Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Situation
Was riding my mom's bicycle at an estimated 20 KPH. Started doing a slalom, nothing crazy, when either I moved it over too fast, or the front brake locked, but whatever happend I got launched off the front left of the bike and came down hard on my shoulder and banged my head (no helmet either, durrr).

Damage report
The pain was excruciating to my shoulder, which had swelled. I also got a bit of road rash. I could barely move the shoulder up and down so I went to the hospital to get it checked out. 4 hours and a few x-rays later I'm told by a douche of a doctor that my collar bone isn't broken but that I have received an AC injury and it will take about 2 weeks for the pain to subside, and a month to heal. Thank god it's not a broken collar bone, but still. :( Also my head doesn't hurt much, either, just a tiny headache that comes and goes.

Gear
I was wearing runners, jeans, 2 shirts and a denim jacket. Nothing was damaged! ;p Not even the jacket where I got road rash. Tough thing it was.

Note to self: Don't be dumb, I guess. And even bicycles can hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Geez, man. Were you just wearing jeans/shorts to get all those scars? You'd think after the first, and definitely after the second, you'd get proper riding pants.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Shark face guy that fell, what were your tire pressures at?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

the walkin dude posted:

That story has made me frantically worried about not having a back protector that isn't a butterfly-shaped piece of foam. I'm already cautious as a rider, and it's good to have such disturbing poo poo like this to keep me pressing myself upward further on my toes.

I've always been worried about my back since I started riding. I even wear my bull riding vest which is good enough to stop a 1500 pound bull from crushing me to death, but even then I still feel vulnerable. When I buy a proper riding jacket, it is going to have the best back protector around.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
My good friend Rod, who helped fix up the fairing on my GSXR and helped me out by giving me a bunch of bits from his parts bike, was in a serious accident June 28th that I just found out about.

Apparently he was riding in Vancouver at city speeds with his buddy, when he passed out and the fell over on his left side. His helmet smashed on something hard and very specific enough to make a fist sized hole on the right hand side; his shoulder blade, clavicle and collar bone all broke or fractured. The EMT's said his speech wasn't coherent so they rushed him to the hospital and did a cat scan to find out that he had severe head trauma and bleeding of the brain on the right side. At the emergency room, his heart stopped and he nearly died. Then he went toxic and nearly died again. He was so out of it and hosed in the head that they put him in an induced coma for two days to try and let the brain heal.

When he was in the coma, the doctors told his family he might never walk again, and he may be in the hospital for two years. 5 and a half weeks later he was walking out of the hospital with a bag of chinese food in his hands. His shoulder is 90% back to where it was, and the doctors are completley astounded he was able to heal so fast.

He's still having some difficulties with his short term memory and cognitive abilities, but I saw him yesterday and he looks to be in really good shape considering. He has no recollection of what happend, and there were no witnesses. He could've had a stroke, he could've hit a pothole, he could've been sideswiped. No body knows and nobody can prove anything.

I'm just glad he's doing OK. They took away his drivers license and he may never get it back, which fucks over his career as he's an auto mechanic. So I'm really hoping he can get it back together because he looked really depressed when I saw him. Just posting this because it's my first experience with a friend in a serious crash :(

Also he was wearing full leathers and a fullface helmet, which were all trashed but saved his skin.

MrZig fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 28, 2010

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

dietcokefiend posted:

Drunk or something like a seizure?

Definitely not drunk. Nobody knows for sure what happend, only guesses from stroke to hitting a pothole. The internal bleeding could be from the impact or the stroke etc etc. Nothing is definitive, which is kind've worrying.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

The other guy he was riding with didn't see what happened?

His buddy was in front of him by a couple blocks, and there were no other witnesses. It's a guessing game.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I'm confused. The rider said the car hit him and took off, yet there's a tire mark on the rear bumper? Sounds like the rider rear ended him and the driver took off.

Which is still retarded, but I don't see how the car hit him unless he cut him off and the rider had no where to go except his bumper..

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Jesus. Glad you're ok. Check out the almost crash thread, I had the (almost) exact same thing happen, same weather, same bike. :tinfoil:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
My turn my turn! .......:(

Finally happend to me. Was going about 100 KPH when I noticed the next car in front of me was going quite a bit slower, so I applied front brake and - handlebars instantly lock to the left, next thing I know I'm on the ground sliding and rolling at 80 KPH while watching my bike slide away from me. After that all I remember is trying to stand up at what I assume was 40 KPH and flailing around. As soon as I came to a stop, I got up and ran over to the bike to get it off the road. Car in front stops, car behind stops and the driver gets out and helps me out. The car in front then took off, rear end in a top hat.

Anywho, the DR started right back up, and the only damage it suffered was the back left tail light snapped, but it still works! Just kinda flops around. The passenger foot peg acted as a slider, and the clutch lever was already previously broken so no damage there. As far as myself, my right knee is bruised, my right wrist is bruised and my lower back hurts a bit. I had dislocated my shoulder at the time of the crash but that happens about once a week so nothing new, popped it in and good to go. Nothing broken (I think), no road rash at all thanks to my leathers. I believe that the armor in my leathers helped me out a BIG deal. I even considered just wearing jeans before setting off. Thank gently caress I was smart today.. :)

I checked my air pressure and foudn it was 36 PSI in the front.. On knobbies. That, and I think I mighta applied too much brake at once locked it up almost instantly, and once the handlebars turned it was game over. No time to react, and I've locked fronts before..

I'm just glad I'm relatively ok and the bike has next to no damage.. Lesson learned :)

Bonus pics!

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

modify_evolution posted:

Holy crap guys, quit crashing. I'm like "I haven't checked this thread in 24 hours!" and BLEGH CRASHING. Including 33% of the goons I've met in real life. Stop that, needknees.
Glad everyone's okay.

After my crash yesterday, I iced my wounds, had a hot shower, took some advil and iced them some more. This morning I got up and my knee and wrist basically didn't hurt anymore, my back hurt less, but my shoulder still aches. I even went to work which was tearing apart a barn, utilising a crow bar and lots of physical labour.

If it wasn't for my gear I might have a lot of road rash, a broken collar bone or shoulder blade, and definitely a shattered knee cap. Gear prevented me from having a 1-2 month recovery, instead it's a few days, maybe a week at most of annoying pain.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Was pouring rain tonight, on my way home from a friend's with the '89 GSXR and got a little overzealous with the throttle from a stop light. Spun the tire all the way through the intersection, trying to keep it inline before it high sided me off. I'm okay, couple bruises but I was ATGATT so nothing worth mentioning. The GSX-R on the other hand has a broken mirror, front fairing, dent in the gas tank and a hole through the clutch cover. :(

If I'm not blowing up engines I'm crashing. loving motorcycles, why do they have to be so awesome yet so.. hurtful :smith:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Hahah that sucks. I'm laughing because it reminds me when I was practicing for my skills test on my GS400. I, too, was practicing the slalom except I gave it too much gas and the tire slid out (lovely old tires and wet ground), causing me to lowside at 5 kph.. Which also broke the clutch lever. I had to jerry-rig an ATV lever onto it for the skills test the next day! Passed though!

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Everything about that sucks so hard. Sorry man :(

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Nooo not Beck! lovely to hear that but at least its heal-able. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

the walkin dude posted:

Man, I wonder just what it's like to be a 18 year old on a SuperSport.

I'm turning 28 in two weeks. So old.

I bought my 1989 GSX-R 750 when I was 20. Not technically a super sport but still capable of 200 KPH+ speeds, and sub 4 second 0-100 KPH. It was fast, and I didn't kill myself. From my own experiences though, I'd try and make sure my future children don't get sport bikes until they're well mature. I definitely got lucky a few times.

• Locked thread