feels perfectly fine, and the right one only has some minor pain when I try to extend it too far. My major problem is that my left hand is still pretty swollen, although that's been going down the past two days.

Note to self: Don't brace with hands! (I knew this already.)

Other good news: I spoke with USAA (the girl's insurance) and they seemed prepared to pay for all of my costs, so I'm going to get an estimate on the damage rather than do it myself.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cabledude posted:

Already plan on replacing it, Scorpion has a policy and all I need to do is send my old helmet to them and they'll ship me a new one for free.
Yes, explain this, since my EXO-700 is toast as a result of my accident.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cabledude posted:

Remember guys, I said my co-worker mentioned this to me right after the incident, I'll go ask him right now if he could please elaborate.

Edit:

Clarification received, he was talking about the quick change mechanisms on the side that will be replaced, when he mentioned shipping it back to them it was to have the helmet's integrity checked.

Sorry for any confusions.
Okay that makes sense. Would have been nice to have gotten a free replacement and cash from insurance.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tentacle Party posted:

Whoa, i just went down to the holding yard to check out the bike. There is almost no damage. I took pictures and will post them as soon as i get home. All i could see was a scuff mark on the fairing, the crash slider and mirror is scratched and the bottom of the fork has some scratches. The windscreen is also cracked but thats it! Unless the fork is now bent, or there is some rim damage i couldnt see, i dont see this being a huge repair job.

Yet the car will need a new quarter panel, door skin and mirror.

SV: 1 Opel: 0
I thought my accident on my naked SV was minor, but when I took it to the shop, they wrote up a $5200 repair bill since they fix *everything*, so it's being written off. Thankfully, it's not my insurance doing it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To be fairc the only things I would say *needed* to be done were the fork seal and clutch lever. All the other repairs were for cosmetic stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I saw a guy today with a fullface helmet, jacket, and shorts. WTF?

And a guy on an older BMW R-bike in a polo shirt, khakis, and a modular helmet flipped up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Someone needs a supermoto.

(Glad you're okay.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If your cheek is hurting post impact, you got a pretty good hit. Helmets are only good for one hit. It's toast.

And echoing the go to the doctor sentiment. It may be nothing, but it may not be.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kommando posted:

Ow jesus gently caress ow...

dude, get well soon, etc.
A few years ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sounds pretty similar to how my accident went down, so hopefully she'll at least be at-fault as far as insurance goes, like mine (woman made left turn across my lane).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Clownfish posted:

Glad to hear you are ok. How did you get the rash with the gear? Did something fail?

I'm not clear on what you are trying to communicate with the strike-out. Did you hit our brakes or not? Did you lose traction, even with ABS?
He was wearing a textil jacket which he said ripped. Textile tends to not be as form-fitting as leather, so there's potential for rash from the jacket itself. Plus it ripped. Also he said his previous bike had ABS while this one does not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She could *have* insurance, just not have the card on her. (Not likely, but possile.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

-Inu- posted:

It's actually illegal in Georgia ;)
I get the feeling that whether it's explicitly in the law, any cop that catches you doing it could easily give you a reckless ticket.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redscare posted:

I would hate cyclists a lot less if they obeyed the god drat rules of the road like everyone else.
A million times this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ephphatha posted:

This is why I like NSW

If you're on a bicycle you've got the same rights as everyone else. You're also held to the same standards as everyone else.

(And yet people are still spandex wearing wankers... :()
This is true everywhere I've looked. The point is that bicyclists riding solo (groups are generally not a problem in my experience), either don't know that (not likely) or don't care. The problem is that if some idiot biker darts out in front of me in a car and I hit them, it's MY insurance that pays, MY premium that goes up, and ME that risks a lawsuit because he doesn't think he needs to stop at red lights. Hell, I had a bicyclist try to cut me off when I was riding my biek one time. I kind of looked at him, made a face he probably couldn't see, and rolled on the throttle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redscare posted:

You have this backwardst. If a cyclist doesn't follow the road rules, he stands a good chance of being being seriously injured or killed and most people aren't the sort of sociopaths that are going to care more about the dent on their car rather than the fact that they may well have killed a person (it can really screw a person up).
Yeah. When I had my motorcycle accident, the girl who caused it was more freaked out than I was.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Come on guys, you mean you haven't seen the enormous black streaks and smell of burned rubber outside every dealership?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Persh posted:

undercover Forerunner (wtf kind of cop car is that)
I've seen all sorts of weird undercover cop cars. SUVs are not uncommon for this at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I live in NoVA and don't own a car. I may get one next year, though. Still, drivers here are insane, and I won't go near a highway on a bike, even if it means it takes me an extra hour of sitting at lights to get somewhere.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Holy poo poo. Glad you're largely okay. Heal quick!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Anything with normal spokes. I think only BMW has run a spoked rim without tubes because the spokes attached to the outside edge of the rim, outside of where the tire bead sits. Any other spoked rim has to have a tube unless the owner has done some kind of a custom sealing job on the spokes (which I've seen a couple times on the internet but wouldn't trust to hold air long term) to make every spoke hole in the rim airtight.
KTM has tubeless spoked wheels, as well. Looks like Ducati and Moto Guzzi have or had them, as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

I've got like a $5,000 deductible on my insurance so I'm not going to the hospital without good reason. If I had a concussion I can't imagine I'd have been able to ride home, or make it into work, right?
Wrong. Go get checked.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

I wonder is that 32-40k gross or take home?
With an AA? Gross. Unless you manage to pick up a trade like plumbing or something, then it might be net. You'd have to be really lucky to start pulling more than that. It's not impossible, but it's also not likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wear what fits best, not what pro racers wear. (If those happen to be one and the same, great! Personally, Arais give me a headache in like five minutes.)

• Locked thread