Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

mutt2jeff posted:

Wrecking girlfriend's bike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUowB3AhL7I

What bike was that? Sounds great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Zool posted:

I tried to lock up the rear to slide the back of the bike around the corner and take the inside.

For future reference, the correct method to do this is to quickly shift down a gear or two so the rear tire slows down enough to break free and slide, but continues moving so you still have control and can stop the slide. Learning to do it in an empty parking lot is relatively safe and lots of fun but will likely result in coming back to post here about how you highsided in a parking lot because you listened to that idiot pr0zac.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Applicable to current discussion.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Had the exact same thing that I posted about in the almost crashed thread last week happen again, this time I wasn't as lucky. Guy cut in front of me into the carpool lane, I swerved into the shoulder to avoid rear ending him, hit debris of some sort, rear tire slid out, and I high sided off the bike. Luckily I wasn't in a lane so that was the end of it.

Bike is mostly ok, the fairings were already scraped to hell. I completely shattered one of the frame sliders and broke the rear brake, and the throttle doesn't rebound automatically anymore, otherwise its functional. I'm ok other than a slightly tweaked elbow and a hosed up backpack. My helmet doesn't appear to have any damage at all which is weird cause I swear I remember my head hitting pretty hard. Will probably send it into Shoei to get it x-rayed or just be lazy and replace it. Always love an excuse to buy new gear.

Definitely need to rethink how I'm commuting to work. I've always tried to keep a nice cushion of space between me and the car in front of me, but that seems to result in idiots cutting me off constantly. Maybe I'll just go back to taking the bus.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You need to be positioned on the side of the lane furtherest from the other traffic, covering the brakes and watching the cars like a hawk. You're watching for the drivers turning their heads, drifting in their lane, wheels starting to turn. Bad as it sounds, if there's a hard shoulder next to you, it might be worthwhile closing up on the car in front, and be ready to dodge left/right if someone slams on the brakes.

Yeah it seems thats the best idea. I'd been thinking if I held to the right I'd be less likely to get cut off because people would be more likely to see my headlight when glancing back. I probably shouldn't have assumed people would be glancing back. Live and learn.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Loving the fact that I get to post in here again a week later. 5 years riding with no big incidents then two in a week.

I completely destroyed my bike Sunday. My front suspension started leaking (probably because of my last wreck) and I'd been putting off fixing it, not thinking it was that big a deal. Was on a back one lane goat trail off Pescadero with my friend Matt, went over a crest followed by a right turn, hit some bumps, the front suspension went wonky and I target fixated into a ditch on the left side. Managed to keep the bike up, popped out of the ditch, hosed up suspension + big rear end bump = me gunning the throttle and the bike (and me) tumbling down the road.

I laid in the grass for a minute while Matt picked my bike up for me. I snapped the left clip-on, so we duct-taped it back together so I could ride the thing home annoying people on 35 having to wait behind my slow one-armed-riding rear end. Damage to the bike: the clipon, throttle tube all hosed up, mirror completely gone, tons of new scrapes and cracks to plastics, big dent in gas tank, rear trunk won't open anymore. All of the gear I had on short my jacket is done, gloves, boots, helmet, overpants, as we as the jeans I had underneath my overpants. I'm ok other than a severely pulled left quad and a big welt on my right forearm. Gear did its job sacrificing itself.

In conclusion, skimping on maintenance combined with riding like an idiot will result your crashing. Also, gear is an awesome awesome thing.

Lots of pictures cause people like pictures:
Bike (check out those leaking front forks!):

Gears (warning crotch shot):

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 19, 2010

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

It's just a term used for roads that are bumpy as poo poo and don't have a centerline dividing the lanes. I think it's probably generally a bay area term.

pr0zac, glad you're ok. You're a braver man than me for riding those roads with a hosed front suspension, I still remember catching air off some of the bumps on ice cream grade on my 929. Damage just looks cosmetic, besides the clipon.

Braver probably isn't the right word. Stupider more like. It was the sophomore year self-confidence thing, I just waited til year 5 to get it. Feeling way too sure of myself and riding beyond what I knew was safe.

Just blew $765 replacing my boots, gloves, overpants, and helmet. Expensive lesson and I haven't even started on the bike. Bought those Knox Handroid gloves I wanted and I had an excuse so I guess thats a good thing.

I'm actually relatively surprised how little damage there is to the bike. Matt said both me and the bike barrel rolled a few times. I was planning on street fightering the thing anyway so I guess this is a good incentive to get on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

toolshed posted:

Just out of curiosity, which road was this - alpine? (Although I guess that's not super close to Pescadero proper...)

Just went back and looked, it was on Gazo Creek Rd. Pretty sure this is where I wrecked. (Bonus motorcycle on Google cam).

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 21, 2010

• Locked thread