Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
First, I'm glad all of you are able to come back with these reports!

This all happened back in February, and my husband posted a bit about it in the scooter megathread.

Situation
We had a 55 degree day in February, so I took our Honda Elite 80cc out for the day. Rode home from downtown at 5 PM, the last thing I remember is stopping at a stoplight on a one-way. The next thing I knew, I was looking up at a building from the ground, and was pretty sure I was dreaming. Passed out again quickly, woke up in the ambulance where Barack Obama was talking to me. Repeated husband's cell phone number over and over, passed out again. Woke up in the MRI machine. Out again, Woke up when husband was catching a brief glimpse of me as they wheeled me through the halls-- we weren't married yet, so they wouldn't let him in.

From the accident report we learned that a drunk driver turned the wrong way down the one-way I was on, about two blocks after what I last remember. I had a green, was going about 30-35 in the right most lane with two stopped or slowed cars in the left lanes. They were waving him away, I probably thought they were stopped because they'd just come off a red. All three witnesses--- two in the cars and one on foot -- said that I couldn't possibly have seen the drunk driver. He swerved into my lane, my face took off his passenger-side mirror, he drove off and was found a few blocks away.

Damage Report
The day after:

Three months later:

Broke my face, jaw, tibia and fibula-- now have a tibial nail and a limp. Broke some teeth. Lacerated liver and a nasty concussion that I think I'm finally getting over. I don't remember most of February and up until the last couple of weeks I had a hard time remembering many small things.

Wish I had a picture of the bike. It went home with husband's parents. Seems like the frame is bent, but it runs okay, I think. Father-in-law and I very much want to resurrect zombie scooter, but that's probably not feasible.

Lessons Learned
Wear a full-face helmet. Wouldn't have broken my jaw, face or teeth. No amount of gear could have helped my leg, but had I a full-face helmet, I may have avoided the concussion as well. At least I was wearing goggles: I have a feeling they helped save my right eye.

If any of you fuckers don't wear a helmet: do, for the love of god. There was nothing I could have done to forsee or avoid this accident, and I absolutely would have died without my helmet. Recently had a convo with an acquaintance who told me that he is "a good rider" who "won't need a helmet". Okay.

Can't wait to get a new scoot, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Yeah, I really almost died. There was a lot of internal bleeding.

3/4 style helmet.

The guy was charged with Serious Injury with a Motor Vehicle and got a whopping 5 years in prison; they told me if he was "the worst prisoner in there" he'd see 2.5. Which is kind of okay. The dude is homeless and he's going to one of the not-terrifying state prisons, so in my mind I'd kind of rather he goes back to his lovely life, I guess.

Definitely will ride again. The upside of not remembering the accident is that I don't have a fear of getting back on the horse. I do, however, have this newfound "life could end at anytime and you won't even know it" fear. :)

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Niiiiiiiiice bike. I'm glad you made it out undamaged.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Nerobro posted:

The fix
The fix... oh boy.

Oh. God. Do you have to keep those in? I just got my rod out (halfway down page 3) and it was the best decision I ever made. Couldn't imagine having to live with metal.

• Locked thread