Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was originally admonishing sirbeefalot in my head for lane splitting at such a high speed, then I looked up CA law. Anywhere I've been that lane splitting was allowed, it was at low speeds. California, on the other hand, has no real restrictions it seems.

Good legally, but still dangerous. I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing it over 25 or 30 because I ride a motorcycle and I know how little attention people pay.

That said, I'm glad it sounds like it will work out for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Synonamess Botch posted:

I don't think speed matters, but rather speed differential. As long as you're only going 5-10mph above traffic there should be no issue.

Also, where have you been that only permits filtering at low speed? Not in the US, right?

I tried to think of it, then realized that it was probably related to me anecdotally and when I went to look up places I'd been that allowed it (Cali, the UK, France, maybe the dutch or germans? not sure) none of them seemed to have that as part of the law, mostly just no more than X over traffic.

So I guess it was just some bullshit I've believed for a while. Thanks.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Embarrassing maybe but at least you came out alright, it would be way more embarrassing if that landed you in the hospital.

I've only hit the ground once and it was at 0 speed so it's the same kind of thing. I locked up the rear brake when i was new to riding on some leaves at a stop sign, and the bike came to a stop with the rear wheel a foot or two to the left of the front. The bike just tipped and hurt my pride and brake levers.

That's always better than tipping the bike and breaking a leg or something, hah.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think what normally happens is the rear starts to slip out and then you...

fall. At least I do. But at least you minimized it, which is all you can do in your situation.

That super curved lever isn't the first.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Korwen posted:

Doesn't the MSF teach the practice of standing the bike up straight and braking quickly if you were in a turn and needed to stop? Is that the proper way?

I remember the MSF being really specific about braking when upright for the most part (and I tend to do this still), but the truth is you can brake with the bike at a lean, you just can't break as much and if you brake too hard and lock it up you're in a world of hurt.

Obviously you aren't riding like them, but you should check out the onboards of the motogp riders that you can see some time. Many times they're breaking all the way into the apex.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I broke my 5th metatarsal in a drunken accident I don't remember a few years ago and spent a few months in a boot. It's annoying to be sure, but could be way worse. Maybe you'll get to lose the cast for a boot soon, tho your break looks worse than mine.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Kommando posted:

Four weeks later, im out of my cast and into a moon boot but i dont think its healing correctly.

Tuesday i go to wait two hours to see Dr Douchebag MD. who might actually look at my CT this time.
then he'll probably threaten me with surgery again.

what a shitfight the public hospital system is. and the osteo at my local private is on holiday for three weeks.

Public hospital is treating your and you private is on vacation and you're upset with the public?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I don't even know how people get a knee down on the street, but I ride a standard and I'm tall so that might have something to do with it. I probably have a half inch of chicken strip on my rear tire and I'm fine with that, I'm already zipping thru some fun tight turns too fast, and if I lowside into most of them there's plenty of hard stuff to run into.

Honestly though, you'd have to have some big balls or just be dumb at some parts, because tight turns that are high visibility and a recommended 25mph I've hit at 55 and not been close to a knee on the ground, and I still have the aforementioned .5 in of chicken strip in the back.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Interesting, perhaps next time I go out I'll try to hang off more monkey like. I tend to just slide over and keep one cheek on or so, except sometimes on a corner exit when I'm giving it gas and doing "The Pedrosa" so to speak.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My only wreck was a 0mph tip caused by a locked rear wheel that kicked out to the side at about 3mph and so the bike just plopped over when I came to a stop.

I just rarely use the rear brake now. Low traction and low speed mainly.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

redscare posted:

I would hate cyclists a lot less if they obeyed the god drat rules of the road like everyone else.

This argument is the worst because most drivers don't follow the rules. I've never run into a cyclist that deserves the hate.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A good reminder to first ride what you see and second what you know, huh?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
How do you burnout the edge?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I only went to a dealership once long enough to figure out they don't test ride bikes (Japanese Company duh). I doubt I'll ever buy a bike from a dealer.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

LO Technology posted:

I seriously have no idea why people keep doing this. I've heard it a lot though, but only from Americans. Is the loving car-autobox an issue here or what?

This is not intended as a flame, I'm just genuine curious. I've never heard that crash excuse from any European.

Riding really fast is 30% knowing your gearbox, 30% knowing your brakes, divide the remaining 40% between clutch, frame, suspension and torque-curve.

I just have a really hard time trying to understand this. Why panic? It should take 1/10 of a second to realize that you're not in gear. You should realize this by just half releasing your clutch. 1/10 sec. later you should be fine.

Anyway. I'm glad you survived and the bike only took "minor" damage. I surely wouldn't like any of my bikes in your "minor damage"-zones though.

Well, mainly because he's American, but since he's only been riding a few months maybe it's just him being a new rider? I know Europeans never make mistakes as new riders, you'll have to bear with us here. New riding Americans have "oh poo poo" moments.

RE: Clutchless upshifts, even the 1-2? Maybe it's just my bike, but the times I've done the 1-2 upshift have either been really hard or it would just pop to N. 2-3 etc. are all pretty smooth, as long as I am.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
loving Americans.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

BlackLaser posted:

Just like boaters, you should carry an EPIRB. They have personal ones, google PLB.

http://www.acrelectronics.com/products/b/outdoor/catalog/personal-locator-beacons

For those of you not quite willing to throw down the cash for a GPS, tell someone where you're going. Any time I'm going to do some spirited rural backroads riding I'll let a friend know by text or voice (usually text so they don't have to remember roads) when I'm starting and what my route will be, and then when I'll check in again.

My one friend thinks it's morbid and asking for a wreck, but I think it's just smart.

"If I don't text you back within 30 minutes send an ambulance to RT 10 between Peach Grove and Willow"

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Tipped my bike stupidly today. I was just doing a U-turn on a 1.5 lane backroad and ran out of road. Instead of stopping and duck walking it I thought I could make it on the little bit of grass on the side. I didn't.

Front tire went over the slight drop in the road into the grass, I might have been fine but underneath the grass it was just muck. Even with the bars turned, the tire just slipped and momentum kept me moving the same angle I left the road at, and right for drainage run off that was a 6 inches deep with water. Grabbed the front brake at that point and tipped the bike in the mud.

Only damage was a turn signal popping out of it's mount and my pride, along with a slightly tweaked back from picking it up myself in the mud (thanks, MSF, for teaching me how to pick it up by facing away from it, probably would have struggled without that). I shut it off immediately and after picking it up and turning the key off and back on, it started right up. I took a few advil and cleaned it up. I don't think you could tell which side it went down on, so I lucked out really. Only damage as far as I can tell is from my formative years on it, and pictures I was taking to trade it potentially back that up, so I don't feel too bad.

A noob mistake on my part compounded with shittier-than-I-thought conditions on the side of the road. More parking lot drills are in my future.

Whoops, almost can't tell.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I am also curious as mine was scuffed before hand but not as scratched as bad as pictured. I'm pretty sure mine is bare metal but I've been wrong before.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

nsaP posted:

Tipped my bike stupidly today. I was just doing a U-turn on a 1.5 lane backroad and ran out of road. Instead of stopping and duck walking it I thought I could make it on the little bit of grass on the side. I didn't.

Front tire went over the slight drop in the road into the grass, I might have been fine but underneath the grass it was just muck. Even with the bars turned, the tire just slipped and momentum kept me moving the same angle I left the road at, and right for drainage run off that was a 6 inches deep with water. Grabbed the front brake at that point and tipped the bike in the mud.

Only damage was a turn signal popping out of it's mount and my pride, along with a slightly tweaked back from picking it up myself in the mud (thanks, MSF, for teaching me how to pick it up by facing away from it, probably would have struggled without that). I shut it off immediately and after picking it up and turning the key off and back on, it started right up. I took a few advil and cleaned it up. I don't think you could tell which side it went down on, so I lucked out really. Only damage as far as I can tell is from my formative years on it, and pictures I was taking to trade it potentially back that up, so I don't feel too bad.

A noob mistake on my part compounded with shittier-than-I-thought conditions on the side of the road. More parking lot drills are in my future.

Whoops, almost can't tell.

Went by and there's a mark in the dry mud where my tip was still. From where I was sitting at the time I would have sworn there was enough gravel and grass for me to go just off the side of the run off but still be okay, obviously not. I was looking thru my U-turn up until the point when the bike stopped turning and started sliding. Thru that whole line and before it I had the bars turned left to varying degrees trying to avoid poo poo and get it off the path to the ditch. I was trying to apply light front brake but I was poorly prepared for this and didn't move to the rear to try to slow myself that way in time. The squished up hunk at the end before the little water drainage area is when I just grabbed a handful of the front and tipped us both over to the left. Lame.

Stupid mistake again, but I'm lucky to come out of it with little damage to me or the bike and now I know some things I need to practice.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Do you're guy's disc locks not have little reminder bands? Mine has a plastic loop that goes thru the lock, then I wrap on the clutch. I don't use the disc lock that often so it helps although for the most part I remember, just because I've parked my bike in an area/situation where I felt the need to use the disc lock.

That said, I still started away with it on one time, but it wasn't a big deal. I stopped with a clunk a foot away and realized my idiocy. How fast are you all jetting away? Hah

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You can't save some people I guess, as much as it sucks. I can't convince my friend to get a smaller bike to start on and he barely has any experience driving (he gets crappy cars then kills them in 500 miles and scraps them, he's probably driven less than 1000 miles @ 22 years old when avg. for my friends that age in this area is at least 15k a year). The MSF costs 25 bucks here and I offered to pay and take it with him and he still won't do it. Right now he's looking at a ZX-6 to start on. I've become a broken record and am convinced I must sound like an annoying non-smoker to him, whenever I bring up a 500 or smaller and the loving MSF, so I've quit doing it.

The only thing that gives me calm is that he's so lazy and bad with cars that it's likely he'll buy something not running and it never will.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Forty Two posted:

There is another way:

A prime darkside candidate if I ever saw one.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
And I get to add to this as well...

After putting 150 miles or so on a new set of tires I decided to go enjoy the fun roads before the weather got too lovely, and mapped out 140 mile loop to do, including some roads I hadn't done before.

Long->short, lowsided in a hairpin at 15 or 20 probably, bike and I slid into the gravel side on the road and then I slid into the bike. The bitch is I don't even know what happened. Everything felt fine and then my bars were cranked over and I was sliding on my hip, knee/leg, and wrist/palm. There was some wet patches and a bit of debris in the road but nothing too bad, and up until my brain was going "what the gently caress" I felt fine and smooth, nothing off.

Anyway I'm sure I'll start bruising but for the most part my gear held up. I stuffed my shin into some part of the bike and that's the worst hit/scrape I have, the fall onto my hip and leg was soft-ish I guess.

Bike turned out surprisingly well as well. It's an FZ6 so the front plastics are all cracked but not terrible, the tail plastic is busted, the engine cover is scraped to poo poo, and the bar ends are scraped. I think it spun on the engine cover mainly, the scratches go all ways.

I picked it up and looked it over and it wasn't too bad tho, rode it the 60 or 70 miles back from where I wrecked inspecting it a few times and it feels normal. I guess I'll have to take it out again to check.

It's a little unnerving having it happen the first back run after I get new tires since they're gonna be around for a while but I'm just telling myself it was me or something else.

Ouch. Pity I got to post in here before I posted my pilot road 3's in the "what have you done to your bike" thread.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Maybe the front I guess, I had the rear scrubbed for sure and I'm pretty sure the front was far enough over, but it's a possibility. It was a left hander, and after I had run the tires for 75 miles or so I took it back to a parking lot and leaned it till the foot peg scraped a few times, which still left a nice ring on the edge of the tire. I was nowhere near foot peg-scraping lean when it happened.

I'm sitting here trying to remember it clearly...it was before the slowest part so I think I was on the outside of the lane, still on brakes but not much at all, like just letting off as I was getting to take a wide apex on it and throttle thru the turn. Maybe I just asked too much from a new patch of rubber...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
In our crash anecdotes, I can echo that when I just recently layer dan'd, 3 people went past without helping(rural area); one of them passed when I was picking the bike up and struggling a bit. Forgot to hold the front brake and all that.

On the other hand, every loving time I stop to take a picture for that dead picture thread, EVERYONE stops.

"Are you okay!??!?!?"

*Me, standing back framing a shot of my bike, camera in hand, picturesque scene in the background*

"Yes....thank you though"

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SlightlyMadman posted:

Dude there's a gang around here who will flash their headlights at you, and if you flash back they'll track you down and put spider eggs inside your face, then the spider eggs hatch out of your face unless you forward this email within 72 hours!

And I've heard down in Australia the Abbos will purposefully jump out in front of you to kill themselves because then you have to pay their money family or they can kill you back!!!!

Lol when did this thread turn into bullshit scare mongering wives' tales.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm wondering too but only because both sides are scraped up...

Do you remember the details of the actual crash or is it hazy? I know, for me at least, it's a choppy memory.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Rats with hooves that get on the road. Our town opened up bow hunting in certain areas to bring the numbers down. It's worked a bit, but people with more feeling than thought love the little things. I found out a week ago the reason there's a family in my yard every night is that my neighbor is feeding them :ughh:

Can I sue her when I hit one? It's to the point now where they come out during the day and it's a bit ridiculous. I had two in my yard when I took the bike out a few days ago at around 1 p.m., and coming back later they were still hanging around in my neighbors yard.

gently caress deer.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Why?

It's more comfortable for me to ride with my instep on the pegs, and aside from warnings about boots getting dragged under the bike during turning, I don't see what the issue is.

On the only bike I ride where that is an issue, I just switch the the ball of my foot right before the turn. The other bikes scrape the feelers on the pegs long before my boot gets close.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sir Cornelius posted:

Because riding with your instep on the peg might give you the bad, bad habit of resting your toes on the shifter. That's a pretty good way to learn all about gearbox shift-forks replacement.

If you promise to keep your dirty toes off the shifter, I see no real problem with your riding style though.

I'm duck footed as poo poo, breathe a sigh of relief my friend.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Not that your friends are responsible for your well-being, but it sucks that whoever you borrowed the gear from didn't have the common sense to know that you don't belong on public roads with no experience or formal training.

Not to speak for this guy's situation, but some friends can't be told. I have a buddy still looking for his first bike who can't be convinced to take the course because he's ridden a few hours of dirt and thinks he'll be fine. I've bugged him about it worse than a recently converted non-smoker, and still I don't think it'll work. It's only 25 drat dollars here so I'm signing him up for Christmas, but I have a feeling it'll be a waste of money.

In that case, you can be sure I'll give him some safety gear to start (as I'm sure he'll go out in a hoodie as well) but there's not much that can be done otherwise.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
For those of us who scrolled past the last few days...

good ride :bravo:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Rudager posted:

I hit a dog with my foot at 70km/h about 20 minutes and my dririder touring boots didn't soften the blow much.

Pitch black coming home from work at 2am, just about to get back into town when I see a white dog, so I slow right down and let it go about it's business, then I twist the throttle and all of a sudden smash my foot into something that lets out a giant yelp.

The dog seemed fine, probably going to have a bit of a headache though, but my foot loving aches.

Don't lie...you stuck your boot out to give it a big kick mootmoot style. The road is yours and anyone moving in on it gets a clothesline to the dome.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
hosed up...I ride that bit once or twice a year, I like the other side of the river better.

Sounds like a weird accident, will be interested to get more info. My first thought was AFJ but that's a bit too far south for them.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 31, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

dietcokefiend posted:

This just unfolded down the street from my house today :(

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_news/2-motorcycles-collide-with-semi-catch-fire-in-new-richmond

For a bit of :smith:

Ride safe folks, heard second hand from the woman in the van behind that the guy likely just target fixated into the truck and then a mess of poo poo happened afterwards. It helps me to remember the fundamentals and appreciate every return from a ride.

And for lurkers, again, take the drat MSF.

edit: I don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat but I currently have a friend who wants to ride and is avoiding doing the class at all costs because he thinks he has the confidence and skills already...I just don't want him to be the next story :(

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 9, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's some sportbike forum poo poo.

edit: LOL just caught a speed limit 25 sign.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 27, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
[z3n engage]
weeks is too long. you should be checking your tires hourly.

But seriously weeks is too long. I check mine every third time out or so. Lax when commuting and putting, doubly so when weather is changing or I'm going to ride hard.

Edit: and for people worrying about adding air, I use a bicycle pump. You don't have to go to the gas station, just buy a T pump and check your tires.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 10, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Aargh posted:

Really? Mine get checked about once a month or before any long trip. I've never seen them lose more than 2-3 psi max and that's when I've left it a bit too. I've no delusions that i ride anywhere near their performance though so this probably makes a lot of difference.

Really. I only have two pieces of rubber keeping me in contact with the pavement so the extra 1 minute it takes to make sure they're at the right spec is no skin off my nose. I check out other parts of the bike as well, it seriously takes a few minutes and if I spot something (which I have, backed out bolts, loose water hoses, messed up turn signal to name a few) then that isn't an issue I have to deal with on the road. Have the MSFers already forgotten? http://micapeak.com/info/T-CLOCK.html

I don't really understand attitudes like:

MotoMind posted:

I wouldn't stress tire pressures. You might get a marginal improvement from higher tire pressures in certain circumstances, but on the whole it makes gently caress-all difference if you're not doing something wrong to begin with. For perspective, I ride around on squared-off dual sport tires at anywhere between 15 and 30 PSI. I couldn't tell you where they're at now, and I shouldn't have to since I ride within personal limits that don't approach the limits of my tires.

(And, in theory, somewhat lower PSI means more traction anyway, since you have a greater contact patch.)

Riding in your personal limits is well and good but the thought of emergency braking on a tire that's half it's recommended pressure is terrifying to me. I ride within my personal limits as well, and I do it on properly functioning machinery. Your attitude, to me, is equivalent to "well my brakes are old as hell, the fluid is off and the lines are shot. They've been working less than 50%. I couldn't tell you how strong they are now, and I shouldn't have to since I ride within personal limits and don't approach the limits of my brakes.

CA crash thread: Don't stress about tire pressures, on the whole it makes gently caress-rear end difference.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 11, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah dude, I let a 600 ride me around for years before I learned how to ride on a 250.

The reason you have to sell it to upgrade is because you've learned how to ride. You skipped that part and just got the big bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jose Pointero posted:

I'm saving up to buy gear for when I finally get a bike, and I'm looking at Shoei for a helmet. Should I really just get a cheaper one? I figured head protection is the one thing I really shouldn't skimp on...but is Shoei just overpriced or are they really that good?

e: Planning on getting either the Neotec or Multitec if it matters.

Go somewhere where you can see a few different brands and give them a try. Pretty much any helmet is going to protect your dome. The differences in price come with the quality of the visor/vents/other accessories and fit.

• Locked thread