Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Daggerpants posted:

Really? ... just let this slide? In any case, it was probably fated that you would down your Yamaha. I'm assuming you got a GSX-R instead, and a new pair of sandals to ride in. Maybe some new Bermuda shorts and a wife beater to really "set it off."

Isn't abunchofnumbers the one that lost an arm? I'm assuming due to this crash? I remember hearing something about that. If that's the case, something tells me that learned him enough of a lesson. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

VTNewb posted:

Yeah, I've been street riding for 5 years now, but I mostly do dirt riding since I was a kid which is rear locking constantly. I was going to show disdain if they didn't make you lock your rear, but seems all good.

They don't actually purposefully tell you to lock the rear (at least not in the class I was in), but the emergency stop exercise resulted in half the class locking it up. We were just instructed on what to do if we ever did lock it up in the real world, going faster than 15 MPH or so.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Just had my first real "near miss." Entirely my fault, luckily I squeaked through without more than a bruised ego and a bit of adrenaline. Headed north on Laurel Canyon blvd, traffic was crawling. We got to Mulholland, and the car in front of me in the left lane signaled to turn left. The pickup truck with trailer next to me was turning right. The gap was small between the truck and car, but as the truck turned it started widening. I tried to split through to go straight, and forgot about the trailer until I was between the vehicles. Inches from the car, I swung my right foot out a little to gauge how far I was from the trailer, and basically kicked off the trailer's tire as it was rolling. I don't think anyone but me noticed, but drat if that didn't wake me right the gently caress up.

Patience, people!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

A thousand times this. gently caress people who think that hit and run is ok because they got away with it.

Fixed.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
So how close did you actually come to those trees? That looks like it could have been way worse.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
This isn't my crash, but it definitely reinforced what I already knew and feared about target fixation, improper braking, wearing gear, and getting complacent.

We came across this guy yesterday on our SoCal AI Pre-BBQ cruise on Angeles Crest Highway.

From what I saw, I've come to the conclusion that the guy probably:

• Came through the tunnel too fast, probably spurred on by his own exhaust note.
• Saw the turn at the exit, fixated on the bright orange marker at the side of the road, and locked up his rear tire (the rear disc was blued, the pads almost gone, while the front was barely worn at all, this guy had a propensity for avoiding the front brake).
• Skidded for like 80 feet (maybe more, I'm bad at estimating distances like this), from the exit of the tunnel straight into the orange marker against the stone wall.
• The bike glanced off the wall, and tumbled a couple times to come to rest on its right side.
• The rider was thrown off the bike into the wall, hitting mostly his torso, as well as his head. His right foot was probably caught between the bike and the wall at a point, because it was bent pretty badly.
• He ends up a little further down from the bike, on his back next to the wall with a bunch of lacerations on his torso and arms, and probably a concussion, broken/cracked ribs, and a hosed ankle. Also his bike was toast. Pretty much every forward control cable was shredded, and both foot rests were bent into the bike.

The first of our crew got there just in time as well, his buddy was trying to take his helmet off as we rolled up. Someone had a first aid kit and did what they could, I handed over my water bottle for the cause, someone was able to dial 911, and someone else tore back up the mountain to tell the CHP further up (at an even worse MC accident... :smith: ). It was actually a pretty well coordinated reaction on our part, which was cool.

Wear your gear, and keep on your toes! This guy got lucky, in that he'll most likely get better. The Duc rider further up wasn't so lucky.

Click to go to the Flickr page. There's really nothing gory to see.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
gently caress, every time I see that page, I forget that its really nothing more than a bunch of tiny, blurry crash scene pictures and pictures of road rash - until the last few images. :gonk:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Jack the Smack posted:

Had a real doozy of a crash a few weeks ago.

Why does your SV1000 have an SV650 graphic on the front fairing?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Its a shame because the very last post he makes seems like nothing is really going too badly. He made it through the first year of law school, he's trying to unload some of his old motorcycling stuff on the board, and then... suicide. Obviously I didn't know the guy so I have no idea of his attitude throughout the later months of his life, but that was the sad part about it, the fact that he just gave up when he had seemingly started to wrangle his situation and continue with his planned life as best he could.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

the walkin dude posted:

Oh Deer.

You must have balls the size of grapefruits. I would simply be unable to ride in the dark around RIT out of sheer terror of hitting a deer. I hit one and near-missed another in my car within the span of a week. They were loving EVERYWHERE when I was there at school.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Cabledude posted:

Already plan on replacing it, Scorpion has a policy and all I need to do is send my old helmet to them and they'll ship me a new one for free.

What the gently caress policy is this? Do you need to register with them or something? Not that I plan on wrecking any time soon, but that would be good info to have.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Welp, dropped it for the first time in the year and ~2 weeks I've been riding. Stopped for gas, and literally as I'm coming to a stop a loving corrugated plastic "ERASE DEBT NOW!" sign blows right into the path of the front tire. Went down right away. Not much damage beyond the broken front right signal, as it was the same side the P.O. dropped it on.

Excuse to get flush signals!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Jabs posted:

:D

gently caress that, I'm putting that poo poo on 99% APR credit like an AMERICAN.

Payin' the minimum on my $35 signals, what

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
That's the most ballin' thing I've seen this week.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Dear Cycle Asylum, I never thought it would happen to me.

Man, do I wish this was a thread about bangin' hot coeds.

I was sideswiped on the 10 East in LA yesterday, around 4:45 pm, right before the National Blvd exit. I was splitting in the right side of the #3 lane, and a silver Pontiac Sunfire came either from the left side of the #3, or from the #2 (I didn't even see the car until I was watching my arm take her passenger mirror off), and tried to get into the #4 lane via me. I closed my eyes immediately after getting hit in the left side, but I think I was tossed off the bike and hit on my right shoulder/forearm, then rolled and slid a little bit. There was zero opportunity to try and control the bike, which is why I think I was hit hard enough to be thrown right away. I was going 40-45, traffic was going 35-40.

I jumped up as soon as I stopped moving, as my first thought was "oh poo poo, please no one run me over," and I walked to the shoulder until I could get my wits back and see that traffic had stopped. I went back to pick the bike up, and somehow the kill switch had been flipped in the tumble which was convenient. Walked the bike to the shoulder and traffic resumed before I could grab the car's mirror or my right turn signal. gently caress you, LA drivers.

She stopped, thankfully, and had insurance, thankfully, and even called 911 right away. A CHP officer (very nice guy, of course recommended I don't lane split anymore) showed up 15 minutes later, and we went to the gas station to take statements, etc.

I don't really know how lane splitting factors into the fault determination, but I was just going straight, with plenty of space in the right side of the lane. Really in the end, I'm out a couple hundred for a new helmet, jacket, and turn signals. The forks are twisted, but not bent as far as I can tell. I rode it home without issue, but the handlebars were turned slightly to the right when going straight. I took surface streets, being less than a mile from home at that point. :sigh:

Gash on my forearm where I think my too-loose textile jacket moved, as well as on my shoulder where the jacket basically disintegrated. I know textiles are kinda one-use-only, but I think UV degradation of the synthetics was going on too (its seen 19 months of SoCal sun by now, almost daily). The shoulder of the jacket basically exploded. Other than that I'm just sore. I was pretty much set to be an ATTGATT kinda guy anyway, but this really drove that point home. The bike is rashed up slightly more than before on the right side, and I lost both front turn signals as well as got the twist in the forks, but other than that I don't think anything's broken.

Now to wade through the red tape of insurance and get a new helmet and jacket (going leather this time, I think).

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 5, 2010

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

henne posted:

You might want to see if her insurance will pay for your gear if she's determined at fault. It was damage caused by the crash like any other and I've heard of other people having luck with this.

That's the plan. I have accessory coverage on my plan but not collision. The accessory coverage only kicks in if the accident is covered by my plan. I've already got PDFs ready of order confirmations, etc. for the jacket and helmet. Curse me for getting a deal on the jacket, though. :v:

Who makes a more oval-shaped helmet than a Scorpion EXO-700, that offers at least yellow or orange if not something fluorescent? I've had a little pressure on my forehead from the helmet and wanted to try something else.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ohwandernearer posted:

You might not have to provide your purchase price, they should pay you market rate for your gear--find the most expensive listing of the jacket at a reputable site and don't submit your receipt.

Ok, I'll try that. They don't even make the jacket anymore, I'll just look for a similar one I guess.

E: Or just google shop it, duh.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 5, 2010

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

2ndclasscitizen posted:

A good tip whilst lane-splitting is not to watch for wheels turning or indicators coming on, but to watch drivers' heads. Even complete muppets will turn the head a little when they're going to change lanes.

Definitely, and I do this. I didn't see her car (or I don't remember seeing it) until the point of impact, which was surprising because I am constantly marking cars anywhere near my path of travel that have a chance to interfere with me. She was either blocked from my view by another car, or came from another lane entirely. I'm pretty sure for her statement she said she was traveling straight in the lane she hit me from, so its possible there was just a larger car behind her. People like to drive about 3 feet apart in LA, so that's not completely impossible.

And on the speed, that's definitely the upper end of what I normally will split at. I'm pretty sure the "unwritten" rule is not to split with a differential higher than 15 mph, and not to split when traffic is faster than 45 mph. The differential is important, but you really open yourself up to much more risk the faster everyone is going. I see people split on my morning commute going 90-95 mph when the traffic is cruising at 70, and it makes my balls jump into my throat.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Korwen posted:

Doesn't the MSF teach the practice of standing the bike up straight and braking quickly if you were in a turn and needed to stop? Is that the proper way?

That's the ideal way if you've got the space, but you can also ease on the brakes and bring the bike more upright as you slow down. Start out really easy on the brakes and apply more pressure the more upright you get. This way allows you to follow the turn more if there's not room to stop straight.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

Goddammit.

drat, dude. Still wanna go riding tomorrow?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SaNChEzZ posted:

I got it like 3 weeks ago.. :( I think I'm more depressed about the bike than anything. It was so clean lol.

That really sucks dude. Hopefully you can either find another as well sorted as that one was, or get it repaired back to good.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
He's part of the deaf community. From my time at RIT, I've learned that they have no shame. :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The part where the mirror just goes :flaccid: is just the saddest thing.

That little pile on the flatbed at the end was hilarious.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

redscare posted:

Second are the fixie types that ride like they have deathwishes, don't have brakes, and don't obey street signs or lights.

Jesus gently caress. I was a couple blocks from home and this loving lunatic on some all white fixie abomination was snaking back and forth across both westbound lanes of Adams, came around on my left (I'm in the #1) at a stop light and kind of meandered through the intersection on a red, then somehow split between opposing traffic that was moving as the light turned green. I'm genuinely surprised the rear end in a top hat didn't get creamed. There are constantly people walking across that street wherever they deem appropriate, but this guy honestly looked like he was trying to gently caress up his own day.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Bugdrvr posted:

God drat it and I was crash free for so long (15 years!).

Just wanted to reply to this even though its kinda old and has probably been resolved by now anyway, as it sounds pretty much exactly like my crash about a year and a half ago. Same exact situation, speeds, etc. The CHP officer was a little more professional, in that he didn't immediately make a determination and tell me I was at fault. Went through the other person's insurance, didn't seek any medical attention, got my settlement for the bike, physical injury and gear as three separate checks within a couple weeks. Basically had a couple phone calls with hers and my insurance companies, and mine stuck up for me and told them to gently caress off regarding me accepting any liability.

Ponied up for the report a week or two later, and I was determined to be at fault, being a "small and difficult to see vehicle traveling at an unsafe speed for the conditions." V:shobon:V

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Hey gently caress you, this thread! And gently caress LA drivers (actually a Texas transplant that's been here a week)!

Just went down on Cahuenga in Hollywood earlier today when I tried to avoid some loving asshat attempting an unsignaled left turn from the right lane. I just changed my front tire yesterday, that might have had a little to do with it, but I've put about 15 miles on it already and I think I just grabbed too much. Washed out the front, missed the fucker but laid down on the right side, and the bike slid just under the front of an oncoming Cherokee that slowed down enough to not kill me. He apparently ran over one of my arms (according to bystanders) but there's nothing to indicate as such.

Didn't contact the truck that I was avoiding, which might gently caress with insurance proceedings, but at least everyone stopped and I was looked over by EMTs, and a police report was taken. Waiting on my insurance in the morning.

From what I can see, the real damage is pretty much the handlebars, radiator and headlights. There's a couple dents in the tank where both handlebars hit it (right side mount rotated back when the bike came down, I guess the left side broke off when it hit the Cherokee). Rear brake lever's tip busted off. Hydraulic clutch and front brake reservoirs were both trashed so I've got DOT5 all over the controls and front end. I think I left most of the coolant in the street. The bike either shut off during the crash or someone else turned it off right after. Right side frame slider broke off, but the exhaust and front end took the slide.

Getting it onto the flatbed without one of the front wheel dollies and without any brakes/steering control was a bitch, as was getting it off. Left it at work so I'll have some room to tear it apart.

I've got good coverage, aside from collision. I figure if the guy I swerved to avoid isn't found liable at all, I'll just piece it back together and use this as an excuse to get some higher bars. The Cherokee should by all accounts be covered by my liability, but I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

I wasn't terribly banged up. My left thigh is pretty sore, as well as my left wrist. Tourmaster jacket held up remarkably well, as well as the Scorpion pants (this is their second trip to the asphalt, in fact).

Also got like half a dozen different personal injury rec's from random passerby. Hollywood. :psyduck:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 6, 2012

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Welp, the Tahoe's (the guy I avoided) insurance is accepting all liability, and I'll be getting a rental while the SV is being repaired. Just gotta get it over to the shop. :toot:

That's gotta be the fastest turn around I've had. My stolen car claim was resolved in about a week, the last moto crash was about the same. I gave a statement to all three companies involved, mine and the guy I hit were on my side from the sound of it, and the last company called back accepting liability within about 45 minutes of my statement to them.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yep, not going to have to fix that flat rear tire.
It's the little things!

Hah, that loving sucks but it reminds me that I have a full new set of brake pads for the SV that I can look into selling now. :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Visited a friend last night in the ICU. Well, I guess it might be more accurate to say that we visited his wife, and looked at him. Details of the accident are sparse at best. He might be awake by this morning, but they were keeping him knocked out yesterday. His wife said he opened his eyes around 3:30 or so this morning.

He broke pretty much everything: both tibiae, his left femur (which was sticking out through his pant leg, nothankyouverymuch), at least one wrist and at least one forearm bone, along with other smaller stuff like collarbone(s), etc. "Some" brain hemorrhaging, which he had a CAT scan this morning to determine if it was worsening at all (I don't know the results yet). We were assured that some brain bleeds were expected, but it obviously becomes problematic if things get worse in that area. Other than that, he didn't damage his spine or neck, thank goodness. He's still going to be recovering for a long time.

Unless he remembers the accident or we can locate a security camera at the nearby school or shops, its going to be tough to really determine what happened. He was riding in the Atwater Village/Echo Park area in LA, leisurely Sunday ride to a friend's house. The vehicle that hit him gave their report that he had blown a red light coming out from a side street, and had been turning to head in the opposite direction from where he was supposed to be going. Just all around odd circumstances that don't add up with him and the way he rides; like I said unless he remembers it, it'll be tough to determine what went down.

I'm typing this all up at work right now because its still right at the front of my mind and preventing me from focusing. I hate that it's basically causing me to reevaluate riding myself, but that's definitely a factor as well. Be safe out there.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 23, 2012

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

himajinga posted:

Wow, that sounds horrific, hope your friend comes through as ok as possible.

Any idea how much gear he was wearing?

Considering which bike he was on, I could say a 3/4 helmet, a 20 year old (but halfway decent) jacket, some jeans and some variety of sneaker. He unfortunately was of the "its just the small bike" mindset. :( From the extent of the damage, I don't know how much actual gear would have helped to be honest.

He had his femur reconstruction surgery today, we hope to find out how it went soon. He'll have like 5 pins between the two breaks. *shudder*

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

I saw it mentioned a few pages back, but just wanted to remind folks that an AMA membership comes with roadside/towing for any car/bike that's "yours" (I've used it as passenger in a friend's car before) for around $35/yr.

FYI I've been told by an operator that the roadside doesn't include accident towing. They'll call a truck still, but it will cost you. You can ostensibly get around this by just saying it "won't start" which is covered. You also can't get assistance more than once in a week, or 10 days or something. Still probably the best value, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Watched a moped with 2 people on it rearrange the rear quarter of a Suburban about 20 minutes ago. Ugh, that crunch of glass and steel made my leg hurt all over again. Slow down, LA!

E; To make this a little less depressing, we went to see our friend in the hospital who I posted about several weeks ago. He was out in the courtyard with a few other friends when we got there, playing some Scrabble and generally looking a thousand times better than when we first saw him in the ICU 7 weeks ago. Lots of memory loss and confusion/frustration to go along with it, but he's hanging in there He's beginning to actually comprehend that he has memory loss, which was tough.

Just a couple weeks ago there were interspersed strings of rambling nonsense words mixed in with perfectly coherent sentences in his conversation, none of that today (though still some aphasia/word replacement, but he caught it a few times). All of his casts are off, which is great. He's still in a wheelchair, and will be moving to an outpatient physical therapy location tomorrow. While he's still not at 100%, he's made huge strides and it was really amazing to see him outside and alert today. :unsmith:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 10, 2012

• Locked thread