Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
My accident was in December. I left work and made it into the carpool lane on the freeway. I started splitting the lane to avoid the typically awful Los Angeles traffic. I recall going about 35mph. Then my memory stops.

I remember waking up on my back in the middle of the carpool lane. My helmet was off, and someone had stood my bike up on it's kickstand. I remember giving out my wife's phone number, and that the paramedic was British. He said he was also a Triumph rider. I remember going into the CT scan machine. Things came and went for a while. Eventually I was consistently conscious. The hospital released me the next day.

A few days later I was able to contact the officer who responded to the accident. He said no one hit me and, essentially I just fell over. I am not inclined to believe this, though I have no memory at all beyond what I've described.

I assume someone came across the carpool divider - a fairly common occurrence in the South Bay Curve (a rather nasty part of the 405 freeway) and I either locked the wheel or slipped. A witness seems to confirm this, but from the CHP's perspective since no one made contact with my vehicle I am completely at fault. The witness also mentioned I took on the freeway divider with my head.

For a few days after the accident I couldn't type well. I was quick to anger and would muddle my words. All that went away in a week or so.

My insurance company (Markel) took care of all the expenses with no hesitation or increase in rates. DIA motorsports (the mechanic associated with British Customs) took care of the bike and upgraded the living poo poo out of it in the process, at a grand total of no expense.

I've ridden it twice since I got it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Plates, car and a description of the cuntface behind the wheel.

Did the cops care? I wasn't hit, but I was run off the road a while back. When I called CHP from the side of the road they wouldn't take the plate number. The operator said if an officer didn't see it, they won't investigate it.

Then again, my example isn't hit and run while yours could be.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Z3n posted:

Loud horns save lives! :v:

The stock horn on my Thruxton sounded like a child whispering "meep." I upgraded to a 120dB horn. Now that child says meep in a regular voice.

Useless outside of my garage either way.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

teknicolor posted:

Kind of related, but I high-sided on a bicycle once and some dude in a passing car actually LAUGHED at me before driving away. One person asked if I was ok but didn't get out of their car.

That was years ago and I still have the scar on my knee. I am clumsy. :/

Something similar happened to me in high school. I wrecked my bike in front of a church, cutting my face and twisting myself up in the frame and handlebars. The parishioners going in made an effort to avoid my dazed, tangled mess. I was like a rock in a stream.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

I had an ambulance show for my accident, but I was also knocked unconscious for a bit and lucky enough to have a nurse on the scene. A single cop showed, but because the car that cut me off and caused the accident didn't contact my bike I was considered at fault.

The ambulance ride cost the insurance company about $1200.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

ijii posted:

if something simple happens to your bike, like scratched fairings and bent kickstands and clutches, be prepared to wait nearly a month for your bike.

A month is easy. When I crashed the Thruxton (somewhere in this thread), the bike went into the shop in December. I got it back in the beginning of March. drat British parts.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

redscare posted:

If you really want to get depressed as hell on a Monday, its your funeral

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136505

Hmm. I'm not sad. I'm proll'y just an rear end in a top hat though.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

Its a shame because the very last post he makes seems like nothing is really going too badly. He made it through the first year of law school, he's trying to unload some of his old motorcycling stuff on the board, and then... suicide. Obviously I didn't know the guy so I have no idea of his attitude throughout the later months of his life, but that was the sad part about it, the fact that he just gave up when he had seemingly started to wrangle his situation and continue with his planned life as best he could.

I'm with soy - not too sad over this. When I read the posts where he offered his books I thought, "Oh, he's going to off himself. Huh."

If this was someone I knew, I'd be sad. If it was a well presented story, it could be tragic. It's neither - it's an internet thread without much depth. Tragic poo poo happens all the time and it strikes me as unhealthy to get all worked up about it unless it's somehow made personal.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

I went down on Sunday afternoon. I was riding my friend's '99 Honda Valkyrie. Injuries are negligible though I'm in a small amount of pain where I landed on my hip. Other than that it's just stiffness and some rashing on my knees.

The accident occurred heading south on Mulholland Highway through the Malibu hills. The image doesn't really do it justice, but this is a straightaway coming out of a banked sweeper into a descending S-curve. Nothing ridiculous, but fairly technical.

So what went wrong? There are a few factors:

1) New rear-tire on the bike. It had been put on that morning and had about fifty miles on it. I was going slow to compensate, but it had slipped a bit on me in one of the prior turns.

2) Unfamiliar bike. Again, going easy to compensate, but it was my first time on the Valk.

3) Water from someone's yard had run across the street at about the red mark. This was followed almost immediately by loose gravel (there was a lot of it up there).

I entered the S-turn at around 25mph, slipped the rear wheel in the water, lost it in the gravel, and went into a low-side ending at the green mark. I'm not sure what I could have done differently, but am open to suggestions.

As I said, my injuries were minor. The gear did it's job and I came out pretty good. I did get a lot of grinding on the helmet and have no doubt I'd be dead without it. I was wearing a PowerTrip Black Diamond jacket, Triumph's short gloves, a Scorpion EXO-700 and jeans. If I'd had proper riding pants I think I'd be injury free.

The bike didn't get too beat up. The windshield is toast, the light bar is proll'y toast, I snapped a highway peg, and some of the chrome bits will need to be replaced.

By far the worst parts of this are the social element. The bike belongs to a friend (who's also my boss), and with two accidents in under a year my wife isn't exactly thrilled up about bikes right now.

OrangeFurious fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 2, 2009

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, explain this, since my EXO-700 is toast as a result of my accident.

Mine too. I demand more details on this policy.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Totally possible. Which reminds me to bug my insurance folks for a new lid.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Synonamess Botch posted:

You posted this here, and also in the "Almost Crashed" thread. Are you Schroedinger's Motorcycle?

The context changed from one thread to the other mid-post.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Synonamess Botch posted:

Uh... that's kind of my point? I'm assuming these were two separate incidents that he decided to post about at the same time, but regardless it was mostly a joke.

I tried to build on your joke. :smith: "Oh poo poo, going to crash - I better post this!" followed by, "Oh poo poo, I crashed while posting. Better change the thread."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Neckbeard v. 2.0 posted:

I tried to think of it, then realized that it was probably related to me anecdotally and when I went to look up places I'd been that allowed it (Cali, the UK, France, maybe the dutch or germans? not sure) none of them seemed to have that as part of the law, mostly just no more than X over traffic.

So I guess it was just some bullshit I've believed for a while. Thanks.

As I recall California used to limit lane splitting speed to 25mph or so. The CHP supposedly pushed for that limit to be removed. This is anecdotal though.

• Locked thread