Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ablank
Jan 31, 2004
Well, here is my getoff
It happened between Deals Gap and the Skyway.

I was riding with Silver and Squishy Buddha. We'd been cooking down the Skyway got to the end stopped for fuel, food, water and a quick rest then cut over to the Dragon. I was a bit tired, but it was early in the day and wanted to get some miles in. I was ridding in the middle and following Squishy, we were going a bit quick, but staying close to the speed limit. At one point Squishy was dragging his foot through a turn motard style, and without thinking I did the same thing, at this point I should have realized I was riding on auto pilot, just mimicking his line and movements.

A turn or two later, I target fixated on the end of a guard rail on the right side of a left hand turn. I was about half way through the lane doing about 70mph when I realized what was going on, got as far off the bike as I could, went full throttle and tried to tighten up the turn. The road had no shoulder and the rear tire slid off and lowsided, the rear tire came back up on to the road and high sided the bike. At this point I could see the sky, the bike, black, road, sky, bike repeat. Somehow when the bike high sided it got in front of me and I was tumbling along behind. Luckily there was no traffic on this two lane back road. Laying on my face I put my hands down to get up only to jam my finger as I was sliding down the road still. One I finally stopped moving I looked left and right, saw the bike on fire and Silver coming through the turn with his eyes as wide as saucers. We put the fire out, and then realized I shouldn't be moving, I laid down in the grass and slowly my gear was removed to check for damage. I was lucky, jammed pinky and a quarter sized bit of rash on my left shoulder from the jacket shifting

So any way, pics

Bike

me

RF1000 Most of the damage was to the back and right side

Looking out from the exit of the turn, the skid marks coming in from the middle are my tires before the highside

Looking back at the turn and the guardrail of my near doom

Gear Pics

Also busted a zipper on the jacket and some stitching on my A* boots.

bike was a write off, the fire took out the main harness, the clutch cover was destroyed, all controls broken, exhaust bent, subframe bent, forks bent, new chain, sprockets and tires were all that weren't too bad. Every piece of plastic that had just been replaced was either rashed worse than before it was replaced or burnt/cracked. Luckily it was a salvage when I got it 20,000 miles before this happened.

What I learned: If you're riding without actively thinking about what you are doing get off the bike and rest. Even if it's only been 100 miles, changes in altitude and riding style can wear you out faster than you think. I don't feel that I was riding out side of my comfort zone, I just wasn't thinking about the ride I was on and didn't have the focus required for riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread