Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Whiteboy posted:

He has a nice leather jacket that he wears (wore it in the crash, definitely saved his arms and chest) and he even has decent gloves with plated knuckles and such but he doesn't wear it.
Don't worry though, I'm almost positive when he is fully healed and fixes his bike he will definitely think twice about riding naked and trying to stunt.

Sounds like he should be thinking twice about riding at all..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Why even bother with such a test? Like Endless Mike said, if your cheek hurts then that means you copped a decent blow to the head and the impact lining of the helmet has done its job in that area - a new helmet is a no brainer.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I do not often talk like this, but my (short) time riding and the (small) number of kms I've done so far, has demonstrated that there are some thoughtless, inconsiderate cunts on our roads who will think nothing of overtaking you without actually leaving your lane to do it. On numerous occasions a car has appeared in my peripheral vision suddenly, overtaking me in such a way that I no longer have full use of my own lane, should I need to swerve to avoid something on the road. This is one of my biggest peeves since starting to ride (I make an effort to "own my lane" more in recent times in an attempt to stop this from happening).

I can totally see how if you couple obliviousness with these thoughtless tendencies, you can get sideswiped by a loving douchebag towing a trailer who then doesn't stop. This is giving the person in question the benefit of the doubt and assuming it was not a deliberate act.

Shouting Melon, I'm glad you're ok and there were witnesses who chased this arsehole down. I sincerely hope this is treated very seriously and his/her life is made very difficult as a result of this.

EDIT: Just one thought, I wonder if the driver forgot he/she was towing a trailer (assuming it was the trailer which hit our friend). A while back I was a passenger in a loving Mitsubishi Pajero (not a small car!) and a dude towing a surf boat just merged over towards us like we weren't even there. When the sheer WTF-ness of the situation wore off (after the dude copped a good blast of horn and some incredulous looks from us), it dawned on us that the dude probably doesn't tow the trailer that often and just forgot it was even there..

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 11, 2011

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Shouting Melon posted:

I was kind of thinking the same thing, actually. If he hadn't been towing the trailer he'd probably have missed me - admittedly, by only a couple of centimeters - but I'm fairly sure it was the trailer that got me.

According to the guy who chased him down, though, the trailer was full of lawnmowing equipment, so it's quite possible that he spends most of his time on the road towing it around between jobs.

Ahh yeah, sounds like maybe he's used to the trailer then. To be clear, forgetting about the trailer would still not make it ok, of course. If you are attaching something to your car which changes its dimensions or handling, it is absolutely your responsibility to remain aware of it and drive accordingly.

Looking forward to hearing the thwack of the book hitting this dick in the face.

As for people crossing the centre line around blind corners etc., this prospect scares me a lot. Seeing it happen makes me angry..

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Saga posted:

IME this tends to happen a lot with scooters and slower bikes. Are you on a 250? It's happened to me only when riding my TY250 and my old KDX220 (top speed 45-50 on both I reckon) on open roads..

Yes I'm on a 250, though at the times when it's happened I haven't really been holding anyone up except those impatient types for whom the speed limit isn't enough. I have noticed that if drivers see an L or P plate (for learner or provisional riders) they will fall over themselves to get around you to avoid being held up by you. Again, even if you're doing the speed limit anyway. I have also had 5 or 6 cars deny me a lane change on the on-ramp of a motorway when my lane was ending - presumably so they wouldn't get held up by me. By the time I was able to merge my lane had disappeared and I was riding on the shoulder.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Failing to see why this an issue, I would've just kept going up the shoulder (That's the only thing that makes the M5 bearable).

It was an issue because I was very green and 5 or 6 pricks sped up to stop me from changing lanes, despite the yellow plate on the back of my bike telling them that I'm new to this and they might want to factor that in to their behaviour.

I did keep going up the shoulder until I had the space to merge, I just didn't appreciate the actions of those other drivers.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

BIG BOY GEAR YAYYYY

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Crayvex posted:

I have attachments for knee pucks but I've never bought any. Do people really use them on the street? (Mind you I'm a pussy on my sport bike)

I actually intended to take mine off and replace them with a piece of fabric to cover the velcro up, but I ran in to a little problem in that these things seem loving IMPOSSIBLE to remove. The velcro is ridiculously strong.

That said, they have come in very handy for me actually, when I kneel down to check my tyre pressures. :P

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It's not really big boy gear since you have the physique of a particularly scrawny 12yr old.

It's true, I have been known as "the praying mantis" in the past. I'm slightly flabbier now than I was back then though, which is pretty ridiculous.

Bondematt posted:

I think I just got a little wet, and I'm a dude.

You might wanna get that checked out!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

gently caress yeah, awesome! What now?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

LO Technology posted:

I seriously have no idea why people keep doing this. I've heard it a lot though, but only from Americans. Is the loving car-autobox an issue here or what?

This is not intended as a flame, I'm just genuine curious. I've never heard that crash excuse from any European.

Riding really fast is 30% knowing your gearbox, 30% knowing your brakes, divide the remaining 40% between clutch, frame, suspension and torque-curve.

I just have a really hard time trying to understand this. Why panic? It should take 1/10 of a second to realize that you're not in gear. You should realize this by just half releasing your clutch. 1/10 sec. later you should be fine.

Anyway. I'm glad you survived and the bike only took "minor" damage. I surely wouldn't like any of my bikes in your "minor damage"-zones though.

I don't know why, but I am reading this in the accent of Valentino Rossi.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

When I start on hills I use the back brake to hold me in position and as I increase the revs and let the clutch out I release the brake. You shouldn't even need to use the front brake I wouldn't have thought?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Drifter posted:

It's a little strange to remove a point of stability when you don't have to, especially on a steep incline. Why make it more complicated for such a tiny thing?

Granted, the way I've learned was to use my front brake with the throttle and the whole roll-on/roll-off throttle/brake thing. I don't want to be a person to say another way is wrong (I rarely have both legs down), but with both legs on the ground, you'll never tip over. Besides, I really never used my rear brake for anything - but the ninja250 has a crappy rear brake system I've been told. :human being:

Also, two fingers resting on your brake at all times could help save your life in an emergency. It may be uncomfortable at first, but deal with it, it gets comfortable again.

In Australia we are taught to come to a stop with our head up, in first gear and with our foot on the rear brake. They call this the ready position, and it allows you to get the gently caress out of dodge if you check your rear view mirrors (also something we are trained to do every time we slow/stop) and see that someone does not appear to be slowing to a stop behind you. So I guess that means I don't see it as removing a point of stability at all because I am always stopped with my left foot only on the ground. You only need one leg to be stable, unless there is an earthquake going on or something.

My VTR250 can't have the most powerful rear brake either but I have not ever had trouble holding it on a hill (and Sydney has plenty of those).

I'm pretty sure I remember being told not to leave fingers covering the brake at all times in our training as well, just as an aside.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I'm fairly sure that a headache and nausea after a hit to the head are classic signs of concussion, dude.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Glad it wasn't a bad one dude.

In Australia they teach you to check your mirrors as you're slowing to a stop, to ensure that the car behind you appears to be slowing also. We are also taught to come to a stop in first gear, left foot down, ready to launch immediately if need be. I presume they teach something equivalent in the MSF?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

fingerling posted:

So I've had my first bad accident. Well, two weeks ago..
I was going to dinner on the 3rd of July, at about 7 pm.. I remember riding along Magill Road, when I noticed the car in-front of me was turning right (Southern Hemisphere), so I did a shoulder check, and rode around it.
I was doing 60, and as I turned back, I got blinded by light as someone turned in front of me. I kinda remember jumping on the brakes and leaning left, to no luck. I'm guessing they were doing about 30, so it was quite a solid hit.
I know this is one of those clichéd things, but I've been told by the officer that he was expecting me to be dead, basically.
I'll maybe post a thread about it once I have some more time, but I'll just give a rundown of my injuries.. My nose has been broken in 3 places, my jaw broken in two, I broke 6 vertebrae, 5 ribs, punctured both of my lungs.. and knocked out like 10 teeth. Oh, and my wrist.
I got Kawasaki to assess the damage, and got a call today. Apparently $20,000 damage.
Sorry if this post seems a muddled, I'm still feeling a little light headed. I've also gone from 118 kilos to 88 as of today..

Jesus mate, that's loving brutal. Sorry to hear about it, but glad you're (relatively, compared to the alternatives) ok. Heal up quick!

Sounds like the car in front of you blocked you from the view of the driver who turned across you, basically?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

invision posted:

Holy poo poo you got hosed up. Sorry dude. That's loving horrible. Other driver had insurance I hope.

Thankfully in Australia third party personal injury insurance is compulsory, and is either included in your license fee, vehicle registration fee, or must be organised by the individual before their vehicle is considered legal to register, depending on the state you're in.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Who coasts around in neutral in a manual car?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I love how with that list of loving stupid things leading up to that accident, Police are trying to ascertain whether speed was a factor. Give it a rest, guys. The bike was unroadworthy, the riders had no helmets. Don't over think it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

What everyone else said, man. That sucks. Rib injuries are the pits, too. :(

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

That sucks dude. :( What model GoPro, by the way?

If you have a headache and feel slow after bashing your head, I would think a trip to the hospital might be advisable?

EDIT: I see you edited your post. Yeah, I'd suspect you do have a concussion and should be getting checked out.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 23, 2014

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

You're going to the hospital, right dude?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

My foot comes up and is on the peg pretty much simultaneously with the clutch lever coming out, I don't get the dragging thing at all and I (probably incorrectly) peg people I see doing it as people what don't ride good.

I also like to see how slow I can go with feet up, and try to avoid putting feet down at all if the traffic situation allows for it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

A guy in front of me in stop and go traffic yesterday came to a complete stop and waved a dump truck waiting at a cross street across opposing traffic and into his lane ahead of him. This took probably the better part of a minute. His feet never came down once, and also never came down during that several-mile stretch of stop and go low speed lovely commuter traffic. He was on a Harley.

Some people, man. I can only assume his other car is a unicycle or something.

That's loving impressive. Once I'm stopped, my feet are on the ground within a second or so without fail, I'm sure.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Halo_4am posted:

'I would rather live living than live afraid of dying'

You mean die living, right?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

n8r posted:

Wow - that's great that you're alive and going to make a full recovery. That sort of accident just goes to show that even wearing gear won't stop serious injury when enough forces are involved.

Is this a thing people actually need demonstrated? I see people on Facebook using this as a justification for not wearing gear and it's the most :psyduck: thing ever. Of course gear isn't going to protect you from everything, just the same as seatbelts don't. But you still wear a seatbelt, if you're not a loving idiot.

Batcat, that's hosed dude. I hope you heal up well.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

It's been a bad week for QLD-based bike goons, eh?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Razzled posted:

So in the last few weeks we have: Thunderblat, Guy Gets Run Over By Audi, Ghost Braker, Guy Headbutts Car

Looks like Summer is finally here.

:getin:

At least two of those accidents happened in the Southern Hemisphere.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Here4DaGangBang posted:

At least two of those accidents happened in the Southern Hemisphere.

I just remembered the guy who got run over was an Aussie as well. So at least three of those accidents happened in the Southern Hemisphere. Can't remember what the thunderblat refers to so for all I know we could claim all four!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I'm concerned he may have sustained a head injury, his attitude sure is raising a red flag...

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Slavvy posted:

HCC in your shoes I'd be unable to sleep at night knowing there's a loving metal pole inside my loving legbone.

It beats the alternative!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Shimrod posted:

Motherfucking. Went to turn off the road or front of work, was braking with front brake and my hand slipped a little, chopping the throttle. Queue highside. loving hell. Bikes ridable, will need new fairing. Gear protected me from any real injury. Forgot my pre ride ritual and was half asleep/running late for work. Zzz.

Bummer, dude. :(

Do you mean chopping the throttle as in cutting it, or blipping it?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Probably blipping if he highsided.:smith:

What bike was it?

That's what I figured. "Chopping" to me means rapidly closing the throttle, which I figured was universal but maybe not...

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Is..is that a back-up camera on his dash display?

I think you're seeing through the windscreen to the cars in front?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

What are you guys seeing that I'm not? There is a car in front illuminated by his headlights, which is the only thing I can see which contrasts with the darkness of the inside of the cabin. There does appear to be a reversing cam under the Chevy badge on the rear of the car, but I'm pretty sure we're not seeing the screen for it in the clip.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Still retarded.

No question!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

-Inu- posted:

Hospital bills have started coming in from my crash a few weeks ago :getin:

Mother of god.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Glad you got off light, sewersider For professional drivers, cabbies really are the least professional drivers you'll ever see, they're terrible.

Fishvilla posted:

Glad you're okay. Also, I hadn't seen an MT-09 before, but they look awesome and now I want one.

As a new rider I'm wondering how to try and avoid this type of incident.

Hi-vis gear helps being seen even when you aren't moving, but it isn't going to protect against a driver who has turned around and is looking behind them.

Assuming there is nothing in front of you to block oncoming traffic from seeing you, would you want to move to the outside portion of the lane so you can 'escape' to the side more easily? Anything else you should be doing at this type of stop (crosswalks where there isn't always a stop sign/light)?

Always check your mirrors as you slow to a stop to ensure the car behind you also appears to be slowing, and come to a stop in first gear with your left foot on the ground and right foot braking. That way you're ready to go if poo poo is about to hit the fan and you happen to notice it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Isolationist posted:

Location Australia (warning; riding on the left and metric measurements incoming!). Six months ago, I crashed my blue Suzuki Bking due to getting into a bad situation and over-braking and lost the front end (combo of got unlucky & rider error/insufficiently careful).

After being jerked around by a repairer, after six months I got my bike back on Tuesday. Today I geared up and went to take the bike for a proper ride, first in six months (have kept skills up daily riding on my family's beater motard in the meantime). I left my home and headed into the hills, reaching them after twenty minutes of riding. I was on a narrow, extremely twisty 80 KP/H road with a steep hill/cliff off the road to the left, and a hill/cliff face to the right of the road. A car pulled out in front of me and started doing 40 KP/h, crossing over the double-white (DO NOT CROSS) lines willy nilly and following lazy 'boating' lines through blind corners. I kept a respectable distance from the idiot, however not enough.

Coming up to a right hand blind corner, the car disregarded the centre line and wandered over into the oncoming lane. A Firestorm came around the corner with a good line, but quickly jumped on the brakes (standing the bike up) rather than rolling on the throttle and leaning further (we've all had these instant reactions, unfortunate but understandable). Bike nearly cleared the car, but clipped the rear right quarter panel of the car, destabilising the bike causing the rider (still heavily braking) to lose the front end mid way through the (for him) hard left hander, with the rider remaining on the (for me) incoming lane and his bike flying down the road completely covering my side of the road. I was about to enter the corner and started braking as hard as I could (front and back), with the rear wheel lifting noticeably. Couldn't scrub the (tiny) speed quickly enough given his bike was sliding towards me, so I t-boned his tank at a relative speed of maybe 15 KP/H, causing both bikes to come to a halt, with me falling off unceremoniously to the side.

This was an unlucky event (again), but I did not overcome it. I feel I made the right snap decision in not veering left (down cliff) or right (into rider/incoming lane), but I should have been a) allowing more follow room to the unpredictable driver given the blind/twisty conditions, b) quicker on the brakes, and/or c) able to avoid the spinning, sliding motorcycle rather than hitting it.

gently caress.

gently caress those cunts who don't give a poo poo about the centre line. The dumbest and most dangerous thing you can be doing on a twisty road like that.

Where did this happen?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

That seems extraordinarily unlikely, and it wouldn't happen instantaneously anyway.

Didn't one of our Aussie members in QLD have this happen, causing him to eat poo poo without warning? His nick escapes me right at this moment. I think he was on a Kawasaki.

Not to say that it's still not incredibly unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Chichevache posted:

I'm not Australian, I just say "oval office" a lot.

Haha, I remember now, it was Shimrod.

• Locked thread