Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

The thing that frustrates me about that argument is that nothing is stopping anyone from riding a motorcycle. If you are capable of driving a car, you are capable of riding a motorcycle. There's a whole group of people out there who are dedicated riders with assorted physical disabilities.

If they're so pissed about it, why don't they buy a bike and lane split? I'm convinced that some people just feel like they're being called pussies by every rider that splits by, because they always wanted to ride but figure they can't for some reason.

Many are bitter because their wives "won't let them" and they don't have the stones to man up and do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

M4rg4r1ne posted:

Crocs on a scooter? Were you that dude who nailed the guardrail on Mulholland?

:ssh: I think he's trying to make a funny.

Jokes on him, we ain't the ones wearing crocs.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

They look like they don't fit, so maybe they're his boyfriend's?

No that's just crocs being crocs.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

SlightlyMadman posted:

And how exactly would you know that? Hmmm?

Living in SoCal, I've seen far too many dudes in crocs and their female counterparts, chicks in Uggs.

I can't talk too much poo poo since I like wearing FiveFingers but those look way less stupid than Crocs or Uggs in 80 degree weather.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

are those the funky individual toed rubber shoe things?

Yessir. They freakin rule. Don't recommend riding in them though!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Kommando posted:

Hardly, around here motorists HATE bicyclists. With a firey passion.
which is a shame because theres hardly ever a bike lane and cars will think nothing of shoving "those spandex wearing hippies" off the road.

The hate of bicyclists comes from two flavors of douchebag:

First are the Lance Armstrong wanna-bes that ride three/four wide and unnecessarily take up a good chunk of a lane aand tend to not obey street signs or lights.

Second are the fixie types that ride like they have deathwishes, don't have brakes, and don't obey street signs or lights.

I would hate cyclists a lot less if they obeyed the god drat rules of the road like everyone else.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

nsaP posted:

This argument is the worst because most drivers don't follow the rules. I've never run into a cyclist that deserves the hate.

Habitually running red lights and stop signs is different from California rolling and generally not paying attention.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Aargh posted:

I always seem to stick up for the cyclist in a lot of these online arguments, the thing is if a cyclist doesn't follow the road rules they might cause a very small amount of damage to a car, whereas when the car driver stands a very real chance of killing or severely injuring a cyclist when they don't follow the rules.

You have this backwardst. If a cyclist doesn't follow the road rules, he stands a good chance of being being seriously injured or killed and most people aren't the sort of sociopaths that are going to care more about the dent on their car rather than the fact that they may well have killed a person (it can really screw a person up).

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
That actually looks like fairly minimal damage but I can't tell if the forks are bent or not

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I have that same jacket, any idea why you got the scuff on your forearm?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Bondematt posted:

Jesus Christ are people really this bad? I stop when I see a fender bender cause who knows? The person could be having a heart attacking causing the drat accident.

Yes, people are that bad.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Deer are nature's suicide bombers. Glad you escaped the terror attack unscathed.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

M4rg4r1ne posted:

So are replacement engine casings really cheap or something?

I don't know about casings on newer bikes, but the casings for my FZR cost around $100-150 IIRC.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

mootmoot posted:

I don't know why it happens.

"Crushing levels of stupid" comes to mind

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

Ugh, that's loving horrific.

Big vehicles give me the shits sometimes. Some months back I (fortuitously) hesitated at a junction one morning and a dumptruck breezed through at the speed limit, close enough for me to see the whites in the glazed eyes of the driver.

Intermodal trucks in particular scare the poo poo out of me

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
And why I stay far far away from group rides of any sort.

For fucks sake.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Perhaps Cycle Asylum needs a new title, "Group riding makes you stupid."

Motion seconded

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Anarchist posted:

I was in another universe and didnt feel a thing

Sounds like Vitamin K alright

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

So I didn't do it, but someone else successfully totalled my car and my bike in one fell swoop! Inside my parking garage!

Long story short, guy hit gas instead of brake, hit the wall in reverse, then put it in drive and slammed my bike into my car then through a wall (almost).

I'm sad, it was my grandfathers car and also the nicest 83 supra around :(

Holy balls that blows epically

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

I bought a new honda though :unsmith: time to get some hybrid fuel economy. I'll also still be looking for a 250x, perhaps I'll graduate to a DRZ. Who knows, haven't talked to the adjuster yet.

Please tell me you didn't buy an Insight or a CR-Z

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Aargh posted:

I wake up to 70 odd new posts in this thread and was worried something had happened to someone. Turns out there was a minor crash, some self diagnosed mild concussion and a bit of sperging, ah SA.

Without turning this into a social welfare discussion, as an Australian it boggles my mind that someone would suffer a mild concussion and not go to the hospital to get himself checked out, or would pass up a ride to the hospital by the EMT's just to save a few bucks.

Same, saw 92 new posts and thought someone died. Turned out, some guy just tried to "walk it off" a concussion cause he has poo poo insurance and seems more concerned about his drat Shoei than his melon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Royale with Cheese posted:

Had a friend crash in front of me yesterday. I was following behind him and he took a decreasing radius turn too quickly on an unfamiliar road. Caught up just in time to see him cross into the southbound lane and wrap around a guardrail. Luckily he was wearing a helmet and jacket, ended up with a solid concussion and a few lacerations. Bike had somewhat significant damage and might be totalled, but the rider was flown out by helicopter and most certainly had his head scanned at the hospital. And he won't be recycling the helmet either, the visor separated and tore the brackets out.

That sucks, but at least he was relatively ok. Hope he has good insurance, helicopter rides are money.

quote:

Later on that day I was doing another backroad and got stung by a bee while group riding. Couldn't stop and check it out for ten minutes as there weren't any shoulders or driveways to pull into. lovely day for riding but it could be worse.

That happened to me once, fucker hit me right in the neck then bounced off. Hurt for a week.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Sweet LF chat guys

There's nothing "LF" about a dude having to do mental gymanstics to justify not going to a hospital after a drat motorcycle crash. Despite all the poo poo said in his direction, I can actually identify since when I refused medical attention after my first crash a few years ago because I had no money and my insurance was some lovely HMO and I had no idea if it would cover an ambulance ride that may or may not have been "out of network." Fortunately in my case, my shoulder took most of the impact and my head just scraped the ground instead of slamming into it. I also didn't experience any post-concussion symptoms, otherwise I would have found my way to an ER, bills be damned. Its not a calculation that should have to be made in a developed country.

• Locked thread