Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

And even more especially in the rain.

First time I rode my bike in the rain (well not raining at the time, ground was wet though) I managed to fishtail coming up to a stop on a downhill section by releasing the clutch too fast. Only riding in dry weather makes you forget a lot of that stuff. Now when its raining I always make a point of heading out to practice to refamiliarize myself with low traction conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
First pants-making GBS threads off-road experience today. :dance:

Ever since the MSF course I have been repeating various things in my head during my rides (outside-inside-outside, get vertical for a stop, etc). A road that I like to take has lots of curves, some in quick succession and others are wide and sweeping. I was reminding myself of the path until I got glare in my eyes and couldnt track the curve of the road until it was too late. Started slowing as I went around a sweeping turn, couldnt see in front of me, hit a part of shade and realized I was about 6" away from the outside line with a nice dropoff combined with a broken ledge making up the side of the road... nice 2 foot ditch to top it off. Two choices in my head, try to lean and make the turn, but risk hitting the edge in a lean, or right myself and try to follow a path off the road. ABS ended up saving my rear end bigtime when I went off the road surface, dropped about 6" from the pavement into a rut, and magically ABS kept my tire spinning under some pants-making GBS threads panic braking. I hit the curve going about 45-50 or so, and kept steady decreasing speed once I left the road.

By the graces of God the bike stayed completely upright and stable and as soon as I saw a clean path back up the road at the edge of an upcoming driveway I leaned to the side and got back on the road like nothing happened :psyduck:.

Few lessons learned from today:

1. Sunlight is a bitch when it blinds you

2. MSF is awesome, since I took it a week previous still had the words stuck in my head to upright the bike before I tried to stop, which kept the bike stable as I left the road

3. ABS is the most awesome feature possible on a motorcycle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

zap actionsdower! posted:

Destroyer of side-mirrors

Holy hell glad you survived that!

What type of helmet were you wearing? Was it a top hat style or 3/4? Was the guy arrested or charged with anything? Do you ever plan to ride again?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Might also be wise to contact Fedex corporate and report it. If the guy has a record of almost killing people they might want to adjust his role as needed. There is also the chance that they could be more friendly than an insurance company would be for replacement, repair, or settlement.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Yea he only had a change of heart because he got caught, gently caress him. Will teach him to not only be a better driver, but also not try to get away with poo poo next time when perhaps someone isnt watching.

The only issue that might come up is if he is higher ranking at work, and becomes your supervisor/boss.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

100 Years in Iraq posted:

drat, where do you people live? When I highsided, I had like 6 cops, an ambulance and a paramedic there within about 3 minutes, and other than a bruised rear end I really was fine.

Although the cop didn't write the old lady who made me crash a ticket. :mad:

All depends on the area, if the cop budget is nice, and if the area is rather wealthy. Around Cincinnati there are parts with insane amounts of cops. They have 2 that direct traffic for a Wendy's and Taco Bell every day. Cars with a flat tire get there own cop to direct traffic around them, and any crash gets 2+ cars.

The one motorcycle crash I saw that happened near me that looked like someone sliding off the road into a big ditch had 2 fire engines, rescue squad, and a few cop cars. The few encounters I have had with cops have also been great. They seem to be decent in this area and really friendly towards bikers. They even wave to you :iamafag:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Jesus christ I am raising my under-insured/uninsured amounts today :gonk:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Blaster of Justice posted:

You're a loving champ for posting this. I hope new riders will take a lesson of your pictures and start to use gear. Thumb of rule is that your first bike and your first gear should be a 50/50 split cost wise. Helmets and leather is loving important. I'm glad you got out of it without the beating your helmet took.

Gear is good yes, but I am not sure it has to be the most expensive gear. I think for a newbie rider a nice HJC helmet would be a better bet, since you probably will go down (usually at lower speeds) and bang up the helmet. While the rest of the gear might hold up, the helmet will have the be replaced, and if you have a super nice one it is going to rape your wallet.

That said I spent about 1200 on my first bike, and about 1000 on gear. If I would have purchased a new bike I dont think I would have purchased like 2500 in gear :v:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

ant mouth posted:

Lesson learned: gently caress swerving around a squirrel. I’m keeping my line next time because either way, you still have to hose off bits.

Hahaha yea I have flattened one or two small animals on my bike. Unless it is some golden retriever sized animal I am not risking my life to save anything that jumps in front of me besides a child or something.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Tsaven Nava posted:

Read all the way to page 13

Jesus christ it went from horrible to just hosed up :(

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

-Inu- posted:

My helmet visor nailed the windscreen I think, because there's a crack on the fairing there and my helmet visor is very very slightly scratched. I shouldn't need to replace the helmet right? I know it's always safer that way, but the actual helmet didn't impact, just my visor and it didn't even leave noticeable scratches.

Replace the helmet. I am 98% sure your head put enough force into the inside foam to distort it when you crashed.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

And that's why you let the cars go first to act as "sweepers."

yes/no

I find that I have much better deer visibility when I am riding at the front of the pack. I dont have an object blocking my line of sight, and less of a risk of a deer sprinting out behind a car and hitting myself in the process. That said I also have a fuckoff bright projector HID that makes deer's eyes glow like they are on fire, so I may be biased.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

OrangeFurious posted:

Mine too. I demand more details on this policy.

I can't find nothing of the sort, perhaps he donked his head hard enough and it is actually being covered through his motorcycle insurance :v:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

TiberiusM posted:

Didn't hit my head so my helmet is scratch free.

Inspect the poo poo out of your helmet. You dont want to find out later that you already used up some of the foams compressive abilities in this crash. If it wasn't a crazy expensive model I would put it aside for passenger duty or something and get a new primary helmet.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Scrapez posted:

Good advice on the first part, not so much on the second. If you won't wear it yourself, I'd definitely not put it on someone else.

Sorry to hear about the crash.

Maybe I am an evil bastard but if a helmet was dropped or something I am not going to toss it. It still provides better protection than nothing and carrying passengers is still a novelty for me. If I was doing a cross country trip with someone on the back of the bike I might think twice, but if a friend or family member just wants a ride around the block or something they get the old retired helmet.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

MrZig posted:

Apparently he was riding in Vancouver at city speeds with his buddy, when he passed out and the fell over on his left side.

Drunk or something like a seizure?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

n8r posted:

Pretty sure gear wouldn't have mattered with regard to the broken bones.

Depending on if the ankle folded causing the lower break, it might have saved him from that one with proper tall riding boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
This just unfolded down the street from my house today :(

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_news/2-motorcycles-collide-with-semi-catch-fire-in-new-richmond

quote:

NEW RICHMOND, Ohio - Two people are dead and two others are injured following a fiery crash involving three motorcycles and a cement truck in New Richmond Tuesday afternoon.

The crash happened at Adamson Road and U.S. 52 just before 2:30 p.m.

A witness tells 9 News she was behind the three motorcycles where the road narrows from four lanes to two when one of the bikes went left of center and struck the cement truck head-on. The truck then lost control and crashed into the other two motorcycles.

Two of the motorcyclists were pronounced dead at the scene, according to police. The other victim, described as a man in his 50s, was transported to the hospital by a medical helicopter with burns.

The truck ended up on its side. The driver was transported to Clermont Mercy Hospital.

No names have been released.

U.S. 52 remains shut down in both directions.

No other information has been released at this time.

• Locked thread