Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Here's mine. I wish people would stop posting threads about crashing or almost crashing though. I'm starting to get all :smith: about bikes lately.

Saturday, April 5, 2008
Well I feel like an idiot. I lowsided my SV on Palomar today. Ran the front end into the guardrail post, turned the front rim from an O to a Q, and bent the forks. Everything rear of the handlebars looks okay, except the rear brake lever, which somehow got twisted despite me going down on the left.

I'm not sure entirely what went wrong. I think I was expecting the turn to end sooner than it did, and I wasn't looking through as much as I should have. I think as I realized I was going wide, I started watching the white line instead of looking through and leaning more. I did hit the brakes, I'm not sure if that washed the front out or what, because I thought I stood it up before I did.

Anyway, the good news is that conditions couldn't have been any better for the crash. I might have a tiny bruise on my right shin, but otherwise I'm 100% fine. There's not a scratch on my helmet, gloves are solid, and I put a little bitty hole in the knee of THE PHANTOM.

Just as I was starting to get nowhere trying to talk to the insurance people with bad reception and a dead battery, two guys in a truck came by and offered to give me and the bike a lift. Turns out the one dude had a flat on his DR400 supermoto and had to call his buddy in the truck, they saw me on the way down and said, "Hey, room for one more." Insurance lady managed to convey that someone would get in touch with me on Monday, so I hopped in the truck and chilled. I wish I could have bought those guys a case of beer or something, but I had to get home in a hurry, and didn't have any cash on me. Oh well. Pay it forward I guess.

Last moments:

Looking back through the turn:

On the horn with insurance, you can just barely see the skidmarks in the dirt:

The damage:

I let the insurance company take the bike. The amount they were willing to sell it to me for wasn't worth it, given that I'd have a bike with a salvage title in need of a new front end. I bought another 2002 SV, see above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread