Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Well grabbed wreck numero dos today, got t-boned by someone turning left. I had a feeling something would happen too because there was a car turing left in the same direction that I was going and blocking the view of anyone turning left going the other way so I slowed down just in case and she went square into me anyway. Bike needs a new lower fender, right-side mirror and peanut cover (which meant I got to push it about 8 blocks to my apartment).

Oh and I'm fine except a bruise on my back although I do need a new helmet obviously.

Everything should work out, someone called 911 so the cops showed up and I got a report this time, though I would have been fine with like $600 in cash from her.

She's hosed though, no valid license so her car got impounded and her bumper got ripped off almost completely by my footpeg.

loving intersections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

drat dude, glad you're alright.

Does she have insurance? You'll probably end up collecting the full value of the bike if she does, as they total it. Then you can buy it back as a salvage title, fix it up on the cheap, and pocket the extra cash.

I honestly don't see how it would be totaled, the damage to it is pretty minimal.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Any scratches to any fairings? If so...replacement. Side cover, fender, and mirror + labor and any fairings that got scratched will total an easy 2k.

Well I don't have any lower fairings and all the other ones were already hosed to some degree or another anyway. Only the front fender got busted up in the wreck. I guess I could be all sketchy about it and try to profit but I'd rather just minimize the amount of hassle I have to go through.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Well I looked at it again this morning and I think you're going to end up being right about it being totaled, the forks look a bit tweaked and, now that I think about it, pushing it back to my apt was harder than it should have been.

In its current state the bike is probably worth $1200 at best and if the forks and any other part of the front end need replacing, well, its curtains for the Fizzer.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

This just reminded me of some advice for you goons on bikes:

If you're in an accident caused by someone else, and someone calls an ambulance, or you think you need one, get in it and go to the hospital. This for two reasons: 1) Just because you feel fine, there's a chance you aren't and will probably start to feel in it a couple of hours.

And for the Aussies here: 2) It's automatically at least a Neg Driving charge for the person at fault if someone needs an ambulance.

Unless you're an American and they don't have insurance in which case that ambulance ride and hospital stay might bankrupt you

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I wonder what the statistics are if you take no-gear squids and no-front-brake Harleys out of the equation

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

It can be a good call to slow early while the light is still red even if you know the light will go green before you get there. Just roll off early, flicker your brake lights, and glance at your mirrors if you think you've got someone who could run up your rear end.

LA is balls deep in dangerous intersections thanks to the complete absence of protected left turns. I always slow up when approaching them if there's traffic cars blocking the view of oncoming traffic. Of course, I still got hit but can't win em all. loving LA drivers.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, same principal as deer. You have no loving idea what the thing's going to do, so it's best to slow down and prepare as best you can, rather than start swerving all over and possibly making yourself crash anyway.

Animal's reactions are essentially random, so you want to be in as much control as possible to compensate.

gently caress deer. If I see one, I'm slowing to a crawl until I get past the suicidal fucker.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

Abso-loving-lutely. And really, any sort of large animal on the side of the road, I loving idle past, be it deer, horses, cattle, anything. Every time I see one, I flash back to the OZYMANDIAS thread on ADV.

That is the most depressing thread on the internet

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Coredump posted:

Link please.

If you really want to get depressed as hell on a Monday, its your funeral

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136505

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Scrapez posted:

Glad you avoided it. I'm always worried about hitting them here riding at night. Even in town they're everywhere.

I think we need a "near crash" thread. I about bit it hardcore today going over some rough railroad tracks. Hand off the bar, rear end off the seat, front wheel squirrelly, no clue how I didn't go down.

Speaking of near-crashes, almost ended up in the rear end end of a Suburban that decided to stop suddently today. Reflexively grabbed a handful of brake, heard the telltale sound of a locked brake, which made my brain snap to attention and fortunately there was no car next to me and I could swerve and avoid the fucker. Man that sucked.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Zool posted:

You are either following too closely or not paying enough attention. Easy way to get yourself killed.

Yeah I was riding overly aggressively because traffic was completely poo poo thanks to the USC game and I was impatient. Wasn't smart at all.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

Laaaaaaane splitting :)

Yeah, exactly.

Speaking of, apparently Brad Pitt hosed it up, clipped a parked car's mirror, and dropped his bike the other day.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Oh poo poo, the TMZ (I don't read the site actively, just saw it linked) story I saw mentioned nothing about him getting buzzed by a paparazzo. That's hosed up.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

All of downtown SF is one huge clusterfuck of waiting for people to left turn you. So much visual clutter, it's difficult to pick out a bike in the best of times, and most drivers honestly just suck.

The core of Los Angeles is the same way :smith:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Becktastic posted:

Yeah, new shrouds are $150, I found a used one on ebay that will run me about $70 with shipping, but it's all scuffed and has a crack. :/ I can't decide which is the better deal, I feel pretty shafted either way. My dad is going to take a look at the bike and possibly fabricate metal cowls for me, not sure if there's anything that would be protective enough while staying lightweight. If not, maybe he can make me some crashbars, all the aftermarket ones are being dissed for bending in too easily and breaking the plastics anyway.

What you should do is trade it in for an 07 or earlier that doesn't have all of those ridiculous and unnecessary plastics :)

I don't know WTF Kawasaki was thinking when designing the new KLR. "Hey guys, you know what this bike that is meant to be used off-road and will probably be dumped relatively often needs? FAIRINGS!"

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

DiZ posted:

Good to hear you are ok physically and also legally, nothing worse then being hit by a car then having the driver trying to save their own skin by blaming you.

Happened to me in my first wreck, that sucked.

Made a happy profit in the second one because it was flagrantly her fault!

glad you're ok, tentacle

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Tentacle Party posted:

Whoa, i just went down to the holding yard to check out the bike. There is almost no damage. I took pictures and will post them as soon as i get home. All i could see was a scuff mark on the fairing, the crash slider and mirror is scratched and the bottom of the fork has some scratches. The windscreen is also cracked but thats it! Unless the fork is now bent, or there is some rim damage i couldnt see, i dont see this being a huge repair job.

Yet the car will need a new quarter panel, door skin and mirror.

SV: 1 Opel: 0

Odds are good that your forks are bent just enough to no longer be useable

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Tentacle Party posted:

:ohdear: If thats the case then i would rather buy it back and make it naked, slap some GSXR forks and wheels on there and call it a day. I really cant think of another bike i would want!

Are SV fairings made from some rare polymer harvested from some gay blue cat planet somewhere?

All fairings are like that, at least when you look at OEM prices

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

ohwandernearer posted:

That is intense and I wish you well in your recovery. Just for the record, you were wearing a full helmet? Were there any witnesses to acquire the story from?

By the sound of it, he wasn't wearing any kind of helmet.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Scrapez posted:

I hear ya. Agree to disagree. I'd rather crush my melon than be responsible for doing that to someone else.

Seriously, I'd sooner squid it up 100% than have a passenger wear a "used" helmet, I don't want that poo poo on my conscience. Hell, I've yet to carry one just cause I don't have a second set of gear.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Crayvex posted:

For the love of... it's reasoning like your brother's that will push states to pass even more laws to protect morons from themselves.

In Michigan in addition to the helmet law, we have an eye protection law as well. If you are going over 35 MPH you must have a windscreen or eye protection. I sort of wish they would pass a law requiring additional protection. I'm sick of paying out the rear end for motorcycle insurance because of the retards that refuse to wear proper gear.

Bike insurance is expensive because squids wreck their GIXXERS and then run up $4000 comprehensive coverage bills fixing all the plastics, not because they get dangerously close to taking themselves out of the gene pool. That just drives up your health-insurance premiums and even then its negligible compared to the legions of geezers that have more chemicals in them than a DuPont plant.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
That seems like a very bad piece of government policy

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

laymil posted:

Of course, by the same logic, supersport riders should get a discount for installing frame sliders since the expensive plastic fairings won't get destroyed.

This is actually a pretty brilliant idea that would probably save the insurance companies a shitload of money

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

the_reject posted:

If some insurance companies are willing to cancel your policy because you take your car or bike out to the local track for a non-timed, non-competitive track day

I've heard of companies cancelling warranties over track time, but not insurance companies canceling policies except in cases where it was fraud (e.g. guy wrecks on track, makes it look like he wrecked on a street to file a claim since insurance doesn't cover track time)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

the_reject posted:

I haven't checked the T's and C's with my bike policy (Dairyland), but I know that USAA will cancel my car policy for trackdays, timed or untimed. The verbiage used is vague enough that even an autocross meet would be grounds for them canceling me.

That makes no sense

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

Autocross is a risk, albeit not much for crashing if you're not an idiot, but at least for higher wear on your vehicle.

or (not sure what didnt make sense to you)

Ts and Cs - Terms and Conditions

What makes no sense is why an insurance company would cancel your policy over a track day since they don't normally cover track days anyway. I seriously had never heard of this before now.

Yeah additional wear and tear, but that's out of their purview. Its not like they check to make sure you do your brakes when they wear out and don't ride around on bald tires.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Zool posted:

Trackday thread cross-post: bonus picture content

:gonk: gently caress that looks painful

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

After a couple thousand miles as a pedal road biker, one season of motorcycle riding with armored clothing and full face helmet has made me feel 100% unsafe on my pedal bike. Seriously, spandex and 'skid lid'? I pretty much ride the same roads with both bikes, but I feel completely naked on the pedal bike now thinking about poo poo like what you saw.

(lol, excuse to be lazy goon?)

Anyone that pedal-bikes any road that's liable to be filled with squids, ricers, et al is probably lacking a bit in the self-preservation department to begin with.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Do you take perfect care every time you poo poo? Nah, you just get your poo poo done and move on with your life.

Now I don't know about you, but i take taking a poo poo VERY seriously :colbert:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

pr0zac posted:

Had the exact same thing that I posted about in the almost crashed thread last week happen again, this time I wasn't as lucky. Guy cut in front of me into the carpool lane, I swerved into the shoulder to avoid rear ending him, hit debris of some sort, rear tire slid out, and I high sided off the bike. Luckily I wasn't in a lane so that was the end of it.

I try to use cages as screens specifically because of this kind of poo poo. Even the dumbest of dumb motherfuckers isn't going to merge square into a car. And if one does, well then God decided that it was time for your rear end to go burn in hell and there ain't a thing to do about it. Glad you're ok, that could have been real bad as I'm sure you're aware.

Also you seem to have been operating under the assumption that the cager will see you. He won't. Ever. Hell I keep my eyes out for bikes like a hawk when I'm in a car and sometimes I still get buzzed by one out of nowhere. Think of the odds of a bubmblefuck in a Camry with his mind half in his iPhone and half in some coochie seeing you. Exactly. I actually never ride in the carpool lane unless traffic is heavy enough to warrant it and in that case, they're usually attentive enough to see you before merging simply because they don't want to hit a car.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Sarthek posted:

I'd buy a crash bung for it, but I'd say we're somewhat past that stage at this point...

Can't hurt to do it anyway, its not like it won't be taking naps here and there (unless you have no intention of using the GS for its intended purpose)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Mother of gently caress you two are lucky sons of bitches. Good luck with the hands. At least neither of you were on a Firebolt! :downsrim:

I had my first off-road drops earlier thanks to failing to adhere to the cardinal rule of dealing with sand: DON'T loving STOP. Also I didn't realize just how much of a fat pig the KLR is until I had to pick it up in sand. On a hill. gently caress that sucked.

Also also, hockey puck ME880s are (predictably) rear end off-road.

Additionally, I'm lucky I'm not making this from the hospital as some dick in a big red Tundra locked it up and came within inches of bulldozing me on the superslab cause it got backed up suddenly.

redscare fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 1, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

The bike probably won't start because they don't respond well to being on their sides. Does the 250 have a prime setting?

Otherwise, you're probably just going to have to crank it for a bit to get it running.

Its this. When carbed bikes take naps, fuel leaves the carbs and goes onto the pavement (at least with both of mine it did) and you gotta sit on the start button for a while until they get refilled again.

Do all that other stuff z3n said, the damage sounds pretty minor.

Speaking of 250s and crashes, one of the girls that works here might have been hit on her way in this morning (edit: was just told she clipped a mirror while splitting, oops). I think she's only been riding for like 5 months.

redscare fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 19, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Saga posted:

A friend of mine went off a cliff on his RC51 and bounced off every tree on the way down (not poetic licence). He then ran back up the side of the cliff before collapsing. Fractured pelvis and internal bleeding. Just to make his day complete, the air ambulance got caught in a thunderstorm and he thought he was going to die (for the second or third time that day, I guess). Then he had to fly home in coach class. :cry:

Holy loving poo poo

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Get proper riding boots man, unless you like the idea of your foot being at a 90 degree angle in a direction its not supposed to bend in.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Ringo R posted:

Maybe slightly NWS https://wi.somethingawful.com/69/693def007f67c29eb4fc81b15fc0faff0a02b209.jpg

Crashed into a tricycle at night. It didn't have any lights nor did that particular stretch of road. Didn't see him before it was too late. Something sliced open a big chunk of my leg. I could see my muscles underneath the flap of flesh that was hanging off my leg. This shot is taken a bit over a week after the accident. It's doesn't seem to be healing very well :/

Uh, why is that not thoroughly bandaged up? It looks like it might be getting ready to get infected.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Ow ow ow ow ow holy gently caress ow

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Never mind cited, did the cops take a report?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Porkchop Express posted:

people trying to be hot poo poo doing tricks and failing miserably.

those are the best ones

• Locked thread