Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm accident free so far, but my friend, also a goon, had a bad wreck last Tuesday. He was on his way to the Homestake gold mine, he does some graduate research there, in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Extrapolating from what little he remembers and reports from the people who found him, he swerved to miss an animal and wound up at the bottom of a ravine. No one saw the accident and there's a lot of tall grass in the area, so he was stuck with two broken legs and a broken hand while cars drove by unaware of his plight. Thankfully, someone who lived in the area noticed a pair of shoes that had fallen out of my friend's backpack. The guy found him trying to drag himself up to the road for help; we're not sure how long he'd been stuck down there.

He made it out of the accident free from neck, head, and vital organ injuries, but he messed up both his legs and one hand. The hand needed some pins and a plate and one leg needed some pins. The other leg, though it had surprisingly good movement in the foot, was so badly damaged there wasn't anything to reconstruct. On Saturday he went into surgery and they amputated below the knee.

He was wearing a full face helmet at the time and we're pretty sure he would have been dead or severely injured without it. It was one of those flip up front deals and the whole front bar got ripped off. He's lucky to be alive, but it was pretty crushing to lose the leg, especially when we spent Tuesday through Friday thinking that they might be able to save it. Not sure what the lesson is here, other than to be careful since poo poo can happen whenever. I live in a different state so I haven't seen him yet, but I plan on heading up to visit once most of his surgeries are done since he'll be off his feet for 6 weeks. Any advice on things that might help him out would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, he's the type of guy who's always outside doing something too, so I imagine boredom will get pretty bad. He'll be moving in with his parents for the rehab, which will put him within 3 hours of me and make it MUCH easier for me to get up there and hang out. I'm thinking I'll load up an external HD with movies, grab some books, maybe see if find some good projects we could do inside.

• Locked thread